• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

The "Big Picture...."

Whenever I hear terms like "building for the future," "forward-thinking," "big picture" etc. being used to describe the Bills front office, I get a mental picture of the fan base as a mule with Russ Brandon sitting on it's back. With one hand, he's holding a stick in front of the mule with playoff tickets dangling off the end of it, and as the mule walks blindly walks towards the tickets, he uses the other hand to reach into the saddle bags and steal money.

This franchise is constantly building for a future that never actually arrives.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • JoeMama
    Emotion Sickness
    • Oct 2002

Re: The "Big Picture...."

Anyone can blow up a team.

Precious few can build one.

Here's hoping McDermott/Beane know what the hell they're doing.

The problem we've had since we kicked John Butler/AJ Smith to the curb all those years ago is that no one's been able to I.D. a franchise QB ever since. That will make or break the new guys too.
    Disclaimer: The sentiment expressed in this post is strictly for entertainment purposes only.

Comment

• kingJofNYC
      • Sep 2009

Rebuilding since 2000.

At least these guys have a new catchphrase, "Trust the Process." They should handout t-shirts during the home opener.

Comment

• Night Train
        Retired - On Several Levels
        • Jul 2005

Beane/McDermott are doing their thing and could care less about the bad past some here continue to live in.

They weren't here. They're trying to build something.
        Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• BillsImpossible
          • Mar 2013

Comment

• Mr. Pink
            Peterman Sucks!
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
            Rebuilding since 2000.

At least these guys have a new catchphrase, "Trust the Process." They should handout t-shirts during the home opener.
            That's the problem, this team hasn't done any rebuilding at all since 2004. Band-aid after band-aid. Shuffling poor to mediocre QBs. Shuffling big flashy RBs. Giving the keys to the city to a primadonna.

The result of the band-aid approach is where this team is at today. A team not good enough to make the playoffs but not bad enough to actually get the real piece(s) needed to become a playoff team.

Comment

• Mouldsie
              • Aug 2012

I bet we could dig up old threads with the same people telling us not to criticize telling us not to criticize our fearless leaders of the past.

17 seasons.

Put up or shut up.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet we could dig up old threads with the same people telling us not to criticize telling us not to criticize our fearless leaders of the past.

17 seasons.

Put up or shut up.

Comment

• Thurmal
                • Oct 2005

I tend to agree with Op, given our draft history, but something about this regime does feel a little different. What seems to be gone is the delusion that we're just "one piece away." Like Pink said, this team has been essentially paying for repair after repair on an old car, when it is probably more beneficial to junk the thing and start over with something new.

They've built themselves a ton of high draft picks, which is good. I know everyone wants to use them to trade up to get the high-end QB, but I would almost rather see them used on good players that have high floors. Peterman needs to be made the starter this year the minute the playoffs are out of reach. Gotta see what he can do before making (another) big investment on an unsure thing.
                "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• BillsImpossible
                  • Mar 2013

I think the Big Picture is how much things have really changed at OBD (and Buffalo).

This ain't the same old patch up job. The road is finally being resurfaced. The Bills and their home City are changing quickly.

That usually takes at least one year in New York, but the workers are ahead of schedule this season.

Can the road be repaired enough to be playoff ready by late October?

It depends on how hard the team is willing to work in order to get the job done on time.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                    Peterman Sucks!
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BillsImpossible View Post
                    I think the Big Picture is how much things have really changed at OBD (and Buffalo).

This ain't the same old patch up job. The road is finally being resurfaced. The Bills and their home City are changing quickly.

That usually takes at least one year in New York, but the workers are ahead of schedule this season.

Can the road be repaired enough to be playoff ready by late October?

It depends on how hard the team is willing to work in order to get the job done on time.
                    With a real rebuild this team is about 3 years away from being a legitimate playoff team.

Without one? Get ready for another decade of no playoffs.

Comment

• bleve
                      • Mar 2005

I think it's different. We can all recall the regime changes/coach changes/new-players-to-fit-the-scheme(cough*TorellTroup*cough)/cycle of mediocrity we've been through.

Ralph lucked out with Polian. In the years prior and since, Ralph hired guys who he felt "comfortable" with - qualified or not. As a result, the years without a competent GM yielded bad to mediocre teams - consistently.

The Pegula's had no "inner circle" of people to select to run the organization, they actually went out and selected people with solid NFL credentials. The current leadership may or may not work out, but at least they're qualified to hold the respective positions they have. The NFL strives so hard to have a parity league, it really takes a special kind of incompetence to have a 17-year playoff drought.
                      "You can't be a real country unless you have beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need beer."
                      ~ Frank Zappa

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Night Train View Post
                        Beane/McDermott are doing their thing and could care less about the bad past some here continue to live in.

They weren't here. They're trying to build something.
                        Uh huh. Just like Levy/Jauron and Nix/Marrone and Whaley/Rex. The bad past wasn't their fault and they're here to help!

The real problem is bigger than the coach and GM.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Mr. Pink View Post
                          With a real rebuild this team is about 3 years away from being a legitimate playoff team.

Without one? Get ready for another decade of no playoffs.
                          As was said before each of the last three rebuilds.....
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mace
                            Haha...yeah you think so ?
                            • Mar 2013

Like it or not, the only way to fairly judge a new regime is by letting them try it their way, lock, stock and barrel. Once Ryan was here, he had to be allowed to fail on his own terms. Once Levy was here, he had to be allowed to succeed on his own terms. Same with Whaley/Polian.

A good part of the band aid approach has been a GM & HC not on the same page, not even considering bad GM's & bad HC's. No unified plan beyond the one upcoming season. They didn't even scout underclassmen, so it was even draft to draft. Polian & Levy were on the same page. My point is not that Beane & McDermott are Polian & Levy, those pages of the book aren't written yet, my point is that we finally have a normal process going again with GM & HC on the same page. That's the normal process that actually does work in building toward the future.

Unless anyone thinks they can instantly conjure a SB team from this roster, and I find that unreasonable, the team is going to have to follow a process, may as well be a purposeful one.

Comment

• Night Train
                              Retired - On Several Levels
                              • Jul 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
                              Uh huh. Just like Levy/Jauron and Nix/Marrone and Whaley/Rex..

You keep making my point about living in the past.

Thank You.
                              Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

Working...
                              X