PDA

View Full Version : We get a first rounder to pass on Mahomes.

HHURRICANE
09-01-2017, 05:54 AM
Wouldn't it be a real kick in the pants if Mahomes is the franchise QB for the Chiefs?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000838294/article/what-we-learned-from-week-4-of-2017-nfl-preseason

don137
09-01-2017, 07:22 AM
From the sounds of it there is little doubt Mahomes will be the franchise QB for the Chiefs. I feel that if/when the Bills draft a QB next year will he will be compared to Mahomes. If he is better than Mahomes than Bills fans will OK with it. If Mahomes turns out to be better than the criticism will be relentless.

BillsOwnAll
09-01-2017, 07:35 AM
Can we at least see who the bills get with that first rounder before getting mad at something that didn't happen yet?

OpIv37
09-01-2017, 07:46 AM
Can we at least see who the bills get with that first rounder before getting mad at something that didn't happen yet?

Yeah, I mean, with as good as this team is at drafting, I don't see any reason to be concerned....

BillyT92679
09-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Mahomes will always be super boom or bust

k-oneputt
09-01-2017, 07:59 AM
From the sounds of it there is little doubt Mahomes will be the franchise QB for the Chiefs. I feel that if/when the Bills draft a QB next year will he will be compared to Mahomes. If he is better than Mahomes than Bills fans will OK with it. If Mahomes turns out to be better than the criticism will be relentless.

And it should be relentless. When armchair fans can sit on their couch and identify better qb's t draft then the Bills front office it's a problem.
Look no further then Mahomes and when nobody wanted to draft the stiff EJ.

GreedoII
09-01-2017, 07:59 AM
preseason...after all the football you dopes claim to watch and know you still get fooled by preseason QB's.....the real bullets will be flying next week..all this crap means nothing..wake up dolts...

k-oneputt
09-01-2017, 08:03 AM
Well its on record here with you dolts I wanted no part of the stiff EJ and wanted Mahomes. We'll see.
Come on Greedo step up. Who do you want for the next qb ?

Mouldsie
09-01-2017, 08:26 AM
Well its on record here with you dolts I wanted no part of the stiff EJ and wanted Mahomes. We'll see.
Come on Greedo step up. Who do you want for the next qb ?

I like when people put there assessment out there before the fact. Who wants to bang the table for their guy?

I already know Mitch says Peterman is the best QB from the draft so he'll say we pulled one over on them. ;P

GingerP
09-01-2017, 08:28 AM
Mahomes has looked terrific. Just watching him you can see he has a boatload of talent, you can see why they traded to get him. He won't play this year unless Smith gets hurt, so he will have some time to develop behind the scenes. You never know for sure how good he can be until he gets to play real football and not preseason, but you can see the talent. He looks like a young Aaron Rodgers, only bigger.

Goobylal
09-01-2017, 08:29 AM
Peterman will be better.

kingJofNYC
09-01-2017, 08:59 AM
Mahomes makes some amazing vertical throws, Peterman doesn't have that in his game or rather we haven't seen it thus far.

The first deep throw Mahomes makes is fantastic, because it shows off his anticipation and understanding of the way route combos manipulate coverage. You have a deep post on the backside of the formation, Mahomes uses good ball handling on the fake and immediately turns his head to the strong side and eyes the single high safety. The deep crossing route pulls the single high down, Mahomes knows that if he looks it down he'll have the back side post wide open for easy yards. That really shows off what he can be. Understanding of coverage, ball handling and eye manipulation, and finally a great throw.

I'll say one thing, this QB class was ****ted on, but Trubisky & Mahomes look pretty solid, and a few of the 2nd and 3rd day guys haven't done too bad as well. This gives the league some juice, anytime we get an influx of QB talent it's good for the league. Upcoming class should be good too depending on who declares.

Bill Cody
09-01-2017, 09:03 AM

No

HAMMER
09-01-2017, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I mean, with as good as this team is at drafting, I don't see any reason to be concerned....

New regime, new scouting department. Maybe you could give them a chance?

Kenny
09-01-2017, 10:12 AM
preseason...after all the football you dopes claim to watch and know you still get fooled by preseason QB's.....the real bullets will be flying next week..all this crap means nothing..wake up dolts...

But.... Nathan Peterman is the next HOF QB?

OpIv37
09-01-2017, 10:16 AM
New regime, new scouting department. Maybe you could give them a chance?

Sure, just like I did for Whaley, Nix, Brandon, Levy, Donahoe.....

The new regime is the same as the old one as long as Brandon is here and Pegula keeps being hands-on.

DesertFox24
09-01-2017, 10:17 AM
You guys get all hung up on highlights. Even that 62 yard pass on the run he had guys open that were primary in his progression and he missed them, and then rolled out and made a nice throw. This was the knock on him at Texas Tech, he would not read the defense fast enough and would miss wide open easy throws.

The very next pass would have been an interception with starters playing, and then the next series he should have thrown a pick 6.

In other words yes please get a hard on for preseason highlights and crown a guy.

I have no idea if he will be good or not yes he has elway arm but that does not make a good QB. Two best QBs in the history of this game are Brady and Montana and neither of them had a cannon.

GingerP
09-01-2017, 10:29 AM
You guys get all hung up on highlights. Even that 62 yard pass on the run he had guys open that were primary in his progression and he missed them, and then rolled out and made a nice throw. This was the knock on him at Texas Tech, he would not read the defense fast enough and would miss wide open easy throws.

The very next pass would have been an interception with starters playing, and then the next series he should have thrown a pick 6.

In other words yes please get a hard on for preseason highlights and crown a guy.

I have no idea if he will be good or not yes he has elway arm but that does not make a good QB. Two best QBs in the history of this game are Brady and Montana and neither of them had a cannon.

No doubt, he was inconsistent. He didn't throw a pick, but as you point out he could have a couple times during the preseason. That said, you are looking at a 6-3, 230# guy with plus athleticism and elite arm talent. He showed the game wasn't too big for him and looked promising. He just looked the part. He now gets to develop behind the scenes, learn to study and what it takes to be a pro. He has a long way to go and has to prove he can do it in real games, but I can understand why KC fans are excited about his future.

BillsFanCupp38
09-01-2017, 11:56 AM
This dude looks awesome. I know it's only preseason but dude has all the tools.

feldspar
09-01-2017, 12:49 PM
... dude has all the tools.

If I had a dime for every time I've heard that...

Such a bad cliché.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-01-2017, 01:51 PM
This is like people are complaining the Bills didn't spend a 5th round on Brady back when. Skipped on Wilson. But also skipped on a lot of others who eventually became a bust, like Kap. Looking back, everyone has 20/20 vision. And you look very smart.

It is so different if I ask you to bet your life savings on a pick going forward.

Mahomes may or may not work out. Andy Reid took a gamble. the Bills sees differently. I'm actually fine with Bills approach this time - by the numbers. They got Peterman this year. I have very high confidence they will spend a high draft pick on another. Keep going.

What I don't like is kind of like what they did in 2nd round this year, giving up all those picks to gamble on one player -- I'd hate next year they give up all to draft one QB. How many teams came out ahead giving up all for one QB in the past? The truth is, if that QB is such a given to be successful in NFL like a Manning or Luck, the team in the position to draft him will never be willing to trade out that spot.

To me, just keep on draft one until you get it right.

BertSquirtgum
09-01-2017, 03:13 PM
This dude looks awesome. I know it's only preseason but dude has all the tools.
Just like Colin Kaepernick did in his first year right?

Mouldsie
09-01-2017, 04:54 PM
This is like people are complaining the Bills didn't spend a 5th round on Brady back when. Skipped on Wilson. But also skipped on a lot of others who eventually became a bust, like Kap. Looking back, everyone has 20/20 vision. And you look very smart.

It is so different if I ask you to bet your life savings on a pick going forward.

Mahomes may or may not work out. Andy Reid took a gamble. the Bills sees differently. I'm actually fine with Bills approach this time - by the numbers. They got Peterman this year. I have very high confidence they will spend a high draft pick on another. Keep going.

What I don't like is kind of like what they did in 2nd round this year, giving up all those picks to gamble on one player -- I'd hate next year they give up all to draft one QB. How many teams came out ahead giving up all for one QB in the past? The truth is, if that QB is such a given to be successful in NFL like a Manning or Luck, the team in the position to draft him will never be willing to trade out that spot.

To me, just keep on draft one until you get it right.
I feel like this post is all over the place.

It's okay to be a fan, but I am also not an apologist. This FO does have the benefit of not having done much either way yet so I am in wait and see mode.

That said, I am always out here putting my name to opinions before the 20/20 hindsight.

MY QB rankings this year:
Mahomes
Kizer
Kelly (would be #1 if he showed some type of professionalism)
Trubisky
Watson

That said I wasn't enamored with any of them enough to trade up aggressively the way KC did so they def had a plan. It's obviously easy to say I wanted Russel Wilson badly but it's in the digital record. I've never heard anyone say they thought we should have taken Brady.

Last year I had it: Goff, Wentz, Prescott.... it was clear to anyone with a brain that Prescott was superior to the other names being thrown around like Lynch, Hackenberg, and Cook. We'll see if my Cal fandom got the best of me with Goff, but he's young and he doesn't have to get saddled with Jeff Fisher anymore so that's good.

Next year I have a feeling I'll be banging the table for Josh Rosen.... if he plays the way I think he can play and if he declares for the draft. I am not so enamored with anyone else, yet. Pretty confident I do not want Mason Rudolph.

Forward_Lateral
09-01-2017, 04:57 PM
The guy hasn't played down yet. Jesus Christ let's not anoint him already

YardRat
09-01-2017, 05:05 PM
The only thing that disappoints me about the trade is I don't think we got enough picks in return. But, if that's the very best they could do at the time, I guess it is what it is. I still make that trade today.

Mouldsie
09-01-2017, 05:14 PM
The only thing that disappoints me about the trade is I don't think we got enough picks in return. But, if that's the very best they could do at the time, I guess it is what it is. I still make that trade today.

I think I might still as well and agree on the compensation. I think maybe Reid got a discount from the guy he mentored.

Ultimately I want a bonafide top 10 QB. Mahomes might end up being Matt Stafford-esque. Guy you need to retain if you have him but you'd rather have Mariota, Wilson, Carr, Luck, etc

jimmifli
09-01-2017, 06:10 PM
This is like people are complaining the Bills didn't spend a 5th round on Brady back when. Skipped on Wilson.

The draft day thread here was full of excitement for Wilson in the 2nd, but we picked Glenn instead and most were pretty happy with pick, but then Wilson kept falling and people were freaking out he might make it to us in the 3rd, when it happened the thread exploded - like drafting Wilson was a foregone conclusion. Thankfully we drafted future HOF WR TJ Graham instead of that bum and the rest is history.

swiper
09-01-2017, 06:12 PM
The draft day thread here was full of excitement for Wilson in the 2nd, but we picked Glenn instead and most were pretty happy with pick, but then Wilson kept falling and people were freaking out he might make it to us in the 3rd, when it happened the thread exploded - like drafting Wilson was a foregone conclusion. Thankfully we drafted future HOF WR TJ Graham instead of that bum and the rest is history.

Spot on as I recall.

YardRat
09-01-2017, 07:42 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/211669-The-Official-2012-NFL-Draft-Thread

Unless I missed it, there isn't a single mention of Wilson in the draft thread until after TJ Graham is picked, when Pecan suggests trading back up and snagging the QB.

YardRat
09-01-2017, 07:50 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/211755-WHO-DO-U-WANT-IN-THE-3RD

Not many replies, but no mention of Wilson.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/211757-round-3-the-Bills-pick

Reaction to the TJG pick, no 'we shoulda drafted Russell Wilson instead' responses.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/211764-Damn-it-I-wanted-Russell-Wilson

Miyagi started a Wilson thread, but not too many hopped on the bandwagon.

feldspar
09-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Coulda, woulda, shoulda about a lot of things.

I'll say that I didn't want to draft Mahomes, and I'm glad the Bills didn't. I like that they traded down a lot.

HHURRICANE
09-01-2017, 11:48 PM
Unlike picking Brady etc., which would be speculation or having a crystal ball, we decided to actively give away our pick so another team could take this player. So the Bills do get to be roasted if another team does great with a player we could have had at that exact spot when we had all the control.

HHURRICANE
09-01-2017, 11:49 PM
Unlike picking Brady etc., which would be speculation or having a crystal ball, we decided to actively give away our pick so another team could take this player. So the Bills do get to be roasted if another team does great with a player we could have had at that exact spot when we had all the control.

And BTW, we were in desperate need of a QB at the time.

Night Train
09-02-2017, 06:46 AM
We "settled" for CB White and a 1st round pick in a draft loaded with far more highly rated QB's. Took a flier on Peterman in Round 5.

I like what the Bills did.

k-oneputt
09-02-2017, 07:08 AM
That's fine and great. I think White will be a solid cb in this league for the next 7-8 years but cb's don't win games,qb's do. So when you don't have one and one falls into your lap at your pick you take him. Unless your the Bills of course. And who says we can't use next years top-10th pick on another qb ? There is nothing wrong with getting two top young qb prospects. Until then just keep those wheels spinning.

jimmifli
09-02-2017, 12:14 PM
http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/211755-WHO-DO-U-WANT-IN-THE-3RD

Not many replies, but no mention of Wilson.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/211757-round-3-the-Bills-pick

Reaction to the TJG pick, no 'we shoulda drafted Russell Wilson instead' responses.

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php/211764-Damn-it-I-wanted-Russell-Wilson

Miyagi started a Wilson thread, but not too many hopped on the bandwagon.

Maybe I'm thinking of the Range draft thread.

YardRat
09-02-2017, 08:01 PM
Maybe I'm thinking of the Range draft thread.

I was a little bit taken aback when looking for the threads, to be honest. I thought there was more discussion regarding Wilson myself.