• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Decent write-up of Losers and Winners of today's trades

Sammy Watkins is headed to L.A., and now Jared Goff has a No. 1 wide receiver. But it might be good for Goff and bad for Watkins. Here's why, plus fallout of who else is affected.

Here's my basic gist of these deals:
    What's really crucial, though, are those extra draft picks. As projected by FPI and using Stuart's chart, the Bills trading their sixth-round pick for Los Angeles' second-rounder and Philadelphia's third-round pick to trade Rams pick (37, fifth-lowest FPI projection) and Eagles pick (80, 16th-lowest FPI projection) for pick 190 (the Bills have the sixth-lowest projection and that was the sixth-lowest pick of the sixth round, obviously the exact pick will pend specific compensatory selections) is roughly the equivalent of acquiring the 16th overall pick in a typical draft (17.1 points, closest to value of 16th pick, 16.9 points).
    That gives the Bills what essentially amounts to three first-round picks in the 2018 draft, given that they'll have their own pick and Kansas City's selection from the Patrick Mahomes II trade. They can add a third-round compensatory pick for Stephon Gilmore if they cut three players from the group of DiMarco, Vladimir Ducasse, Ryan Harris, Andre Holmes and Steven Hauschka before Week 10, a move I would strongly encourage. Draft picks alone aren't a solution, but the best way to build a sustainably effective team isn't to trade up for a stud wide receiver or an inside linebacker, as the Bills did by sending multiple picks to acquire Reggie Ragland last season. It's to acquire draft picks and build a core of cheap, effective talent. As the Bills try to chase the juggernaut Patriots, they're wisely taking a page out of Bill Belichick's book.

• Gibby
    Power & Authority Demand Responsibility to the common good, and must never be abused.
    • Jun 2006

Re: Decent write-up of Losers and Winners of today's trades

This season will suck, but then again I have had them at 4-12 since I first saw the schedule so I knew it would be brutal, but if we don't have anything in 2018 that will be utterly inexcusable.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
      Making Spirits Bright
      • Mar 2006

We could have 4 picks in the top 40 of next years draft. I'm not mad about it.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

We are doing it the Belichick way. Good !
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Well maybe we can enjoy football in 13 months.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• JoeMama
            Emotion Sickness
            • Oct 2002

It's disappointing to be put in a situation where I have to write off the Bills one preseason game deep.

I wasn't expecting playoffs but I was thought good coaching could do a better job with our roster than Rex Ryan for sure.

Trading the present for an uncertain future never sits well with me. We've been through the "rebuilding" process with our previous four GMs too.

Rebuilding is a really inappropriate euphemism for it. No one should call it "rebuilding" until we know for a certainty the team has actually been "rebuilt." Which requires hindsight.
            Last edited by JoeMama; 08-11-2017, 03:02 PM.
            Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Ed
              • Sep 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
              I don't know if watching a rookie qb struggle and go through growing pains can be considered enjoyable, but 25 or 37 months from now might have some promise.

Comment

• kgun12
                • Jul 2002

I don't think that's possible on this board!
                Retired Air Traffic Controller
                USAF VETERAN
                DAV

Comment

• kscdogbillsfan1221
                  • Nov 2007

my guess is Shady is next..... i don't know. just a thought.
                  I came.
                  I saw.
                  I conquered.

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by kscdogbillsfan1221 View Post
                    my guess is Shady is next..... i don't know. just a thought.
                    Doubt that. He's our whole O this year. Run the ball and play tight D is the plan this year.
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Thurmal
                      • Oct 2005

For these trades to be considered successful, it all really hinges on:

A) Will Matthews be able to fill Sammy's shoes, and
                      B) If he does, can we resign him?
                      "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• sukie
                        Seriously?
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by JoeMama View Post
                        It's disappointing to be put in a situation where I have to write off the Bills one preseason game deep.

I wasn't expecting playoffs but I was thought good coaching could do a better job with our roster than Rex Ryan for sure.

Trading the present for an uncertain future never sits well with me. We've been through the "rebuilding" process with our previous four GMs too.

Rebuilding is a really inappropriate euphemism for it. No one should call it "rebuilding" until we know for a certainty the team has actually been "rebuilt." Which requires hindsight.
                        Why haven't you written them off already?

Comment

• JoeMama
                          Emotion Sickness
                          • Oct 2002

Originally posted by sukie View Post
                          Why haven't you written them off already?
                          Line 2.

Better coaching.

Not that I have to worry about that anymore.
                          Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                            Making Spirits Bright
                            • Mar 2006

The talent drop off between Sammy/Darby to Matthews/Gaines is not even close to being enough to claim that we don't have a shot at the playoffs. If we had a shot yesterday, we have a shot today. Not that we had a shot yesterday, but if you think we did, we still do.

Comment

• DraftBoy
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                              Doubt that. He's our whole O this year. Run the ball and play tight D is the plan this year.
                              Why keep him? If we're going to tank then let's at least not half ass that.

At this point Taylor, McCoy, Wood, Incognito, Glenn, K. Williams, Hughes, Dareus, Alexander, Hyde should all be available for a trade. I'd be open to flip Matthews and Gaines as well if they could net anything.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X