PDA

View Full Version : Defense

Forward_Lateral
09-11-2017, 06:33 AM
I thought it actually looked pretty decent. Yes it was the Jets, but they were still very disciplined, and didn't miss many tackles. How many screens did the Jets throw that went for 1 or 2 yards? Those used to be 10 yard + plays the past couple of seasons.

Yes there were no sacks and seemingly not much pressure from the front 4, but that will happen when the QB gets the ball out of his hand in record time. Seriously I think I can count on one hand (2 fingers) how many times McCown threw the ball down the field.

Jets fans are in for a long season. I can't see that team winning many games to be honest.

kingJofNYC
09-11-2017, 06:51 AM
I was really happy with the way our Safeties played. We need a couple of LBs and some youth in the middle of the DL, and it's only week 1, but I was pleased. Everyone hustled to the ball, hard no to like, they were organized too.

justasportsfan
09-11-2017, 08:02 AM
Hardly any pressure. Good thing we weren't playing a better offense.

alohabillsfan
09-11-2017, 08:34 AM
The QB had way to much time, it wasn't that he got rid of it in record time, it was the coverage downfield and his lack of willingness to take a shot downfield. Front 4 needs to step up. As far as LB's. They did great against the run filling gaps and sure tackling!

OLDSRIP
09-11-2017, 08:57 AM
I was glad to see 11 men on the field.
And I didn't see any confusion among the players.

Forward_Lateral
09-11-2017, 09:06 AM
The QB had way to much time, it wasn't that he got rid of it in record time, it was the coverage downfield and his lack of willingness to take a shot downfield. Front 4 needs to step up. As far as LB's. They did great against the run filling gaps and sure tackling!

Maybe we watched different games. McCown had 187 yards on 39 attempts. That's the definition of dink and dunk. He got rid of the ball very quickly MOST of the time.

daryls61
09-11-2017, 09:15 AM
The only 2 times he threw downfield, he was picked off. Lets see what Cam does next week. Should be a good test for the defense.

Forward_Lateral
09-11-2017, 09:26 AM
The only 2 times he threw downfield, he was picked off. Lets see what Cam does next week. Should be a good test for the defense.

Agreed. A good measuring stick for both the offense and the defense.

Ingtar33
09-11-2017, 09:31 AM
Don't take anything from this game.

The Jets offense will be historically bad this year. Wait till we play some real offenses before judging the defense.

Forward_Lateral
09-11-2017, 09:58 AM
Don't take anything from this game.

The Jets offense will be historically bad this year. Wait till we play some real offenses before judging the defense.

They did look extra bad. Like they weren't even trying. Bowles is terrible. I don't care that he has no roster. You don't punt the ball from opponent's territory down two scores with under 8 minutes to go.

Kenny
09-11-2017, 10:03 AM
Agreed. I was ok with the defense. Secondary looked good and run D was great. But again, this was against likely the worst offense in the league.
Not too happy with the lack of pressure from the front 4.

It only gets tougher from this point forward

kingJofNYC
09-11-2017, 10:39 AM
It's evident that LBs and possibly pass rush will be our biggest weakness, LBs more so. They won't cover, no range. Jets threw a lot of quick passes, they didn't want to expose their QB to any sort of rush so lets see what happens going forward, I'm more concerned with the LBs.

Kenny
09-11-2017, 11:19 AM
It's evident that LBs and possibly pass rush will be our biggest weakness, LBs more so. They won't cover, no range. Jets threw a lot of quick passes, they didn't want to expose their QB to any sort of rush so lets see what happens going forward, I'm more concerned with the LBs.

Yup... which is why a team like NE will destroy us. Dink and dunk with quick speedy receivers and Gronk.

Forward_Lateral
09-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Yup... which is why a team like NE will destroy us. Dink and dunk with quick speedy receivers and Gronk.

They'll throw screens that aren't poorly designed. The Jets ran the same crappy screen pass where the WR was about 2 feet from the sideline about 10 times.

swiper
09-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Game #1 was a good starting result for the first game for this group together. While certainly there were a couple of soft spots, I think McDermott and Frasier will tighten things up as time goes by. What is going on with Gaines?

Ed
09-11-2017, 12:42 PM
Game #1 was a good starting result for the first game for this group together. While certainly there were a couple of soft spots, I think McDermott and Frasier will tighten things up as time goes by. What is going on with Gaines?
McDermott said Gaines has a shoulder contusion. I'm assuming that's good news and he doesn't have any significant bone or ligament damage.

jamze132
09-11-2017, 02:19 PM
If you watch the All-22 footage, you'll see where we blew several coverages that a good QB going through the progessions would have seen. Our stats should have been a bit worse than what they turned out to be.

Kenny
09-11-2017, 06:42 PM
They'll throw screens that aren't poorly designed. The Jets ran the same crappy screen pass where the WR was about 2 feet from the sideline about 10 times.
Maybe, but not too concerned about that play. Screens are designed to work best when you have an overly aggressive defense. We didn't blitz too much and played quite a bit of zone.
Im much more worried about the short/quick passes which can find the holes in a zone coverage D. Small quick guys that know how to run proper routes will cause us a lot of problems.

Forward_Lateral
09-12-2017, 09:09 AM
If you watch the All-22 footage, you'll see where we blew several coverages that a good QB going through the progessions would have seen. Our stats should have been a bit worse than what they turned out to be.
Who's we? You play for the Bills now?

BRUUUUCE
09-12-2017, 11:06 PM
Tackling was the best I've seen from a Bills squad in a while...

psubills62
09-13-2017, 08:48 AM
I'm not sold on this defense yet, but let's be real - NE destroys everyone.

I'm interested to see how we do against the Panthers. McCaffrey seems like the type of player who usually kills us.

Forward_Lateral
09-18-2017, 04:46 AM
D took another big step yesterday. Poyer is playing like a 10 year all pro vet. The pass rush was in Cam's face almost every time he dropped back. They beat the holy hell out of him. Too bad the Offense downright stinks.