PDA

View Full Version : Humber, Poyer

Night Train
09-11-2017, 06:37 PM
Talk about finding guys that fit a scheme..

Nice job.

YardRat
09-11-2017, 06:49 PM
Humber is a holdover from last season.

ParanoidAndroid
09-11-2017, 07:21 PM
Poyer was seemingly everywhere but only had 3 tackles. I think they went after him a little bit.

BillsImpossible
09-11-2017, 07:41 PM

Mostly as a backup. Who needs Humber last year when you have Dareus and Williams in pass coverage?

Mace
09-11-2017, 07:43 PM

Retained him though and made him a starter, still a "find" really at this point, even from our own coal pile. I'm liking Hyde as well.

Frenchman
09-11-2017, 07:45 PM
One down and sixteen more weeks to go. So far so good. Keep it up!

swiper
09-12-2017, 04:49 AM
Looky, looky:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics

Good job fellahs.

Forward_Lateral
09-12-2017, 09:11 AM
I thought both safeties played good. Poyer got toasted once by Tomlinsonsomething and another time by Tye. They'll need to improve their coverage of TEs

ghz in pittsburgh
09-12-2017, 10:17 AM
Poyer is an OK player, not really great at coverage. I still believe the 2 safeties the Jets have will be far away the better ones in a couple of years (if not sooner) in AFC east period.

I do want to point out that one of the biggest technical issues in Rex's defense last two years is the lack of talent in safeties. Once Aaron Williams were out, they have no one.

Give credit to who deserves it. In this case, Whaley. Fact is, most of the FAs he brought in are good. His pro scouting ability is obvious. The problem is college scouting is a little different. Seeing talent, or potential talent is one aspect, seeing a professional character is much more difficult (especially with the amount of money involved). And of course, being a GM is still much more than pro and college scouting.

Forward_Lateral
09-12-2017, 10:41 AM
Anybody can scout NFL players. It's not hard. They are already developed, and there are zillions of stats/film of them playing at the highest level. No GM should be given credit for scouting NFL talent.

swiper
09-12-2017, 11:52 AM
Poyer is an OK player, not really great at coverage. I still believe the 2 safeties the Jets have will be far away the better ones in a couple of years (if not sooner) in AFC east period.

I do want to point out that one of the biggest technical issues in Rex's defense last two years is the lack of talent in safeties. Once Aaron Williams were out, they have no one.

Give credit to who deserves it. In this case, Whaley. Fact is, most of the FAs he brought in are good. His pro scouting ability is obvious. The problem is college scouting is a little different. Seeing talent, or potential talent is one aspect, seeing a professional character is much more difficult (especially with the amount of money involved). And of course, being a GM is still much more than pro and college scouting.

As others have pointed out, and McDermott noted right away upon taking over - last year's entire secondary were bad tacklers. He went out and got better tacklers. Instant upgrade.

YardRat
09-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Yeah, the Jets safeties are going to make a good tandem IMO. Maybe not as good as Ko Simpson and Donte Whitner, but still pretty good.

Pinkerton Security
09-13-2017, 12:12 PM
Anybody can scout NFL players. It's not hard. They are already developed, and there are zillions of stats/film of them playing at the highest level. No GM should be given credit for scouting NFL talent.

Simply not true - choosing how any player fits in your scheme isn't as simple as looking at stats. Film is important.