PDA

View Full Version : Vikes - Bills postgame review

Ingtar33
09-16-2002, 12:12 AM
First of all let me get this out of the way

Bledsoe: 35 of 49 (71%) with 463yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTS with only 3 sacks and a 121.4 QBR!

Price: 13rec for 185yards at 14.2y/catch and 2TDs
Reed: 8rec for 110yards at 13.8y/catch and 1TD
Moulds: 8rec for 86yards at 10.8y/catch

The positives...
1) Bledsoe dropped back 52 times and was sacked only 3 for a total of 17.3 drop backs per sack. Not only was Bledsoe given good time to throw (most of the time) but there was not one holding penalty and only one false start against the Bills O-line. This is fairly impressive as the strength of the Vikes D is their D-line.

2) The play calling by Gilbride. While I know there has been a lot of questioning the Bills running only a handful of time the simple fact was that whenever the bills lined up in a conventional Offence, the Vikes brought 8 men into the box and run blitzed extensively. In response Gilbride abandoned the run and attacked the weak Min secondary, giving the game to Bledsoe & the wideouts, and taking the Vikes away from their Defensive successes.

3) Mike Hollis & Rogers, and the special teams made up for some of their past mistakes with a fairly decent game (of course they did mess up that punt return, but I doubt we were all expecting a miracle after last week). What was refreshing was seeing the special teams making some plays to help us win.

4) The D-Line. While the Vikes had good success on the ground, it was clear that this was mainly due to the Bills being caught in some fairly obvious pass defenses (dimes, nickels, and some strange 3-3 and 5-2 formations). In essence the Vikes did to us what the Rams should have done to the Pats (last super bowl). When you dare a team to run, like we did, you should expect those types of rushing yards. The D-line got a lot of pressure on Culpepper (5 sacks), and Schobel cleaned house against a really suspect Vikes O-line. Give them all the props in the world for the forced fumbles, that's just the playmaking we needed to see.

5) Wire, Watson, Clements, Prioleau and Winfield... for a good job keeping Culpepper & Moss in check for most of the game (Culpepper only completed something like 55% of his passes).

The Negatives...
1) Poor Tackling. This is more than a problem with the special teams (which gave up another big return due to poor tackling) as I saw many occurrences of this with our standard front 7, missing tackle after tackle, giving the Vikes more yards than their shoddy O-line blocking deserved.

2) Low snaps. Teague, was consistently snapping the snaps low, resulting in a stalled overtime drive when he dropped one on Bledsoe's toe.

3) Questionable decisions. Now I wouldn't bring up the 2pt conversion because I think (it's been a while) to 'go for it' is what is called for in that situation on the "card" that the coaches carry around. But I will bring up our first trip inside the Vikings 20, when the Bills, on a 4th and 1 at the 2 took a field goal instead of going for it. And I'll bring up our decision to pass on 1 and 5 at the Vikes 19 in OT. And I'll question our total abandonment of the run in the 2nd half.

4) Travis Henry with a fumble at the Vikes 1 yard line.

Bottom Line:
With Bledsoe on pace for an NFL record 5872 yards passing (and 32TDs, 16INTs) and not to mention an astronomical 69% completion percentage (to date), I think the question we all must ask ourselves is how many more games can we expect like the last 2? It seems very unrealistic to expect Bledsoe to avg nearly 350yards a game for the rest of the season, but when you watch that Offence move the ball, and see the time Bledsoe gets (or takes) in the pocket, you get the impression that the 'sky's the limit' for these guys. If the Bills defense continues its trend of giving up consistent yardage (5.7y/play week1: 5y/play week2) we might just see how long Drew and the O can keep putting up these numbers.

northernbillfan
09-16-2002, 12:58 AM
Good work :up: Nice breakdown.

Did the Vikes score 6 or 3 after the Henry fumble?

venis2k1
09-16-2002, 01:01 AM
0 bledsoe recoverd Henrys fumble

northernbillfan
09-16-2002, 01:18 AM
:phew:

SoCalBillsFan
09-16-2002, 01:22 AM
and a heck of a recovery that was too.

good analysis.

Captain gameboy
09-16-2002, 05:26 AM
Agree Ingtar. Bledsoe's performances these past two weeks will have consequences though.
Every D coord we'll face is probably cooking up multiple blitz package defenses to get to Drew. There doesn't seem to be any way to stop this offense unless he's knocked down. I hope the Bills young offensive line can make adjustments, and we continue to get decent pass blocking from our backs, (much better so far than last year), because we are going to see everything but the peanut vendors thrown at us until we prove we can handle it.
I think we'll get a chance to see this next week. We'll find out if Gilbride, Drew and the wideouts can execute those quick reads, 'cause I think we're going to find out real soon.

Ingtar33
09-16-2002, 08:37 AM
I'm not so sure. The first quarter of the Jets game the Jets did throw every blitz at us, but when Bledsoe and company started to light it up against their secondary they backed off. The Vikes tried a few pass blitzes early, but again Drew and company seemed to back them off it with some early success. So far the Bills seem to both pick up the blitzes and make the D pay for them. D coordinators every week will come with the heat, but only will keep it up if they have some success... so far the blitzes that have been thrown at us have been fairly ineffective. After going away from the blitz early, in OT, the Vikes blitzed on nearly every play, and the Bills torched them for it. Believe me, D coordinators will notice that when they game plan for us. Besides, the book on Bledsoe has been for years is to bring heat up the middle of the field, to force him to throw off his back foot (where something like 90% of his INTs come from), yet so far this year, both the Jets and Vike have had problems getting pressure with the middle blitz… keep that up and soon you'll see teams playing dimes against us on 1st through 4th down.

timfromjersey
09-16-2002, 09:05 AM
Intar, good work on your analysis and I think that Bledsoe will keep putting up the numbers because the offensive line is playing with poise and will only get better as the season progresses while they continue to learn about each other tendencies and gel. Plus Bledsoe now has the best reciever combination in the league bar none, not even St Louis.

As far as the defense is concerned, It is a very young defense and they to will learn to play their defense system better as the season goes on. There is no substitute for experience and I think they are talented enough to improve.

mybills
09-16-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
First of all let me get this out of the way

Bledsoe: 35 of 49 (71%) with 463yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTS with only 3 sacks and a 121.4 QBR!

Bottom Line:
With Bledsoe on pace for an NFL record 5872 yards passing (and 32TDs, 16INTs) and not to mention an astronomical 69% completion percentage (to date), I think the question we all must ask ourselves is how many more games can we expect like the last 2? It seems very unrealistic to expect Bledsoe to avg nearly 350yards a game for the rest of the season, but when you watch that Offence move the ball, and see the time Bledsoe gets (or takes) in the pocket, you get the impression that the 'sky's the limit' for these guys. If the Bills defense continues its trend of giving up consistent yardage (5.7y/play week1: 5y/play week2) we might just see how long Drew and the O can keep putting up these numbers.

He was sacked at least 6 times.
and
350 yds or more has (always) been around his average.

Ingtar33
09-16-2002, 09:49 AM
No, it was 3 sacks in the viking game (its on every stat board, espn.com, NFL.com... I thought it was higher too untill I reviewed the game tape and saw that 2 sacks were removed due to Vikings and or Bills penalties). Bledsoe has averaged 241.2y/game passing throughout his carreer.

colin
09-16-2002, 10:35 AM
I think when we blitz the passer we do very well, we should turn up the heat more.

LtBillsFan66
09-16-2002, 10:47 AM
Great job Ingtar33!

Wys - please read...

mybills
09-19-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Ingtar33
No, it was 3 sacks in the viking game (its on every stat board, espn.com, NFL.com... I thought it was higher too untill I reviewed the game tape and saw that 2 sacks were removed due to Vikings and or Bills penalties). Bledsoe has averaged 241.2y/game passing throughout his carreer.

Oh, I didn't know about the removals. I was also guessing on his passing yds, I knew it wasn't didly.

Cntrygal
09-19-2002, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by BillsFanOne
Great job Ingtar33!

Wys - please read...

:lol:
you only say that because Ingtar's post is under 10,000 words!!!