PDA

View Full Version : Marcel Dareus

DynaPaul
09-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Man he really came to play today and tore it up on the stat sheet! Worth every penny of the $96M.

PuntKicker
09-10-2017, 03:22 PM
Man he really came to play today and tore it up on the stat sheet! Worth every penny of the $96M.

I hear you on that. I'm just grateful the Bills could have a nice win on a day when he didnt seem to show up, even if it is the Jets. Remember, there were questions of health with him leading up to the game.

DynaPaul
09-10-2017, 03:25 PM
Buffalo Bills defensive lineman Marcell Dareus is on a short leash this year (https://sports.yahoo.com/news/buffalo-bills-defensive-lineman-marcell-130055221.html)

I think it just got shorter, today was not a good day to make a case that he's with the program.

MattyNH
09-10-2017, 03:35 PM
I dont see his name on the stat sheet,

Ed
09-10-2017, 03:36 PM
Dareus played like the dominant All-Pro everyone thought he could be in 2014 and then cashed in on a monster deal. The Bills have had buyer's remorse ever since as Dareus has proved he doesn't really care about football. Hopefully he finds some kind of passion for the game this season because the Bills are stuck with him until 2019. They're not going to take a $23 mil dead cap hit to cut him after this year. That would make no sense. They'll ride it out and hope they can find a way to motivate him until they can cut bait in 2019 for "only" an $8 mil dead cap hit.

DynaPaul
09-10-2017, 03:38 PM
I dont see his name on the stat sheet,

Exactly!

swiper
09-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Fat Alabama players are lazy. Ask Dareus. Ask Kuoandijo. And, though less fat, Ragland. They are worse after they cash in.

sudzy
09-10-2017, 04:08 PM
As soon as they can afford to trade him they will. Get rid of all the cancers.

Albany,n.y.
09-10-2017, 04:14 PM
Years ago Doug Flutie was pictured on a cereal box. Now we have Marcel Darius pictured on a milk carton.

jamze132
09-10-2017, 04:18 PM
Didn't see much from the e tire D line today. Didn't do a lot of blitzing. Not very aggressive.

PuntKicker
09-10-2017, 04:19 PM
Years ago Doug Flutie was pictured on a cereal box. Now we have Marcel Darius pictured on a milk carton.

It must be a super sized milk carton. Being you pour milk into cereal, they should do one of those Conan Obrien things that show what it'd look like if celebrities had a baby together.

God Father
09-10-2017, 04:27 PM
Didn't see much from the e tire D line today. Didn't do a lot of blitzing. Not very aggressive.

Yeah but the ball was getting out fast. Opposing offenses are going to do a ton of 3 step drop backs against us this year. I felt we stopped the run really well today.

jimmifli
09-10-2017, 04:43 PM
We got pressure with 4 and stuffed the run. As a unit they kicked the crap out of the JETE O-line. Maybe he did't dominate but he didn't play badly or my first sentence wouldn't be true.

DraftBoy
09-10-2017, 04:58 PM
McDermott was subbing Dareus out on 3rd down and passing situations a lot to get an extra DE in. Not sure if that's a statement about Dareus or a scheme thing that we will do now.

MattyNH
09-10-2017, 05:38 PM
We will never see what he could have been. Move on as soon as you have a chance

MattyNH
09-10-2017, 05:40 PM
We got pressure with 4 and stuffed the run. As a unit they kicked the crap out of the JETE O-line. Maybe he did't dominate but he didn't play badly or my first sentence wouldn't be true.

I did not see much pressure til the fourth quarter a couple times. Front four pass rush was the weakness today.

YardRat
09-10-2017, 07:57 PM
Yeah, the rest of the d-linemen certainly showed him up :rolleyes:

endzone
09-10-2017, 08:08 PM
I did not see much pressure til the fourth quarter a couple times. Front four pass rush was the weakness today.

I agree! The front 4 rush was awful and Shaq appears to less than a #1 pick. Until we blitzed in the 4th qtr McCowan looked like a YOUNG Brady!!

yordad
09-10-2017, 10:18 PM
The front was aweful? Wtf. We gave up like 37 yards rushing.

ublinkwescore
09-10-2017, 10:57 PM
And we are currently the 9th rated pass defense of all the team's that have played... too bad miami has to wait until next week for their first game.

SpikedLemonade
09-11-2017, 03:59 AM
I truly hate Marcel Dareus.

Ed
09-11-2017, 10:09 AM
Yeah, the rest of the d-linemen certainly showed him up :rolleyes:
Fair enough, but if you're a DT making QB money you can't be invisible for the whole game. Dareus needs to show up and be the best player on the defense.

daryls61
09-11-2017, 10:35 AM
He can be so good but I wonder how much he really loves football.

justasportsfan
09-11-2017, 10:49 AM
I didn't see him drop back to cover a receiver so we're ok for now.

Arm of Harm
09-11-2017, 11:01 AM
I looked up Dareus's contract (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/marcell-dareus-7718/). If the Bills cut him after the season, it's a $22.2 million cap hit. But if they keep him, it's a $16.6 million cap hit. So you're losing $5.6 million in cap space by cutting him as opposed to keeping him. So you take that one time hit at $5.6 million, and then after that he's off the books for good. It's an option well worth considering, especially if he fails to produce in the upcoming 15 games.

swiper
09-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Trade him to Dallas for La'el Collins. Please.

DraftBoy
09-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Frazier confirms that Dareus was not in a limited role and that he gave them what they wanted. Tells me the move to take him out on 3rd and passing is a scheme decision.

Ed
09-11-2017, 03:21 PM
Frazier confirms that Dareus was not in a limited role and that he gave them what they wanted. Tells me the move to take him out on 3rd and passing is a scheme decision.
That seems kind of odd considering he was a good pass rusher and got 10 sacks in Schwartz' 4-3 scheme. Even if he's not as motivated as he was back in 2014, I don't see any other D-lineman on the team better suited for 3rd downs.

tomz
09-11-2017, 03:31 PM
It looked to me like they had more D ends in there on third down, even in the DT position. Also, Dareus was clearly clogging the middle with others coming from the end position. He had a number of plays where he collapsed the line toward the RB and a hit or two in there even if it didn't show in the stats. They threw quick passes all day. From the middle, sacks come on slow developing plays most of the time. I don't get all the whining.

YardRat
09-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Fair enough, but if you're a DT making QB money you can't be invisible for the whole game. Dareus needs to show up and be the best player on the defense.

Considering how successfully they stuffed the run I really doubt he was 'invisible' regardless of any statistics. You know damn well the Jets that lined up against him could see him.

kishoph
09-11-2017, 04:57 PM
I didn't see him drop back to cover a receiver so we're ok for now.

Until I seen the replay on the McCown 1 yd. TD, I thought Dareus did drop back he was so deep in the endzone (he got blown up).

Night Train
09-11-2017, 04:57 PM
I don't get all the whining.

Yes you do.

DraftBoy
09-11-2017, 05:04 PM
That seems kind of odd considering he was a good pass rusher and got 10 sacks in Schwartz' 4-3 scheme. Even if he's not as motivated as he was back in 2014, I don't see any other D-lineman on the team better suited for 3rd downs.

I'm not a fan personally, but if you're going to a 3 DE or 4 DE defensive line then it make sense. Keep him fresh for taking up blocks and stopping the run.

swiper
09-11-2017, 05:16 PM
It looked to me like they had more D ends in there on third down, even in the DT position. Also, Dareus was clearly clogging the middle with others coming from the end position. He had a number of plays where he collapsed the line toward the RB and a hit or two in there even if it didn't show in the stats. They threw quick passes all day. From the middle, sacks come on slow developing plays most of the time. I don't get all the whining.

Leslie Frasier says he was happy with Dareus's performance. That's good enough for me. He acknowledged frequently rotating the D-line players. He said Dareus gave them what they asked him to. Again, that's good enough for me.

It's a new scheme. Dareus is being used in a different way. You've got to put some faith in his coaches at some point. This isn't Frazier's first go around.

swiper
09-11-2017, 05:21 PM

Dareus certainly can be good. But, if this is going to be his role in this defense I will say this: you don't need to waste a 1st round pick on a DT. You can get a big body to take up space farther down in the draft. The Bills have to go back to using high picks for skilled positions. Burn the Whaley thought process out of the mind hive. Sadly they are stuck with this guy for now. He is going to be another big fat tub of lard like Ted Washington, Sam Adams, and Pat Williams.

Night Train
09-11-2017, 06:26 PM
I have zero problem with Dareus being a clogger while others clean up with the tackles.

DraftBoy
09-11-2017, 06:54 PM
Dareus certainly can be good. But, if this is going to be his role in this defense I will say this: you don't need to waste a 1st round pick on a DT. You can get a big body to take up space farther down in the draft. The Bills have to go back to using high picks for skilled positions. Burn the Whaley thought process out of the mind hive. Sadly they are stuck with this guy for now. He is going to be another big fat tub of lard like Ted Washington, Sam Adams, and Pat Williams.

Sam Adams and Ted Washington were both first round picks. It's not quite as easy as just finding a big guy and putting him out there.

BillsImpossible
09-11-2017, 08:07 PM
I have zero problem with Dareus being a clogger while others clean up with the tackles.

Jets ran so many screen passes and they all failed because Dareus and Williams didn't bite.

Dareus occupies a massive space as the anchor of the Bills defense. He's a giant nose tackle that can rush the QB when called on.

If he rushed the QB on those screen passes, the middle of the defensive line would be wide open.

So yes, he's still in pass coverage in a sense...to stop the screen, and plug the middle of the field against the run and pass.

My only problem with Dareus is how I'd like to see him get his arms up more often to knock down passes.

Get those paws up big MD!

I didn't see Kyle Williams or Marcell Dareus making tackles 20 yards down field.

That's a good thing.

Arm of Harm
09-11-2017, 08:32 PM
I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with Ted Washington, Sam Adams, and Pat Williams.

You take a 3-4 defense. Not the inferior version Rex stuck us with, but a real 3-4. A Wade Phillips 3-4. The best defense in the league 3-4. A defense like that all starts with the nose tackle. The NT is supposed to consume two guys while still making plays. Ted Washington and Pat Williams gave you exactly that. So now it's your remaining ten defenders against the remaining nine offensive guys. Plus, it's now really tough for them to run the ball up the middle, because you've got a big monster of a guy right there. The Wade Phillips 3-4 defense was by far the best Bills defense I've seen in my lifetime, and the NT was an absolutely essential part of that success.

BRUUUUCE
09-11-2017, 08:39 PM
Maybe my least favorite Bill ever. What a waste. He doesn't care.

Mace
09-11-2017, 09:13 PM
I looked up Dareus's contract (http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/marcell-dareus-7718/). If the Bills cut him after the season, it's a $22.2 million cap hit. But if they keep him, it's a $16.6 million cap hit. So you're losing $5.6 million in cap space by cutting him as opposed to keeping him. So you take that one time hit at $5.6 million, and then after that he's off the books for good. It's an option well worth considering, especially if he fails to produce in the upcoming 15 games.

Yeah, this makes no sense to me. You're not taking a one time hit of 5.6 million, you're taking a hit of 16.6 million, 5.6 million less than what you might, Still costs 16.6 million which is prohibitive from whatever production you might wring out of him before he possibly gets suspended again, or adequate production with some maybe if he doesn't.

He costs 16.6 million bottom line. Saving 5.6 to spend "only" 16.6 is peculiar logic until he stops producing entirely.

He's also not off the books or good. He costs 5.265 million in 2018. His tipping point is 2019 when we actually do save a million and only have to soak up 7.8 million or 2020 when we only have to pay him 1.4 while saving 14.1.

https://overthecap.com/player/marcell-dareus/1830/

Arm of Harm
09-11-2017, 09:34 PM
Yeah, this makes no sense to me. You're not taking a one time hit of 5.6 million, you're taking a hit of 16.6 million, 5.6 million less than what you might, Still costs 16.6 million which is prohibitive from whatever production you might wring out of him before he possibly gets suspended again, or adequate production with some maybe if he doesn't.

He costs 16.6 million bottom line. Saving 5.6 to spend "only" 16.6 is peculiar logic until he stops producing entirely.

He's also not off the books or good. He costs 5.265 million in 2018. His tipping point is 2019 when we actually do save a million and only have to soak up 7.8 million or 2020 when we only have to pay him 1.4 while saving 14.1.

https://overthecap.com/player/marcell-dareus/1830/

With Dareus there are two questions.

1) Is he performing at or near the level you'd expect from someone making the money he's making?
2) If not, what can you do about it?

If the Bills release him after this season, he will still receive a bit over $7 million from the team in guaranteed money for 2018. If on the other hand he isn't released, he'd receive close to $10 million for 2018. Releasing him would therefore prevent the team from paying him $3 million in actual money. That's not as much money as one might hope, and it's disappointing that the majority of his 2018 salary is now guaranteed.

From a salary cap perspective, releasing him after the season accelerates the cap hit associated with him. That's why he'll count $5.6 million more against the cap for 2018 if he isn't on the team than if he is.

Mace
09-11-2017, 09:34 PM
Meant to say "only" 5.265 million negative in 2018 with a 21.5 million dead remaining. They guaranteed money.

Mace
09-11-2017, 09:47 PM
With Dareus there are two questions.

1) Is he performing at or near the level you'd expect from someone making the money he's making?
2) If not, what can you do about it?

If the Bills release him after this season, he will still receive a bit over $7 million from the team in guaranteed money for 2018. If on the other hand he isn't released, he'd receive close to $10 million for 2018. Releasing him would therefore prevent the team from paying him $3 million in actual money. That's not as much money as one might hope, and it's disappointing that the majority of his 2018 salary is now guaranteed.

From a salary cap perspective, releasing him after the season accelerates the cap hit associated with him. That's why he'll count $5.6 million more against the cap for 2018 if he isn't on the team than if he is.

We can't do anything much about Dareus without 16.6 million in cap hit in 2018 unless someone assumes that salary. I'm not sure how you're reading this, but he has 29 million in dead money the next two years. That's not 5.6 million in savings, it costs 29 million, saving 5.6 is kind of wee against that number.

From the salary cap perspective he costs more than 29 million dollars the next two years or you save 2. He costs something like 30.5 next 3 years no matter what in guaranteed money.

DraftBoy
09-12-2017, 06:06 AM
You cut Dareus and not only do you eat a ton of cap space but you have no one who is able to replace him or come close to it. If we had a decent replacement then you can entertain it but right now you're putting in Worthy who is a penetrating DT similar to Kyle Williams not a space eater like Dareus.