PDA

View Full Version : Why will they not Tank

DesertFox24
08-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Seriously why not tank and get a top 3 pick in the draft. Then we could use the other 5 picks to hopefully get 2 starters.

This stupid notion that we can be a competitive team when a new coaching staff and new defense is laughable, plus the division we are in it is impossible to win (unless Brady gets hurt/retires).

Now we will finish 6-10 or 7-9 pick between 8 and 14th in the draft and have to use all these picks to get the QB.

I would personally let Tyrod play 6-8 games if we are not in the division race at that time, cut him and let Peterman play.

Skooby
08-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Exactly. If Peterman pulls a Dak, then our picks can go towards missing pieces. Odds are very high we will suck, so let's just go there early.

Joe Fo Sho
08-15-2017, 10:43 AM
How do the logistics of a tank work? Who's in on the tank? The players?

The Toe Show
08-15-2017, 10:55 AM
You just dump assets. You don't convince Kyle Williams to come back. You don't sign Hyde and Poyer. I didn't realize we were in trouble until the Sammy Trade. Now we're firmly positioned for a 6-10 type season.

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2017, 11:02 AM
3-13.

Dump Dareus just for a draft pick or two.

Trade Shady for a 1st round or high 2nd round pick.

Is Incognito worth anything?

Thurmal
08-15-2017, 11:11 AM
The NFL isn't like the NBA, where any draft pick outside of the top 15 is historically worthless, plus picking a QB is a crapshoot anyway.

If they "tank" and unload all assets, what happens when the new QB gets here? He has no help at all and gets his head kicked in and career ruined a la David Carr and Tim Couch?

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2017, 11:15 AM
The NFL isn't like the NBA, where any draft pick outside of the top 15 is historically worthless, plus picking a QB is a crapshoot anyway.

If they "tank" and unload all assets, what happens when the new QB gets here? He has no help at all and gets his head kicked in and career ruined a la David Carr and Tim Couch?

We are not suggesting unloading all assets.

Just those assets that will not be key assets when we are contenders in 2019 or beyond.

Shady will not be an asset then.

Nor will Dareus.

Incognito will be leading rallies in Charlottesville, Virginia by then.

Does another 6 or 7 win season really stroke your ego?

Not me....Give me a 2017 3-13 season and I will be happy.

Skooby
08-15-2017, 11:19 AM

You trade back up to 3rd spot, take the guy you wanted anyways and get that team's 1st next year - 1st / 2nd / 3rd this year, loading the team up with young talent. Bruce Smith got here with a first pick and Jimbo showed up after, so you can get some major talent early on. You can also argue that the early pick might bomb (our Mike Willams) but typically you'd get a very talented guy. Someone is going to really crank and rocket to the top of the draft, hopefully we are ready.

Skooby
08-15-2017, 11:21 AM

Just those assets that will not be key assets when we are contenders in 2019 or beyond.

Nor will Dareus.

Dareus has been a good guy this offseason so far, so discounting his future worth is foolish right now.

Bill Cody
08-15-2017, 11:38 AM
3-13.

Trade Shady for a 1st round or high 2nd round pick.
Sounds good. Which GM is on crack?

Is Incognito worth anything?
if you find the GM on crack anything's possible

Bill Cody
08-15-2017, 11:41 AM
Dareus has been a good guy this offseason so far, so discounting his future worth is foolish right now.

If someone wants to take on that contract and give us a 2nd I'll drive him to the airport and we can smoke a blunt on the way

Bill Cody
08-15-2017, 11:47 AM

wow talk about a short list

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Dareus will NEVER play to that level of contract and in 2019 we will be just another overweight DT.

Joe Fo Sho
08-15-2017, 11:54 AM
You just dump assets. You don't convince Kyle Williams to come back. You don't sign Hyde and Poyer. I didn't realize we were in trouble until the Sammy Trade. Now we're firmly positioned for a 6-10 type season.

So then we can't tank this year.

And we were a 6-10 team before the trades.

cookie G
08-15-2017, 01:27 PM

Nor will Dareus.

lol at the thought of being contenders in 2019, especially with the tear down you're envisioning.

2022 or beyond...and that's if everything goes right.

Considering we've hired a GM with minimal talent evaluation experience...and 0 experience in team building, there's going to be lots more misses than there are hits.

Being anywhere close to playoff caliber within 3 years, I'd put at less than 10%.

sukie
08-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Tanking is for losers. Pathetic. We'll have a really high pick regardless. Picks Picks Picks... You cannot start an all rookie team.

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2017, 01:57 PM
lol at the thought of being contenders in 2019, especially with the tear down you're envisioning.

2022 or beyond...and that's if everything goes right.

Considering we've hired a GM with minimal talent evaluation experience...and 0 experience in team building, there's going to be lots more misses than there are hits.

Being anywhere close to playoff caliber within 3 years, I'd put at less than 10%.

Thanks Christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObdC3uhPeEY

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2017, 02:04 PM
Tanking is for losers. Pathetic. We'll have a really high pick regardless. Picks Picks Picks... You cannot start an all rookie team.

It is for the most part.

In the NHL, it is stupid strategy since it is a draft lottery and you are drafting 18 year olds who mostly need 3 years before or if they will contribute at the NHL level.

Rainman tanked the Sabres for 2 & 1/2 years without anything meaningful to show for it.

In the NFL, a one year tank when your team is going nowhere and has not made the play-offs for 18 years, you need a franchise QB and you are drafting immediate possible impact players, a well timed tank is a wise strategy.

cookie G
08-15-2017, 03:18 PM
Thanks Christ.

Who's being the Debbie Downer?

Me, who says with some work and a little luck that they can be a contender?

OR

those who run around whining, "Oh, its hopeless..., we'll never be any good unless we gut the team, get rid of anyone who's any good, exhcange them for draft picks, and start from scratch...again..." ?

I think I'm being the optimistic one.

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2017, 04:19 PM
Who's being the Debbie Downer?

Me, who says with some work and a little luck that they can be a contender?

OR

those who run around whining, "Oh, its hopeless..., we'll never be any good unless we gut the team, get rid of anyone who's any good, exhcange them for draft picks, and start from scratch...again..." ?

I think I'm being the optimistic one.

You people from Kansas/Missouri are always hoping for a BIG Wind of Change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSZxmZmBfnU

YardRat
08-15-2017, 06:47 PM
Go back and re-visit the first overall picks in the NFL draft this century, or since our playoff drought started. It's not very impressive.

Tanking is unnecessary for building a team. It isn't when you pick, it's who.

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2017, 06:58 PM
Go back and re-visit the first overall picks in the NFL draft this century, or since our playoff drought started. It's not very impressive.

So your dick will go limp if we don't win our usual 6 games this year?

The Bills may NOT be your problem.

feldspar
08-15-2017, 07:53 PM
So your dick will go limp if we don't win our usual 6 games this year?

The Bills may NOT be your problem.

Stupid.

SpikedLemonade
08-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Stupid.
You were looking at the mirror?

feldspar
08-15-2017, 08:07 PM
You were looking at the mirror?

Dumber still.

stuckincincy
08-15-2017, 08:56 PM

I watched the replay of the Minny game, and Tasker mentioned that they only retained 15 starters from last season. That was before Darby and Watkins got sold off.

Pre-Tank?

Skooby
08-16-2017, 02:37 AM
I watched the replay of the Minny game, and Tasker mentioned that they only retained 15 starters from last season. That was before Darby and Watkins got sold off.

Pre-Tank?

At least a rebuild anyways.

Saratoga Slim
08-16-2017, 04:51 AM

I agree. Building a winner starts with mentality and momentum. Tank this year and at next year's camp half the players aren't listening to the coach.

SpikedLemonade
08-16-2017, 06:46 AM
Dumber still.

Get a new mirror then dude.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. Building a winner starts with mentality and momentum. Tank this year and at next year's camp half the players aren't listening to the coach.

BULLSHAT!!!

Jan Reimers
08-16-2017, 08:50 AM
My advice: Never, Ever Tank. It shows absolutely no integrity by the organization and no respect for the game. And there is no assurance that it will work. It is cowardly and stupid.

DesertFox24
08-16-2017, 11:31 AM

Brady has three years left. My thought process was to get a QB with the first three picks in this years draft. His first season is a wash because Brady still there. His second season 2019 is probably where Brady will start to decline and that is where we start to show promise and push for the division until December.

Bottom line Goodell made the league all about passing, scoring, and by association the QB. Defenses cannot do what they used to do in 80 and 90s so if you do not have a good QB you do not have a chance in hell anyway.

Basically, why I do not watch any college or pro football games that Bills are not playing in anymore. The game has become a joke.

I am fine with the player safety stuff and am for it. My problem is that they do not allow defenses to get WRs off their timing routes and with QBs like Brady it is pitch and catch.

For those old enough to remember the 80s and 90s, if a team scored more than 20 that was considered an offensive display. We averaged 24th and were what te 10th or 11th highest scoring offense last season.

DesertFox24
08-16-2017, 11:32 AM

History shows that it is more probable to find a franchise QB in the top of the first round than anywhere else in the draft.

BillyT92679
08-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Dareus will NEVER play to that level of contract and in 2019 we will be just another overweight DT.

Isn't his dead cap money outrageous with a trade?

alohabillsfan
08-16-2017, 02:36 PM
I guess the cowboys should have tanked when Romo went down. Glad some of you don't run the team. good thing the Colts did so they could draft Luck and win all them super bowls.

SpikedLemonade
08-16-2017, 03:22 PM
Isn't his dead cap money outrageous with a trade?

I suspect so.

MattyNH
08-16-2017, 03:58 PM

Go study where probowlers and HOFers have been drafted, wikipedia color codes them. HOFers have a huge correlation with to 10/top 5 draft position. There are a lot of guys who bust out but there are a lot more guys who bust out the later you go in the draft statistically.

YardRat
08-16-2017, 07:01 PM
History shows that it is more probable to find a franchise QB in the top of the first round than anywhere else in the draft.

Depends on one's definition of 'franchise' and 'top of the first round'.

YardRat
08-16-2017, 07:03 PM
Go study where probowlers and HOFers have been drafted, wikipedia color codes them. HOFers have a huge correlation with to 10/top 5 draft position. There are a lot of guys who bust out but there are a lot more guys who bust out the later you go in the draft statistically.

Go study who has had the top pick in the draft this century, and how many of those picks have played in, let alone won, a Super Bowl with the team that drafted them.

Individual accolades are nice...I want a team trophy.

Arm of Harm
08-17-2017, 09:26 AM

Over the course of his career, Bill Polian had four top-5 picks. Not once did he trade down out of those picks. Instead, he turned those picks into Bruce Smith, Kerry Collins, Peyton Manning, and Edgerrin James. That's two first ballot Hall of Fame players out of four picks, as well as a very good RB.

Whereas, you look at the first round picks he made in Indy, when he was picking somewhere between 15th overall and 32nd overall. There were a few guys who did okay, as well as a number of outright busts. But the success rate was much lower than it had been for Polian's top 5 picks, and the success ceiling seemed lower than for the top 5 picks as well.

Are there exceptions to that pattern? Yes there are. You look around the league (not just at Polian's players), and you see Tom Brady wasn't drafted until the sixth round. Kurt Warner wasn't drafted at all. But the fact stories like that are exceptions is why a top 5 overall pick is worth considerably more than a pick towards the end of the first round.

Bill Cody
08-17-2017, 12:00 PM
Go study who has had the top pick in the draft this century, and how many of those picks have played in, let alone won, a Super Bowl with the team that drafted them.

Individual accolades are nice...I want a team trophy.

I think it matters for picking the QB more than any other position because of the importance/demand but there are of course tons of exceptions to every rule with the draft. Beyond the QB there is obviously a plus to picking earlier but not enough to really worry about. So I'm not advocating tanking but let's just say if we lost a bunch of close games and ended up being able to draft a QB that we otherwise would have no shot at getting, then yeah I'm in on that. Very in.