PDA

View Full Version : Questions & concerns about Peterman at QB

endzone
09-06-2017, 08:41 PM
Has ANYTHING in his pre-season performances or training camp observations made you feel he isn't "the guy" ???? Did Rob Johnson, J.P. Losman, Fitz, Kyle, Tyrod and more over the past seasons make you more comfortable?

Get this kid behind center and quit the BS!

OpIv37
09-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Well let's see- Jeff Tuel had an equally impressive preseason outing. Peterman did it mostly against scrubs. He did it against simplified D's that weren't running blitzes. And to be honest, he wasn't all that great. Better than Tyrod and Yates, yes, but that doesn't make him "the guy."

EDS
09-06-2017, 08:57 PM
He reminds me of Trent Edwards.

Mace
09-06-2017, 09:01 PM
To me he displayed decent progress, jury is still out and should be.

Kid seems to learn and strive. You'll end up seeing him anyway, won't make a diff in a playoff run that's not going to happen. I'm fine with the way this is going, which is, him starting the season as backup.

We'll know soon enough anyway.

Mace
09-06-2017, 09:09 PM

Not to me really. Edwards had a built in trigger guard that made him hesitate (even before the concussion) and didn't really react to the field, that I don't see in Peterman at this point.

I think the thing that encourages me about Peterman (though it doesn't make him The One yet), is that he seems to see the plays, not the tangle of players trying to run them, while our previous "prospects" overloaded at the snap by the players running the plays, if that makes sense.

I suppose I mean Peterman knows enough to look at what he's supposed to even if he's not completely adapted to pace.

He's doing fine, let him keep doing fine until it all clicks at his pace, which seems to be a decent one.

Skooby
09-06-2017, 09:16 PM
Well let's see- Jeff Tuel had an equally impressive preseason outing. Peterman did it mostly against scrubs. He did it against simplified D's that weren't running blitzes. And to be honest, he wasn't all that great. Better than Tyrod and Yates, yes, but that doesn't make him "the guy."
It doesn't make him not the guy, he's like a more pocket passing Drew Brees.

endzone
09-06-2017, 09:28 PM
AGAIN - what didn't he show you so far??

Goobylal
09-06-2017, 09:29 PM

Wrong. He played against the Ravens' starters in game 3 (the "dress rehearsal" for the season) after Tyrod exited midway through the 1st quarter. He didn't lock onto his primary receiver, went through his progressions (when he had more than a second), made the correct read generally, and threw good passes (his receivers dropped 4 of them). He had a near-INT on a dumb throwaway attempt, fumbled when scrambling (but recovered it) when he was running for his life and 4 passes batted down, so it wasn't all great, but he can learn from those things.

HHURRICANE
09-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Tyrod is the starter and it would be nuts to start Peterman.

Mace
09-06-2017, 10:16 PM

Consistent accuracy, reads under pressure, adaptation to pace, dynamic timing, long ball potential, chemistry with anyone besides O'Leary. That's too much for me to assume anything yet.

OpIv37
09-06-2017, 10:16 PM
Wrong. He played against the Ravens' starters in game 3 (the "dress rehearsal" for the season) after Tyrod exited midway through the 1st quarter. He didn't lock onto his primary receiver, went through his progressions (when he had more than a second), made the correct read generally, and threw good passes (his receivers dropped 4 of them). He had a near-INT on a dumb throwaway attempt, fumbled when scrambling (but recovered it) when he was running for his life and 4 passes batted down, so it wasn't all great, but he can learn from those things.
and if it's the dress rehearsal, what makes you think he won't be running for his life and get a bunch of passes batted down again? I was at that game and yes, he looked better than Tyrod before Tyrod got hurt, but he didn't look as great as you're making it sound. And btw, I was surrounded by Ravens fans- including the friend I went with- and it was a mix of starters and backups.

Goobylal
09-06-2017, 11:04 PM
and if it's the dress rehearsal, what makes you think he won't be running for his life and get a bunch of passes batted down again? I was at that game and yes, he looked better than Tyrod before Tyrod got hurt, but he didn't look as great as you're making it sound. And btw, I was surrounded by Ravens fans- including the friend I went with- and it was a mix of starters and backups.

He might be running for his life; that's on the O-line. As for passes better down, again it's something he can learn from and it typically isn't something that quarterbacks suffer a lot from. Even with those, he should've completed 64% of his passes if not for the drops. Again this is a rookie who wasn't even supposed to play until midway through the third quarter. And it was starters with backups who figure to rotate in. Sure he's got a lot to learn. But I'd rather see him out there than Tyrod.

swiper
09-07-2017, 04:10 AM
Has ANYTHING in his pre-season performances or training camp observations made you feel he isn't "the guy" ???? Did Rob Johnson, J.P. Losman, Fitz, Kyle, Tyrod and more over the past seasons make you more comfortable?

LOL. 54% completion percentage against back-ups for $100 Alex?

swiper
09-07-2017, 04:13 AM
He might be running for his life; that's on the O-line. As for passes better down, again it's something he can learn from and it typically isn't something that quarterbacks suffer a lot from. Even with those, he should've completed 64% of his passes if not for the drops. Again this is a rookie who wasn't even supposed to play until midway through the third quarter. And it was starters with backups who figure to rotate in. Sure he's got a lot to learn. But I'd rather see him out there than Tyrod.

You have to be very careful pimping a QB by saying "he should've completed 64%of his passes if not for drops," because you could use that excuse for ANY QB. Drops are part of the game. Peterman not quite as good or ready as some people seem to think. He needs some seasoning at the very least.

jamze132
09-07-2017, 04:31 AM
Tyrod is the starter and it would be nuts to start Peterman.

Agreed. Plus our pass blocking kind of sucks and that could be detrimental to Peterman's development at this point.

YardRat
09-07-2017, 05:45 AM
I didn't see anything in Buffalo's pre-season games or training camp to suggest Joe Webb 'isn't the guy' either.

Turf
09-07-2017, 05:58 AM
We haven't seen if Peterman can read defenses in real life on the fly NFL game planning schemes. If he can, then yes, he could be a Frank Reich type of QB. We won't know until he gets under the fire. He can complete timing passes better than Tyrod.

DraftBoy
09-07-2017, 06:53 AM

The ability to consistently make accurate throws. For every ball he put the appropriate amount of touch on or that he was able to drop into a WR's arms he had another that was thrown behind the WR or just missed the route all together.

He had some really good moments and he has plenty of rookie moments.

Yasgur's Farm
09-07-2017, 07:00 AM
Last preseason, EJ Manual completed over 75% of his passes with several TD's and no INT's... Should he have started? TT had an equally crappy preseason.

Skooby
09-07-2017, 07:04 AM
Last preseason, EJ Manual completed over 75% of his passes with several TD's and no INT's... Should he have started? TT had an equally crappy preseason.

I find it funny that if another person did it, then the next guy will do it too. Isn't every man and player allowed to stand on their own ?? Did you watch any of the pre-season games ?? Nathan looked better all around, very comfortable in the pocket even when our depth allowed him to go relatively unprotected. I don't judge a book by it's cover, I highly suggest those who do ponder the errors of their way.

Yasgur's Farm
09-07-2017, 07:10 AM
I find it funny that if another person did it, then the next guy will do it too. Isn't every man and player allowed to stand on their own ?? Did you watch any of the pre-season games ?? Nathan looked better all around, very comfortable in the pocket even when our depth allowed him to go relatively unprotected. I don't judge a book by it's cover, I highly suggest those who do ponder the errors of their way.Yes Skooby... I watched all of the games. Bottom line is that Peterman, against scrubs and vanilla D's, did not look better than the body of work from TT the last 2 seasons. And I'm obviously not a fan of TT being the long term solution.

Our long term solution at QB will be revealed in the 2018 NFL draft, round 1.

HHURRICANE
09-07-2017, 07:33 AM
I find it funny that if another person did it, then the next guy will do it too. Isn't every man and player allowed to stand on their own ?? Did you watch any of the pre-season games ?? Nathan looked better all around, very comfortable in the pocket even when our depth allowed him to go relatively unprotected. I don't judge a book by it's cover, I highly suggest those who do ponder the errors of their way.

I prefer Peterman's style of play over Tyrod's. He gets the ball out fast and seems to read the defenses well enough that he's picking the right matchups. However, that doesn't mean he's earned the starter role. He's a rookie with some potential. You don't yank a veteran, who the team is behind, for a rookie with some potential.

- - - Updated - - -

I prefer Peterman's style of play over Tyrod's. He gets the ball out fast and seems to read the defenses well enough that he's picking the right matchups. However, that doesn't mean he's earned the starter role. He's a rookie with some potential. You don't yank a veteran, who the team is behind, for a rookie with some potential.

Skooby
09-07-2017, 07:54 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Tyrod is a dead end, it's been like 7 years and the light hasn't come on yet he's a veteran ?? Veteran at not performing is more accurate.

Joe Fo Sho
09-07-2017, 08:09 AM
If we're 1-4 at the bye week, there's no reason to keep Peterman on the bench. The bye week will be a good time to transition for him.

I'm fine with him making rookie mistakes this year, but I think we need to see what he's got in real game scenarios before we go all in next year for a rookie. Peterman showing that he's a franchise QB this year is too good of a scenario for us to not even let him try. It's incredibly unlikely, but we're in a perfect position to try. The only better possible scenario is that Tyrod puts this team on his back and gets us into the playoffs this year with his arm.

Yasgur's Farm
09-07-2017, 08:14 AM
Tyrod is a dead end, it's been like 7 years and the light hasn't come on yet he's a veteran ?? Veteran at not performing is more accurate.I'm gonna hafta bring back the term "nut hugger"

Skooby
09-07-2017, 08:28 AM
I'm gonna hafta bring back the term "nut hugger"

Intimacy for your soul.

Goobylal
09-07-2017, 08:31 AM
You have to be very careful pimping a QB by saying "he should've completed 64%of his passes if not for drops," because you could use that excuse for ANY QB. Drops are part of the game. Peterman not quite as good or ready as some people seem to think. He needs some seasoning at the very least.

Typically they aren't. Not to the tune of 4 of them in a game. And the larger point is that he was making correct reads and getting the ball to his receivers. That they were dropping them is another concern because, well, their job is to catch passes.

As for needing seasoning, I don't think anyone would argue that point. But it's obvious that Tyrod is not the long-term answer and Peterman has potential. Outside of the money they've paid Tyrod, I don't see another reason not to start Peterman and I don't subscribe to the theory that if you rush a QB you can ruin him. Either he's got it or he doesn't. But politics will win out, Tyrod will start, and the offense will struggle to pass the ball. Hopefully the ground game, defense, and ST's can carry the team.

Yes Skooby... I watched all of the games. Bottom line is that Peterman, against scrubs and vanilla D's, did not look better than the body of work from TT the last 2 seasons. And I'm obviously not a fan of TT being the long term solution.

Our long term solution at QB will be revealed in the 2018 NFL draft, round 1.

Peterman, even at this early stage, is already a better passer than Tyrod. The play on which Tyrod was injured was a perfect example of why he'll never be a franchise QB.

As for getting the franchise QB next year, depends on if Peterman gets playing time, how he looks, where the Bills draft and who is coming out and is good. I know it's early, but several of the top prospects looked like **** on opening day of college football.

If money and incumbency weren't an issue, Peterman would be starting over Tyrod. But as I said above, politics will win out.

Bill Cody
09-07-2017, 08:51 AM

EJ was overdrafted and maybe Peterman was underdrafted. So EJ went in with pressure and expectation and started long before he was ready. In the end it probably didn't matter, EJ just wasn't accurate enough. Neither is TT. The clamoring for Peterman is that we're all grasping at straws and Peterman is the Great White Hope. I think Mace has the right take on this, it will all sort out. Peterman will get his chance in due course because Tierod isn't the answer.

But you always want to have a good pass blocking line with a young QB and it sucks that we don't. Someone mentioned Edwards. Once he got concussed he started "seeing" the rush and he was done as any QB would be. Peterman has shown some flashes of what you look for. We'll see. Sorry rambling.

Skooby
09-07-2017, 09:04 AM
Typically they aren't. Not to the tune of 4 of them in a game. And the larger point is that he was making correct reads and getting the ball to his receivers. That they were dropping them is another concern because, well, their job is to catch passes.

As for needing seasoning, I don't think anyone would argue that point. But it's obvious that Tyrod is not the long-term answer and Peterman has potential.

If money and incumbency weren't an issue, Peterman would be starting over Tyrod. But as I said above, politics will win out.
This is where reality hits, field the best team.

justasportsfan
09-07-2017, 11:05 AM

My biggest question is when Pro DC throw him several looks on D that he's never seen before. He was playing vanilla defenses in preseason. At least Tyrod may have seen some of it. We can't asses Peterman if his rookie season is spent on IR.

swiper
09-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Typically they aren't. Not to the tune of 4 of them in a game. .

What? Sure they are. Happens to every team.

swiper
09-07-2017, 12:22 PM
https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/drops/2016/

Joe Fo Sho
09-07-2017, 12:25 PM
What? Sure they are. Happens to every team.

4 drops per game is absurd. The Jets averaged less than 2 last year, and they led the league. The Cowboys had 8 drops all season.

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/team-receiver-drops-percentage/2016/

Goobylal
09-07-2017, 01:28 PM
4 drops per game is absurd. The Jets averaged less than 2 last year, and they led the league. The Cowboys had 8 drops all season.

I'd say a drop per game is right about average. So even if I were to subtract 1 drop and make it 3, that's still a 61% rate.

Another thing is that he didn't have a single pass batted in week 4 which means either the Ravens got lucky or he made adjustments.

Arm of Harm
09-07-2017, 02:23 PM
I looked at Peterman's stats (http://www.nfl.com/player/nathanpeterman/2558191/profile) for the three most recent preseason games, and found the following:

Attempts: 20 + 23 + 11 = 54
Completions: 10 + 11 + 9 = 30
Yards: 167 + 93 + 81 = 331
TDs: 0
INTs: 0
Yards/attempt = 331/54 = 6.1
Completion percentage = 30/54 = 56%

Neither the yards per attempt nor the completion percentage are overly inspiring. Granted, his stats are being unfairly hurt by the fact that his receivers dropped passes at well above the NFL's normal rate. Nevertheless, his yards per attempt of 6.1 is not inspiring, especially considering that Trent Edwards' career average is 6.5; Losman's 6.6. The data support what some in this thread have been saying: Peterman did some things well, but also had some throws which were off-target.

I'm not arguing that anyone should have faith in Tyrod Taylor. We shouldn't, especially not in Dennison's new offense. What I am saying is that in this upcoming draft, the Bills should do whatever it takes to get a franchise QB. Go all-in if necessary. Peterman seems like a good use of a draft pick and a good asset for the team. But the Bills shouldn't allow that to distract them from doing the thing they need to do.

Goobylal
09-07-2017, 03:08 PM
I looked at Peterman's stats (http://www.nfl.com/player/nathanpeterman/2558191/profile) for the three most recent preseason games, and found the following:

Completions: 10 + 11 + 9 = 30
Yards: 167 + 93 + 81 = 331
Yards/attempt = 331/54 = 6.1
Completion percentage = 30/54 = 56%

Neither the yards per attempt nor the completion percentage are overly inspiring. Granted, his stats are being unfairly hurt by the fact that his receivers dropped passes at well above the NFL's normal rate. Nevertheless, his yards per attempt of 6.1 is not inspiring, especially considering that Trent Edwards' career average is 6.5; Losman's 6.6. The data support what some in this thread have been saying: Peterman did some things well, but also had some throws which were off-target.

I'm not arguing that anyone should have faith in Tyrod Taylor. We shouldn't, especially not in Dennison's new offense. What I am saying is that in this upcoming draft, the Bills should do whatever it takes to get a franchise QB. Go all-in if necessary. Peterman seems like a good use of a draft pick and a good asset for the team. But the Bills shouldn't allow that to distract them from doing the thing they need to do.

Drops subtract potential yardage from the YPA equation. One site said his receivers dropped 7 passes. At even just 7 yards per potential reception, that pushes his YPA over 7.0. There was also the long, perfect TD strike to Zay Jones where he failed to get his 2nd foot down which I don't believe was counted as a drop. And more telling, in the 4th game where his receivers caught every well-thrown ball, he completed 81.8% of his passes for 7.4 YPA.

kingJofNYC
09-07-2017, 03:44 PM
He wasn't very good under pressure, made bad decisions and inaccurate throws. Ironically Tyrod graded out as one of the better QBs under pressure last season.

Other concern is throwing outside the numbers. He only threw 12 pass covering the short side to the outside numbers opposite the short side hash. Only completed 3 passes, with 2 deflections. Coaches were cognizant of something, so they kept it manageable. If defenses pick up that he can't throw to the wide numbers they'll cheat inside more.

Arm of Harm
09-07-2017, 03:52 PM
Drops subtract potential yardage from the YPA equation. One site said his receivers dropped 7 passes. At even just 7 yards per potential reception, that pushes his YPA over 7.0. There was also the long, perfect TD strike to Zay Jones where he failed to get his 2nd foot down which I don't believe was counted as a drop. And more telling, in the 4th game where his receivers caught every well-thrown ball, he completed 81.8% of his passes for 7.4 YPA.

I didn't realize it was 7 dropped passes. You're right: that affects the data.

So I'll do a little more math.

Last season, Tyrod Taylor had 436 pass attempts (http://www.nfl.com/player/tyrodtaylor/2495240/profile). The Bills had 14 drops last season, for a rate of 436/14 = one drop every 31 pass attempts. With 54 pass attempts in the final three games of the preseason, Peterman should have had 2 drops, to be consistent with the Bills' drop percentage from last season. Seven dropped passes represents five drops above normal. So you give him credit for those five drops.

That results in the following, modified numbers:

Completions: 10 + 11 + 9 + 5 [modified]= 35
Yards/completion: 331/30 = 11
Yards: 167 + 93 + 81 + 55 [modified] = 386
Yards/attempt = 386/54 = 7.1
Completion percentage = 35/54 = 64%

These new numbers look a lot better.

YardRat
09-07-2017, 05:01 PM
I'm gonna hafta bring back the term "nut hugger"

Why, when the term PeterMan, or PeterMen, is right there hanging low?

Night Train
09-07-2017, 05:18 PM
Quick, let's ruin him in a non-playoff year !

Mace
09-07-2017, 05:32 PM
I didn't see anything in Buffalo's pre-season games or training camp to suggest Joe Webb 'isn't the guy' either.

Wow ! I never thought of that ! You could be onto something...

swiper
09-07-2017, 05:54 PM

You don't know how to read statistics very well. Go back to *****-fighting with ICRockets. At least you're good at that.

BertSquirtgum
09-07-2017, 06:01 PM
No

BLUTO
09-07-2017, 06:41 PM
This is where reality hits, field the best team.
I think this coaching staff will do that! Tyrod has a short leash!!!!

Bill Cody
09-07-2017, 09:37 PM
Quick, let's ruin him in a non-playoff year !

Is there another kind?

Yasgur's Farm
09-09-2017, 07:00 AM
Why, when the term PeterMan, or PeterMen, is right there hanging low?That's good yardie... Peter hugger it is. And the 1st member of the club is... skooby.

kishoph
09-09-2017, 07:54 AM
Question - When will Peterman start ?
Concerns - It won't be soon enough.