PDA

View Full Version : Dion Dawkins grades out well at LT vs Ravens

swiper
08-28-2017, 02:50 PM
per the Bills website:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-Today-Preston-Brown-continues-steady-play/39ef9620-2fd9-4ee6-8dd6-2169b4b24f1d

Dion Dawkins grades well on left

With Cordy Glenn out injured, Dawkins was asked to flip from right to left tackle. Although Seantrel Henderson had been taking first team reps in the absence of Glenn, the former-seventh round pick will have to serve the remainder of his five-game suspension at the beginning of the season. In the event that Glenn couldn’t start the season, the Bills needed a possible replacement. Dawkins was tasked with the job, and performed well.

Despite the Bills offensive line overall having a tough time with the Raven’s impressive defense, Dawkins fared well on the left side. According to ProFootball Focus, he was one of the top performing Bills on Saturday. Here’s what they had to say.

With Dawkins looking to start the season at LT, the game against the Ravens defensive front was a tall task for him on his first start, and he came out looking very solid with not allowing a single pressure and also looking very good in the run game. His 85.2 run block grade was second in the game, and a team-high.

Playing left tackle is nothing new for the rookie, as Dawkins played on the left side of Temple’s offensive line for four seasons. Coming into camp, Dawkins was asked to compete with Jordan Mills at right tackle, even though he was more comfortable at left.

As camp wanes, and Glenn returns to practice, Dawkins will likely return to his battle at right tackle. But, he showed that he could be a very capable back-up to Glenn this season, and could be a dominant right tackle once he adjusts to the new side.

psubills62
08-28-2017, 03:02 PM
Well that's good to hear. The one time I saw/noticed him, he let up a sack to Suggs.

kingJofNYC
08-28-2017, 03:03 PM
per the Bills website:

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Bills-Today-Preston-Brown-continues-steady-play/39ef9620-2fd9-4ee6-8dd6-2169b4b24f1d

He had the best run blocking grade of all RT after two weeks according to PFF, he's been good in that area, just needs improve his pass bockling. We need a healthy Glenn, we can't have Mills anywhere near this team, give the reps to Dawkins. I hate the idea of playing Mills, he's awful.

YardRat
08-28-2017, 03:13 PM
Well that's good to hear. The one time I saw/noticed him, he let up a sack to Suggs.

Wouldn't think one would be able to give up a sack and not allow a single pressure at the same time.

JoeMama
08-28-2017, 03:20 PM

Suggs didn't look half bad for a 200 year old OLB.

Goobylal
08-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Playing Dawkins at LT in the off-season, while necessary, set him back WRT competing for the RT spot. But they might have found their backup at LT.

DraftBoy
08-28-2017, 03:37 PM
Wouldn't think one would be able to give up a sack and not allow a single pressure at the same time.

Glad I wasnt the only one thinking something was odd with that.

Oaf
08-28-2017, 04:42 PM
He did not look great in my eyes. Can't say I know better though.

swiper
08-28-2017, 04:57 PM
Playing Dawkins at LT in the off-season, while necessary, set him back WRT competing for the RT spot. But they might have found their backup at LT.

I was getting the impression that LT is his natural position. Sometimes you can't force a player to be equally good on the other side.

streetkings01
08-28-2017, 06:08 PM
Keep him at LT and move Glenn to OG

Goobylal
08-28-2017, 06:19 PM
I was getting the impression that LT is his natural position. Sometimes you can't force a player to be equally good on the other side.

I believe it is, but if the idea was to have him start at RT, you ideally want him practicing there from the get-go. Unfortunately Cordy was hurt so he had to play LT, so it's no one's fault.

- - - Updated - - -

No, RT.

kingJofNYC
08-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Before we consider moving Glenn he has to get healthy and stay healthy. When he's healthy, he's very good at OT.

Buddo
08-29-2017, 05:55 AM

LOL

psubills62
08-29-2017, 08:39 AM
Ha, didn't see that part, just skimmed and noticed the part about run-blocking.

I'm not sure how PFF applies blame for these things (maybe on QB for taking too much time?), but I very clearly recall Suggs beating Dawkins for a sack. Brother-in-law and I both looked to see who Suggs beat on the replay and it was Dawkins.

John Doe
08-29-2017, 11:05 AM
Ha, didn't see that part, just skimmed and noticed the part about run-blocking.

I'm not sure how PFF applies blame for these things (maybe on QB for taking too much time?), but I very clearly recall Suggs beating Dawkins for a sack. Brother-in-law and I both looked to see who Suggs beat on the replay and it was Dawkins.

Here is a source that confirms your observation:

Dawkins earned the start over Henderson this week, and responded with a poor performance that included allowing the sack where Taylor was concussed. He also had the penalty that negated Clay’s first-down catch. This remains a real pain point for the Bills, and will only worsen if Cordy Glenn (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/154871/cordy-glenn) misses significant time in the regular season.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/28/16211280/buffalo-bills-preseason-baltimore-ravens-snap-count-notes-nathan-peterman-tyrod-taylor

The last buffalo fan
08-29-2017, 12:06 PM
per the Bills website:

:spit:

So you mean it worth ****???

Bill Cody
08-29-2017, 01:35 PM
maybe they grade our OL on a scale

Goobylal
08-29-2017, 02:38 PM
Here is a source that confirms your observation:

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/8/28/16211280/buffalo-bills-preseason-baltimore-ravens-snap-count-notes-nathan-peterman-tyrod-taylor

The sack was primarily on Tyrod. Clay was open and Tyrod should have thrown the ball when he hit his break, but he didn't, scrambled, and then was grasped by Suggs, who Dawkins was defending. he slipped out of that but then he was finished-off by Judon, who Mills was defending (and Mills just stood around and didn't finish his block, probably because he expected the ball to already have been gone by then).