PDA

View Full Version : This isnt just Watkins for Mathews, and Darby for Gaines

Cali512
08-12-2017, 08:14 AM
Zay Jones and Boldin also play a part
Travious white and Kevyon Semours development plays a part
The new schemes play a big part

When you factor all the moves this off season, we aren't dropping off that much talent wise. We got rid of the players who really aren't proven who will need big paydays for young players, while stockpiling draft picks. We gave ourselves 4-5 years to get out of this cap hell, while still giving us some vets for a year to maybe make a quick playoff push. Also Watkins forced us to get the ball to him when he played, Tyrod spreads the ball much better when Watkins was injured.

SpikedLemonade
08-12-2017, 08:41 AM
I want us to go 3-13 this year and hit the 2018 Draft like a MF'er.

justasportsfan
08-12-2017, 09:05 AM

I just worry that we will.use our first 4 drafts picks next year on full backs

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-12-2017, 09:33 AM

don't you know anything? History has shown we aren't this stupid. It'll be 4 CB's. :)

Generalissimus Gibby
08-12-2017, 10:13 AM

Cornerback
Cornerback
Dimeback
Injury prone running back with a proclivity to do illegal substances

- - - Updated - - -

Cornerback
Cornerback
Dimeback

And most important of all, all will be named Williams

kingJofNYC
08-12-2017, 10:15 AM

**** winning 3 games, that cost us Cam Newton or Von Miller a few years ago. One game max, not ****ting you, I don't want to win anything.

SpikedLemonade
08-12-2017, 10:19 AM

These guys seem to know what they are doing and have a clear vision.

The DP just needs not get in their way and be supportive.

Terry and Kim should spend more time in Florida.

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-12-2017, 10:51 AM
These guys seem to know what they are doing and have a clear vision.

The DP just needs not get in their way and be supportive.

Terry and Kim should spend more time in Florida.

with Doug Whaley?

sorry couldn't resist. I'm extremely immature, and for one enjoyed your Kim/Whaley jokes

SpikedLemonade
08-12-2017, 10:55 AM
with Doug Whaley?

sorry couldn't resist. I'm extremely immature, and for one enjoyed your Kim/Whaley jokes

Notice that I call Terry Pegula the Dumb Polack butt I don't ever call him gay for the 3-way?

You know why?

"...because it is not gay when it is in a 3-way..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi7gwX7rjOw

TigerJ
08-12-2017, 07:58 PM
The trade was better current talent for a stronger position in the 2018 draft.

Buddo
08-13-2017, 04:19 AM
I'm on board with the Darby trade. Zone coverages in the secondary means he has more value elsewhere, than to us, and we've done a good job of getting that extra value.

I don't like the Watkins trade, as you are losing a potential superstar, and your #1 receiver, and you are going to have to replace him in the draft somehow. It looks to me like a classic Bills 'spinning wheels' move, and I'm sick of the sight of those.

While I can understand the reticence due to injury concerns, of picking up Watkins' option, simply shipping him out now, is not actually even giving him an opportunity to produce for us. If he did, the tag was always an option, and we aren't so hard against the cap that it couldn't have been used. Watkins could still have a stellar career, and for another 8 to 10 years. While getting extra picks to position the Bills well in the draft for 2018, is no bad thing, they still have to use those picks wisely, for these moves to actually pay off. Otherwise known as identifying a franchise QB, and actually getting him, neither of which is guaranteed by any means, especially when nobody knows who is actually going to be available for sure, at this point in time.

GreedoII
08-13-2017, 07:49 AM
I'm on board with the Darby trade. Zone coverages in the secondary means he has more value elsewhere, than to us, and we've done a good job of getting that extra value.

I don't like the Watkins trade, as you are losing a potential superstar, and your #1 receiver, and you are going to have to replace him in the draft somehow. It looks to me like a classic Bills 'spinning wheels' move, and I'm sick of the sight of those.

While I can understand the reticence due to injury concerns, of picking up Watkins' option, simply shipping him out now, is not actually even giving him an opportunity to produce for us. If he did, the tag was always an option, and we aren't so hard against the cap that it couldn't have been used. Watkins could still have a stellar career, and for another 8 to 10 years. While getting extra picks to position the Bills well in the draft for 2018, is no bad thing, they still have to use those picks wisely, for these moves to actually pay off. Otherwise known as identifying a franchise QB, and actually getting him, neither of which is guaranteed by any means, especially when nobody knows who is actually going to be available for sure, at this point in time.

they don't have a QB...so they won;t pay him 9 mil a year next year. Why pay him if he's going to be wasted like he has been since they drafted him? Plus he's a bad foot plant away from a hip injury. If they had a great QB he stays and gets paid already. It's a bad investment so get value for for him rather than he walk. This isn't hard to figure out...

Skooby
08-13-2017, 08:21 AM
Cornerback
Cornerback
Dimeback

- - - Updated - - -

And most important of all, all will be named Williams

Haha, this is the case.

Night Train
08-13-2017, 08:34 AM
I'm on board with the Darby trade. Zone coverages in the secondary means he has more value elsewhere, than to us, and we've done a good job of getting that extra value.I don't like the Watkins trade, as you are losing a potential superstar, and your #1 receiver, and you are going to have to replace him in the draft somehow. It looks to me like a classic Bills 'spinning wheels' move, and I'm sick of the sight of those.While I can understand the reticence due to injury concerns, of picking up Watkins' option, simply shipping him out now, is not actually even giving him an opportunity to produce for us. If he did, the tag was always an option, and we aren't so hard against the cap that it couldn't have been used. Watkins could still have a stellar career, and for another 8 to 10 years. While getting extra picks to position the Bills well in the draft for 2018, is no bad thing, they still have to use those picks wisely, for these moves to actually pay off. Otherwise known as identifying a franchise QB, and actually getting him, neither of which is guaranteed by any means, especially when nobody knows who is actually going to be available for sure, at this point in time.

Don't disagree with any of the above.

The decision with Watkins is purely salary cap driven. Throw in the foot concerns and the passing of his option year signaled his exit.

Getting value now instead of nothing later made sense. I don't think we are losing 2-3 more games as a result of the trade, nor did I view this team as a true playoff contender in year one of a whole new administration. Many current players don't fit the schemes and Darby was the first to be moved. The coaches probably think we are just as good after the trades. So be it, whether true or not. It's up to ready them for the regular season.

Buddo
08-13-2017, 11:32 AM
I can see how if you are going to 'get value' for Watkins, the trade now, is probably the best time to do it, it doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

If we are going to draft a QB in '18, then we probably had enough ammunition to get the 2nd best one, before trading Watkins, (assuming we were trading Darby anyway) so I don't see the real need - unless we are in 'tank' mode, in which case, don't be surprised if the likes of Kyle Williams, pull the plug and retire.

That QB will need a good WR to throw to, and we now don't have a #1.

I'm also getting the impression that Taylor is being set up to fail - and I'm not impressed by that approach.

SpikedLemonade
08-13-2017, 11:54 AM
3-13

jimmifli
08-13-2017, 11:59 AM
aqzf['*|++++ ['*-

SpikedLemonade
08-13-2017, 12:12 PM
aqzf['*|++++ ['*-
I agree!!!

YardRat
08-13-2017, 01:36 PM
aqzf['*|++++ ['*-

lpmg/;#a----/;#=

Arm of Harm
08-13-2017, 04:16 PM
I'm also getting the impression that Taylor is being set up to fail - and I'm not impressed by that approach.
The Bills had two choices:
1) Keep Watkins for the season. Most likely lose him to free agency at the end of the year. The team's decision not to pick up his option told me things were headed in this direction--if they chose option 1.
2) Trade Watkins for Gaines, as well as the Rams' 2nd round pick.

From a strategic perspective, you have to go with option 2. Especially if you're reasonably certain you're not going to re-sign Watkins once his contract ends.

Does taking Tyrod's best receiver away set him up to fail? One could argue it does. On the other hand, the team did acquire Matthews. While Matthews isn't Watkins, he isn't chopped liver either. Between Matthews, Zay Jones, and Clay, Tyrod should have a decent, respectable group of targets. They also added Boldin, just in case he has something left in the tank. Overall, I think this group of targets should be good enough for the Bills' coaching staff and front office to perform a reasonably fair and accurate evaluation of Tyrod's performance. As well as of Peterman's performance, in the event it comes to that.

swiper
08-13-2017, 05:56 PM
The story of these two trades will be told in whether it nets the Bills a franchise QB or not. Period.

Mace
08-13-2017, 06:40 PM
Notice that I call Terry Pegula the Dumb Polack

Still can't figure that one out, he's not Polish.

SpikedLemonade
08-13-2017, 06:51 PM
Still can't figure that one out, he's not Polish.

Does he have a Birth Certificate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlpaEXWe3Zs

swiper
08-13-2017, 07:45 PM
Interesting that Spiked hasn't trademarked the Pegula is a Polack thing yet.

SpikedLemonade
08-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Interesting that Spiked hasn't trademarked the Pegula is a Polack thing yet.

Someone beat me to it.