PDA

View Full Version : Peterman moves up to #2 QB on the depth chart today

swiper
08-13-2017, 07:39 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/articles/news/bills-camp-peterman-moves-no-2-qb-wr-matthews-injures-chest-his-first-practice

Night Train
08-13-2017, 07:42 PM
20 people here could do better than Yates.

I like Peterman and glad he'll get more snaps in pre-season. Bills need to ID another QB vet after final cuts and get rid of Yates.

SpikedLemonade
08-13-2017, 07:50 PM
Excellent!!!

I know it is such a longshot but I would love to see Peterman being the starting QB on Opening Day.

YardRat
08-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Nice to see him making some progress.

Skooby
08-13-2017, 08:04 PM
Excellent!!!

I know it is such a longshot but I would love to see Peterman being the starting QB on Opening Day.
Heading the right way.

feldspar
08-13-2017, 08:13 PM
I think Peterman picked the right number for his jersey...

Generalissimus Gibby
08-13-2017, 08:46 PM
I think Peterman picked the right number for his jersey...

Because he is clutch like Steve Christie, or because he's poo?

feldspar
08-13-2017, 08:49 PM
Because he is clutch like Steve Christie, or because he's poo?

#2 quarterback.

SpikedLemonade
08-13-2017, 08:55 PM
Look I am not going to suck the coq of any rookie QB who comes suddenly along however I just want to NOT once again go into the next season uncertain of whether or NOT we already have a NFL Starting QB on the roster.

I know TT is NOT the answer.

That other dude is a piece of crap.

Let's start Peterman and if he fails, we are 3-13 and draft our Franchise QB in 2018 very highly.

If Peterman succeeds, we don't need to draft a QB highly in 2018 and with all those draft picks, we rule the draft (Patriots style) and build a great team long-term.

WIN - WIN

Skooby
08-13-2017, 09:29 PM
Look I am not going to suck the coq of any rookie QB who comes suddenly along however I just want to NOT once again go into the next season uncertain of whether or NOT we already have a NFL Starting QB on the roster.

Let's start Peterman and if he fails, we are 3-13 and draft our Franchise QB in 2018 very highly.

If Peterman succeeds, we don't need to draft a QB highly in 2018 and with all those draft picks, we rule the draft (Patriots style) and build a great team long-term.

WIN - WIN
If Peterman starts, we will win. The dude is the real deal and needs time with the firsts, so let's hope he gets his time in.

Goobylal
08-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Peterman is not going to start until the Bills are out of the playoffs. They have too much invested in Tyrod in terms of salary and practice time.

stuckincincy
08-13-2017, 09:55 PM
If Peterman starts, we will win. The dude is the real deal and needs time with the firsts, so let's hope he gets his time in.

I'm not ready to buy the optimism.

He was doing mop-up duty in the 1st PS game against wanna-be's.

I didn't like his scooting - 4 runs. Why? You are there to be evaluated, to scramble behind the LOS, to pass, or get tackled.

He reverted to his collegiate MO, trying to make plays with his legs.

I like the kid, but the coaches have to tell him to stay put, if not, you don't learn about ducking pressure, spotting seams, line play, receivers coming back to help, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I like him.

Goobylal
08-13-2017, 10:00 PM
I'm not ready to buy the optimism.
He was doing mop-up duty in the 1st PS game against wanna-be's.

I didn't like his scooting - 4 runs. Why? You are there to be evaluated, to scramble behind the LOS, to pass, or get tackled.

He reverted to his collegiate MO, trying to make plays with his legs.

I like the kid, but the coaches have to tell him to stay put, if not, you don't learn about ducking pressure, spotting seams, line play, receivers coming back to help, etc.

Don't get me wrong - I like him.

The runs were fine unless you think that he left the pocket too early. With the blitzes the Vikings were throwing at him, I wouldn't say he did.

kishoph
08-13-2017, 10:22 PM

WIN - WIN

I think starting him too early could hamper him more than letting him sit until they are ready to invest in him 100%. A rookie starting with the previous starter waiting to get back in could leave him afraid to make a mistake and have him play tentative. If the decision is final on Taylor not being the answer, then let Peterman take over.

JP Losman had his shortcomings, but I think the way they handled him (2005) with the threat of Kelly Holcomb coming in at any time messed him up. The next year when Jauron took over for Malarkey, Losman played a full season and didn't do that bad. I think a QB (especially a young one) needs to know the job is his, even if he makes a few mistakes and he isn't going to be yanked at the drop of a hat.

stuckincincy
08-13-2017, 10:24 PM
The runs were fine unless you think that he left the pocket too early. With the blitzes the Vikings were throwing at him, I wouldn't say he did.

Fair enough.

But what we are seeing these days, is the effect of the CBA. The training camp is so weak, the reps are so few,time to instruct is so limited.

We now have opposing players tossed against each other to try to gain the pro game skills.

IMO, in a way, today's pre-season games are what used to be called training camp.

It's sad that only Mike Brown and Ralph Wilson voted against that CBA. Both knew da*n well that the NFLPA wanted to change from a union receptive of new membership, to a guild bent on restricting same, to insure the "haves" cashed in big time.

Goobylal
08-13-2017, 10:44 PM
Fair enough.

But what we are seeing these days, is the effect of the CBA. The training camp is so weak, the reps are so few,time to instruct is so limited.

We now have opposing players tossed against each other to try to gain the pro game skills.

IMO, in a way, today's pre-season games are what used to be called training camp.

It's sad that only Mike Brown and Ralph Wilson voted against that CBA. Both knew da*n well that the NFLPA wanted to change from a union receptive of new membership, to a guild bent on restricting same, to insure the "haves" cashed in big time.

I agree with what you're saying about the lack of practice time. But as for that 2006 CBA, it paid the players more than the owners had to, and in return for later CBAs taking money away, players were allowed to have fewer practices.

stuckincincy
08-13-2017, 11:19 PM
I agree with what you're saying about the lack of practice time. But as for that 2006 CBA, it paid the players more than the owners had to, and in return for later CBAs taking money away, players were allowed to have fewer practices.

Well, it is the 2011 one that's making all the fuss...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Collective_Bargaining_Agreement

Well, whatever. I know you and I won't ever lock horns about the dealings of multi-millionaires.

Scumbag College
08-13-2017, 11:42 PM
Peterman threw a bunch of balls behind receivers but with more practice and reps that can be remedied. He has the "It Factor" way more than Yates. Let Peterman play three quarters against Philly to get a larger Sample Size and some real time game speed reps so if Tyrod does go down for any extended period we aren't completely throwing him to the wolves. Also, Yates' performance was beyond miserable and we couldn't see what we had at WR beyond Boldin, Zay, and others. Streater, Brown, and others got shafted while Shorts and Lewis looked solid.

If another QB desperate team offers a sixth for Yates I say Beane lets him go and OBD keeps stockpiling draft picks.

jamze132
08-14-2017, 01:28 AM
Whether Peterman is the answer or not, he needs to sit at least the first half of the season. We'll be eliminated by then and we'll also know if we're done with Tyrod moving forward.

Ingtar33
08-14-2017, 03:43 AM
Peterman threw a bunch of balls behind receivers but with more practice and reps that can be remedied.

Throwing behind a WR is pretty common if you take your eyes off the wr to watch the football or rush (it also can happen with bad footwork, though bad footwork tend to make a QB scattershot, not consistently behind like i've been hearing about all summer). It's a bad habit some QB's develop, seen much more often in freshmen college QBs. It can be beaten out of them, but it's a little alarming he's in the NFL and still has this habit.

Forward_Lateral
08-14-2017, 05:03 AM
Tyrod vs Peterman aside, if I EVER have to watch TJ Yates start a regular season game for the Bills, I might break my TV so I can't see.

Cali512
08-14-2017, 06:30 AM
Can you imagine if he has to play and has a dak like season, then we go into next year with all these picks

Novacane
08-14-2017, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't rush him. Tyrod will get hurt sooner or later. Then he will get his shot.

Skooby
08-14-2017, 07:19 AM
Can you imagine if he has to play and has a dak like season, then we go into next year with all these picks
That'd be great !!

Goobylal
08-14-2017, 08:20 AM
Well, it is the 2011 one that's making all the fuss...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Collective_Bargaining_Agreement

Well, whatever. I know you and I won't ever lock horns about the dealings of multi-millionaires.

I'm not trying to lock horns. Just stating that the giveback by the players in money was reduced practice time. Starting with the 2011 CBA. If they had just stood their ground with the 2006 CBA and listened to Ralph and Mike Brown, it probably wouldn't have happened.

Goobylal
08-14-2017, 08:28 AM
Throwing behind a WR is pretty common if you take your eyes off the wr to watch the football or rush (it also can happen with bad footwork, though bad footwork tend to make a QB scattershot, not consistently behind like i've been hearing about all summer). It's a bad habit some QB's develop, seen much more often in freshmen college QBs. It can be beaten out of them, but it's a little alarming he's in the NFL and still has this habit.

There are other reasons for throwing behind receivers. Like the receivers running a poor/the wrong route, lack of familiarity with a player, and needing to get the ball off before getting crushed. I wish we could hear an honest assessment of Peterman'a performance from Dennison.

kishoph
08-14-2017, 09:00 AM
There are other reasons for throwing behind receivers. Like the receivers running a poor/the wrong route, lack of familiarity with a player, and needing to get the ball off before getting crushed. I wish we could hear an honest assessment of Peterman'a performance from Dennison.

I think not having the timing down with the receivers could be a big reason. I'd guess there's at least 10 WR's in camp, 3-4 practice with the 1st team, that leaves a half a dozen receivers that are flip flopping up and down the depth chart practicing with the 2nd and 3rd teams. It has to be hard to gain any familiarity when your seeing different receivers constantly. Different speeds, different cuts, etc, etc.

jimmifli
08-14-2017, 01:58 PM

But then we should see mistakes in all directions. Leading, too deep, too shallow... but we didn't he was behind or accurate.

Mace
08-14-2017, 07:11 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing what Peterman can do with the two's in a preseason game. He's said to be a hard working learner, so if he's got the capability, we'll see it.

More snaps in preseason games means more evidence one way or another. Good start, imho. Working with the three's on the field also means having to use the three's, so he'll get a chance to use better players and face tougher opposition.

I'm hoping to see him rise to the challenge.

YardRat
08-14-2017, 07:14 PM

I'd still draft a QB.

SpikedLemonade
08-14-2017, 07:21 PM
I'd still draft a QB.

Of course YardFat but that is THE point -- if we start Peterman for many games this year, we will be able to evaluate whether he could be a starting QB in the NFL or is merely a back up so that we need to go get our Franchise Starting QB early in the 1st round.

That information is key to proper decisionmaking.

Skooby
08-14-2017, 09:52 PM
Of course YardFat but that is THE point -- if we start Peterman for many games this year, we will be able to evaluate whether he could be a starting QB in the NFL or is merely a back up so that we need to go get our Franchise Starting QB early in the 1st round.

That information is key to proper decisionmaking.

Tyrod has had 7 years in the league, I'm not sure when the light is supposed to go on. If it hasn't by now, it isn't going too. We need to see if by some odd stroke of luck, Nathan can do it. Right now, we are dead in the water.

Ingtar33
08-16-2017, 09:25 AM

while this can cause that problem, the reports since day 1 have been peterman throwing behind wrs constantly. Furthermore these causes you listed can cause the QB to throw the ball into the dirt, over their head or too far in front of them as well. I haven't heard reports of him struggling to connect with his WRs and being all over the place. All I've heard is he's consistently behind the target. The most likely cause of this type of behavior is he's taking his eyes off the WR, probably watching the football leave his hand or watching the rush. I haven't see him play yet in a bills uniform so I don't know if this is the case. My post was pure speculation based upon years of coaching and playing football. Still I'm just a dumbass middle aged football coach/ex-jock with bad knees, speculating about the play of a player i've not watched play a down of nfl football, what the heck do I know?

Bill Cody
08-16-2017, 09:47 AM
If Peterman solidifies the # 2 spot the Bills will go with 2 QB's. Being #2 is important for Peterman. Not because he's going to play but it gets him reps in practice. And that's how he's going to develop and if Tierod gets injured or the team falters he could get his chance. My take is Peterman is a long way from being NFL ready. The most popular guy on a lot of teams is the backup QB, until he actually gets to play that is.

SpikedLemonade
08-16-2017, 10:23 AM
If Peterman solidifies the # 2 spot the Bills will go with 2 QB's. Being #2 is important for Peterman. Not because he's going to play but it gets him reps in practice. And that's how he's going to develop and if Tierod gets injured or the team falters he could get his chance. My take is Peterman is a long way from being NFL ready. The most popular guy on a lot of teams is the backup QB, until he actually gets to play that is.

I am good with this for the start of the season.

Sorry Bills Brethren but I can NO longer achieve and sustain an erection over a 6 or 7 win season.

I need to win it all to get rock hard.

3-13 this season.

8-8 next season.

12-4 in 2019.