PDA

View Full Version : Stafford - 135 million for 5 years!

Turf
08-28-2017, 09:46 PM
INSANITY!!

Brady's wife just elbowed him.

Mr. Miyagi
08-28-2017, 09:52 PM
Brady's wife says "dude I make that in 6 months".

SpikedLemonade
08-28-2017, 10:03 PM
INSANITY!!

Yes, I can see how those elbows could be dangerous...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7K4eosebFv4

Skooby
08-28-2017, 10:29 PM
Brady's wife says "dude I make that in 6 months".

It's her quarterly income, for real. She's probably like thanks for trophy and change, go make some real money.

YardRat
08-29-2017, 05:44 AM
So how many people think this investment will bring a championship to the Lions as a return?

DraftBoy
08-29-2017, 07:01 AM
So how many people think this investment will bring a championship to the Lions as a return?

I don't, but did they have a choice? This is what the market is and starting over is not an option for them at this point.

Forward_Lateral
08-29-2017, 07:12 AM

I can't comment because Stafford is 102909e03210102190 times better than any QB that's put on a Bills' uniform since Jim Kelly

Turf
08-29-2017, 10:13 AM
Isn't this the guy no one wanted because he was injury prone?

sukie
08-29-2017, 10:22 AM
Damn I had to look at which Forum this was in. I was about to suggest Sabres FO pee testing.

Joe Fo Sho
08-29-2017, 10:31 AM

They have a significantly better chance than we do.

OpIv37
08-29-2017, 11:12 AM
It's a lot but I can't blame them.

Bills haven't had a good QB in over 20 years. Dolphins haven't had one since Marino. Broncos got a couple good years out of Peyton but they haven't had a consistent QB since Elway. Browns, Jets, Bears, Redskins, 49ers, Bucs- so many teams that just can't get any consistency at QB. The Lions don't want to join their ranks.

Mace
08-29-2017, 01:46 PM
I don't, but did they have a choice? This is what the market is and starting over is not an option for them at this point.

Ayup, and this is one of those lil catch-22's for people who want a "franchise" QB and think it is all you need.

Stafford is a theoretical "franchise" QB. He's 51-58 through his years, with passing attacks including Megatron, defenses including Suh in his prime. Detroit has broken 10 wins twice, they're 16-16 the last two seasons *we're 15-17), and they know they need him. He's only 29, so they're going to be mired in his paycheck and middlin' results because he's good enough but not good enough.

coastal
08-29-2017, 01:56 PM
The NFL

:rofl:

Mouldsie
08-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Ayup, and this is one of those lil catch-22's for people who want a "franchise" QB and think it is all you need.

Stafford is a theoretical "franchise" QB. He's 51-58 through his years, with passing attacks including Megatron, defenses including Suh in his prime. Detroit has broken 10 wins twice, they're 16-16 the last two seasons *we're 15-17), and they know they need him. He's only 29, so they're going to be mired in his paycheck and middlin' results because he's good enough but not good enough.

Yes and no.

He's not top 5 and maybe not top 10 but the Lions could certainly be supporting him more.

YardRat
08-29-2017, 04:47 PM

Why not?

Mouldsie
08-29-2017, 04:49 PM
Why not?
I'll take him if you think that's their best course of action

YardRat
08-29-2017, 04:51 PM
I'll take him if you think that's their best course of action

I didn't say it was their best course, but am curious as to why 'starting over' is not an option at all.

Night Train
08-29-2017, 05:51 PM
Congrats on being slightly above average at QB.

It pays !

swiper
08-29-2017, 05:55 PM
I thought Drew was a right winger.

Ingtar33
08-29-2017, 07:28 PM
INSANITY!!

this is the type of money that Cousens is looking for.

Mace
08-29-2017, 07:36 PM
Yes and no.

He's not top 5 and maybe not top 10 but the Lions could certainly be supporting him more.

Well, that gets problematic. Theoretically they have. He had Megatron (huge point), very productive seasons from TE Pettigrew, now Ebron, WR Tate, Boldin when he wanted to still play. They don't have a star RB, but heavily weight to pass over rush. A good RB may be a good point. They've had a top 5 offense. They've retooled his OL with younger well regarded prospects after once having reliable vets.

He's had some real good defenses in front of him, a top 3, Suh, Fairley, now Ansah, Ngota, Slay.

He was that coveted number 1 pick franchise QB though, that solves everything (I think Stafford is pretty competent, just not fearsome...those type of QB's are rare and getting more rare by the nature of the game), has lost his three wild card playoff games in their best seasons while he was there.

Nothing seems to have gotten Detroit farther.

Flip that to the Bills. We have our blue skies "franchise" number one pick QB, a Megatron, Tate, Boldin, productive DE's, a young line with potential, some scary defensive players, get to 3 wild cards, can't win one, have a 4-12, couple 7-9's, then have to pay the guy because he's clearly the best we could get, just seems to lack something. People would be howling.

Building a competitive team is the way to go. The QB is not the only piece to focus on, though performance is desirable. You end up with someone good enough but not good enough, it costs you. The age of elite QB's might be over for a while.

Mouldsie
08-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Well, that gets problematic. Theoretically they have. He had Megatron (huge point), very productive seasons from TE Pettigrew, now Ebron, WR Tate, Boldin when he wanted to still play. They don't have a star RB, but heavily weight to pass over rush. A good RB may be a good point. They've had a top 5 offense. They've retooled his OL with younger well regarded prospects after once having reliable vets.

He's had some real good defenses in front of him, a top 3, Suh, Fairley, now Ansah, Ngota, Slay.

He was that coveted number 1 pick franchise QB though, that solves everything (I think Stafford is pretty competent, just not fearsome...those type of QB's are rare and getting more rare by the nature of the game), has lost his three wild card playoff games in their best seasons while he was there.

Nothing seems to have gotten Detroit farther.

Flip that to the Bills. We have our blue skies "franchise" number one pick QB, a Megatron, Tate, Boldin, productive DE's, a young line with potential, some scary defensive players, get to 3 wild cards, can't win one, have a 4-12, couple 7-9's, then have to pay the guy because he's clearly the best we could get, just seems to lack something. People would be howling.

Building a competitive team is the way to go. The QB is not the only piece to focus on, though performance is desirable. You end up with someone good enough but not good enough, it costs you. The age of elite QB's might be over for a while.

What's your point as it pertains to re-signing Stafford?

Turf
08-29-2017, 07:39 PM
Detroit's ****ed for years with this contact. I'm sorry but the guy is not worth that kind of money.

Mace
08-29-2017, 08:04 PM
What's your point as it pertains to re-signing Stafford?

They had to though it won't get them anywhere as Draftboy said. If I was a Lions fan I'd be happy about it with an underlying wince. I'd feel the same if it was a Bills choice.

One thing I won't argue is having a Stafford is a good thing, though it gets problematic when the price gets that high and you haven't previously gotten over the hump with a Megatron for him to throw to. For that price, you'd want him to get you farther, but aren't likely to quickly find better without him. So you chew up the cap and hope for the best, which you can't really expect.

I actually like Stafford and kind of wish the Lions would get somewhere in the NFC power structure. Been awhile with him now though.

stuckincincy
08-29-2017, 08:52 PM
I can't comment because Stafford is 102909e03210102190 times better than any QB that's put on a Bills' uniform since Jim Kelly

:log:

Bill Cody
08-30-2017, 09:14 AM
I think this tells you more about where salaries are going than about Matt Stafford. I like Matt. I'm a Georgia fan so I saw all his games in college, cannon for an arm. I think he is getting better. The man has taken a lot of hits in Detroit and he's had his share of injuries. Anyway I wish him well. I think we could have traded for him a few years ago and it would have been smarter than the doomed Sammy deal. Not that it would have really mattered. But he'd have been entertaining. That's my standard these days.