PDA

View Full Version : Peterman

alohabillsfan
08-26-2017, 06:38 PM
I feel bad for him, he could be a good QB on just about any competent team

ublinkwescore
08-26-2017, 06:45 PM
If he is legit, he will make this team competent. We will know by the end of the season if we need to draft a qb in round 1, or start getting him some weapons and an Oline.

alohabillsfan
08-26-2017, 06:53 PM
Oline can't even line up correctly .. losing confidence in coaching staff

Mace
08-26-2017, 09:07 PM
I'm not sold on Peterman but can't write him off either. He's not where he needs to be, but isn't outclassed like most of the maybe's we pretend to hope for, really knowing better. He doesn't dazzle, but isn't afraid not to, and really shouldn't either be afraid or dazzle. The penalties and unfamiliarity are obvious issues with the offense, but realistically if he has "it", he'll elevate the team as it goes. Too early to know, but I'm happy enough with what I see from him atm. The team is not a contender, they can afford to find out how he develops.

I think he's going to become a competent QB, starter or backup, and that means we now have one of either not to worry about in the long haul which we should expect is meant to be a purposeful long haul this time.

justasportsfan
08-26-2017, 09:11 PM
He's better than Tyrod as a passer.

Mace
08-26-2017, 09:26 PM

Yes. And his throwing issues look less hm, permanent. I mean too many batted balls and timing issues, but those are reaction and pace. He's unafraid in the pocket, and completes some good throws in small windows. For a 5th round rookie, it shows he has some game to offer, though how much I sure don't know, and it's hard not to be skeptical.

He's not lost, he's learning, which is a subtle thing, but at least more progress than we usually see from prospect QB's who are both lost and learning. I dunno. Solid maybe.

BLUTO
08-26-2017, 09:58 PM
Yes. And his throwing issues look less hm, permanent. I mean too many batted balls and timing issues, but those are reaction and pace. He's unafraid in the pocket, and completes some good throws in small windows. For a 5th round rookie, it shows he has some game to offer, though how much I sure don't know, and it's hard not to be skeptical.

He's not lost, he's learning, which is a subtle thing, but at least more progress than we usually see from prospect QB's who are both lost and learning. I dunno. Solid maybe.

I like his style!

Mace
08-26-2017, 10:01 PM
I like his style!

Heh.

HHURRICANE
08-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Trade Tyrod, bring in Kapernick, start the rookie. Don't play McCoy week one against the Jets and let's lock down the draft.

Goobylal
08-27-2017, 09:19 AM
I was impressed with him. He's a rookie who was thrust into the game early without starter's reps, behind crap pass blocking and no running game, against a good defense on the road. He had: 4 passes batted down, which is mostly on the Oline; several great throws called back because of stupid penalties; drives killed because of holding calls; and some passes dropped.

To my eyes, he's already a better passer than TT and if TT is out awhile, I start him and see what he's got because TT isn't a franchise QB and I'd love to be able to use those picks next year shoring up other areas.

YardRat
08-27-2017, 10:31 AM
IMO the batted passes (Nate's from last nite, anyway) are on the QB, not the oline. If the passing lane isn't there, the QB has to adjust a split-second and wait for it to be there instead of trying to throw the ball through two bodies. Timing is crucial on many plays.patterns, but not written in stone to the millisecond. An experienced QB would pull the trigger a hair later.

jills
08-27-2017, 10:38 AM
My nephew is better than Tyrod as a passer.. did I mention he doesn't play football?

justasportsfan
08-27-2017, 12:55 PM
My nephew is better than Tyrod as a passer.. did I mention he doesn't play football?

I meant pocket passer. TT has a great deep ball. He's JP without cojones

Arm of Harm
08-27-2017, 06:49 PM
I was impressed with him. He's a rookie who was thrust into the game early without starter's reps, behind crap pass blocking and no running game, against a good defense on the road. He had: 4 passes batted down, which is mostly on the Oline; several great throws called back because of stupid penalties; drives killed because of holding calls; and some passes dropped.

To my eyes, he's already a better passer than TT and if TT is out awhile, I start him and see what he's got because TT isn't a franchise QB and I'd love to be able to use those picks next year shoring up other areas.

At this point Peterman is a fifth round pick and a rookie. His preseason play has been better than Yates or Tyrod, but that's not saying much. Thus far he's looked like a guy on the road to becoming a solid backup, but not more than that.

Fast forward to the first round of upcoming draft. The Bills are on the clock. There's a quarterback available whom the Bills really like. They think he could be the answer. What does Peterman need to do between now and then for the Bills to not pull the trigger on that QB?

Goobylal
08-27-2017, 08:08 PM
At this point Peterman is a fifth round pick and a rookie. His preseason play has been better than Yates or Tyrod, but that's not saying much. Thus far he's looked like a guy on the road to becoming a solid backup, but not more than that.

Fast forward to the first round of upcoming draft. The Bills are on the clock. There's a quarterback available whom the Bills really like. They think he could be the answer. What does Peterman need to do between now and then for the Bills to not pull the trigger on that QB?

We'll have to agree to disagree over what Peterman has shown. He's a rookie so he's green, but given the situation he was put in last night, I think there is a lot to be excited about, even more so if the OL and WR situations can be upgraded.

As for the upcoming draft, there are several top prospects who have eligibility remaining and could go back to school, especially if they see Buffalo sitting at the top. And there is no sure-fire player coming out (I'd have to see how Darnold, and the others, do this year).

Arm of Harm
08-27-2017, 09:16 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree over what Peterman has shown. He's a rookie so he's green, but given the situation he was put in last night, I think there is a lot to be excited about, even more so if the OL and WR situations can be upgraded.

As for the upcoming draft, there are several top prospects who have eligibility remaining and could go back to school, especially if they see Buffalo sitting at the top. And there is no sure-fire player coming out (I'd have to see how Darnold, and the others, do this year).

I was happy with the Peterman pick, and I think he'll be a reasonably good football player. The kind of guy who will give you solid play, should your starter go down. If you think he's more than that, all I can say is I hope you're right! I'd love for the Bills to have a successor to Jim Kelly.

But to return to my question: if you're the Bills' GM, if you're on the clock early in the first round, and if you're seeing a QB that you believe has a rock solid chance of being a franchise guy, what is your decision? Is there anything Peterman can do this season to make your decision something other than draft the QB?

Mace
08-27-2017, 09:26 PM

Agree strongly.

As to what Peterman needs to do for the Bills not to pull the trigger...that's pretty easy, progress in his development. Get a feel for the speed and pace of the pro game, develop a chemistry with his receivers, get his completion rate up to 60%.

He hasn't spent all of camp working with the same receivers in going from 3 to 2 to 1 to develop chemistry, he's pretty clearly still adapting to speed and pace. Both of those affect completion percentage.

Worth noting, in his first year as a starter, Brady was eased into the passing game by Weis. The Pats supported Brady with a strong rushing game. They didn't start turning him loose until his 2nd....giving him a chance to tune up his game. Brady always used to say he's not that good, he just works harder to make up for it. Peterman is said to be a worker, the Bills have a strong rushing game.

I'm not saying Peterman is Brady by any means, but this is a very good opportunity to gain the best knowledge of his potential or lack of it. I think this is all logical progression and the time to wonder about QB's will be after the season plays out and Peterman either gives the staff confidence, or doesn't. He's a 5th round rookie showing some good potential. Doesn't make him the One, but way too early to figure he isn't, and that trove of draft picks would do a helluva lot if we didn't need to spend them on an early QB because Peterman develops...which we don't know yet. That's a pretty decent pipe dream for once, though it's early.

Doesn't mean we can't get another one without spending picks to trade up either. Gives us options. Wait and watch and see before worrying about it.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-27-2017, 09:30 PM
He should be on the bench to start his career. He is NOT ready to be starting QB in NFL.

He has the quality that I always look for first in a QB: poise in a pocket and make quick decisions (unlike the Nix-Whaley school of big arm, athletic QBs). Unfortunately at this point, he's not adapt at reading defenses nor adjusting to NFL speed/controlling his offense etc. It takes time to get those -- and yes on the bench to soak those in.

Rushing him at this point does more harm than good for his career.

Arm of Harm
08-27-2017, 09:55 PM
Agree strongly.

As to what Peterman needs to do for the Bills not to pull the trigger...that's pretty easy, progress in his development. Get a feel for the speed and pace of the pro game, develop a chemistry with his receivers, get his completion rate up to 60%.

He hasn't spent all of camp working with the same receivers in going from 3 to 2 to 1 to develop chemistry, he's pretty clearly still adapting to speed and pace. Both of those affect completion percentage.

Worth noting, in his first year as a starter, Brady was eased into the passing game by Weis. The Pats supported Brady with a strong rushing game. They didn't start turning him loose until his 2nd....giving him a chance to tune up his game. Brady always used to say he's not that good, he just works harder to make up for it. Peterman is said to be a worker, the Bills have a strong rushing game.

I'm not saying Peterman is Brady by any means, but this is a very good opportunity to gain the best knowledge of his potential or lack of it. I think this is all logical progression and the time to wonder about QB's will be after the season plays out and Peterman either gives the staff confidence, or doesn't. He's a 5th round rookie showing some good potential. Doesn't make him the One, but way too early to figure he isn't, and that trove of draft picks would do a helluva lot if we didn't need to spend them on an early QB because Peterman develops...which we don't know yet. That's a pretty decent pipe dream for once, though it's early.

Doesn't mean we can't get another one without spending picks to trade up either. Gives us options. Wait and watch and see before worrying about it.

The Buffalo Bills have been in existence for over half a century. During that existence we've had exactly one franchise QB: Jim Kelly. (Anyone who says Jack Kemp has obviously not looked at his stats.) Kelly led us to all four Super Bowl appearances, and this team hasn't won a playoff game since he retired.

The other teams in the AFC East have a similar experience to that of Buffalo. All of the Patriots' Super Bowl wins, and nearly all of their Super Bowl appearances, occurred because of their having a franchise QB. The same could be said of the Dolphins, at least if you count Griese as a franchise QB. The Jets' Super Bowl win was with Joe Namath as QB. All four franchises have been in existence for about the same amount of time, and all have had 1 - 2 franchise QBs during that 50+ year time span.

You also look at the Colts, a former member of the AFC East. To the best of my recollection, their Super Bowls occurred when they had Johnny Unitas or Peyton Manning. They've had three franchise QBs in the last 50 - 60 years, at least if you count Andrew Luck. That's more franchise QBs than any other AFC East team.

Getting a franchise QB is an event which fundamentally alters your football team, at least for the next ten or more years. The fact Peterman lasted until the fifth round shows there were big question marks about him, at least in the eyes of just about every team in the NFL. I'm not saying a fifth round pick can't turn into something special. Joe Montana was a third round pick; Tom Brady a sixth round pick. On the other hand, the college tape I saw of Brady looked substantially better than the college tape I've seen of Peterman.

If there's a chance to fundamentally change this football team by drafting a franchise QB, do we really say no to that chance because we think Peterman might turn into something special? When it comes to franchise QBs, you don't get very many bites at the apple. If you pass up a franchise guy, it could be years before your next opportunity comes along. If you're going to err, better to err in having one too many franchise QBs, than one too few. Your extra franchise QB can always be traded away for draft picks. The Broncos got 2 first rounders, Kyle Orton, and some other stuff for trading away Cutler.

Mace
08-27-2017, 10:16 PM
The Buffalo Bills have been in existence for over half a century. During that existence we've had exactly one franchise QB: Jim Kelly. (Anyone who says Jack Kemp has obviously not looked at his stats.) Kelly led us to all four Super Bowl appearances, and this team hasn't won a playoff game since he retired.

The other teams in the AFC East have a similar experience to that of Buffalo. All of the Patriots' Super Bowl wins, and nearly all of their Super Bowl appearances, occurred because of their having a franchise QB. The same could be said of the Dolphins, at least if you count Griese as a franchise QB. The Jets' Super Bowl win was with Joe Namath as QB. All four franchises have been in existence for about the same amount of time, and all have had 1 - 2 franchise QBs during that 50+ year time span.

You also look at the Colts, a former member of the AFC East. To the best of my recollection, their Super Bowls occurred when they had Johnny Unitas or Peyton Manning. They've had three franchise QBs in the last 50 - 60 years, at least if you count Andrew Luck. That's more franchise QBs than any other AFC East team.

Getting a franchise QB is an event which fundamentally alters your football team, at least for the next ten or more years. The fact Peterman lasted until the fifth round shows there were big question marks about him, at least in the eyes of just about every team in the NFL. I'm not saying a fifth round pick can't turn into something special. Joe Montana was a third round pick; Tom Brady a sixth round pick. On the other hand, the college tape I saw of Brady looked substantially better than the college tape I've seen of Peterman.

If there's a chance to fundamentally change this football team by drafting a franchise QB, do we really say no to that chance because we think Peterman might turn into something special? When it comes to franchise QBs, you don't get very many bites at the apple. If you pass up a franchise guy, it could be years before your next opportunity comes along. If you're going to err, better to err in having one too many franchise QBs, than one too few. Your extra franchise QB can always be traded away for draft picks. The Broncos got 2 first rounders, Kyle Orton, and some other stuff for trading away Cutler.

The Colts haven't risen around Luck because they didn't put a team around him though they got their "franchise" QB. They're in the 6th year after gaining a "franchise" QB. That's looking at the Colts.

No, if we have a chance to gain a supposed "franchise" QB we do not skip it. But you keep basing Peterman's "maybe" on events that haven't happened yet. You simply can't ignore what Peterman hasn't had a chance to demostrate yet through a season that hasn't occurred.

I might well agree with you by the draft, but that's a season away full of things that haven't occurred. As of this moment, Peterman has shown some encouraging potential in the earliest opening moments of his career, and what I said remains true. If he significantly impresses before then, which he may or may not, but certainly deserves a chance to, that trove of picks becomes even more priceless. It becomes 6 shots of maybe instead of all or nothing on one. It's ridiculous to not hope for that, and way too early to make assumptions on way or another.

Arm of Harm
08-27-2017, 10:33 PM
The Colts haven't risen around Luck because they didn't put a team around him though they got their "franchise" QB. They're in the 6th year after gaining a "franchise" QB. That's looking at the Colts.

No, if we have a chance to gain a supposed "franchise" QB we do not skip it. But you keep basing Peterman's "maybe" on events that haven't happened yet. You simply can't ignore what Peterman hasn't had a chance to demostrate yet through a season that hasn't occurred.

I might well agree with you by the draft, but that's a season away full of things that haven't occurred. As of this moment, Peterman has shown some encouraging potential in the earliest opening moments of his career, and what I said remains true. If he significantly impresses before then, which he may or may not, but certainly deserves a chance to, that trove of picks becomes even more priceless. It becomes 6 shots of maybe instead of all or nothing on one. It's ridiculous to not hope for that, and way too early to make assumptions on way or another.

For me, the null hypothesis is that the Bills need to draft a franchise QB in this upcoming draft, if they possibly can. Peterman's college play does not disprove the null, at least not from what I've seen.

If Peterman has disproved the null hypothesis by draft day, then maybe you pass up the chance to draft a franchise QB. Maybe. But odds are heavily against his doing so. Even if he's the answer at QB, odds are still against him disproving the null hypothesis by draft day. The next 16 regular season games do not represent a fair opportunity for Peterman to disprove the null. He'll be a rookie playing behind what is currently a porous offensive line. His receiver corps has seemingly been thrown together more or less at random, and he's had little chance to develop chemistry with them. There's a good chance of Tyrod receiving many of the starts, thereby depriving Peterman of the opportunity to prove himself, or to develop chemistry with the starting WRs in practice.

Plenty of fine QBs didn't look good as rookies. Drew Brees achieved little during his first few years in the NFL. Derek Carr had a poor rookie year. Kurt Warner didn't even make the Packers' final roster, and worked at a grocery store for a while until later joining the Rams.

Odds are by the end of the season that we simply won't know whether Peterman is the long-term answer or not. He'll show flashes of good play, of doing things right. On the other hand he'll also demonstrate flaws which need to be corrected. If we don't know one way or the other what way Peterman's career is going to go, the absolute, right decision is to use an early first round pick on a franchise QB if we can.

Goobylal
08-27-2017, 10:38 PM
I was happy with the Peterman pick, and I think he'll be a reasonably good football player. The kind of guy who will give you solid play, should your starter go down. If you think he's more than that, all I can say is I hope you're right! I'd love for the Bills to have a successor to Jim Kelly.

But to return to my question: if you're the Bills' GM, if you're on the clock early in the first round, and if you're seeing a QB that you believe has a rock solid chance of being a franchise guy, what is your decision? Is there anything Peterman can do this season to make your decision something other than draft the QB?

I'd have to see whether he's making the right reads, has the accuracy, learns from his mistakes, and is a leader of men. If he does, it makes taking a high 1st rounder harder. But that will also depend on who is coming out and what position the Bills draft. And then if they're just outside of the range to get one, can they/do they want to trade up to get who they want and will he become a franchise guy?

Agree strongly.

This. As for his completion rate, I've seen enough dropped passes or misplayed balls (like Zay Jones' shoulda-been TD against the Eagles) that his completion percentage should be well past 60%. The OL and WR's need to step up their games.

He should be on the bench to start his career. He is NOT ready to be starting QB in NFL.

He has the quality that I always look for first in a QB: poise in a pocket and make quick decisions (unlike the Nix-Whaley school of big arm, athletic QBs). Unfortunately at this point, he's not adapt at reading defenses nor adjusting to NFL speed/controlling his offense etc. It takes time to get those -- and yes on the bench to soak those in.

I disagree. If he's got it, playing him as a rookie won't ruin him.

Goobylal
08-27-2017, 10:40 PM
For me, the null hypothesis is that the Bills need to draft a franchise QB in this upcoming draft, if they possibly can. Peterman's college play does not disprove the null, at least not from what I've seen.

If Peterman has disproved the null hypothesis by draft day, then maybe you pass up the chance to draft a franchise QB. Maybe. But odds are heavily against his doing so. Even if he's the answer at QB, odds are still against him disproving the null hypothesis by draft day. The next 16 regular season games do not represent a fair opportunity for Peterman to disprove the null. He'll be a rookie playing behind what is currently a porous offensive line. His receiver corps has seemingly been thrown together more or less at random, and he's had little chance to develop chemistry with them. There's a good chance of Tyrod receiving many of the starts, thereby depriving Peterman of the opportunity to prove himself, or to develop chemistry with the starting WRs in practice.

Plenty of fine QBs didn't look good as rookies. Drew Brees achieved little during his first few years in the NFL. Derek Carr had a poor rookie year. Kurt Warner didn't even make the Packers' final roster, and worked at a grocery store for a while until later joining the Rams.

Odds are by the end of the season that we simply won't know whether Peterman is the long-term answer or not. He'll show flashes of good play, of doing things right. On the other hand he'll also demonstrate flaws which need to be corrected. If we don't know one way or the other what way Peterman's career is going to go, the absolute, right decision is to use an early first round pick on a franchise QB if we can.

Very true. OTOH, if the supposed bumper crop of QB's that were supposed to be good/come out doesn't materialize, not to mention the Bills pick in the middle of the 1st round as has been their wont, it might make their decision easier since the best prospects will be gone.

Mace
08-27-2017, 11:58 PM

The odds are always pretty against everything though, even hitting on a QB who can lead your team for a decade. You can hypothesize he's going to fail, which isn't unreasonable regarding past history and circumstances, or you can hypothesize he won't which isn't unreasonable because he shows some development and it's real early in his career.

But it's August and nothing happened yet. I can agree if it is iffy and it just might be, you grab a QB, but if there is tangible promise which will stand out and not be so arguable, you don't have to sell all those picks to get another one. It doesn't mean you don't get another one anyway, I mean we have to at some point, anyway. But those picks are a trove you then don't have to spend from desperate.

Thing is though, we're months away from a reasonable discussion about it, when I might well agree with you.

I suppose my thought is, give him his shot before a conclusion. He's not doing great, but he's not Manuel, Jones, etc. yet either. He looks like a 5th round rookie playing against the big boys, but he is, and he's not so overwhelmed. He also has a pocket presence we haven't seen here in a while. He shows promise. We'll know if that means anything by the end of the season and before the draft.

I can't really say McDermott, Beane, and the new scouting staff are doing bad or good. The stuff has to play out.

Frenchman
08-28-2017, 12:03 AM
Tyrod will have one more year to show he is a franchise QB. And really think that if he flops. He could be traded or cut. And maybe the team will draft a QB. There have been way too many QB's and except of course for Jim Kelly and briefly Doug Flutie, hard to keep a QB these days.

jamze132
08-28-2017, 04:01 AM

The batted balls last night are a coaching issue. After the first couple of balls batted down on the same type of swing pass to a RB, our coaches should have made the adjustment which they failed to do.

YardRat
08-28-2017, 05:36 AM
The batted balls last night are a coaching issue. After the first couple of balls batted down on the same type of swing pass to a RB, our coaches should have made the adjustment which they failed to do.

IMO that's an adjustment the player needs to make on the field...olineman and QB, but mostly QB.

HHURRICANE
08-28-2017, 07:20 AM

So there is a great read on Peterman that basically says your dead wrong. His strength has been his ability to read the defenses. Hence why he's coming in cold and moving the ball downfield.

Skooby
08-28-2017, 08:05 AM
People talking about Nathan's ability to read defenses need to really get a life, the dude has great anticipation and just started throwing to these guys. I for one am excited to see him play, right now he's all we got.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-28-2017, 12:41 PM
People talking about Nathan's ability to read defenses need to really get a life, the dude has great anticipation and just started throwing to these guys. I for one am excited to see him play, right now he's all we got.

From what I saw, he's simply executing the plays given the options of those plays. Not in the reading the defense, changing plays or adjusting blocking in cases like blitzing. I guess in Buffalo, we haven't had a QB who can execute plays which requires throwing with anticipation and tight windows. Any QB does that is considered a star already!

He's gotta a long way to go. Some compares him to Trent Edwards pre-concussion. Pre-season wise, Edwards was more impressive. But to me, Peterman's little more daring for those tight window throws, especially considering his arm strength.

I hope he finds Brady's Trainer or Doctor this off-season.

psubills62
08-28-2017, 01:02 PM
IMO the batted passes (Nate's from last nite, anyway) are on the QB, not the oline. If the passing lane isn't there, the QB has to adjust a split-second and wait for it to be there instead of trying to throw the ball through two bodies. Timing is crucial on many plays.patterns, but not written in stone to the millisecond. An experienced QB would pull the trigger a hair later.
I see it as partly on the OL, but mostly on the QB. Technically, the OL is supposed to keep them out of the passing lanes and able to bat the passes. I think Peterman stared things down a little bit too much on the short drops, though. Could pretty easily tell which area he was targeting.

That said, I still like what Peterman has showed overall.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-28-2017, 01:24 PM
I see it as partly on the OL, but mostly on the QB. Technically, the OL is supposed to keep them out of the passing lanes and able to bat the passes. I think Peterman stared things down a little bit too much on the short drops, though. Could pretty easily tell which area he was targeting.

That said, I still like what Peterman has showed overall.

That's common for rookies. At least Bills are giving him a lot of hi-lo routes so there are a couple of options in even one area of the field. That's another reason I said he's not ready right now. Usually the staring part fades with better understanding of the offense, and he faces a variety of defenses and knows what those defenses can do.

Skooby
08-28-2017, 03:14 PM
That's common for rookies. At least Bills are giving him a lot of hi-lo routes so there are a couple of options in even one area of the field. That's another reason I said he's not ready right now. Usually the staring part fades with better understanding of the offense, and he faces a variety of defenses and knows what those defenses can do.
He's made more completed passes down the middle to a TE than I've seen in 5 years combined, great fade routes and out routes. I know you geniuses all spend a lot of time breaking game film down but I'll send you that way and give you a chance to rewatch the games. Drooling and pretending you know something is a message board standard, try to follow a lead given and learn so you don't embarrass yourself.

Being stupid gets handed out for free, getting educated takes an effort.

Forward_Lateral
08-28-2017, 03:20 PM
Batted passes should be blamed on the O-line. The QB is assuming the O-lineman are going to be doing their job and not allowing defenders to swat at passes.

kingJofNYC
08-28-2017, 03:31 PM
Battled balls are a sign of predictability. When a team is taking 5-7 step drops every rip then the DL will just pin their ears back and rush the passer all game long. On the other hand, if the offense is going to quick game you every rip, 3 step drop all game, there's no reason for them to go up field and pass rush when they should try and disrupt pass lanes. OL has a tough time blocking longer developing pass concepts, we play a short pass game, DL will try to bat down balls unless the OL tries to cut a few guys to get their hands down.