PDA

View Full Version : Was Sammy Watkins The Weakest Link?

BillsImpossible
08-12-2017, 05:55 PM
I didn't watch the first preseason game, but I did listen to it with Murph and Kelso on WGR.

3 straight catches for Watkins. Who orchestrated that I wonder???

A friend of mine said how he saw Sammy Watkins get up after a tackle and grabbed his hip in pain against the Vikings.

I don't know if that is true or not, but I do believe that Sammy Watkins had a knack for showing weakness on the field.

Nobody ever said that Sammy Watkins was a, "leader," on offense. Charisma is not his style. He had no presence.

Sammy was soft and wasn't a leader in a position that needs to be a leader on offense to compliment Tyrod Taylor as his go to receiver, as Michael Irvin would say.

Perhaps my thread about Sammy Watkins hair was the final straw?

With only 6 degrees of separation I wouldn't doubt it.

swiper
08-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Another stupid post.

Thurmal
08-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Watkins was a soldier for this team. Played hurt a lot, including last year when it was in his best interest to shut him down, but Whaley and Rex needed him to play to keep their jobs. As far as being a leader, I remember numerous times where he would give quotes and say something to the effect of (paraphrasing) "Everyone on this team needs to buy in and actuially work hard. We need more discipline from everyone."

The guy was an absolute stud his rookie year with Orton (so was Robert Woods, tbh). If he ever gets on a team with a star QB, look out. Would love to see, out of curiosity, him play this year with the Rams, then sign with a team like the Packers or Ravens.

I think the trade was ultimately the right thing, b/c he was going to walk anyway, but you can't knock him for having an understated personality. Actually kind of refreshing to see a top receiver who doesn't cause drama or go into theatrical TD dances. I'll remember him fondly.

Night Train
08-12-2017, 07:04 PM
With only 6 degrees of separation I wouldn't doubt it.

It wasn't his 2nd Jones procedure on his foot , his high number of missed games and the next big contract the Bills already decided he wasn't getting here after passing on his option..

It was his dreads..

OMFG..

feldspar
08-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Sammy is a good player with the potential to be great, which very well could wind up being the case.

Weakest link? Gimme a break. Where do people come up with this material?

I'm very disappointed to see him go like this. This isn't any "good riddance" type deal in any way, shape, or form to anyone. I gotta think it was mostly about the money Sammy would demand next season. Meantime, we're worse off without him...make no mistake...

Generalissimus Gibby
08-12-2017, 07:17 PM
Sammy is a good player with the potential to be great, which very well could wind up being the case.

Weakest link? Gimme a break. Where do people come up with this material?

I'm very disappointed to see him go like this. This isn't any "good riddance" type deal in any way, shape, or form to anyone. I gotta think it was mostly about the money Sammy would demand next season. Meantime, we're worse off without him...make no mistake...

Well it was impy who posted that butt nugget of idiocy. As for Sammy, ****, I think we are going to be royally pissed at ourselves if he can stay healthy in LA. I think he gets to the Probowl

Forward_Lateral
08-13-2017, 08:41 AM
He's gone. It's over. Who cares. Let's focus on current Buffalo Bills.

Good luck in LA Sammy.

Skooby
08-13-2017, 10:16 AM
He's gone. It's over. Who cares. Let's focus on current Buffalo Bills.

Good luck in LA Sammy.

and that's a wrap.

justasportsfan
08-14-2017, 03:26 PM
Worry not. After this season we will resign him to huge contract.

Respect the process.

:bigwave:

Skooby
08-14-2017, 03:34 PM

Respect the process.

Huge drugs in your cabinet.

Novacane
08-14-2017, 04:43 PM
Most Bills fans understand why this trade was made. You don't need to come up with new reasons to justify it.

jimmifli
08-14-2017, 05:44 PM
McCoy acts like he was shot by a sniper while suffering a career ending injury at least once a game. But then he jogs on the sideline for a bit and returns 3 plays later. If we're judging Sammy on how he acts post tackle we're talking about some pretty meaningless ****.

The Toe Show
08-14-2017, 06:09 PM
I can't believe we could've drafted this guy:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s---ui50Gjq--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/bfgboh4fl940riqkqbvb.gif

Maybe the most amazing catch I've ever seen.

Mace
08-14-2017, 06:57 PM

Absolutely.

He wasn't the weakest link though. That's Hauschka who needs a trainer to spot him when he works out with his heavy hands.

YardRat
08-14-2017, 07:00 PM
That is a pretty good catch.

OpIv37
08-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Typical BZ.

Before last Friday: "Sammy's gonna stay healthy and be great this year!"

After last Friday: "Sammy is the weakest link!"

Ugh.

feldspar
08-14-2017, 08:03 PM
Meh, I've seen some spectacular catches of some kind made by people I know, myself included.

One time, a friend of mine whipped a cheez-it across the room at another friend of mine. The guy stuck two fingers out and pinched the cheez-it, catching it like that. It was hilarious.

Arm of Harm
08-14-2017, 08:53 PM
Ideally, our opinion of Sammy Watkins should be exactly the same the day after the trade as it was the day before. He's still the same guy. When healthy, he's a special player. A difference-maker. As for his injuries: you can't fake a broken foot. The screw later came out of the bone, and that wasn't Sammy's fault either. That was what I said about Sammy before the trade, and that's what I'm saying now.

Let's say you draft a very good WR like Watkins, then implement a run-oriented offense with a QB who can't read the field. That's like buying yourself a $200,000 race car, then using that car only to run errands and to shuttle your kids to and from soccer practice.

The Bills weren't a good fit for Sammy, and we were probably going to lose him once he hit free agency. Better to get something for him now than nothing at the end of the season.

The Toe Show
08-14-2017, 09:25 PM
Ideally, our opinion of Sammy Watkins should be exactly the same the day after the trade as it was the day before. He's still the same guy. When healthy, he's a special player. A difference-maker. As for his injuries: you can't fake a broken foot. The screw later came out of the bone, and that wasn't Sammy's fault either. That was what I said about Sammy before the trade, and that's what I'm saying now.
Let's say you draft a very good WR like Watkins, then implement a run-oriented offense with a QB who can't read the field. That's like buying yourself a $200,000 race car, then using that car only to run errands and to shuttle your kids to and from soccer practice.
The Bills weren't a good fit for Sammy, and we were probably going to lose him once he hit free agency. Better to get something for him now than nothing at the end of the season.
This is exactly how to compartmentalize the trade and move on.
But the trade gave me a bad feeling, similar to cutting Fred Jackson, like bad karma.
It also stinks that scouts, some still employed, could miss this hard on an all-in 1st round pick, in an all-time WR draft.

And while we may not have signed in him, I'd still take one year of elite WR production over a 2nd-round pick.
It makes sense and it might work out.

stuckincincy
08-14-2017, 09:34 PM
I can't believe we could've drafted this guy:

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s---ui50Gjq--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/bfgboh4fl940riqkqbvb.gif

Maybe the most amazing catch I've ever seen.

Reminds me of Fred Biletnikoff in the stickum days...

https://www.si.com/2014/07/15/nfl-history-in-95-objects-stickum

Of course, in those days, bump 'n run was in effect. If today's receivers were forced to play under legal bump 'n rum, they would be crying for their mama.

Arm of Harm
08-14-2017, 09:53 PM
This is exactly how to compartmentalize the trade and move on.
But the trade gave me a bad feeling, similar to cutting Fred Jackson, like bad karma.
It also stinks that scouts, some still employed, could miss this hard on an all-in 1st round pick, in an all-time WR draft.

And while we may not have signed in him, I'd still take one year of elite WR production over a 2nd-round pick.
It makes sense and it might work out.

To address your last point: a one-and-done player is a short-term asset. A 2nd round pick has the potential to be a long-term asset. So which do you need more?

Let's say you were on the verge of going to the Super Bowl. Maybe winning it. And you just needed one more piece--a Sammy Watkins for example--to push you over the top. In that case, maybe you decide on the short-term asset. Especially if you feel that the upcoming season is your last real opportunity to win a Super Bowl, before rebuilding sets in.

But the Bills aren't going to be a Super Bowl team this season, either with or without Sammy Watkins. It's impossible for Watkins to be the final puzzle piece to get us to the promised land. (Unless he was foolish enough to agree to a contract extension with Buffalo.)

On the other hand, it's possible to imagine the Bills winning the Super Bowl four or five years from now. And it's also very plausible to imagine the second round pick making a solid contribution toward that winning effort. That's why I value the second round pick more than I value one year of Watkins.

justasportsfan
08-15-2017, 10:29 AM
Huge drugs in your cabinet.

I'm not the one with imaginary inside sources :bigwave:

The Toe Show
08-15-2017, 10:47 AM
To address your last point: a one-and-done player is a short-term asset. A 2nd round pick has the potential to be a long-term asset. So which do you need more?

Let's say you were on the verge of going to the Super Bowl. Maybe winning it. And you just needed one more piece--a Sammy Watkins for example--to push you over the top. In that case, maybe you decide on the short-term asset. Especially if you feel that the upcoming season is your last real opportunity to win a Super Bowl, before rebuilding sets in.

But the Bills aren't going to be a Super Bowl team this season, either with or without Sammy Watkins. It's impossible for Watkins to be the final puzzle piece to get us to the promised land. (Unless he was foolish enough to agree to a contract extension with Buffalo.)

On the other hand, it's possible to imagine the Bills winning the Super Bowl four or five years from now. And it's also very plausible to imagine the second round pick making a solid contribution toward that winning effort. That's why I value the second round pick more than I value one year of Watkins.

You're making a lot of sense.

I was bought into what the Bills had. I wanted to see Sammy motivated in a contract year playing with Tyrod in a make-or-break year. I wanted to see if Rex held back the team. I wanted to see a spark. I thought a surprise was possible.

I guess it came down to something like:
Would you rather have 1-year of Elite WR Production (but 50% chance of injury) or the chance (80%) to have a solid B-level starter (ie Chris Kelsay) for the long-term.

I can see why they would pick the latter. Bills have a great track record in the 2nd round (below). No game-changers though.

For me, a stupid fan that wants to be entertained, I'd rather have the chance at elite WR production, be in the mix, party 1 year, be entertained over observing sensible decision-making.

If I were Terry P. I would have vetoed it. We can find plenty of Chris Kelsays, Roscoes, Levitres. I would've held my Sammy investment, until full bust.

Bills 2nd Round Picks:

Zay Jones
Reggie Ragland
Ronald Darby
Cyrus Kouandjio
Robert Woods
Kiko Alonso
Cordy Glenn
Aaron Williams
Torell Troup
Jairus Byrd
Andy Levitre
James Hardy
Paul Poz
Roscoe
Chris Kelsay
Josh Reed
Ryan Denney

It was the sensible thing to do. Not much fun though. So we wait and see.

Skooby
08-15-2017, 10:51 AM
You're making a lot of sense.

I was bought into what the Bills had. I wanted to see Sammy motivated in a contract year playing with Tyrod in a make-or-break year. I wanted to see if Rex held back the team. I wanted to see a spark. I thought a surprise was possible.

I guess it came down to something like:
Would you rather have 1-year of Elite WR Production (but 50% chance of injury) or the chance (80%) to have a solid B-level starter (ie Chris Kelsay) for the long-term.

I can see why they would pick the latter. Bills have a great track record in the 2nd round (below). No game-changers though.

For me, a stupid fan that wants to be entertained, I'd rather have the chance at elite WR production, be in the mix, party 1 year, be entertained over observing sensible decision-making.

If I were Terry P. I would have vetoed it. We can find plenty of Chris Kelsays, Roscoes, Levitres. I would've held my Sammy investment, until full bust.

Bills 2nd Round Picks:

Zay Jones
Reggie Ragland
Ronald Darby
Cyrus Kouandjio
Robert Woods
Kiko Alonso
Cordy Glenn
Aaron Williams
Torell Troup
Jairus Byrd
Andy Levitre
James Hardy
Paul Poz
Roscoe
Chris Kelsay
Josh Reed
Ryan Denney

It was the sensible thing to do. Not much fun though. So we wait and see.

Kiko got us Shady, who arguably is our most talented offensive player. Just sayin'. I also feel the draft is going to offer a lot of options this next year, quite a year to have higher picks (IMO).

The Toe Show
08-15-2017, 12:17 PM
Yeah, 2nd round pick was the right value. I'll take another Kiko or Zay Jones long term.

I have this feeling Sammy is going to elevate in LA. And it might not have even been possible in Buffalo.

#2 uni, looks right - his mind is right. Plus they have Tavon, Gurley, Woods, and this Cooper Kupp guy is pretty good too. Prepare for pain, Bills Fans.

https://scontent-lax3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/20776604_880271435472897_5402797496230658283_o.jpg?oh=a0b876b38b89eaad364d3c20931d745c&oe=5A1C79C2

swiper
08-15-2017, 12:19 PM
Kiko got us Shady, who arguably is our most talented offensive player. Just sayin'. I also feel the draft is going to offer a lot of options this next year, quite a year to have higher picks (IMO).

Arguably? You are just a ******. Were you born with the trait or did you acquire it along the way?

Skooby
08-15-2017, 12:35 PM
Arguably? You are just a ******. Were you born with the trait or did you acquire it along the way?
As the season wears on, I feel Nathan will be our best offensive asset who flips the ball to Shady at the last second after the defense commits. Shady is going to be a fantasy dream, total yards is going to be sick.

You are always the last to understand and know what's happening, how many posts have you been called out on for generally being stupid ?? I tell you guys crap days and weeks before stuff happens and it gets sent to spam, go check the dates and be like damn he's right.

Bill Cody
08-15-2017, 01:18 PM
Ok I'm sold. Are we still on the clock? If so let's not trade up for Sammy

Skooby
08-15-2017, 05:04 PM
Ok I'm sold. Are we still on the clock? If so let's not trade up for Sammy
How about 2 - 1st round picks ?? Who was throwing him the ball ?? It's now in the dictionary as a huge reach, he's not even been healthy enough to play one season. What a joke we've been, time to man up.

Bill Cody
08-16-2017, 09:13 AM
How about 2 - 1st round picks ?? Who was throwing him the ball ?? It's now in the dictionary as a huge reach, he's not even been healthy enough to play one season. What a joke we've been, time to man up.

Trade ups in the top 10 should never even be attempted by a mediocre team UNLESS it's for a QB. And you're right, that was a 2nd major reason the trade up was dopey, it assumed EJ was not a bust which he was. And Watkins couldn't stay healthy, strike 3.

Saratoga Slim
08-16-2017, 01:51 PM

Respect the process.

That would be a master class of GM-manship.