PDA

View Full Version : Bills / Browns morning practice news..

TypicalBill
08-01-2003, 11:03 AM
I watched a lot of Buffalo’s offense against Cleveland’s D this morning. What I saw was an intense battle in the trenches—a top-flight offensive line, even without injured OT Mike Williams, against a scrappy and talented defensive line. Drew Bledsoe caught the Browns in a cover-2 zone on the first play of team drills. Eric Moulds made a double move and caught what turned out to be an 80-yard touchdown.

Full article (http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news_room/building/arts/2112.0.html) :church:

Dozerdog
08-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Schweet!

justasportsfan
08-01-2003, 11:25 AM
At first I thought Typicall saw it. I'm like ,how the hell do they get it Kuwait and we don't ?

justasportsfan
08-01-2003, 11:26 AM
A couple of INT's. Are you sure the Browns are playing the bills?

ryven
08-01-2003, 11:30 AM
A little one sided dont you think.

WG
08-01-2003, 11:30 AM
Mostly nice for the most part!

Here's what concerns me:

"Alvin McKinley beat Buffalo guards Ruben Brown and Ross Tucker in one-on-one line drills. Beat them bad. Come to think of it, McKinley really hasn’t been blocked well by anyone this camp. He’s quick off the snap, in great shape, and appears to be ready for big things. Also impressive in the one-on-one’s was Tyrone Rogers, who ran right by Justin Sands on consecutive plays. Rogers, who has nine sacks the past two seasons, is sometimes the forgotten man on the Browns’ defensive line."

Our interior OL is OK, not great, but helped by JJ and MW as bookends! Teague is good but not great. Brown will be fine by the time the season starts, altho who knows, age might be beginning to catch up to him at 31. Sullivan, Tucker, Pucillo, or Sobieski at RG is again, likely good, but not great. An injury on the IOL would HURT!

I'm tempering my enthusiasm this year based on TC news. Last year they said all the same things, and I fully realize that they "have to" say those things as well. It's simply not good PR to not do it. That's my job. LOL Seriously tho, it is the Team's job, FO and all, to be unrealistically optimistic. But having said that I'll be happy when all of our starting OL-men show up healthy in game 1 and play well v. a DL in "real-time."

GO BILLS!!!

TypicalBill
08-01-2003, 11:44 AM
im really not that worried because some of their players beat ROSS TUCKER or JUSTIN SANDS ... and remember, the guy who wrote it runs their message board so he has to make them sound as good as possible.... but he said in his own words "What I saw was an intense battle in the trenches—a top-flight offensive line, even without injured OT Mike Williams" so im not worried...

GO BILLS :D
Originally posted by justasportsfan
At first I thought Typicall saw it. I'm like ,how the hell do they get it Kuwait and we don't ?

LMAO!!

WG
08-01-2003, 12:02 PM
LOL

Indeed TB, but remember, they are said to be competing Sullivan's spot, so that must mean they're not all that confident in him. It leaves the rookie Sobieski, last year's 7th round pick Pucillo, and Tucker. So as I said, depth may in fact be a big concern, and even the starting spot may be sketchy.

TypicalBill
08-01-2003, 12:08 PM
yup, we deffinately need depth in the middle, i always said that.. but im happy with the starters.. :D

TypicalBill
08-01-2003, 12:12 PM
Here are some quotes from their official site's message board :D

"First play against us, 80 yard touchdown pass. Ouch. It sounds like they really lit up our new defense."

"I know it's the first play..but dang He did a double -move on someone..and that will be something we will see a lot of..hopefully not the " Got burned" result..

WOOF! "

:D

TigerJ
08-01-2003, 12:32 PM
Any news, even from an enemy's perspective is good to get. Who's this Alvin McKinley?

losman2evans
08-01-2003, 12:45 PM
Here in Detroit- they were talking about these one on one drills in general. They stated that one on one Defefensive line vs offensive line is really a defensive practice drill and the defensive guy should be winning those battles. On the flip side one on one wide receiever and cornerback is an offensive drill and favors the wide receiver.
The point of this is players lao Alvin McKinley should be beating our offensive lineman in one on one drills. They shouldn't be beating them when teams are 11 on 11.

TedMock
08-01-2003, 12:48 PM
doesn't sound too bad considering it's coming from an opposite bias. I thought Sullivan played decent last season so maybe these guys pushing him is a good thing. Hopefully the full year starting has helped. I'm worried more about Pucillo panning out than I am Sobieski. If Sobieski is 100% he's a beast. Problem is the million snaps he's missed due to injury the last 3 or 4 years.

dunedindawg
08-01-2003, 01:37 PM
The article isn't very biased at all, if you read the whole thing you will see that the writer(he is a reporter, not a fan board moderator:D) gives the Bills allot of credit.

He mentions the 80 yard TD, he mentions thrown interceptions by the Browns and how impressed he was with the Bills o-line and running backs.

At least he is reporting some news, where are all the Bills reports? Once we have some you can see how accurate he is. Cut the guy some slack.

You can't really think that the Bills have no weakness, do you? I know the Browns have many, mainly their defense.

TedMock
08-01-2003, 02:09 PM
Oh, I'm not giving him slack at all and I didn't mean to sound like he's coming accross as a Browns "homer". I agree it's not like that at all. I was referring to the "natural" bias all fans show. I appreciate that he gave the other team many props. It's tough to find that. You always want to see the better in your own team.

justasportsfan
08-01-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by dunedindawg

At least he is reporting some news, where are all the Bills reports? Once we have some you can see how accurate he is. Cut the guy some slack.

WNSA will be reporting live from Cleveland camp at around 5PM.

TypicalBill
08-01-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by dunedindawg
The article isn't very biased at all, if you read the whole thing you will see that the writer(he is a reporter, not a fan board moderator:D) gives the Bills allot of credit.

He mentions the 80 yard TD, he mentions thrown interceptions by the Browns and how impressed he was with the Bills o-line and running backs.

You can't really think that the Bills have no weakness, do you? I know the Browns have many, mainly their defense.

Welcome to the boards dunedindawg! :welcome:

dunedindawg
08-01-2003, 03:33 PM
Thanks guys. Here is some more news for you.

There were a ton of illegal procedure penalties by both teams. Yes there was a full officiating crew on hand.

The Browns defensive line looked very good against the Bills offensive line in 1 on 1 drills. Keep in mind that these drills often favor the defense.

Drew Bledsoe commented on the fact that the practice was very physical. Much more so then the Bills are use to as Greg Williams has limited the amount of hitting in practice. Bledso commented that the Browns defense appears much faster than last season.

The practice was supposed to run from 9-10:30 but was cut short by about 20 minutes. The humidity in Cleveland has subsided a bit this afternoon, but the sun is out and it feels as hot as it did this morning.

Kelly Holcomb threw 2 interceptions this morning and London Fletcher intercepted one. Tim Couch will be with the 1st team offense this afternoon.

Lastly there was allot of special teams work going on this morning.