PDA

View Full Version : Hey Dennison, Taylor Isn't A Pocket QB !

Night Train
08-19-2017, 07:33 PM
You can work that with Peterman or your high pick next year.

Yet Taylor is the 2017 QB...so..

ROLL HIM OUT SO HE CAN SEE RECEIVERS OR TAKE OFF RUNNING !

End of rant..

YardRat
08-19-2017, 07:44 PM
I don't think Dennison has a whole lot in his playbook focusing on roll outs, and if he does he hasn't unveiled it yet. Besides, Tyrod not seeing an open O'Leary on a roll out (true, it wasn't designed, but still...) isn't great evidence that it would help anyway. Nice gimmick play to throw out a couple of times each game, but if we have to cut the field in half in favor of the defense in order to (hopefully) help the QB be effective at an average level we might as well take the gamble on the other guy instead.

Kenny
08-19-2017, 08:40 PM
It's preseason. We're not going to open the playbook, and we're not going to have our starting QB go out there running out of the pocket and risking injury.

Relax

Mace
08-19-2017, 08:43 PM
Don't get too upset about it yet, Dennison is typically involved in offenses that use bootlegs and play action frequently besides pocket work. I think this is just typical vanilla preseason playcalling.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/1/20/14331974/rick-dennison-buffalo-bills-offensive-coordinator-tyrod-taylor-all-22

Novacane
08-19-2017, 09:14 PM
Tyrod just plain stinks.

Mace
08-19-2017, 11:27 PM
Tyrod just plain stinks.

Yes, but besides that...

jamze132
08-20-2017, 05:49 AM
I just think (hope) that they are keeping him in the pocket during preseason to help him go through his reads. They know he's a better QB outside the pocket when he's reacting.

SpikedLemonade
08-20-2017, 06:48 AM
You can work that with Peterman or your high pick next year.

Yet Taylor is the 2017 QB...so..

ROLL HIM OUT SO HE CAN SEE RECEIVERS OR TAKE OFF RUNNING !

End of rant..

Am I the only guy that wishes TT remain on the bench?

swiper
08-20-2017, 07:02 AM
I agree with the original post. I saw a tweet that echoed Mace's suggestion that this is Dennison being vanilla. I don't think that's likely. He needs to get the o-line moving so Taylor can roll out.

If they're going to use him, they have to play to his strength - which is passing on the roll out. Problem with that, for Taylor - it takes half the field away from him. He doesn't really look back to the other side of the field.

It's a problem.

The Jokeman
08-20-2017, 09:39 AM
I agree with the original post. I saw a tweet that echoed Mace's suggestion that this is Dennison being vanilla. I don't think that's likely. He needs to get the o-line moving so Taylor can roll out.

If they're going to use him, they have to play to his strength - which is passing on the roll out. Problem with that, for Taylor - it takes half the field away from him. He doesn't really look back to the other side of the field.

It's a problem.

It is since the WCO relies on a timing based passing approach. It's why McDermott is praising Peterman so much cuz the kid gets "it". Tyrod as much as he practices developing time with his receivers etc may never get it. As he's such a great athlete he hasn't had to develop an internal clock and instead can make plays with his legs. It may be exciting but it doesn't work long term in the NFL as either you ended up hurting yourself or D coordinators develop defenses that easily shut down your passing game leaving you to only running which as we seen last two seasons not enough.

Skooby
08-20-2017, 10:33 AM
It is since the WCO relies on a timing based passing approach. It's why McDermott is praising Peterman so much cuz the kid gets "it". Tyrod as much as he practices developing time with his receivers etc may never get it. As he's such a great athlete he hasn't had to develop an internal clock and instead can make plays with his legs. It may be exciting but it doesn't work long term in the NFL as either you ended up hurting yourself or D coordinators develop defenses that easily shut down your passing game leaving you to only running which as we seen last two seasons not enough.
Nathan looks like the one with 7 years experience if you watch the games again.

justasportsfan
08-20-2017, 11:53 AM
Bills are running vanilla schemes in preseasonpeople. But I agree with the OP. TT, is an average at best pocket passer if even.

swiper
08-20-2017, 11:58 AM

No. He looks like a 50% passer. Cut it out.

BillsImpossible
08-20-2017, 02:02 PM
No. He looks like a 50% passer. Cut it out.

That's with the 3rd and 2nd team. Nobody knows if Peterman made a bad pass or if the receiver ran the wrong route.

Coaches could have looked at the film and said, "he threw the ball where it was supposed to be..."

After 2 preseason games, Peterman's completion percentage is misleading for a rookie.

It's the kind of throws he has made that makes Bills fans do a double take.

The timing of his throws is key. Peterman diagnoses the defense and throws the ball quicker than Tyrod Taylor does.

Taylor is not a pocket QB, which is why he will never be a franchise QB in the NFL.

If Peterman continues to impress in the 3rd and 4th preseason games, why the hell not start him?

What do the Bills have to lose by starting Peterman over Taylor?

Nothing, the Bills have everything to gain by starting Peterman in so many ways.

If Peterman is horrible, the Bills have a great shot at landing a franchise QB in 2018.

If Peterman turns out to be the gem of the 2017 NFL Draft, just imagine the draft talk on this board!

Two first round picks, two second round picks, and maybe even three third round picks depending on who the Bills cut.

Taylor is not a pocket QB, Peterman is.

BillsImpossible
08-20-2017, 02:13 PM
Bills are running vanilla schemes in preseasonpeople. But I agree with the OP. TT, is an average at best pocket passer if even.

In two preseason games full of easy vanilla play calling, Tyrod Taylor has been bad. Vanilla should be easy as pie, not difficult.

Not 1 TD for Tyrod, and the same old missing wide open receivers and holding on to the ball too long antics Bills fans are all too familiar with him.

Time to turn the page on Tyrod and see what the Bills have in Peterman.

He I am, on the road again....looking to find what the Bills have been looking for for so long.

justasportsfan
08-20-2017, 07:55 PM
In two preseason games full of easy vanilla play calling, Tyrod Taylor has been bad. Vanilla should be easy as pie, not difficult.

Not 1 TD for Tyrod, and the same old missing wide open receivers and holding on to the ball too long antics Bills fans are all too familiar with him.

Time to turn the page on Tyrod and see what the Bills have in Peterman.

He I am, on the road again....looking to find what the Bills have been looking for for so long.

I was kidding. Never thought much of TT as a passer. Still Don't. He's JP Losman who doesn't take chances but runs better.

jamze132
08-20-2017, 08:33 PM

Let's wait to pass judgement until they start running the full playbook against starting defenses who make adjustments.

Arm of Harm
08-20-2017, 11:07 PM
I see absolutely no reason whatsoever to roll Tyrod Taylor out, or to emphasize his running ability.

The long-term plan is for the Bills to run a West Coast offense, and to have a QB well-suited to that offense. So you run the West Coast offense over the short-term as well. If your current starting QB can't handle that--due to being a much better runner than passer--then that's fine. The extra losses you achieve by playing to the current starter's weaknesses will help the Bills attain better draft position, and help them get the best possible replacement for said starter. The Bills need a real QB--not someone whose weaknesses as a pocket passer need to be masked with an offense designed to de-emphasize pocket passing.

Mace
08-21-2017, 01:29 AM
I'm not really sure what anyone is upset about. If you pay attention, like it or not, it's obviously a transition year. We're not a contender, or a player away from glory. The transition is not going to stop being a methodical transition year. It's reasonably sensible that they're taking steps to build the team they want with a unified plan to do it for once. I don't know if it works, but at least it's the right process.

Does anyone really think this roster was made to contend NOW ? It was built and sustained to hopefully get to a regular 9-7 in a blue moon. It changed. We're no closer atm to regular 9-7 but maybe there's a chance for 10-6. Or maybe it goes back to 5-11, but nothing happened yet in the way of losing regular season games or fresh plan.

I have to figure, because I'm used to it, it won't end well, but we haven't even played a regular season game yet to measure anything. But nothing happened yet.

I'll be plenty cranky in November, but come on.

Skooby
08-21-2017, 03:21 AM
I'm not really sure what anyone is upset about. If you pay attention, like it or not, it's obviously a transition year. We're not a contender, or a player away from glory. The transition is not going to stop being a methodical transition year. It's reasonably sensible that they're taking steps to build the team they want with a unified plan to do it for once. I don't know if it works, but at least it's the right process.

Does anyone really think this roster was made to contend NOW ? It was built and sustained to hopefully get to a regular 9-7 in a blue moon. It changed. We're no closer atm to regular 9-7 but maybe there's a chance for 10-6. Or maybe it goes back to 5-11, but nothing happened yet in the way of losing regular season games or fresh plan.

I have to figure, because I'm used to it, it won't end well, but we haven't even played a regular season game yet to measure anything. But nothing happened yet.

I'll be plenty cranky in November, but come on.

There's a game in Miami for New Year's night, I'm hoping it's competitive and fun to watch. If it has any meaning at all, it might be a night game. That'd be kinda neat.

swiper
08-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Oh brother. With Skooby and BI touting him as the second coming of Tom Brady, you just have to know that Peterman is doomed to fail.

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-21-2017, 11:58 AM
Oh brother. With Skooby and BI touting him as the second coming of Tom Brady, you just have to know that Peterman is doomed to fail.

i'm not convinced they aren't the same person.

Figster
08-21-2017, 12:05 PM
Preseason is a great time to work on parts of your game that need the most work in my humble opinion OP

Skooby
08-21-2017, 01:53 PM
i'm not convinced they aren't the same person.

You're on big drugs, I have only one name on here.