X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

This year is different

I just don't have the enthusiasm like the last few years. I always tell people I want to experience it when the Bills make the playoff since 2000. Hence, I will still watch the games, and of course the hyping machine from OBD never stops in the past. This year, however, deep down I know it is not going to be the year, especially after the Watkins trade.

I found myself a bit less emotional with the ebbs and flows watching the Jets game. My belief that the Bills would win that game was never in doubt, but if they would somehow lose, I had a voice in my head saying that it is not the worst thing in the world.

Frankly they started the game by driving all the way down to Jets red zone deep, converting a few 3rd downs on the way surprised me. I'm just so used to slow starts by offense; failing to convert 3rd downs was such a norm ...

McDermott's team does look more professional, more organized in one week. The old saying is winning covers everything, even in Rex's wins we'd jump for joy. We'll see how they lose, which is coming faster than we'd want.

Next week we are going against a team played in Feb last year, at their home opener. I'm expecting a loss. Everyone in his/her right mind would. I don't know I'd be that dejected with every play not going Bills's way, but I do want to see how this team fight its way.

If they do pull a big upset ... Never mind, let's just watch the game.
  • Historian
    2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
    • Dec 2002

Re: This year is different

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    McDermott's team does look more professional, more organized in one week.
    This.

Just give me an honest effort, and don't beat yourself.

Comment

• Swiper
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Historian View Post
      This.

Just give me an honest effort, and don't beat yourself.
      And he's already said "nice win, but we've got stuff to correct." I like to just sit back and root for the team as a fan. He makes it easy for me to do that.

Comment

• RandolphDuke
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
        I just don't have the enthusiasm like the last few years. This year, however, deep down I know it is not going to be the year, especially after the Watkins trade.
        Careful, it almost sounds like you're giving up your seat on the Super Bowl Express. Toot toot!

Comment

• Homegrown
          Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
          • Jul 2008

I hated the Rex hiring - said so at the time - who in their right mind would hire this loser buffon .... watched a few games on TV in 2015 ... no games in 2016....I haven't been to a game in forever

Anything post Rex is good ... but McD going with TT at QB is asinine

I'm pretty easy going guy, but 17 years of "rinse, wash, repeat" is ridiculous

Comment

• Swiper
            • Sep 2010

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
              • Mar 2004

What I like about McD is he's not a hype machine. He's not yapping to the media every time he gets a chance about how good the team is, blah blah blah. He doesn't blow smoke at the fans, or the players. You won? Good job. Now get better. Don't be an idiot and do something stupid celebrating 1 NFL win. Get back to work Tuesday and go for Win #2.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                Sab and TD are insignificant
                • Sep 2002

McDermott is looking like he just might be the right hire. But we beat the jets... if he were to be tooting his own horn after that, I'd be very disappointed. Seems humble. Let's hope that humbleness imbues itself into the players.

Also we do seem to be playing more fundamentally sound football which tells me there is actually a lot more attention to detail as opposed to snacking and wrapping your pick up in Bills insignia. Also a major plus. But let's see it not only carry over, but IMPROVE every week.
                www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                  Sab and TD are insignificant
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Homegrown View Post
                  I hated the Rex hiring - said so at the time - who in their right mind would hire this loser buffon .... watched a few games on TV in 2015 ... no games in 2016....I haven't been to a game in forever

Anything post Rex is good ... but McD going with TT at QB is asinine

I'm pretty easy going guy, but 17 years of "rinse, wash, repeat" is ridiculous
                  I can guarantee you that we will see Peterman start games this season. I hope he grabs the bull by the horns and makes it his b!+ch.
                  www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

Sorry I don't subscribe to the tanking theory. The teams do tanking just keep on tanking...

Maybe because I live in Steel town and see how a good management can succeed. You do need luck. The Steelers' luck is having Roethlisberger falling to their lap at pick 11. BUT, before landing big Ben, it was winning organization.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

I have long term enthusiasm. That's the difference. People want it NOW and it's not happening, with lots of work to be done by Beane, McDermott and Co.

They get a fair shot to right the ship instead of throwing band aids on the roster like the practice of the last 17 years.

I have no delusions of grandeur this season. Keep it real.
                      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
                        Well, lookie here...
                        • Dec 2004

I was really down on the team the last couple of seasons because of Wrecks and the circus clowns he brought with him, so it's different for me because I actually have something to hope, and root, for again.
                        YardRat Wall of Fame
                        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• djjimkelly
                          • Apr 2003

i want the team to look solid while losing.

sorry i desperately want one of these big 3 qbs in 2018

Comment

• Night Train
                            Retired - On Several Levels
                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by djjimkelly View Post
                            sorry i desperately want one of these big 3 qbs in 2018
                            We all do but I believe the total of good QB's exceeds 3. The Bills will get one.
                            Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Mace
                              Haha...yeah you think so ?
                              • Mar 2013

I've always said right along that I just love football, would watch all the games I could. I feel better about this present organization and staff than I have since Levy proved me wrong (I liked Wade much better as a DC than HC).

But this past weekend I only half watched the Bills. Didn't watch any other games. Watched a lot of hurricane coverage instead, was just more interesting. Watched one of the Monday night games, part of the other, got bored, went to sleep.

I don't know. I'm feeling a sense of apathy myself, despite what I believe to be progress. Surprises me.

Comment

Working...
                              X