PDA

View Full Version : All Eyes on QB. What about the defense?

ghz in pittsburgh
09-07-2017, 02:30 PM
If McDermott is running the same D as he did in Carolina, some pass catching RBs and TEs are going to catch and run all day on us.

Maybe Preston Brown morphed into Kuechly secretly. He did had a good rookie season under Schwartz, but Schwartz does not run nearly as much zone as McDermott, which means Brown did not have as much responsibility as he will now.

Linebackers are certainly a liability. The pre-season has everyone run standard, non-game planned version offense which hides our D weakness. I think we'll find out soon enough that the D is not as stout as we perceive to be.

Homegrown
09-07-2017, 02:32 PM
Maybe Preston Brown morphed into Kuechly secretly.

kinda like when Michael Jackson became white ... those were good times

Ed
09-07-2017, 03:39 PM
I don't think anyone believes this defense is going to be stout this year. I'm expecting them to be pretty mediocre, and as soon as the DL and/or secondary start getting hit with injuries this D could be pretty bad.

EDS
09-07-2017, 03:42 PM
I see the front four as the only above average unit on the defense. The LB and DB units are below average.

Oaf
09-07-2017, 03:47 PM
Matt Milano will be the second-coming of Keith Ellison.

Wally The Barber
09-07-2017, 03:49 PM
Around the NFL
Browns releasing safety Calvin Pryor after fight

<tbody>

<tbody>

http://i.nflcdn.com/static/site/7.5/img/share-bar/facebook_icon.svg

</tbody>

<tbody>

http://i.nflcdn.com/static/site/7.5/img/share-bar/twitter_icon.svg

</tbody>

<tbody>

http://i.nflcdn.com/static/site/7.5/img/share-bar/email_icon.svg

</tbody>

</tbody>

justasportsfan
09-07-2017, 04:03 PM
I don't think anyone believes this defense is going to be stout this year. I'm expecting them to be pretty mediocre, and as soon as the DL and/or secondary start getting hit with injuries this D could be pretty bad.

Then we hired the wrong guy who hired the wrong DC. Schwartz improved this D at no time at all.

YardRat
09-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Gonna be bend but don't break. I don't think they will be as dominant as they became under Schwartz, but I expect them to be pretty good limiting points going up on the scoreboard.

Luisito23
09-07-2017, 04:45 PM
some pass catching RBs and TEs are going to catch and run all day on us.

So, what else is new?

Mace
09-07-2017, 05:58 PM
Gonna be bend but don't break. I don't think they will be as dominant as they became under Schwartz, but I expect them to be pretty good limiting points going up on the scoreboard.

Might be the theory, not too sure how it works in practice but looking forward to finding out.

Also not expecting so much a McDermott defense. He hired Frazier as DC, with a couple Frazier philosophy assistants at DB and LB, didn't hire a McDermott guy, so I'm expecting something a little different from either.

justasportsfan
09-07-2017, 06:10 PM
We're building a bully !!!!!!!!!

swiper
09-07-2017, 06:23 PM
We're building a bully !!!!!!!!!

In case you hadn't heard, Rex is gone. That was his mantra.

Ed
09-07-2017, 09:38 PM
Then we hired the wrong guy who hired the wrong DC. Schwartz improved this D at no time at all.
That's because the D was already good and had a lot of talent. That was also three years ago. It's time to move on.

Kyle Williams was three years younger and in his prime.
Dareus was motivated and playing for a new monster deal. (He got it and has since not given a ****.)
Mario Williams played like the all-pro he was paid to be.
Jerry Hughes was also playing for a new deal.
Our LB's were legit. Now they're not.
The entire secondary has new players from top to bottom.

I like McDermott and his D, but we don't have the same talent anymore.

OpIv37
09-07-2017, 09:40 PM
As I've said before, the DL will have their moments. The back 7 is awful. The DL can cover for that to a point, but it'll only go so far.

jimmifli
09-08-2017, 07:04 PM
Zone with pressure from a four man rush is always successful. I expect the D to be very good.

swiper
09-08-2017, 07:08 PM
Zone with pressure from a four man rush is always successful. I expect the D to be very good.

It works if you know when and where to sprinkle in blitzes to keep the offense off-guard. I think this coaching staff is smart enough to do that well.

sudzy
09-09-2017, 05:14 AM
The defense looked good vs the run in the preseason. But, I expect a tough year on defense. A lot of square pegs trying to fit in round holes. They went from polar opposite defenses, when they went from Rex's blitz crazed 3-4 to a Tampa-2ish 4-3. I don't think they have one starting LB that is a good fit for this defense. Kyle is at the end of his playing days and Marcell could give a .... And the Bills are paper thin at DB.