PDA

View Full Version : Ragland traded to KC for a 2019 4th

Albany,n.y.
08-28-2017, 11:54 AM
Link: http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-trade-Reggie-Ragland-to-Kansas-City/a1705cb1-970d-4273-bc83-60f0043f1622

BillyT92679
08-28-2017, 11:55 AM
The trade actually happened.

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/902217063997079553

- - - Updated - - -

https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/902217063997079553

BillsOwnAll
08-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Stock piling draft picks for the future

Scumbag College
08-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Wow!

BillsOwnAll
08-28-2017, 12:01 PM
Nice to get a 4th rounder for a guy who woulda been cut. Hopefully this new management can capitailize one all these picks

Mr. Miyagi
08-28-2017, 12:03 PM
I don't have any heartache on trading him away, but 2019 4th round pick? That's basically worth nothing. That far away I would've demanded a 3rd.

swiper
08-28-2017, 12:04 PM
That's a good get for a player that has done absolutely nothing. Can easily be paired with a higher pick to get the team what it wants.

psubills62
08-28-2017, 12:05 PM
I don't have any heartache on trading him away, but 2019 4th round pick? That's basically worth nothing. That far away I would've demanded a 3rd.
Yeah, it's basically equivalent to a 2018 5th round pick. That's rough.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
08-28-2017, 12:06 PM
In all my years ive never seen so many players dumped by the bills. No idea if its a good thing or a bad thing. Just no idea anymore

DraftBoy
08-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Get something for essentially nothing. Not a huge fan of sending him to the team whose first round draft pick we hold but beggers can't be choosers.

Tank on!

swiper
08-28-2017, 12:13 PM
I can't believe KC, especially given Ware's recent injury, would give that much up for Ragland. A 7th, I could see.

This really is starting to look like a full-blown tank.

Homegrown
08-28-2017, 12:18 PM
Awesome ... and reflecting on all the success Bills have had with 4th round picks, the future looks bright!!

Scumbag College
08-28-2017, 12:19 PM
My only thought of a 2018 vs. a 2019 is that the Bills already have plenty of draft picks in 2018 and need to space out the amount of rookies coming in.

WagonCircler
Seriously... how freakin awful was Whaley?

Thurmal
This guy cost a 2nd and two 4ths to get, he plays zero games, and they flip him for a 4th two years into the future. To the one team in the league to whom you don't want to provide a possible asset. Personnel moves like this are why this team has been, and will continue to be, terrible. God forbid you just keep the guy for a year and hope for the best rather than trade him for pennies on the dollar.

sukie
08-28-2017, 12:23 PM
This guy cost a 2nd and two 4ths to get, he plays zero games, and they flip him for a 4th two years into the future. To the one team in the league to whom you don't want to provide a possible asset. Personnel moves like this are why this team has been, and will continue to be, terrible. God forbid you just keep the guy for a year and hope for the best rather than trade him for pennies on the dollar.

Possible asset? The guy is damaged goods and wasn't an asset here. This is a cut and run move.

Frees up a spot for Johnny Football!!!!!!

swiper
08-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Purging the roster of all Whaley's garbage.

swiper
08-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter
Over past month, Bills now have traded LB Reggie Ragland, WR Sammy Watkins, CB Ronald Darby, QB Cardale Jones. Picks piling up in Buffalo.

Wally The Barber
08-28-2017, 12:33 PM
With a 4th rounder we can probably draft a 5'9" corner from UB

kingJofNYC
08-28-2017, 12:36 PM
Hated the Ragland pick. 3-4 or 4-3 he ****ing sucks because he can't stay on the field in the new NFL, especially in this scheme, he can't cover. A two down backer, no thanks.

OpIv37
08-28-2017, 12:37 PM
Good move by Beane getting something for a guy we were gonna cut.

And **** Doug Whaley for turning a 2nd rounder into a 4th rounder.

Skooby
08-28-2017, 12:51 PM
He wasn't making the ~53 man roster & if he went on the Practice Squad he would of been snagged so we got future value from a bad situation, great move.

Luisito23
08-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Meh, at least it's better than just cutting him...

Guy is trash though, so he won't be missed.

psubills62
08-28-2017, 12:58 PM
I'm not saying Ragland or Whaley are that great. But why are people trashing Whaley over this? This is more about our switching defenses than it is about Ragland sucking. This is the same crap we've experienced every time we change defenses, except now we're simply trading our players away instead of dumping them.

That's why I think defensive consistency is a big deal in the NFL, because that way you're not essentially wasting a bunch of draft picks from previous years.

Homegrown
08-28-2017, 12:59 PM
This guy cost a 2nd and two 4ths to get, he plays zero games, and they flip him for a 4th two years into the future.

Rex & Doug - the gift that just keeps on giving

Skooby
08-28-2017, 01:08 PM
I'm not saying Ragland or Whaley are that great. But why are people trashing Whaley over this? This is more about our switching defenses than it is about Ragland sucking. This is the same crap we've experienced every time we change defenses, except now we're simply trading our players away instead of dumping them.

That's why I think defensive consistency is a big deal in the NFL, because that way you're not essentially wasting a bunch of draft picks from previous years.

We blew 3 picks for the loser, like the 2 -1st for Sammy. Do you not see a pattern of ignorance ?

OpIv37
08-28-2017, 01:11 PM

Whaley brought in lots of guys to play the 3-4 who are still here. Ragland is the only one who is completely lost while I agree with you that consistency helps, that doesn't fully explain this situation.

DraftBoy
08-28-2017, 01:20 PM
Whaley brought in lots of guys to play the 3-4 who are still here. Ragland is the only one who is completely lost while I agree with you that consistency helps, that doesn't fully explain this situation.

Who?

Lawson, Alexander, Washington, and Worthy are the only guys who spring to mind and among them Lawson, Washington, and Worthy were all arguably better fits for a 43 set than 34.

EDS
08-28-2017, 01:27 PM

I view this differently. If it only was about switching defenses then Ragland would have had more trade value. Given the limited return, it is logical to assume that Ragland had less value then his draft position and as such was a poor selection by Whaley. Whaley as a GM also deserves criticism for drafting a player that is not versatile with a high pick. Drafting a niche player with a lower round pick I could understand.

Generalissimus Gibby
08-28-2017, 01:31 PM
Coastal, update to 18

cookie G
08-28-2017, 01:35 PM
Trader McBeane does it again

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zqHZWdFVyyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

djjimkelly
08-28-2017, 01:46 PM
My only thought of a 2018 vs. a 2019 is that the Bills already have plenty of draft picks in 2018 and need to space out the amount of rookies coming in.

extra ammo to get the 1st pick in the draft

Turf
08-28-2017, 01:56 PM
What a wasted draft the last few years have been. Just god awful.

OpIv37
08-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Who?

Lawson, Alexander, Washington, and Worthy are the only guys who spring to mind and among them Lawson, Washington, and Worthy were all arguably better fits for a 43 set than 34.

Ok then- why the **** did he bring in so many 43 guys when we were running a 34?

Dr. Lecter
08-28-2017, 02:22 PM
Good move by Beane getting something for a guy we were gonna cut.

And **** Doug Whaley for turning a 2nd rounder into a 4th rounder.

Actually he turned a 2nd rounder and two 4th rounders into a single 4th rounder, if you want to be technical about it.

Mace
08-28-2017, 02:25 PM
Surprised it wasn't conditional. I think Ragland will turn into a formidable lb in the right defense, which wasn't this one.

sukie
08-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Actually he turned a 2nd rounder and two 4th rounders into a single 4th rounder, if you want to be technical about it.

Thus Whaley is gone. Let go of the past everyone.

OpIv37
08-28-2017, 02:34 PM

Oh the past still very much haunts the product on the field.

psubills62
08-28-2017, 02:35 PM
We blew 3 picks for the loser, like the 2 -1st for Sammy. Do you not see a pattern of ignorance ?
Are you trying to turn this into a generic bash Whaley thread? I'm not defending the pick, I have no idea how good Ragland is or will be in a 3-4. In this instance, I believe the lack of defensive fit (along with the fire sale mentality) is by far the primary reason for trading him.

I view this differently. If it only was about switching defenses then Ragland would have had more trade value. Given the limited return, it is logical to assume that Ragland had less value then his draft position and as such was a poor selection by Whaley. Whaley as a GM also deserves criticism for drafting a player that is not versatile with a high pick. Drafting a niche player with a lower round pick I could understand.
Any player (unexpectedly) injured during his first full season will have lower trade value than his original pick.

It's the second round and at the time we ran a 3-4, what kind of versatility are you expecting? Usually players who can play both aren't good enough to star in one. Really pretty stupid to call him a niche player. Especially since there are different types of 4-3 defenses. We just happen to run the one that is furthest from a 3-4 in terms of personnel types.

sukie
08-28-2017, 02:36 PM
Oh the past still very much haunts the product on the field.
Meh, change takes time

Dr. Lecter
08-28-2017, 02:36 PM

Anytime I can correct Op, I am gonna do it.

He is spreading #FAKENEWS! He's failing. It's SAD! VERY SAD!! #FAKENEWS

SpikedLemonade
08-28-2017, 02:50 PM
I agree with the trade but it is clear that we could have been a better team over the past 18+ years if were managed by ******ED MONKEYS.

swiper
08-28-2017, 02:55 PM

You still owe me a cup of sugar.

EDS
08-28-2017, 02:57 PM
Are you trying to turn this into a generic bash Whaley thread? I'm not defending the pick, I have no idea how good Ragland is or will be in a 3-4. In this instance, I believe the lack of defensive fit (along with the fire sale mentality) is by far the primary reason for trading him.

Any player (unexpectedly) injured during his first full season will have lower trade value than his original pick.

It's the second round and at the time we ran a 3-4, what kind of versatility are you expecting? Usually players who can play both aren't good enough to star in one. Really pretty stupid to call him a niche player. Especially since there are different types of 4-3 defenses. We just happen to run the one that is furthest from a 3-4 in terms of personnel types.

In the second round I am expecting a linebacker that can stay in the field for every down. Simple as that.

Skooby
08-28-2017, 03:09 PM

Generic bash ?? We drafted very damaged goods, at a high cost and sold low. Did you see my how many hall of fame players have we drafted in about ~20 years ? We've been almost coached and forced out of the league by stupidity, Pegula saved us from this ignorance but brought forward the incompetence.

I wonder in the near future if there will be a mastermind to help get our sports programs back in line, totally dedicated for each it's own respective sport. Right now, we have 2 teams that are both lacking the guidance to be successful in obtaining a championship versus just coasting (Coastal's real name meaning- besides living on the coast).

Say your prayers, it's going to be a long ride and bumpy road. I don't see much excitement for this season, so unless Nathan really steps up, it's going to be a long one.

Scumbag College
08-28-2017, 03:45 PM
https://twitter.com/nfltrade_rumors/status/902274552025292800

The Ragland draft pick that the Bills received is now being listed as conditional.

kscdogbillsfan1221
08-28-2017, 03:58 PM
I agree with the trade but it is clear that we could have been a better team over the past 18+ years if were managed by ******ED MONKEYS.
so you're saying our message board could do better, huh? you couldn't be more correct.

YardRat
08-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Ok then- why the **** did he bring in so many 43 guys when we were running a 34?

Yes, Wrecks was that ****ing stupid. Not only could he not oversee an effective defense, he couldn't even identify players that might excel in his defense...IIRC he actually said something like 'give me athletes, we'll make 'em fit'. The fact that he really was too ****ing dumb to load up on 34 players is the only silver lining I have from the last two years, so please don't try to take that away too.

Oaf
08-28-2017, 04:41 PM
Wonder what our player options were..

YardRat
08-28-2017, 04:49 PM
I think he'll do well in KC.

SpikedLemonade
08-28-2017, 04:58 PM
I think he'll do well in KC.

Yes because there are good hospitals there.

swiper
08-28-2017, 04:59 PM

And Gibby. (In case he's curious what is going on in the Ukraine.)

kgun12
08-28-2017, 05:01 PM
Hated the Ragland pick. 3-4 or 4-3 he ****ing sucks because he can't stay on the field in the new NFL, especially in this scheme, he can't cover. A two down backer, no thanks.

I'll call bull*****, the guy was unstoppable at Alabama, he blew out a knee. He probably didn't fit this scheme, but to say he couldn't stay healthy is crap! I hope he has a HOF career!

Albany,n.y.
08-28-2017, 05:14 PM
I wouldn't be shocked if KC gives him the year off either by making him inactive or IRing him for this season. Right now he's damaged goods. If he had any value, after being a guy traded up for & drafted in the 2nd round, someone would have offered more than a conditional pick in 2019. If the Bills though he had anything worth seeing, they would have just IRd him themselves this season.

endzone
08-28-2017, 05:50 PM
In all my years ive never seen so many players dumped by the bills. No idea if its a good thing or a bad thing. Just no idea anymore

I believe they want to cleanse the team of it's loser mentality. Keeping Ragland just because he was a high draft pick was the thinking of the past.

kgun12
08-28-2017, 05:53 PM

I just blew a cup of coffee all over my computer, now the experts on this board are Subject Matter Experts (SME's) on the quality of hospitals in KC vs the ones in Buffalo, REALLY?

I hope you don't talk like this at your job or you might not have a job for long. Most Companies don't like bu!!***** artists! Hope you qualify for unemployment!

swiper
08-28-2017, 05:56 PM
I believe they want to cleanse the team of it's loser mentality. Keeping Ragland just because he was a high draft pick was the thinking of the past.

I think the coaches felt like they got enough of an up-close look at him to decide to let him go. Not saying you're wrong, but they haven't let Lawson walk. I just don't think Ragland had it after being injured.

SpikedLemonade
08-28-2017, 06:02 PM
And Gibby. (In case he's curious what is going on in the Ukraine.)

Maybe Gibby's Black ex-Wife is still hanging around that area.

SpikedLemonade
08-28-2017, 06:04 PM
I just blew a cup of coffee all over my computer, now the experts on this board are Subject Matter Experts (SME's) on the quality of hospitals in KC vs the ones in Buffalo, REALLY?

I hope you don't talk like this at your job or you might not have a job for long. Most Companies don't like bu!!***** artists! Hope you qualify for unemployment!

Yes I do qualify for unemployment -- I am independently wealthy with tax free income.

Did you upscale to that bigger cardboard box to live in last month?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GVV7L66xh4

kgun12
08-28-2017, 06:10 PM
Yes I do qualify for unemployment -- I am independently wealthy with tax free income.

Did you upscale to that bigger cardboard box to live in last month?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GVV7L66xh4

My income is not at issue, trust me I'm okay. You're the one who need to realize whatever you do for a living does not allow you to act like you know crap about NFL football. Maybe PeeWee, but not NFL, seriously dude, wake up!

SpikedLemonade
08-28-2017, 06:23 PM
My income is not at issue, trust me I'm okay. You're the one who need to realize whatever you do for a living does not allow you to act like you know crap about NFL football. Maybe PeeWee, but not NFL, seriously dude, wake up!

I believe the fact I have a high IQ, functioning eyes and have watched a tremendous amount of football over the past 40+ years does qualify me.

I have coached.

Were you a cheerleader?

Night Train
08-28-2017, 07:04 PM
I believe the fact I have a high IQ, functioning eyes and have watched a tremendous amount of football over the past 40+ years does qualify me.I have coached.

And I'm the King Of Siam. If it's on the internet, it must be true !

cookie G
08-28-2017, 07:42 PM

The gigilo trade still lucrative, Mr. Gere?

(I know the David Lee Roth video is coming).

cookie G
08-28-2017, 07:44 PM

Yes!!

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/ks/university-of-kansas-hospital-6670510

http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/ny/buffalo-general-medical-center-6211025

But then, Buff. General has KU's no. 1 pick next year.

Let's hope it pulls in a franchise surgeon.

SpikedLemonade
08-28-2017, 09:28 PM
And I'm the King Of Siam. If it's on the internet, it must be true !

Your opinion of me is equally important to me.

Arm of Harm
08-28-2017, 09:29 PM
One Bills Drive could use a good spring cleaning. McDermott and Beane shouldn't wait until the spring to do this. The time is now.

As they're going through old boxes, rummaging between the cushions of couches, etc., surely they will find something for which the Chiefs will trade a conditional seventh round pick.

SpikedLemonade
08-28-2017, 09:30 PM
The gigilo trade still lucrative, Mr. Gere?

(I know the David Lee Roth video is coming).

You were sooooooo wrong Christ. Probably because you are AMERICAN...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOZPRm5BW0Y

jamze132
08-29-2017, 02:58 AM
Seriously... how freakin awful was Whaley?

Lets be realistic. He was a highly touted LB coming out of Alabama and was the 2015 LB of the year in college. He was also drafted under a totally different defensive system. Rex was forced on Whaley after Marrone quit on the organization. You could argue that Whaley ****ed up with the Watkins pick and a few others but he also made some really good picks for the system they were running. When Pegula came to his senses, he had no choice but to clean house and Whaley was fired as a result. I think he was a great evaluator of talent and got the most from vets.

If Ragland gets 100% healthy, he's going to be a real good LB in a 3-4.

Buddo
08-29-2017, 04:22 AM
I'm wondering how many favors McDermott thinks he owes Andy Reid. We are becoming his bargain basement, whenever he thinks he can get something for next to nothing. I don't honestly see any real need to get rid of Ragland atm, and certainly not without giving the guy a genuine opportunity.

In fairness to Whaley, one thing I always thought, was that he tried to get players to fit whatever the coaches wanted. It was hardly his fault that the coaches kept changing, and bringing different systems with them. To an extent, this sort of fallout is inevitable, but I just wish there was more honesty involved in it. You know, along the lines of 'we are rebuilding, so if we are crap this year, we just have to put up with it', rather than we are trying to win the whole thing, which is patently bs.

While I am quietly liking McDermott as a HC, he assembled a pretty good staff, and he seems to be pretty forward thinking in the way he goes about coaching, I am extremely underwhelmed about him and Beane in respect of the GM side of things. For guys with not a lot of actual experience, they sure seem to acting like they are the smartest guys in the room.

Arm of Harm
08-29-2017, 07:37 AM
I'm wondering how many favors McDermott thinks he owes Andy Reid. We are becoming his bargain basement, whenever he thinks he can get something for next to nothing. I don't honestly see any real need to get rid of Ragland atm, and certainly not without giving the guy a genuine opportunity.

In fairness to Whaley, one thing I always thought, was that he tried to get players to fit whatever the coaches wanted. It was hardly his fault that the coaches kept changing, and bringing different systems with them. To an extent, this sort of fallout is inevitable, but I just wish there was more honesty involved in it. You know, along the lines of 'we are rebuilding, so if we are crap this year, we just have to put up with it', rather than we are trying to win the whole thing, which is patently bs.

While I am quietly liking McDermott as a HC, he assembled a pretty good staff, and he seems to be pretty forward thinking in the way he goes about coaching, I am extremely underwhelmed about him and Beane in respect of the GM side of things. For guys with not a lot of actual experience, they sure seem to acting like they are the smartest guys in the room.

Any time I want to evaluate a GM, I start by looking at draft picks. I don't have a problem with any of McDermott's draft picks, and I think odds are good that their success rate will be as good or better than you'd expect, from guys drafted where those guys were drafted.

The problem with the Watkins pick was that Whaley went all-in on a WR when he didn't have a QB. He thought he had a QB. And his inability to evaluate QB talent is an important reason he's no longer here. So now you have a highly talented WR and no one to throw him the ball. Watkins would have been a fool to sign a contract extension with this team. Granted players sometimes make foolish decisions, but you don't want to rely on that as Bills GM. Better to trade away Watkins and get something in return, as opposed to letting him walk later and getting nothing.

As for Ragland: will he go on to have a great career, or will he get thrown around like a rag doll? Who knows? My understanding is he wasn't a good fit for McDermott's defense and that injuries lowered his trade value. A stock starts at $20 a share, then goes down to $2 a share. Do you sell at $2? Or do you stay in, hoping it will go back up? If the stock declines to zero and the company goes bankrupt, getting out at $2 is a lot better than getting out at $0. And that's the decision Beane and McDermott made with Ragland. Time will tell if they were right.

justasportsfan
08-29-2017, 07:54 AM
And **** Doug Whaley for turning a 2nd rounder into a 4th rounder.Whaley drafted Ragland based on Rexs scheme. Rex wasn't Whaleys choice.

Are you going to give Whaley credit if any of the players in this last draft pan out?

Arm of Harm
08-29-2017, 08:29 AM
Just to add to my earlier post: if McDermott/Beane are getting criticized for trading away Watkins and Ragland, then by that same token Whaley deserves criticism for letting Gilmore go first-contract-and-out. Gilmore was the 10th overall pick of the 2012 draft. The Patriots think highly of him, as shown by the large contract they just gave him.

I'd much rather see the Bills trade away a player like Watkins, as opposed to simply letting him go first-contract-and-out!

Albany,n.y.
08-29-2017, 10:49 AM
Whaley drafted Ragland based on Rexs scheme. Rex wasn't Whaleys choice.

Are you going to give Whaley credit if any of the players in this last draft pan out?

We don't know if McDermott or Whaley ran the 2017 draft, there have been conflicting reports. If the players from 2017 pan out I'll give McDermott the credit & if they don't I'll blame Whaley. 1st rule of business is to always blame the guy who is no longer around when things go bad.

justasportsfan
08-29-2017, 10:54 AM
We don't know if McDermott or Whaley ran the 2017 draft, there have been conflicting reports. If the players from 2017 pan out I'll give McDermott the credit & if they don't I'll blame Whaley. 1st rule of business is to always blame the guy who is no longer around when things go bad.
:up:

Now that Whaley and NIx are gone , who do we blame now for drafting EJ?

Buddo
08-29-2017, 12:28 PM
Just to add to my earlier post: if McDermott/Beane are getting criticized for trading away Watkins and Ragland, then by that same token Whaley deserves criticism for letting Gilmore go first-contract-and-out. Gilmore was the 10th overall pick of the 2012 draft. The Patriots think highly of him, as shown by the large contract they just gave him.

I'd much rather see the Bills trade away a player like Watkins, as opposed to simply letting him go first-contract-and-out!
Criticism is, , at least from me, on a 'case by case' basis. I didn't like much the Watkins trade, if he's healthy, he's a stud. Still want to trade him, then you have the tag available. I actually thought the Darby trade was not a bad one, due to someone being prepared to value him more than we did, now we are back in a zone based secondary scheme.

I simply don't think Ragland has had an opportunity, and instead of actually giving him one, we are grabbing at poor value, for a still potentially valuable player.

Bill Cody
08-29-2017, 01:06 PM
a 2019 4th = a 2018 5th

I guess it's good we got something if we were going to cut him but damn that's a weak return