X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Forward_Lateral
    • Mar 2004

Thoughts on Taylor vs Peterman and who should start week 1

First, and foremost, Taylor's health should be the primary concern. Whether you think he's a starting QB, or whether you don't, concussions aren't to be fooled around with. If he's not cleared by Monday, he doesn't start, IMO. You can't go into the season opener splitting first team reps with the team guessing who the starting QB is going to be. That's asking for trouble.

If he's cleared, he likely starts.

Now, do I think he should start? No. The team is not a playoff contender with him at QB. They most likely aren't with Peterman either. That being said, if I'm rebuilding a team, I'd like to find out if Peterman is game ready sooner, rather than later. If he absolutely sucks, then Taylor goes in and stays in until he gets hurt again.

If Peterman does "OK" or better, you keep going with him. The days of being able to have a young QB sit and learn are long gone. Rarely does that happen in today's NFL. Don't throw the "you'll ruin him by playing him too early" bullcrap either. Either he has it, or he doesn't. I'm not talking about making mistakes, that is going to happen. I'm talking about reading quickly, not hesitating to make throws, taking shots. Not being afraid.

I guess we should find out soon enough, but my gut says Taylor will be starting week 1, even though I don't think there's a point to it.
  • ublinkwescore
    Sab and TD are insignificant
    • Sep 2002

Re: Thoughts on Taylor vs Peterman and who should start week 1

Honestly, we know we aren't a playoff team and we will tank regardless of who the qb is. Our defense isn't very good, and our offense stinks.
    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Albany,n.y.
      • Jul 2002

There's no point to anyone starting at QB. The QB of the future is still in college.

I don't want another Kirk Cousins at QB, I want a franchise QB, not a middle of the road guy, which is Peterman's ceiling. I want a Super Bowl champion, not a wild card 1 and done in the playoffs team.

As far as splitting practice reps goes, I don't care. Your starter is your starter, even if he misses the week of practice before the game-he can still learn the gameplan without practicing. Let's look at it this way: If Jimmy Garoppolo took all the 1st team reps because Tom Brady couldn't practice & on Sunday morning Brady was cleared to play, Brady would start that Sunday.

Comment

• justasportsfan
        • Jul 2002

If TT is healthy ,start him. Once we're ahead by 30 pts. after the 3rd qtr, bring in Perterman.
        sacrifice1
        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by justasportsfan View Post
          If TT is healthy ,start him. Once we're down by 30 pts. after the 3rd qtr, bring in Perterman.
          fixed

Comment

• cookie G
            • Mar 2003

When I read someone start their argument with "this team isn't a playoff contender" (as if its some type of fact) ...I realize this is someone who's more happy making mock drafts and watching Roger Goodell at the podium than he is watching playoff games in January.

17 years of losing can certainly create a loser mentality.

But to counter the utter ridiculousness of the tired, "we're not playoff contenders" routine...

the Bills scored as many, or more offensive TD's as 8 of the 12 playoff teams last year. (yes Yardie, that doesn't include ST or defensive TD's).

Buffalo...46 offensive TD's 49 total.

NE 51
            Oak 46
            Pit 46
            Mia 43
            KC 36
            Hou 24

Atl 58
            GB 51
            Dal 49
            Sea 36
            Det 33
            NYG 32

For those keeping track at home...that's as many ...or more (in some cases a lot more) than 2/3 of the playoff teams.

You'd kinda think... if they hired a defensive guru as their new HC...he'd have enough in him to improve the defense enough put them into contention. If not..why was he hired?

But...Buffalo being Buffalo...will tear down what was built because...its what we do.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

While what Cookie presents is all well good, don't forget this was a Bills team that was 30th in passing.

And what wins in today's NFL? QB play. The QB play here is simply not good enough to make the playoffs unless the defense turns out an 85 Bears type of performance. There isn't enough talent on that side of the ball to do that, there wasn't last year either.

Comment

• Mace
                Haha...yeah you think so ?
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by cookie G View Post
                When I read someone start their argument with "this team isn't a playoff contender" (as if its some type of fact) ...I realize this is someone who's more happy making mock drafts and watching Roger Goodell at the podium than he is watching playoff games in January.

17 years of losing can certainly create a loser mentality.

But to counter the utter ridiculousness of the tired, "we're not playoff contenders" routine...

the Bills scored as many, or more offensive TD's as 8 of the 12 playoff teams last year. (yes Yardie, that doesn't include ST or defensive TD's).

Buffalo...46 offensive TD's 49 total.

NE 51
                Oak 46
                Pit 46
                Mia 43
                KC 36
                Hou 24

Atl 58
                GB 51
                Dal 49
                Sea 36
                Det 33
                NYG 32

For those keeping track at home...that's as many ...or more (in some cases a lot more) than 2/3 of the playoff teams.

You'd kinda think... if they hired a defensive guru as their new HC...he'd have enough in him to improve the defense enough put them into contention. If not..why was he hired?

But...Buffalo being Buffalo...will tear down what was built because...its what we do.
                Well, not to get your blood pressure up because I worry about you, but this team is not a playoff contender. I mean you watched the same games I did and saw it.

The offense, td's regardless was not a couple td's less formidable than New England, had no effective hurry up offense, as Pink noted was incapable when passing was required to match scores. The defense wasn't just a tweak away. The dumb penalties were out of control. The kicking game was sub par. The talent in the pipeline was inadequate. We weren't as offensively formidable as Dallas.

I don't see us tearing down what we built (I mean what we built was no great shakes anyway, it was a perennial 7-9/9-7 range team), I see us abating and refurbishing it, gutting as needed.

I mean I saw the games. They're just not a contender.

I'm fine with however it develops. Peterman will end up in there sooner or later anyway because the nature of Taylor's game will get him creamed, and I haven't seen anyone with the whole offensive playbook yet.

For once I don't feel short term impatient.
                Last edited by Mace; 09-01-2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• cookie G
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                  Well, not to get your blood pressure up because I worry about you, but this team is not a playoff contender. I mean you watched the same games I did and saw it.

The offense, td's regardless was not a couple td's less formidable than New England, had no effective hurry up offense, as Pink noted was incapable when passing was required to match scores. The defense wasn't just a tweak away. The dumb penalties were out of control. The kicking game was sub par. The talent in the pipeline was inadequate. We weren't as offensively formidable as Dallas.

I don't see us tearing down what we built (I mean what we built was no great shakes anyway, it was a perennial 7-9/9-7 range team), I see us abating and refurbishing it, gutting as needed.

I mean I saw the games. They're just not a contender.

I'm fine with however it develops. Peterman will end up in there sooner or later anyway because the nature of Taylor's game will get him creamed, and I haven't seen anyone with the whole offensive playbook yet.

For once I don't feel short term impatient.
                  Oh, I know what I saw...an offense that made the end zone a hell of a lot more than it had in the past.

And it was an offense that could actually score from the redzone. No more settling for field goals.

It didn't score in the way people wanted them to...but people who only count TD's through passing..could watch the Arena league.

The stats back what I saw.....they sure don't back up what you saw. But..the eyes see what they want to see...proof or not.

To say the offense wasn't/isn't good enough to contend for the playoffs is a claim without any basis in fact. In fact, its contrary to the great weight of the evidence, i.e the 8 teams that DID make the playoffs with the same, or less TD;s.

"I know what I saw" doesn''t change the facts.

It's more of sayng, "I ain't got nothing else."

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Taylor should start, unless injury prevents it. Not necessarily what I want, but what it should be.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by ublinkwescore View Post
                      Our defense isn't very good
                      Really ?
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
                        • Jun 2024

Start Peterman up....

Comment

• DraftBoy
                          Administrator
                          • Jul 2002

If you're truly tanking then Wenning makes the roster and he starts, but since we're going to put forth some effort Taylor is going to start.

I don't quite know how good or bad we'll be, I just fear we're going to be a 6-8 win team that is sitting at #12-15 in next years draft without the pieces to trade to go get a top QB.
                          COMING SOON...
                          Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
                            fixed
                            Buzzkill
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by DraftBoy View Post
                              If you're truly tanking then Wenning makes the roster and he starts, but since we're going to put forth some effort Taylor is going to start.

I don't quite know how good or bad we'll be, I just fear we're going to be a 6-8 win team that is sitting at #12-15 in next years draft without the pieces to trade to go get a top QB.
                              The point I was trying to make. I'd rather see the team overachieve and win with Peterman learning on the fly than with Tyrod. There's a 1% chance Tyrod all of the sudden becomes a good QB. There's probably a 50-50 chance with Peterman at this point. Obviously that could change, but I don't see Tyrod being anything we don't already know that he is.

Comment

Working...
                              X