PDA

View Full Version : Alternative if no QB worthy... Stafford or Bridgewater in 2018

BuffaloBlitz83
08-13-2017, 06:58 PM
Would you prefer drafting the 2nd or 3rd best qb in draft or going this other route. Stafford had a solid year and Teddy if healthy would be another option. Teddy took Vikes to playoffs for the first time in awhile in 2015. Not sure how much of an upgrade he is to Tyrod if any. Stafford is definitely a legit franchise QB.

SpikedLemonade
08-13-2017, 07:02 PM
I prefer to take the 1st QB off the board and if there are two blue chip QBs coming out then I am also OK with getting the 2nd QB off the board.

Stafford and Bridgewater will NEVER win a Super Bowl.

BuffaloBlitz83
08-13-2017, 07:03 PM
I prefer to take the 1st QB off the board and if there are two blue chip QBs coming out then I am also OK with getting the 2nd QB off the board.

Just don't see how we jump the Jets.

psubills62
08-13-2017, 07:04 PM
I would be shocked if Stafford went anywhere but Detroit.

Night Train
08-13-2017, 07:06 PM
They will not wish to give older guys a boatload of $ when they can draft a top guy and pay him his rookie contract.

And there are more than 2 blue chip QB's. I just saw a mock draft that had 6 going in the top 20.

SpikedLemonade
08-13-2017, 07:08 PM
Just don't see how we jump the Jets.

Simple ==> We lose both games to them this year.

YardRat
08-13-2017, 07:12 PM
I'll take my chances with Tyrod or Peterman plus whatever we get in the draft and another FA.

Mr. Pink
08-13-2017, 07:12 PM
There legitimately could be 4 QBs who go in the top 10 and a 5th who could be just outside of it.

Allen, Darnold, Lamar Jackson, Josh Rosen and Jarrett Stidham. Just in alpha order, not draft order.

This doesn't even include Luke Falk, Chase Litton or Nick Fitzgerald who could shoot up draft boards with big years and good combines.

YardRat
08-13-2017, 07:15 PM
They will not wish to give older guys a boatload of $ when they can draft a top guy and pay him his rookie contract.
And there are more than 2 blue chip QB's. I just saw a mock draft that had 6 going in the top 20.

There legitimately could be 4 QBs who go in the top 10 and a 5th who could be just outside of it.
Allen, Darnold, Lamar Jackson, Josh Rosen and Jarrett Stidham. Just in alpha order, not draft order.
This doesn't even include Luke Falk, Chase Litton or Nick Fitzgerald who could shoot up draft boards with big years and good combines.

I'd be willing to bet by the time the draft actually comes around there won't be three.

WagonCircler
08-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Bridgewater will never play again.

Mr. Pink
08-13-2017, 07:22 PM
I'd be willing to bet by the time the draft actually comes around there won't be three.

I dunno about that to be honest, there's gonna be enough bad teams near the top that will need a QB.

Jets, Browns, Bills, 49ers, Jags will all be pretty bad and all still need a QB.

Then you have some other teams who could do poorly this year and their QBs are long in the tooth. The Giants and Chargers are two that jump out. And then there's always the aforementioned Matthew Stafford. If the Lions go out and play like absolute trash, maybe they also enter the QB market via the draft instead of extending him.

psubills62
08-13-2017, 09:06 PM
Agreed. Said before this would be a good year to tank with next draft looking to be strong with QB's. I'm not sold on Lamar Jackson going that high, but the others you mentioned are certainly legit prospects.

Scumbag College
08-14-2017, 12:09 AM
At this time last year, Trubinsky and Mahomes weren't on anyone's radar to go in the Top 10 of the 2017 Draft. I'm not sold on either the Bills (obviously) or Chiefs being playoff teams so we might have two picks in the Top 20, giving Beane the firepower to move up and get their guy or wait for a QB to fall to them. Also, there are so many good Junior QBs out there that they might want to come out and get their payday early, making the Bills in prime position to get their guy next year.

jamze132
08-14-2017, 01:15 AM
Way too early to tell who's going to show up this college season. Also way too early to tell if Tyrod will figure it out or if Peterman is the real deal.

Ingtar33
08-14-2017, 03:45 AM
Bridgewater will never play again.

pretty much, looking more and more like that was a career ender. and stafford isn't going anywhere.

YardRat
08-14-2017, 05:44 AM
I dunno about that to be honest, there's gonna be enough bad teams near the top that will need a QB.

Jets, Browns, Bills, 49ers, Jags will all be pretty bad and all still need a QB.

Then you have some other teams who could do poorly this year and their QBs are long in the tooth. The Giants and Chargers are two that jump out. And then there's always the aforementioned Matthew Stafford. If the Lions go out and play like absolute trash, maybe they also enter the QB market via the draft instead of extending him.
While that may be true, it doesn't address the 'supply' side of the equation. If a couple of guys really distinguish themselves this college season, that isn't going to encourage a younger guy to declare anywhere near as much as to stay in another year. Somebody like Darnold will wait a season for a shot at #1 overall instead of going in and being maybe the #3 or #4 guy at the position.

Cali512
08-14-2017, 06:28 AM
I dont know why yall are saying Bridgewater is a career injury. They mentioned when it happened that it was a 2 year injury, so the fact that there even talking about him playing this year is amazing. I think hell be fine. That said he isn't that good....

I'd trade our firsts for Stafford or cousins

Also moving up for a QB than signing Alex smith next year can be a option

- - - Updated - - -

I dont know why yall are saying Bridgewater is a career injury. They mentioned when it happened that it was a 2 year injury, so the fact that there even talking about him playing this year is amazing. I think hell be fine. That said he isn't that good....

I'd trade our firsts for Stafford or cousins

Also moving up for a QB than signing Alex smith next year can be a option

WagonCircler
08-14-2017, 07:55 AM
I dont know why yall are saying Bridgewater is a career injury

Well, other than "we'all" there are doctors.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2671564-teddy-bridgewater-injury-update-doctors-reportedly-concerned-about-qbs-future

k-oneputt
08-14-2017, 08:07 AM

You forgot Rudolph at Qk. St.

justasportsfan
08-14-2017, 10:45 AM

As long as it would be like choosing between Rodgers, Brady,Ben, Rivers, Peyton from that group, I don't care which one we land as long as we land one of them.

kgun12
08-14-2017, 12:15 PM

That's what San Diego said in 1998!

SpikedLemonade
08-14-2017, 12:34 PM
That's what San Diego said in 1998!

Anamoly.

Cali512
08-14-2017, 01:55 PM
Anamoly.

Well, other than "we'all" there are doctors.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2671564-teddy-bridgewater-injury-update-doctors-reportedly-concerned-about-qbs-future

....that was 2 months after it happened.

Mr. Pink
08-14-2017, 02:42 PM
While that may be true, it doesn't address the 'supply' side of the equation. If a couple of guys really distinguish themselves this college season, that isn't going to encourage a younger guy to declare anywhere near as much as to stay in another year. Somebody like Darnold will wait a season for a shot at #1 overall instead of going in and being maybe the #3 or #4 guy at the position.

There's always a caveat there too though.

Say one of the guys mentioned in this thread vaults over Darnold and Darnold is the consensus number 2 QB in this draft instead. He's still gonna go top 5, without question. OR He can go back to school for another year in hopes that he ends up being the number 1 QB at the risk of his own regression/bad season or God forbid serious injury.

I'm sure if Chad Kelly had it all to do over again, he would have declared after the 2015 season. Just an example.

YardRat
08-14-2017, 07:35 PM
There's always a caveat there too though.

Say one of the guys mentioned in this thread vaults over Darnold and Darnold is the consensus number 2 QB in this draft instead. He's still gonna go top 5, without question. OR He can go back to school for another year in hopes that he ends up being the number 1 QB at the risk of his own regression/bad season or God forbid serious injury.

I'm sure if Chad Kelly had it all to do over again, he would have declared after the 2015 season. Just an example.
Kelly isn't a good example, he didn't end up 2015 being in the conversation, and he especially didn't start off 2015 as anything except a huge question mark. Opposite end of the spectrum of somebody like Darnold. Sure, there are other factors...sure, there are risks...but I don't believe for one second that a highly-rated QB that has his stock drop (or get surpassed) over the course of a season isn't going to take the opportunity to re-build that stock into a higher draft position if the option is available.