PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Bills Coaching Moments During the Drought

Thurmal
08-18-2017, 07:58 PM
Looks like another long season; let's have some fun with it. Favorite Bills coaching moments over the last 17 years. I'll start:

-- The 2002 Bills under Gregggggg Williams having a 4000-yard passer, two 1200-yard WRs, a 1400-yard RB, and an all star-laden defense...but going 8-8 b/c the special teams were terrible and avoiding penalties were apparently not a focal point.

-- Mike Mularkey benching Eric Moulds, a certified Dolphin killer, in a 2005 game in Miami where they up 21-0, because he got animated on the sideline, then seeing the offense go stagnant as the Dolphins came back to win by a point.

-- Wade Phillips (who I really like and still consider one of the most underrated coaches of my lifetime) saying before a MNF game against the Colts in 2000 when both teams were 7-7, "It doesn't really matter, neither team is going to the postseason." Colts beat us that night and, did indeed, go to the playoffs.

I know there is a bunch more...

ICRockets
08-18-2017, 08:02 PM
I forget who our coach was at the time, maybe Gailey or Marrone, but there was a game against Indy where both teams got flagged for 12 Men On The Field on the same play.

GregclubSTH
08-19-2017, 12:36 AM
What was the game where they called a bs pass interference on us and the Bills refused to line up on the field for the extra point or field goal? I've told as much as I can remember which isn't a lot but I hope it's enough info for someone else to fill in the blanks for me.

I think Gailey is the only coach that had a billboard put up wanting him to pack his bags.

Mouldsie
08-19-2017, 12:44 AM
Every coach punting on 4th and short on the opponents side of the 50 to net 0-20 yards of field position

YardRat
08-19-2017, 01:37 AM
Greg Williams pulling out the bullhorn in tc and Doug Moron referring to himself as 'Saint Dougie' are a couple of good ones.

Mace
08-19-2017, 01:51 AM
I'll probably always be dazzled by Schwartz even coming here, much less doing so successfully for a minute.

The Jauron press conferences were spectacularly illiterate for a supposed smart guy, but Wade failing to boot an incompetent special teams coach on principle, and Marrone asserting K-Gun without a QB or competent staff are priceless. Ryan's building a bully that gets slapped around has to be up there too.

Homegrown
08-19-2017, 09:01 AM
Every coach punting on 4th and short on the opponents side of the 50 to net 0-20 yards of field position

December 24, 2016 ....Bill's OT loss 34-31 to Miami

Ryan punted on fourth-and-3 from the Buffalo 41, with 4 minutes left in OT in a game the Bills had to win because (hard to believe) they were actually 'in the hunt' for a playoff position..... punting on a day the offense piled up a franchise-record 589 yards and managed 30 first downs.

Ingtar33
08-19-2017, 12:22 PM
What was the game where they called a bs pass interference on us and the Bills refused to line up on the field for the extra point or field goal? I've told as much as I can remember which isn't a lot but I hope it's enough info for someone else to fill in the blanks for me.

I think Gailey is the only coach that had a billboard put up wanting him to pack his bags.

That was the "Just give it to them" against the Patriots in '98. Wade Phillips was coach. 2 of the worst officiating calls on back to back plays gave the patriots the win that day. One was a 4th and 9, when Bledsoe hit Jefferson on the sideline a yard short of the first down. He was tackled in bounds and short of the first down. The ref ruled him out of bounds, stopping the clock, and gave him the first down. Per Andre Reed he heard the ref say "just give it to them" meaning the first down, when they were debating the spot of the ball. The next play, Bledsoe's 30 yard jump ball to Terry Glenn went off Glenn's hands and the game should have ended (no time on the clock). However the ref's through a phantom pass interference flag on Henry Jones (they both were in the air going for the ball and bumped shoulders as the ball arrived). This gave the patriots 1 more play from the one yard line. Bledsoe hit Ben Coats for a 1 yard TD in the back of the endzone, and the bills walked off the field before the extra point could be kicked (it didn't matter at that point anyway as the game was over).

Ingtar33
08-19-2017, 12:39 PM
My favorite coaching moment was a Manboobs/Gilbride special, when the bills opened the season under Manboobs 2-0 (his last season in buffalo), and went down to miami for a monday night game. It was a close game 0-0, and frankly our defense was lights out, what was strange was how pass happy Gilbride got even though we were running well against the fins, then we called a stupid manboobs/gilbride special with Travis Henry throwing a halfback pass which was picked off. This was the game the wheels came off Gilbride's offense for good, and nothing is more iconic than that stupid playcall.

Albany,n.y.
08-19-2017, 01:13 PM
11/16/03 With Houston ahead 12-8 Gregg and/or his staff accepting a penalty late in a game against Houston that gave Houston an extra down that allowed them to run out the clock without the Bills getting a chance to get the ball back. The Texans ended the game running out of the endzone for a safety making the final score 12-10. I remember London Fletcher frantically waving his hands on the field to decline the penalty, but since the sideline had already accepted it, Fletcher's attempt to save the game didn't work.

As soon as that happened I turned to my friend next to me & said "I'd fire Gregg today for that."

Forward_Lateral
08-19-2017, 01:17 PM
That was the "Just give it to them" against the Patriots in '98. Wade Phillips was coach. 2 of the worst officiating calls on back to back plays gave the patriots the win that day. One was a 4th and 9, when Bledsoe hit Jefferson on the sideline a yard short of the first down. He was tackled in bounds and short of the first down. The ref ruled him out of bounds, stopping the clock, and gave him the first down. Per Andre Reed he heard the ref say "just give it to them" meaning the first down, when they were debating the spot of the ball. The next play, Bledsoe's 30 yard jump ball to Terry Glenn went off Glenn's hands and the game should have ended (no time on the clock). However the ref's through a phantom pass interference flag on Henry Jones (they both were in the air going for the ball and bumped shoulders as the ball arrived). This gave the patriots 1 more play from the one yard line. Bledsoe hit Ben Coats for a 1 yard TD in the back of the endzone, and the bills walked off the field before the extra point could be kicked (it didn't matter at that point anyway as the game was over).

Yep and it's the reason today that I hate Pete Carrol.

Oaf
08-19-2017, 02:21 PM
Yep and it's the reason today that I hate Pete Carrol.

Same haha, I live in Seattle and everyone loves him. I just can't.

Homegrown
08-19-2017, 02:33 PM
December 24, 2016 ....Bill's OT loss 34-31 to Miami

Ryan punted on fourth-and-3 from the Buffalo 41, with 4 minutes left in OT in a game the Bills had to win because (hard to believe) they were actually 'in the hunt' for a playoff position..... punting on a day the offense piled up a franchise-record 589 yards and managed 30 first downs.
Best part - Ryan doubled down on his stupidity

After punting the ball in OT, only 10 men were on the field when Miami RB Jay Ajayi busted loose for 57 yards to set up the winning FG

djjimkelly
08-19-2017, 03:22 PM
all these memories. ill just say one name

dick jauron - he is the face and the epidemy of this bills drought.

just looking at him in bills gear sums up why this team has been irrelevant since 1999

Luisito23
08-19-2017, 04:01 PM
Gailey's first call on offense was a pistol, and Billsology commenting about it...

I remember it like if it was yesterday...

LOL...I have no idea why.

Forward_Lateral
08-19-2017, 04:06 PM
Same haha, I live in Seattle and everyone loves him. I just can't.

I'll never forget it. It was a true show of unsportsmanship (is that a word?). They went for 2 points because the Bills ran off of the field, and he celebrated like a jackass. I can't stand that guy even more than I can't stand Bellicheat.

Forward_Lateral
08-19-2017, 04:08 PM

just looking at him in bills gear sums up why this team has been irrelevant since 1999

I disagree 10000%. He was not a very good Head Coach. BUT his teams never quit. They seemed to love playing hard for the guy. I don't think he ever lost the players. I don't blame him for the 17 year drought. That's ridiculous. If it's anyone's fault, it's Mularkey for losing to 3rd string Steelers at home week 17 when all they had to do was win to get in.

djjimkelly
08-19-2017, 04:42 PM
I disagree 10000%. He was not a very good Head Coach. BUT his teams never quit. They seemed to love playing hard for the guy. I don't think he ever lost the players. I don't blame him for the 17 year drought. That's ridiculous. If it's anyone's fault, it's Mularkey for losing to 3rd string Steelers at home week 17 when all they had to do was win to get in.

i didnt blame him by any means.

just his droopy dog look , monotone voice zero emotion. and im sorry this year may end up being worse. but the jauron era was by far the most painful to watch during this period.

too many years since 1999 to blame only 1 person. there has to be at least 20 to seriously blame. jauron is to me the poster child of not good enough irrelevance

Ginger Vitis
08-19-2017, 04:58 PM
My favorite coaching moment was a Manboobs/Gilbride special, when the bills opened the season under Manboobs 2-0 (his last season in buffalo), and went down to miami for a monday night game.

That was a sunday night game.. And it was brutally hot and after the game Manboobs made comments about bad play or poor effort or something like that and he pissed the players off they felt like they worked there asses off in that hot weather.. I agree with you that game was a turning point and I suspect he lost the players that night

justasportsfan
08-19-2017, 05:18 PM
My favorite coaching moment, Rex getting fired.

ICRockets
08-19-2017, 06:27 PM

epitome, for future reference

Ginger Vitis
08-19-2017, 09:07 PM
In 2006 when the Bills played at Indy ( 2006 was the year the Colts won the SB) in the 1st half there was 2 consecutive drives where a run play was called for Anthony Thomas on 3rd and long... It seemed like with that play calling the Bills were playing not to win and wanted to keep the clock running and keep the score close.. The Colts won 17-16 so Dick Jauron accomplished his goal of keeping the score close..