X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wally The Barber
    • Jul 2007

Buffalo's strange obsession with tanking

By now, Buffalo Bills fans have heard on the radio and on the television the word “tanking” more times than they can recount.
    So what exactly is a “tank” and what does “tanking” mean?
    A tank, by loose definition, is a team’s attempt to deliberately put the franchise in a position to lose as many games as possible in order to solidify a top overall pick in the coming year’s draft.
    The tank apparently originated in the NBA recently when poor-performing teams decided that they would rather have a better overall pick than try to salvage an unsalvageable season. Essentially, why try if you aren’t going to win and losing can bring you a potential super star.
    In the 2014-2015 NHL season, the city of Buffalo’s beloved hockey team, the Sabres, executed the aforementioned tank for the 2015 NHL entry draft. The team ended up with a rising star in Jack Eichel and a potentially brighter future
    The idea of tanking has slowly crept its way into the minds of the hockey world and has now begun its transcendence into the NFL.
    This NFL offseason, as pieces shifted and players joined new teams, momentum for a tank grew as fans of the New York Jets saw their franchise ship out major components of their team. The Jets let go of two starting receivers (Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker), a starting quarterback (Ryan Fitzpatrick) and even key players on the defense but left themselves with a sparse group of mediocre talent. The team was undergoing an overall rebuild and was banking on the next years draft to get them up to speed.
    It’s yet to be seen but the moves made by the Jets management was either a calculated chance taken by the organization to increase the odds of a top pick or sheer incompetence by men who have worked in football the majority of their lives. I’ll let you decide.
    When Buffalo fans saw this occurring and their teams outlook appearing bleak, they thought their team could be doing the same.
    Sure, trading Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby seem like moves for the future but they’re taken out of context.
    Watkins is a player who has been hampered by injuries and has an expiring contract in the offseason. Darby isn’t suited for zone coverage and the Bills management saw him as a weak spot in their secondary.
    Although rational thought processes tend to lack in a watching your favorite team, many expected fans to understand the moves just a bit quicker than they did. Instead, a growing minority of fans have taken it upon themselves to continuously believe the team is tanking. They call every move a move for tanking and think the only thoughts going through Sean McDermott’s and Brandon Beane’s heads are about tanking.
    Herein lies the problem and the disconnect.
    Fans have begun to think that a sports organization is run like a fantasy football or Madden team. The problem is, the franchise doesn’t even think that way nor should they.
    Eric Wood was interviewed on Good Morning Football on Tuesday and was asked to comment on whether or not the team was tanking.

What fans fail to realize is that football is involved in every person’s day-to-day job at One Bills Drive. They get paid for football related activities, whether it’s playing, coaching, or advising. These people have built their lives in football. Why on Earth would they want to fail at what they do?
    Wood again touched on the direction of the team.

Inside the Buffalo Bills organization is incredibly different than the perceived appearance on the outside.
    Buffalo general manager Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott have had to adamantly deny these claims of tanking since they were hired. The two haven’t orchestrated and been a part of a regular season Bills game together and people think they are tanking.
    What Buffalo needs to do now is support the team more than ever and be patient, as hard as that seems. They need to trust the process that’s taking place and believe that good will come. Pretty soon, the playoff drought will be a dista
    Beware of Sarcasm
  • Albany,n.y.
    • Jul 2002

Re: Buffalo's strange obsession with tanking

As a fan, when the season goes bad, I root for a higher draft pick because meaningless wins are ... meaningless, while draft position can make or break a team's future. One need look no further than the 2004 draft when the Bills missed Ben Roethlisberger (who GM Tom Donahoe tried to trade up to get & failed) by 2 picks and then made the ill-fated JP Losman trade which may have cost them Aaron Rodgers. 1 or 2 more losses in 2003 would have changed the franchise for the next 15 years.

Now I don't expect the employees of the team to feel the same way I do, because their jobs are always on the line. They can't afford to lose those extra games. A player whose mistake cost the team a game may find himself out of the league quickly. Look at the Colts year when Manning sat out and they were the worst team in the league-management all got fired and the new guys got to draft Andrew Luck.

There's a difference between being a fan & being a team employee. Team employees have to do their jobs-try to win every game. Fans have the luxury of looking at the bigger picture. Here's the difference between me as a fan and a team employee. I as a fan was here before the person got employed by the Bills & as long as I'm alive, I'll end up being here after they're long gone. It's true of players, coaches, general managers etc. I don't have to root for them to win every game, I want to see a Super Bowl Champion in my lifetime.

Fans who feel they cannot root for a loss when the team is 2-12 are blurring the lines between fan & team employee. You're job isn't on the line with loss 13. Loss 13 might get you the QB who turns the team around. The logical thing for a fan to do in a horrible season is root for losses at the end to get better players. The logical thing for a team employee to do in a horrible season is try to win because the employee may not be employed with that next loss. There's a big difference. Tanking is what fans root for, not what the team does and I'll always be on the fan side rooting for the loss in a meaningless season, because the only way to avoid more meaningless seasons is to get better, and the best way to get better is with better players.
    Last edited by Albany,n.y.; 09-06-2017, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• EDS
      • Jan 2003

Beane and McDermott are making making moves with an eye towards job preservation:

Year One: Have to clean up mess from old regime so no results expected
      Year Two: Look at all the shiny new toys, but rookies need time so no results expected
      Year Three: We see some progress but these kids still need time so no results expected
      Year Four: Might as well keep us through the end of our contracts . . .

Comment

• Bill Cody
        • Sep 2004

I don't like tanking conversations. But if we lose to the Jets at home which I think is very unlikely I reserve the right to change my mind. The Jets might not beat Alabama if they played, that's a 1-3 win team we're talking about. If we can't beat them at home a GPS recalculation is in order.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Wally The Barber View Post
          By now, Buffalo Bills fans have heard on the radio and on the television the word “tanking” more times than they can recount.
          So what exactly is a “tank” and what does “tanking” mean?
          A tank, by loose definition, is a team’s attempt to deliberately put the franchise in a position to lose as many games as possible in order to solidify a top overall pick in the coming year’s draft.
          The tank apparently originated in the NBA recently when poor-performing teams decided that they would rather have a better overall pick than try to salvage an unsalvageable season. Essentially, why try if you aren’t going to win and losing can bring you a potential super star.
          In the 2014-2015 NHL season, the city of Buffalo’s beloved hockey team, the Sabres, executed the aforementioned tank for the 2015 NHL entry draft. The team ended up with a rising star in Jack Eichel and a potentially brighter future
          The idea of tanking has slowly crept its way into the minds of the hockey world and has now begun its transcendence into the NFL.
          This NFL offseason, as pieces shifted and players joined new teams, momentum for a tank grew as fans of the New York Jets saw their franchise ship out major components of their team. The Jets let go of two starting receivers (Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker), a starting quarterback (Ryan Fitzpatrick) and even key players on the defense but left themselves with a sparse group of mediocre talent. The team was undergoing an overall rebuild and was banking on the next years draft to get them up to speed.
          It’s yet to be seen but the moves made by the Jets management was either a calculated chance taken by the organization to increase the odds of a top pick or sheer incompetence by men who have worked in football the majority of their lives. I’ll let you decide.
          When Buffalo fans saw this occurring and their teams outlook appearing bleak, they thought their team could be doing the same.
          Sure, trading Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby seem like moves for the future but they’re taken out of context.
          Watkins is a player who has been hampered by injuries and has an expiring contract in the offseason. Darby isn’t suited for zone coverage and the Bills management saw him as a weak spot in their secondary.
          Although rational thought processes tend to lack in a watching your favorite team, many expected fans to understand the moves just a bit quicker than they did. Instead, a growing minority of fans have taken it upon themselves to continuously believe the team is tanking. They call every move a move for tanking and think the only thoughts going through Sean McDermott’s and Brandon Beane’s heads are about tanking.
          Herein lies the problem and the disconnect.
          Fans have begun to think that a sports organization is run like a fantasy football or Madden team. The problem is, the franchise doesn’t even think that way nor should they.
          Eric Wood was interviewed on Good Morning Football on Tuesday and was asked to comment on whether or not the team was tanking.

What fans fail to realize is that football is involved in every person’s day-to-day job at One Bills Drive. They get paid for football related activities, whether it’s playing, coaching, or advising. These people have built their lives in football. Why on Earth would they want to fail at what they do?
          Wood again touched on the direction of the team.

Inside the Buffalo Bills organization is incredibly different than the perceived appearance on the outside.
          Buffalo general manager Brandon Beane and head coach Sean McDermott have had to adamantly deny these claims of tanking since they were hired. The two haven’t orchestrated and been a part of a regular season Bills game together and people think they are tanking.
          What Buffalo needs to do now is support the team more than ever and be patient, as hard as that seems. They need to trust the process that’s taking place and believe that good will come. Pretty soon, the playoff drought will be a dista
          This is an epic load of crap.

First, if they're such smart football people, it's entirely possible that they realized they had zero chance at succeeding this year with the crappy hand they've been dealt. So if that's the case, the only chance at success is to break it down and start over and there's no reason to wait until the off-season when they could start now and give themselves more opportunity for success next year and beyond.

Second, beying lifelong football people doesn't mean they're actually good at their jobs. The last 17 years of Bills football is all the proof of that you need. whether they did it intentionally to tank or just cuz they're incompetent, recent moves have left the team less talented at the moment in exchange for future considerations.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Luisito23
            Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37 View Post
            This is an epic load of crap.
            "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
            ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
            ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
            ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Thurmal
              • Oct 2005

I pull for them to win, no matter what, even if they're out of the playoff race.

If this team had any history over the past 20 years of competent drafting on a somewhat-consistent basis, I would be all-in for a bad year. Odds are, though, that they'll blow the pick anyway, so I might as well enjoy myself during the actual season.
              "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
                Making Spirits Bright
                • Mar 2006

[jwplayer JMIkYLMx] By now, Buffalo Bills fans have heard on the radio and on the television the word “tanking” more times than they can recount. So what exactly is a “tank”…

Here's a link to the article that Wally pretty much copied word for word and seemed to try to post as his own.

Comment

• Wally The Barber
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                  http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/0...t-has-created/

Here's a link to the article that Wally pretty much copied word for word and seemed to try to post as his own.
                  Blow me, I just didn't post a link..
                  Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Wally The Barber View Post
                    Blow me, I just didn't post a link..
                    Please be more diligent in providing one in the future. Thanks in advance...and blow yourself.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Mace
                      Haha...yeah you think so ?
                      • Mar 2013

Everyone always looks for a magic button to push in desperation, not realizing that the "tank" one is just as likely to simply prolong the misery. It's not where you pick, it's who you pick, and how they fit, into what you use, then how good you are using it.

To me, embracing tanking is grinning while you think to resolve your headache by hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.

Comment

• BLUTO
                        • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Joe Fo Sho View Post
                        http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/0...t-has-created/

That's lousy! Everyone posting should give their own thoughts. Not providing links or quotes is weak!

Comment

• LarryBoy
                          The world needs a hero!
                          • Apr 2003

It'll be ok...tanking worked for the Indians in Major League
                          Bills Rock!

Comment

• Wally The Barber
                            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by YardRat View Post
                            Please be more diligent in providing one in the future. Thanks in advance...and blow yourself.
                            grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
                            Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• Topas
                              German smartass
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Mace View Post
                              Everyone always looks for a magic button to push in desperation, not realizing that the "tank" one is just as likely to simply prolong the misery. It's not where you pick, it's who you pick, and how they fit, into what you use, then how good you are using it.
                              To me, embracing tanking is grinning while you think to resolve your headache by hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.
                              Well, I agree and disagree. On one hand I dont like tanking. First because I dont like loosing. Second, because as you said, it is about who you pick, not when you pick. And third, and this is most important, it might mess up with long term chemistry.

On the other hand. This is a QB league. And you dont have many chances to get a good one. Of course everybody can point to Dak and Russel Wilson and say that these were available. But there are 20 that were also available that are bums. And I am still not sold on Dak. My grandma could play Qb behind this O Line with a competent running game.

So if you want to get a QB (and this is the one and almost only goal) then it is better to draft early. Because there are a few gems later, but these are few and far between. So actually I am sold on the tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X