PDA

View Full Version : Bills have 3rd-oldest roster in NFL

GingerP
09-04-2017, 07:31 AM
26.74 years old.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2017-edition/

I was surprised when I read that. That doesn't sound like a rebuilding team. It would lend credence to them not tanking.

swiper
09-04-2017, 07:37 AM
Kyle Williams, L. Alexander, Incognito, Tolbert.

Shoot. I didn't realize that Colt Anderson is 31.

http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster.html

2018 will turn this statistic around.

SpikedLemonade
09-04-2017, 07:42 AM
Ridiculous

kishoph
09-04-2017, 08:40 AM

Well don't have to worry about Anderson's age anymore, they filled his roster spot with a younger Joe Webb.

YardRat
09-04-2017, 08:41 AM
We traded away all of the young guys.

The last buffalo fan
09-04-2017, 04:55 PM
La juventud es estúpida!

BLUTO
09-04-2017, 05:34 PM

Experienced NFL players past their 2nd contracts and with a good attitude. (Anderson is gone now)

SpikedLemonade
09-04-2017, 07:07 PM
The last thing we should be in a rebuilding year is the 3rd oldest team in the NFL.

Mace
09-04-2017, 07:12 PM
La juventud es estúpida!

y viejos presidentes

Mace
09-04-2017, 07:16 PM
The last thing we should be in a rebuilding year is the 3rd oldest team in the NFL.

The rebuilding doesn't start until next year. This is...um...pre-rebuilding post-retooling.

SpikedLemonade
09-04-2017, 07:48 PM
The rebuilding doesn't start until next year. This is...um...pre-rebuilding post-retooling.
WTF?

Mace
09-04-2017, 08:13 PM
WTF?

I don't know, I spilled coffee on the papers I got from Beane explaining the process.

Step 1 : Pre-rebuilding retooling.
Step 2 : Pre-rebuilding post-retooling.

The rest is illegible, and you don't ask Brandon Beane for a 2nd copy, or Brandon Beane will scorn you. When Brandon Beane scorns you, you really feel scorned.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/OGwYGsRiRZsLbPKY2hcNL6X48sg=/0x0:3132x4324/1200x800/filters:focal(1149x616:1649x1116)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/56488515/usa_today_10218928.0.jpg

Arm of Harm
09-04-2017, 09:26 PM
During Whaley's tenure, the Bills did not do a good job at acquiring young player talent. So already you're setting the stage for an aging roster. Add to that the fact that Beane traded away some of the (very few) good young players Whaley did find, and that makes the roster even older. We're paying the price for the sins of the past.

We have two picks each in the first and second round of next year's draft, thanks to trades by McDermott and Beane. Long-term, that should help us become a younger team than what we are now. Between the guys McDermott just drafted and this upcoming draft, I'm hopeful that we'll make solid progress towards achieving the core of young talent Whaley failed to provide.

stuckincincy
09-04-2017, 09:33 PM
26.74 years old.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/ranking-nfl-teams-age-after-53-man-cutdowns-2017-edition/

I was surprised when I read that. That doesn't sound like a rebuilding team. It would lend credence to them not tanking.

Well, they have gotten rid of most of the 2016 team. Perhaps we should use the term "reloading", instead of rebuilding?

CIN average age last season was 26.30 but is now 25.33 - 3rd youngest. That's a bit under a year's difference. Not much. The years don't matter, IMO.

Some older vets walked. The big thing with CIN is that Coach-for-Life Marvin's preference for safe, job security vets have been put aside (at long last).

15 players on their 2017 roster have never taken an NFL regular season snap.

Mr. Cynical
09-04-2017, 11:40 PM
They didn't say whether they used the mean or the median. If the mean, it's garbage, since a few old guys that don't even start could skew the number. If it is the median, which mitigates those outliers, then ok.

stuckincincy
09-05-2017, 12:13 AM
They didn't say whether they used the mean or the median. If the mean, it's garbage, since a few old guys that don't even start could skew the number. If it is the median, which mitigates those outliers, then ok.

This is a sports forum.

Math don't matter! :drive:

SpikedLemonade
09-05-2017, 01:34 AM
I don't know, I spilled coffee on the papers I got from Beane explaining the process.

Step 1 : Pre-rebuilding retooling.
Step 2 : Pre-rebuilding post-retooling.

The rest is illegible, and you don't ask Brandon Beane for a 2nd copy, or Brandon Beane will scorn you. When Brandon Beane scorns you, you really feel scorned.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/OGwYGsRiRZsLbPKY2hcNL6X48sg=/0x0:3132x4324/1200x800/filters:focal(1149x616:1649x1116)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/56488515/usa_today_10218928.0.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PCkvCPvDXk

Arm of Harm
09-05-2017, 06:53 PM

You are 100% right.

However, the conclusion cited in the OP passes the smell test. Why? Because a year or so ago, I remember hearing that the Bills had the fewest drafted players of any team in the NFL. That directly speaks to Whaley's failure to build a core of young talent.

My sense is that Beane and McDermott have the long-term plan of solving that problem through the draft. But the free agents they've signed have not, at least thus far, been particularly notable for youth.

Mace
09-05-2017, 09:11 PM
You are 100% right.

However, the conclusion cited in the OP passes the smell test. Why? Because a year or so ago, I remember hearing that the Bills had the fewest drafted players of any team in the NFL. That directly speaks to Whaley's failure to build a core of young talent.

My sense is that Beane and McDermott have the long-term plan of solving that problem through the draft. But the free agents they've signed have not, at least thus far, been particularly notable for youth.

There's probably an argument to compare it to what Reggie McKenzie is doing in Oakland. They accumulated cap and picks while spending minimal on middling free agents that could be discarded, without impacting development time too much on youth they meant to build around, building in layers and often flopping around woeful while they did it. They went through too many coaches doing it though (not the one guy who fits/helped design the plan) and it assumes you hit on a Carr, which is infrequent these days.

Imho, the Raiders also needed to cut out more rot than we started with though, and I'm uncertain about some of what we cut out.

In the end though, I have to go back to my base concept, to give an organization the best chance to succeed or fail, they have to get their complete freedom to try and implement their vision.

I'm still trusting McDermott and Beane, they have a grace period, but if this craps out my lifelong love of football after all these years might become a fading background buzz of apathy.

Wally The Barber
09-06-2017, 03:37 AM
I love these old guys

ghz in pittsburgh
09-06-2017, 08:53 AM
McDermott and Beane want character guys but one thing I agree with Whaley, in that you need top end talent to be the pillars of your team. Whaley chased in that direction, disregarding character and injury, and failed badly.

True all superbowl teams, great teams will have a couple of HOF or playing at HOF level for a short period players. But Whaley, through his draft, netted none. Watkins might be the best pure talent player he drafted but injury rendered it moot in Buffalo. A few guys he drafted may be considered upper echelon players but no one elite.

If you don't get it by draft, you have to go free agency and trade. McCoy is probably the best talent on this team. Clay is a fine FA acquisition. But you pay a big price in terms of cap and you get older players. Not a long term success strategy.

I have to believe the Pegulas came to the same realization that drafting is the key. Forget about having that QB -- that franchise guy is not going to be bought, would have to come from draft, just about overall draft quality. That's why the draft day trade down for picks. That's why the firing of entire scouting department. That's why the continued trade involving getting draft picks.

Unfortunately older guys with big contract offer virtually no value, and the Bills are full of those guys now. I believe next year and beyond, you'll see a continuation of youth movement. hopefully the new scouting department under Beane is doing their job.