X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenryRules
    • Jul 2002

Drew Henson's future

My baseball knowledge isn't great, but I'm thinking that because the Yankees traded for Aaron Boone, that probably means that they've written off Drew Henson as a future player (I believe they're both 3rd baseman).

That late-round pick may turn out to be a great deal for the Texans. Thoughts anyone?
  • lordofgun
    in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
    • Jul 2002

If I were him, I'd definitely sit out til next year's draft. He could be a 1st round pick if he commits to football. He'd make a lot more money that way, IMO.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• HenryRules
      • Jul 2002

I don't know the CBA that well, but what about signing a one-year contract with the Texans and then collecting as an RFA next season ... he'll still have been able to earn most of his baseball salary this season and he'll have had a year under his belt at the NFL level to negotiate with. And being a rookie, no one will have expected him to play at all, so as long as he doesn't get hurt (which he'll have the same risk playing baseball as being a taxi QB), I don't think he'll hurt his earning potential.

The Texans would probably go for that too cuz at least as an RFA they'll get some compensation if they lose him, whereas if he doesn't sign at all, they get nothing.

Comment

• Stewie
        Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
        • Aug 2002

There's no way Henson will give up baseball unless the Yankees buy out his contract. He's going to make too much money.

If Henson gets hurt playing baseball he'll still get paid. If he gets hurt playing football and cut, he won't.
        Originally posted by Topdog
        Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
        Originally posted by mercyrule
        I love Weiner.
        Originally posted by mercyrule
        also cheese

Comment

• Vetteman84
          Im not a chick!
          • Apr 2003

Picking up a 30 year old Boone all but solidifies the end of Hensens Yankee career. That and the fact he's been hitting .216 in the minors. He will never be a first round pick in the draft (nfl) because of his age now. I think Drew H has some big decisions to make.....Go Yankees.

"Let's Roll"
          Todd Beamer
          Flight 93
          9/11/01

Comment

• eyedog
            • Jul 2002

If he's smart the only decision he can make is to put down the bat and pick up the football. It looks to me like he will be a career minor leaguer. If he's only thinking money then he can stay in triple-a and collect, but the pay in the NFL isn't to bad either.

Comment

• HenryRules
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by paulB
              If Henson gets hurt playing baseball he'll still get paid. If he gets hurt playing football and cut, he won't.
              I was mostly trying to imply that the chances of him getting hurt are very slim as a taxi qb and shouldn't enter into his consideration of losing potential earnings.

Financially I think the sooner he goes to the NFL, the better off he'll be. I could be wrong, but I believe that he's getting close to the end of his baseball contract (one or two years left) and it doesn't look like he's going to get any significant interest from anywhere when his contract runs out. His baseball career could be over in a year or two.

On the other hand, he still has a shot at being a good NFL QB and if he can get back to playing football, he should be able to be employed for at least the next 3 years or so. QB's with potential can always find a job for approx. half a mil a season and stick around for a long time as long as they don't have an attitude (which does not seem to be the case with Henson). So while he may lose out initially by coming over to football ... I think his long-term potential in the NFL is much better.

I also think that for an athlete that has the potential to play at the highest level in a sport (football in Drew's case), struggling in the minors cannot be all that rewarding.

Comment

• Dozerdog
                In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

Yankees might trade Henson - I think that he will wait until the 2004 fotball season to make his mind up.

Comment

• BADTHINGSMAN
                  • Oct 2002

Aaron Boone can play all positions in the infield. Getting Boone doesnt mean Henson is done. He is struggling badly in the minors but Henson wants to play Baseball. He is doing what he wants to be doing.

Henson is a very highly thought of prospect. Many teams would trade for Henson. Yankees havent given up on Henson there giving him more time..

Comment

• don137
                    • Jul 2002

If Henson is ever going to where the pinstripes I think he may have to switch to the outfield now that the Yankees picked up Boone. I don't know why he is sticking with baseball. He is batting only .228 and strikes out once every four AB's.

Comment

• Alluro
                      You Don't Stand a Chance !
                      • Jul 2002

Henson, McGahee, Moulds, Reed, and Winslow will be the bills team in 2 years.

Comment

• mikemac2001
                        is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                        • Mar 2003

Its weird i didnt know the yankees were the only team in baseball. henson made up his mind a long time ago. he has his money and he will likely keep playing baseball (you can never count it out) if he isnt playing for yankee's he will likely playing for another team. he shouldnt be worrying about money so he can continue to play baseball even if he isnt making the millions

MUCK
                        FIAMI

Comment

• HenryRules
                          • Jul 2002

The Yankees aren't the only team in baseball, but they are the only team in baseball that can afford to pay a minor leaguer putting up those numbers the salary that Henson is currently receiving.

And if there's a guy in their organization ahead of him, things don't look too bright for his baseball career.

Comment

• HenryRules
                            • Jul 2002

Many other players have decided to dedicate themselves to one sport only to later make a switch - Mark Hendrickson of the Blue Jays played in the NBA, and Danny Ainge was a Blue Jay before going to the Celtics to name two somewhat local athletes.

Comment

• Winfield_26
                              Administrator
                              • Jul 2002

Then there are examples of two sport athletes like Deion Sanders, BO Jackson, and Brian Jordan to name a few.
                              COMING SOON...
                              Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                              We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X