PDA

View Full Version : How long is Tyrod's leash ?

BLUTO
09-09-2017, 09:09 PM
I hope TT comes out throwing and running leading the Bills to a nice victory over the Jets. I think that would be best for the team.

BUT, if doesn't work out that way into the 2nd half will the coaches make a change to Peterman? Does beating the Jets mean that much over a 16 game season? IMO Tyrod plays the entire game even if the game goes poorly for the Bills.

Comments!

Mad Max
09-09-2017, 09:33 PM
I hope TT comes out throwing and running leading the Bills to a nice victory over the Jets. I think that would be best for the team.

BUT, if doesn't work out that way into the 2nd half will the coaches make a change to Peterman? Does beating the Jets mean that much over a 16 game season? IMO Tyrod plays the entire game even if the game goes poorly for the Bills.

Comments!

The only way Tyrod gets replaced by Peterman tomorrow is if Tyrod gets injured. They're not starting a QB controversy in game 1.

Down the road a few games...different story.

El Guapo
09-09-2017, 11:05 PM
I agree. TT plays for this and the foreseeable games.

YardRat
09-09-2017, 11:06 PM
Yeah he isn't getting pulled tomorrow. Hopefully it's not necessary to even consider it.

ublinkwescore
09-10-2017, 10:17 AM
4 losses in 6 weeks

ublinkwescore
09-10-2017, 10:28 AM
We will see Peterman start games this season.

Skooby
09-10-2017, 01:11 PM
Halftime I hope.

YardRat
09-10-2017, 01:20 PM
I'm sorry, but Taylor is holding this offense back.

Novacane
09-10-2017, 01:26 PM
He's average at best. The sooner he has a minor injury the better.

YardRat
09-10-2017, 01:44 PM
Longer than Savage's in Houston.

Skooby
09-10-2017, 03:00 PM
I'm sorry, but Taylor is holding this offense back.

He's simply aweful, no idea why he's even playing.

PuntKicker
09-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Interestingly, but not surprisingly, the CBS studio post game guys all said the opposite of you guys. They said he does what the coaches ask him to do. I'm guessing you'll say all those football guys are wrong? I'm not a fan of Taylor's, but it's weird reading such diametrically opposing opinions.

swiper
09-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Awful. Skooby. There is no "e" in awful. Your selling is awful. Maybe you lost your dictionary in the Range Rover.

Kenny
09-10-2017, 04:40 PM
TT looked fine today. Is he elite or a franchise QB? no, but we all knew that. But guess what? We dont have a Brees or Brady in our lineup. And we're nowhere nearly as bad as some other teams in the league so kiss that #1 pick dream for you idiots who want to tank the season.

He's good enough to win some games, and is delivering what we all expected... likely another season similar to last years. If our defense can step up, who knows? we might be in contention for a wildcard. At this point I dont give a flying **** about any superbowl, let's just get the monkey off our back first.

ublinkwescore
09-10-2017, 04:55 PM
Taylor needs to trust his receivers. Target them more.

justasportsfan
09-10-2017, 05:42 PM
No he wasn't. He wasn't elite but he wasn't awful. You can't call a spade a spade can you?

kgun12
09-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Interestingly, but not surprisingly, the CBS studio post game guys all said the opposite of you guys. They said he does what the coaches ask him to do. I'm guessing you'll say all those football guys are wrong? I'm not a fan of Taylor's, but it's weird reading such diametrically opposing opinions.

Well you will see if you stick around, there are guys on this site know way more then any expert that played or coached in the NFL! :chuckle:

Skooby
09-10-2017, 06:16 PM
No he wasn't. He wasn't elite but he wasn't awful. You can't call a spade a spade can you?
We have a running QB in a scheme that requires a pocket passer that throws to his Wide Receivers. Yeah, we won the game but no thanks to Tyrod. We have other players that can catch the ball, he couldn't find them.

Mr. Cynical
09-10-2017, 06:21 PM
We have a running QB in a scheme that requires a pocket passer that throws to his Wide Receivers. Yeah, we won the game but no thanks to Tyrod. We have other players that can catch the ball, he couldn't find them.
Yep. So many times he just doesn't / can't throw into space, so he waits for the receiver to get open, and then by that time his pocket has collapsed and he has to run. He has all the vision of Mr. Magoo. They really need to put Peterson in and see what he has. Winning a few games here and there with TT is just kicking the can.

Arm of Harm
09-10-2017, 06:50 PM
A lot of what we saw today is reminiscent of what we've seen the last couple years. Tyrod had 28 passing attempts. Buffalo's non-QBs had 34 rushing attempts, and Tyrod himself had an additional 8 rushing attempts. So you're looking at 42 rushing plays compared to just 28 pass plays. Tyrod's average yards per pass attempt was good. But his total passing yardage for the game was just 224, due to few pass attempts. Our ratio was 40% pass, 60% run.

Bottom line: we once again appear to have an offense which lives and dies on the running game. A West Coast offense is supposed to be pass-oriented. We'll see if we end up with an offense like that down the road.

Mr. Cynical
09-10-2017, 07:18 PM
Bottom line: we once again appear to have an offense which lives and dies on the running game. A West Coast offense is supposed to be pass-oriented. We'll see if we end up with an offense like that down the road.
Yep. And guaranteed we would have that if Peterson were playing. We saw it already in the preseason. Not saying he is the answer by *any* means, in fact more likely he is not. But just as we have seen over the last 17 years, we try to fit a square peg into a round hole and jam it until it splinters just enough to fit in half way, and end up with a 7-9 season. Sigh.

Skooby
09-10-2017, 09:22 PM
Yep. And guaranteed we would have that if Peterson were playing. We saw it already in the preseason. Not saying he is the answer by *any* means, in fact more likely he is not. But just as we have seen over the last 17 years, we try to fit a square peg into a round hole and jam it until it splinters just enough to fit in half way, and end up with a 7-9 season. Sigh.

That'll keep us drafting high-motor guys who aren't healthy.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-10-2017, 10:14 PM

Comments!

I think we will have plenty of answers about Tyrod's future and the direction of this franchise (along with even more questions) after these next four games. Carolina, Atlanta, Denver, and Cincy will tell us a lot of what we need to know. Atlanta is the defending NFC champion, Carolina is always formidable, Denver's D can give anyone headaches, and Cincy is a perennial playoff pretender. We go 2-2 or better and Tyrod plays decently, I think this season might not be a wash. If we go 1-3 or worse you gotta think about Peterman.

stuckincincy
09-10-2017, 10:36 PM
I think we will have plenty of answers about Tyrod's future and the direction of this franchise (along with even more questions) after these next four games. Carolina, Atlanta, Denver, and Cincy will tell us a lot of what we need to know. Atlanta is the defending NFC champion, Carolina is always formidable, Denver's D can give anyone headaches, and Cincy is a perennial playoff pretender. We go 2-2 or better and Tyrod plays decently, I think this season might not be a wash. If we go 1-3 or worse you gotta think about Peterman.

Cincy is dead meat.

ICRockets
09-11-2017, 04:48 AM

I'm not sure it's wise to go by record on this. The key is going to be in how Tyrod develops as he grows more comfortable with this offense. There's clearly a lot of room for growth based off today's performance.

I was pleased with how often he utilized the middle of the field, considering that's been a knock on him in the past. But there's still some obvious areas of improvement in his field vision, which it's too early in the season to say is a skill set issue and not a scheme awareness issue.

I think the key play we should watch to see the evolution of is that one where both O'Leary and Clay were wide open over the middle and Tyrod hit O'Leary for the shallow completion instead of Clay for the deep one that probably would have been a touchdown. If Tyrod's able to see that in film study and adapt in future games, then he could be our guy. Otherwise, that kind of missed opportunity will hurt us against superior competition.

Still, it's hard to argue that he made a few big plays with his feet. Converted a couple 3rd downs, one on a designed rollout and one on a scramble. The importance of those plays can't be overlooked.

Right now, my gut is telling me Tyrod's probably not the guy, but that somebody with his mobility and superior passing ability could be. That's why right now my top QB target in the draft, if he declares, is going to be Lamar Jackson. A lot can change still, and I'm not opposed to a Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen, but LJ is my guy for the time being.

YardRat
09-11-2017, 05:56 AM
Tyrod is the poster boy for the 21st century Bills...good enough to be 'ok', not horrible, but not nearly good enough to make the playoffs. Mediocre.

Taylor is going to make a couple of plays with his feet that make everybody go 'WOW!'. He's going to make a couple of 'great' plays with his arm, hitting a receiver downfield after eluding a sack, rolling out, etc. He's going to make a couple of solid throws that one would expect a pocket QB to make. Six plays out of 36 'touches' isn't good enough, and we've seen this same performance for the last two seasons already and know the results.

That's not even going into the impact that TT's mediocrity has on the rest of the offense's performance.

Shady and Tolbert had 34 carries for 152 yards...4.47 yard average. NICE! Unfortunately, 6 of those carries accounted for 110 yards...the other 28 carries 42 yards...1.5 yard average on 82% of the RB rushing attempts. Sure, there are going to be the occasional big pops for big yards that make you go 'ooooh', but the bottom line is even a ****ty team like the Jets can stack the box against Shady because they are not afraid of Taylor throwing the ball and effectively shut down the run. Better teams, better defenses, aren't going to have 6 break downs for that much yardage in a game, and that means less points on the board for Buffalo.

In Taylor's two years here fans have hung their hat on Buffalo's rushing game, but those stats have been at least slightly deceptive, skewed by big plays as above and also TT's contribution to the total. The difference between a 'shady' 5 yard average inflated by exceptions and a 'legitimate' 4 yard average that is the rule for a team is the difference between winning just enough games to be mediocre and actually performing at a level that gets you to the playoffs.

ticatfan
09-11-2017, 08:24 AM
No he wasn't. He wasn't elite but he wasn't awful. You can't call a spade a spade can you?Give the kid sometime. Changing QB's every game goes nowhere. He will work out. Running QB's are the way to go.

ICRockets
09-11-2017, 08:32 AM
Tyrod is the poster boy for the 21st century Bills...good enough to be 'ok', not horrible, but not nearly good enough to make the playoffs. Mediocre.

Taylor is going to make a couple of plays with his feet that make everybody go 'WOW!'. He's going to make a couple of 'great' plays with his arm, hitting a receiver downfield after eluding a sack, rolling out, etc. He's going to make a couple of solid throws that one would expect a pocket QB to make. Six plays out of 36 'touches' isn't good enough, and we've seen this same performance for the last two seasons already and know the results.

That's not even going into the impact that TT's mediocrity has on the rest of the offense's performance.

Shady and Tolbert had 34 carries for 152 yards...4.47 yard average. NICE! Unfortunately, 6 of those carries accounted for 110 yards...the other 28 carries 42 yards...1.5 yard average on 82% of the RB rushing attempts. Sure, there are going to be the occasional big pops for big yards that make you go 'ooooh', but the bottom line is even a ****ty team like the Jets can stack the box against Shady because they are not afraid of Taylor throwing the ball and effectively shut down the run. Better teams, better defenses, aren't going to have 6 break downs for that much yardage in a game, and that means less points on the board for Buffalo.

In Taylor's two years here fans have hung their hat on Buffalo's rushing game, but those stats have been at least slightly deceptive, skewed by big plays as above and also TT's contribution to the total. The difference between a 'shady' 5 yard average inflated by exceptions and a 'legitimate' 4 yard average that is the rule for a team is the difference between winning just enough games to be mediocre and actually performing at a level that gets you to the playoffs.

What you're saying about our running game SOUNDS reasonable, but how much have you looked into other running backs to come to the conclusion that they have a more "legitimate" yards per rush average?

Skooby
09-11-2017, 09:32 AM
What you're saying about our running game SOUNDS reasonable, but how much have you looked into other running backs to come to the conclusion that they have a more "legitimate" yards per rush average?

How about his Tyrod conclusion ?? You onboard with the Bills continuing this joke ?

ICRockets
09-11-2017, 09:48 AM
How about his Tyrod conclusion ?? You onboard with the Bills continuing this joke ?

Are you aware that post #25 exists?

Night Train
09-11-2017, 06:24 PM
The running game is setting up the play action to the TE's perfectly. Jets brought the safties up on the WR's almost all game. The TE's and RB's were Taylors only options. His limitations are there but he did find the right guys to throw to more often than I thought he would.

kgun12
09-11-2017, 06:31 PM
A lot of what we saw today is reminiscent of what we've seen the last couple years. Tyrod had 28 passing attempts. Buffalo's non-QBs had 34 rushing attempts, and Tyrod himself had an additional 8 rushing attempts. So you're looking at 42 rushing plays compared to just 28 pass plays. Tyrod's average yards per pass attempt was good. But his total passing yardage for the game was just 224, due to few pass attempts. Our ratio was 40% pass, 60% run.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/new-york-jets-buffalo-bills-20170910002/

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/new-york-giants-dallas-cowboys-20170910006/

Funny Dak Prescott and TT's numbers look pretty similar, maybe it's a difference in total talent? Complain about him all you want, if the defense would have played better last year

this team makes the playoffs with TT.

YardRat
09-11-2017, 06:43 PM

The paper is going through the peer review process at the moment and is slated for publication in National Geographic before the end of the year. Still trying to convince the editors a couple pictures of the stadium 'natives' with bare boobies would add a little something, but it's a tough sell so far.

Kenny
09-11-2017, 06:46 PM

We got swept last year by the Dolphins and Jets. Lost games against the Seahawks and Raiders. Tyrod might not have been lights out in those games, but he wasn't the main reason we lost. The offense in each of those games put enough points to win... our defense just stunk.

So when you say that Tyrod isn't good enough to make the playoffs I 100% disagree. He's not good enough to put a bad team on his shoulder and carry the team, but unless you're Brady, Rodgers, or Brees, no QB is going to do that. Shore up the defense, keep the offence doing its thing, and we're good enough to get the monkey off our back.

YardRat
09-11-2017, 06:55 PM
Shoring up the QB can make the rest of the offense, and defense actually, look better.

I respect the differences of opinion, but I'm pretty comfortable with my conclusions based on observations over the last two-plus seasons.

kgun12
09-11-2017, 07:25 PM
Shoring up the QB can make the rest of the offense, and defense actually, look better.

I respect the differences of opinion, but I'm pretty comfortable with my conclusions based on observations over the last two-plus seasons.

With that reasoning, Kelly and Marino should have won 10-12 Super Bowl between them.

YardRat
09-11-2017, 07:38 PM
Taylor had 4 completions total to WR's yesterday. 20 of the 26 teams that have played so far had a single WR catch at least 4 passes...half of those had 2. Of the other 5 that didn't were such juggernauts as Chicago, Indy w/o Luck, Jacksonville, Carolina and Baltimore with <100% healthy QB's. That's a pretty low bar.

YardRat
09-11-2017, 07:41 PM
With that reasoning, Kelly and Marino should have won 10-12 Super Bowl between them.

No, with that reasoning neither team would have made it to a Super Bowl without those guys...I think that's a reasonable assumption.

Arm of Harm
09-11-2017, 08:47 PM

Funny Dak Prescott and TT's numbers look pretty similar, maybe it's a difference in total talent? Complain about him all you want, if the defense would have played better last year

To me those numbers didn't look similar. Why not? Because Tyrod had 28 pass attempts, compared to 39 for Dak Prescott. Thus far, Taylor's successes have come due to carefully limiting his number of pass attempts in order to focus on the running game.

Last season, Dak Prescott threw for 3667 yards. The most yards Tyrod has ever thrown for was 3035. The reason for the disparity is because Prescott threw the ball more times, not because Tyrod's YPA in his best year was any less than Prescott's was last season.

kishoph
09-12-2017, 01:44 PM

IMO the best stats to look at are the next gen stats. For QB's they'll show you air yards, time to throw, how aggressive the QB was, what he did on 3rd down passes, plus the usual stats. They also have charts of all the throws. Next gen gives you a better picture of the performance than the old stat line.

Arm of Harm
09-13-2017, 07:01 PM
IMO the best stats to look at are the next gen stats. For QB's they'll show you air yards, time to throw, how aggressive the QB was, what he did on 3rd down passes, plus the usual stats. They also have charts of all the throws. Next gen gives you a better picture of the performance than the old stat line.

I went to that site, hoping to find air yards per attempt. Unfortunately, they don't appear to list that stat. They did, however, list air yards per completion (https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-intended-yards). Which for Tyrod Taylor was 5.9. Taylor was 16/28, for a completion percentage of 57%. This means his air yards per attempt for the game was 3.37.

I wasable to find air yards per attempt stats (https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2016/) for 2016. Tyrod's 3.37 against the Jets was a step down from what he averaged last year, when his air yards per attempt was 4.29. So why did Tyrod's overall yards per attempt against the Jets look good?

There was a short yardage pass to Jordan Matthews, which resulted in a 60+ total gain. Over 60 YAC yards on that catch. The YAC yards on that one play accounted for over a quarter of Tyrod's overall passing yards against the Jets. Had Matthews been tackled immediately after making the catch, Tyrod's yardage for the day would have been 164, with a disappointing 5.9 yards per pass attempt. A significantly worse yards per pass attempt than the career average for either Losman (6.6) or Edwards (6.5).

To make a long story short: the 60+ YAC yards Matthews generated on that single passing play helped cover a lot of Tyrod's shortcomings.

Nice avatar, by the way.

kishoph
09-14-2017, 04:39 AM
Nice avatar, by the way.

Thanks, that pic is my cat Tommy and his game face from around 7-8 years ago. He weighs 23 lbs now, so he pretty much would need a full size helmet to fit on his fat head.

Check under IAY (intended air yds).

YardRat
09-14-2017, 05:51 AM
Your information on the Matthews catch is off by 20 yards. Caught at the Buffalo 43...tackled at the Jet 17...47 yard gain with 40 YAC.

Arm of Harm
09-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Thanks, that pic is my cat Tommy and his game face from around 7-8 years ago. He weighs 23 lbs now, so he pretty much would need a full size helmet to fit on his fat head.

My understanding of intended air yards is this. Let's say a QB throws the ball to a target 20 yards downfield, but the pass falls incomplete. His intended air yards for that play was 20. But his actual air yards for that attempt was zero, because there were no actual air yards gained.

Note that Tom Brady's intended air yards (IAY) against the Chiefs was 16.1. Also note that in 2016, nobody did better (https://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/quarterback-air-yards/2016/) than 6.5 air yards per attempt. If intended air yards per attempt and air yards per attempt were the same thing, then Tom Brady's performance against the Chiefs was absolutely phenomenal. Two and a half times better, per attempt, than anyone (including him) had achieved in 2016.

Also, Brady went 16/36, for 267 yards against the Chiefs. That's 7.4 total yards per attempt. Air yards per attempt is supposed to be less than total yards per attempt. Which means that Brady's air yards per attempt for the game was most likely equal to or less than 7.4. If his intended air yards (IAY) for the game was 16.1, which it was, then IAY cannot possibly mean air yards per attempt.

Skooby
09-14-2017, 04:24 PM

Heed, Pants naaoww.

BLUTO
09-18-2017, 09:45 PM
OK - TT got through week #1. After the Panthers game is the leash shorter or the collar tighter???

Skooby
09-19-2017, 07:31 AM
OK - TT got through week #1. After the Panthers game is the leash shorter or the collar tighter???
How many 125 yard passing performances keep you in the starter's role ??

kishoph
09-19-2017, 07:54 AM
How many 125 yard passing performances keep you in the starter's role ??

Well he had 3 sub 125 yd. performances last season, so I guess he has at least 2 more to give.

Joe Fo Sho
09-19-2017, 08:35 AM
Well he had 3 sub 125 yd. performances last season, so I guess he has at least 2 more to give.

Tyrod's current pace is to have 125 yards or less once every 6 games. He also has more games where he's thrown for under 200 yards than games where he's thrown for over 200 yards (16 to 15). Tyrod's stat line from yesterday was nothing new, I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised.