PDA

View Full Version : The Bills are simply not good

buffalobillsfan95
09-17-2017, 03:56 PM
Let me first state that I'm obviously upset about the loss. I hope this doesn't cloud my judgment and make my point a reach.

Ive been watching the bills for years, like many of us, and notice the glaring difference between winners and the bills. The good/great teams are able to elevate there games to the competition. I'll give credit to the defense, as we should win 9 out of 10 games if we hold the opposing team to 9 points.

The reason the bills tug our heart strings is because they give the illusion every year that "we might be good this year...maybe?"

what we need is consistency. We can't keep hoping that we get lucky.

To finish my point... I think we are heading on the right direction but will we finally take that step all the other bills teams have been fielded over the years?

i guess that question is why we still watch

Pennywise
09-17-2017, 04:37 PM
You should win 10 out of 10 games when you hold the opposition to 9 points.

This loss is on Taylor. He was awful. He not only sucked throwing the ball but, because of that, our run offense sucked as well. He even shows he is a little bit of a threat to make plays with his arm and the Bills would have been able to move the ball on the ground.

I really believe this team would be a solid playoff team with competent QB play.

baalworship
09-17-2017, 04:42 PM
This loss is on Russ Brandon. Cut and don't resign your best young players. Sean McD looks like a young GWilliams or Dick Jauron.

psubills62
09-17-2017, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately didn't get to watch the game. Sundays have become very busy this year, and honestly can't say I'm that bummed about missing them at this point. Sort of in "wake me up when we get to the playoffs" mode.

I said before the year that I expect the defense to look average and the offense to look really bad. Seems like that was the case today. I do get the feeling they're kind of riding Tyrod's contract out until they get their franchise player (which almost has to be at the top of the draft).

swiper
09-17-2017, 08:05 PM
This loss is on Russ Brandon. Cut and don't resign your best young players. Sean McD looks like a young GWilliams or Dick Jauron.

Russ Brandon? WTF? We all hate this game, but this is a game that no one thought the Bils could win. After the game everyone thinks they "could have" won the game had the offensive play calling been a little more special. And that's possible. There's certainly a lot of blame to go Brandon's way over the years, but I don't see how you pin this on him.

The OC never really called plays before. Maybe he'll get better.

SpikedLemonade
09-17-2017, 08:06 PM
OK

Mace
09-17-2017, 08:20 PM
I said before the year that I expect the defense to look average and the offense to look really bad. Seems like that was the case today. I do get the feeling they're kind of riding Tyrod's contract out until they get their franchise player (which almost has to be at the top of the draft).

Agree about Tyrod, but think this defense actually looks like it's well on the road past average.

Albany,n.y.
09-17-2017, 08:50 PM
This is a 2 to 4 win team no matter who plays QB. Just look at the schedule & try to find more than 4 wins-can't be done without some mega reaching. Denver won 42-17 against Dallas today. I dare anyone to make a rational case for a win next week. Outside of the next Jets game, and possibly Cincinnati, where do you seriously see any victories. Maybe a lucky bounce in 1 other game gets us win #4, which only hurts our draft choice. Might as well lose out & get a real QB.

BertSquirtgum
09-18-2017, 05:47 AM
Tyrod Taylor is simply not good. Even average QB play would relieve some of the stacking the box. Tyrod is just so bad. The Bills need to realize they have a running back playing quarterback and need to try Pete Naterman.

baalworship
09-18-2017, 07:48 AM
Russ Brandon? WTF? We all hate this game, but this is a game that no one thought the Bils could win. After the game everyone thinks they "could have" won the game had the offensive play calling been a little more special. And that's possible. There's certainly a lot of blame to go Brandon's way over the years, but I don't see how you pin this on him.

The OC never really called plays before. Maybe he'll get better.

Well, the talent level on this team is on Beane and McDermott. They are the ones who brought back Tyrod Taylor. They are the ones who traded Sammy Watkins. They are the ones who traded Ronald Darby. They are the ones who moved on from Stephon Gillmore, Mike Gilislee, and Jonathan Williams. This is their team now.

Historian
09-18-2017, 07:59 AM
I'm not that down on them, although I agree that perusing the schedule is kind of depressing.

What I like about this team the most is what I don't see: 135 yards a week in penalties.

I like that the defense is stingy again.

I think it's a good foundation.

But this year is probably already a washout.

ticatfan
09-18-2017, 08:35 AM
The why did the bills not go after Kaep. RH111 or even manzeil. Who else is out there? Musical QB's is not the answer.

Bill Cody
09-18-2017, 08:39 AM
I'm not that down on them, although I agree that perusing the schedule is kind of depressing.

What I like about this team the most is what I don't see: 135 yards a week in penalties.

I like that the defense is stingy again.

I think it's a good foundation.

But this year is probably already a washout.

I agree with this. Posters here are kind of nutso. They predict 3 wins and then they're like freaked out when the D allows 9 points on the road to a SB team from 2 years ago. Yeah Tie Rod ain't Tom Brady. Duh. That's why you predicted 3-6 wins all over this board. Or did beating the f'n Jets change your minds?

baalworship
09-18-2017, 08:40 AM
The why did the bills not go after Kaep. RH111 or even manzeil. Who else is out there? Musical QB's is not the answer.

The Bills made no attempt to upgrade the QB play or passing game this year. If they wanted a stop-gap veteran to run the WCO they could have got a guy like Nick Foles for 6 million bucks. He is a better passer than Tyrod and fits the scheme they insist on running. At the draft they passed on top QB prospects again and drafted a cornerback to replace the one they let go in free agency. Not very inspiring personnel management.

Bill Cody
09-18-2017, 08:59 AM
The Bills made no attempt to upgrade the QB play or passing game this year. If they wanted a stop-gap veteran to run the WCO they could have got a guy like Nick Foles for 6 million bucks. He is a better passer than Tyrod and fits the scheme they insist on running. At the draft they passed on top QB prospects again and drafted a cornerback to replace the one they let go in free agency. Not very inspiring personnel management.

Nick Foles sucks. Kaep sucks. Tie Rod sucks too but he's every bit as good as those 2 bums. What you're talking about is pure nonsense anyway. The last thing and I mean the last thing the Bills want to do is win 8 games because they got a slightly less sucky but still sucky guy under center. The goal is not perpetual mediocrity until we all die. Or is 17 years just a warm up for you? WE NEED A REAL QB. Repeat as often as it takes for that fact to settle in and getting 8 wins is not helpful to that end. The Cincy game is pick em and even if we win it you might see Peterman after the bye. Is that a good thing? Absolutely. Not because we know what he is but because we don't. This is what Historian said a rebuilding year.

baalworship
09-18-2017, 09:05 AM
Nick Foles sucks. Kaep sucks. Tie Rod sucks too but he's every bit as good as those 2 bums. What you're talking about is pure nonsense anyway. The last thing and I mean the last thing the Bills want to do is win 8 games because they got a slightly less sucky but still sucky guy under center. The goal is not perpetual mediocrity until we all die. Or is 17 years just a warm up for you? WE NEED A REAL QB. Repeat as often as it takes for that fact to settle in and getting 8 wins is not helpful to that end. The Cincy game is pick em and even if we win it you might see Peterman after the bye. Is that a good thing? Absolutely. Not because we know what he is but because we don't. This is what Historian said a rebuilding year.

Then why bring back Tyrod Taylor if you don't want mediocrity? TT is the very definition of it. Good enough to beat the Jets but not good enough to run a 2 minute drill when the other team knows you need to pass or come back late in the 4th. Why bring back Kyle Williams?

I could get on board with a rebuild. But then do it right, not this stuff. Bills are middling it again.

Thurmal
09-18-2017, 09:18 AM
This is a 2 to 4 win team no matter who plays QB.
Are you sure? Because if they had even a mediocre QB, they're 2-0 right now. When you a have defense that goes on the road and holds a team that is 20 months removed from the SB to 9 points, you're going to win a few games.

Albany,n.y.
09-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Are you sure? Because if they had even a mediocre QB, they're 2-0 right now. When you a have defense that goes on the road and holds a team that is 20 months removed from the SB to 9 points, you're going to win a few games.

Not with this year's schedule. Last year they had a bad team, but had an easy schedule and won games vs creampuffs. This year, the only creampuff is the Jets. They may hold teams down with their D, but the offense is among the worst in the league. With this O, holding a team to 9 points means the team doesn't lose by double digits and nothing more.

They don't have a mediocre QB on the roster, they have Tyrod & 2017 Marangi (a QB who everyone wants off the bench & on the field until he gets on the field, then they never want him again). They were 1-0 only because they played what may end up being the worst team in NFL history on opening day.

Bill Cody
09-18-2017, 10:29 AM
Then why bring back Tyrod Taylor if you don't want mediocrity? TT is the very definition of it. Good enough to beat the Jets but not good enough to run a 2 minute drill when the other team knows you need to pass or come back late in the 4th. Why bring back Kyle Williams?

I could get on board with a rebuild. But then do it right, not this stuff. Bills are middling it again.

You need someone to take the snaps. I think a new coach doesn't want to be 0-16 bad. Peterman will be in soon enough.

baalworship
09-18-2017, 02:53 PM
You need someone to take the snaps. I think a new coach doesn't want to be 0-16 bad. Peterman will be in soon enough.

Sure, someone has to play QB. Why would they have it be TT is the question if they are going to insist on running an offense not suited for him? Why did they give him a contract that has a high dead cap hit next year if they move on?

Bill Cody
09-18-2017, 04:19 PM
Sure, someone has to play QB. Why would they have it be TT is the question if they are going to insist on running an offense not suited for him? Why did they give him a contract that has a high dead cap hit next year if they move on?

7.6m is not a high dead cap hit for a QB. If the offense isn't suited for him and I agree it isn't it's because Taylor is passing challenged. The Bills want a young QB that can pass the ball (duh). They want to find out if that guy is Nathan Peterman, that's why Taylor is here and not another journeyman.

baalworship
09-18-2017, 04:27 PM
7.6m is not a high dead cap hit for a QB. If the offense isn't suited for him and I agree it isn't it's because Taylor is passing challenged. The Bills want a young QB that can pass the ball (duh). They want to find out if that guy is Nathan Peterman, that's why Taylor is here and not another journeyman.

It's over 8 million in dead cap. They can space it out over 2 years but that is 8,000,000+ they could be using to shore up their roster to use on WR's, Tackles, Linebackers, whatever. That is not smart asset management if you are looking towards the future because you are sacrificing tomorrow for a today that you aren't even trying to win in!

As for Peterman, he's just a guy. I saw nothing from him to believe he has NFL starter traits. If he can be a decent backup someday, great.

Bill Cody
09-19-2017, 09:37 AM
It's over 8 million in dead cap. They can space it out over 2 years but that is 8,000,000+ they could be using to shore up their roster to use on WR's, Tackles, Linebackers, whatever. That is not smart asset management if you are looking towards the future because you are sacrificing tomorrow for a today that you aren't even trying to win in!

As for Peterman, he's just a guy. I saw nothing from him to believe he has NFL starter traits. If he can be a decent backup someday, great.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/14/taylors-restructured-contract-2-year-deal-pay-cut/

I read it on one site as 7.6m, this article says 5.6m. Either way that's not a big cap hit for a QB so I disagree with you completely on this. Look at the contract Houston signed Brock Osweiler to, they had to give up a draft pick to get out of it. This was a win win for both sides. TT got a chance to prove himself and the Bills got an easy escape clause if he doesn't. I don't have an opinion of Peterman yet. But there's a high probability we're taking a QB early next year. I really like the way the Bills are handling the whole thing.

baalworship
09-20-2017, 09:40 AM
http://buffalonews.com/2017/03/14/taylors-restructured-contract-2-year-deal-pay-cut/

I read it on one site as 7.6m, this article says 5.6m. Either way that's not a big cap hit for a QB so I disagree with you completely on this. Look at the contract Houston signed Brock Osweiler to, they had to give up a draft pick to get out of it. This was a win win for both sides. TT got a chance to prove himself and the Bills got an easy escape clause if he doesn't. I don't have an opinion of Peterman yet. But there's a high probability we're taking a QB early next year. I really like the way the Bills are handling the whole thing.

The Osweiler contract?! That's the standard? Here is all you need to know. 8,000,000 in salary cap goes a long way in filling out needs on your roster and you need to do that if you want this hypothetical QB the Bills are getting to succeed.

Poor asset management. And for what? For a QB they can't even bother to design an offense around? Embarrassing stuff.

Bill Cody
09-20-2017, 11:22 AM
The Osweiler contract?! That's the standard? Here is all you need to know. 8,000,000 in salary cap goes a long way in filling out needs on your roster and you need to do that if you want this hypothetical QB the Bills are getting to succeed.

Poor asset management. And for what? For a QB they can't even bother to design an offense around? Embarrassing stuff.

If you say so

DesertFox24
09-20-2017, 03:42 PM
DID ANYONE THINK WE WERE GOING TO BE GOOD THIS YEAR.

I am for real what indicators were there to make you think this would not be a difficult year.

Albany,n.y.
09-20-2017, 05:24 PM
Well, the talent level on this team is on Beane and McDermott. They are the ones who brought back Tyrod Taylor. They are the ones who traded Sammy Watkins. They are the ones who traded Ronald Darby. They are the ones who moved on from Stephon Gillmore, Mike Gilislee, and Jonathan Williams. This is their team now.

Beane wasn't here until May. Taylor's contract was done before Beane got here as were the Patriots signings of Gilmore & Gillislee. Honestly, I don't know who was running things in March & April. Was it just McDermott or was Whaley still involved? The only thing I know for sure is Beane was in Carolina at the time decisions were made on Taylor, Gilmore & Gillislee.

baalworship
09-21-2017, 07:02 AM
Beane wasn't here until May. Taylor's contract was done before Beane got here as were the Patriots signings of Gilmore & Gillislee. Honestly, I don't know who was running things in March & April. Was it just McDermott or was Whaley still involved? The only thing I know for sure is Beane was in Carolina at the time decisions were made on Taylor, Gilmore & Gillislee.

McDermott was running things. Beane is his handpicked assistant. So no defllection to Whaley for anything that has happened since McDermott was hired.

And Tyrod Taylor is on Dennison and McDermott. Whaley, from all reports, wanted to move on and draft a QB high.

Bill Cody
09-21-2017, 10:09 AM
McDermott was running things. Beane is his handpicked assistant. So no defllection to Whaley for anything that has happened since McDermott was hired.

And Tyrod Taylor is on Dennison and McDermott. Whaley, from all reports, wanted to move on and draft a QB high.

It's not important if we took a QB this year or next. What's important is we pick the right guy. And all this gnashing of teeth about Tyrod Taylor or some other veteran bum that we could have signed instead is a waste of bandwidth. This team is years away from being really good. The clock doesn't even really start until we have a franchise QB. If we swing and miss the clock doesn't even start.

Albany,n.y.
09-21-2017, 03:49 PM
It's not important if we took a QB this year or next. What's important is we pick the right guy. And all this gnashing of teeth about Tyrod Taylor or some other veteran bum that we could have signed instead is a waste of bandwidth. This team is years away from being really good. The clock doesn't even really start until we have a franchise QB. If we swing and miss the clock doesn't even start.

We could win the Super Bowl 2 years from now with the right QB. Pittsburgh, NE & Seattle won the SB in the sophomore seasons of Roethlisberger, Brady & Wilson. Kurt Warner won the SB his 2nd year in the league even though he was an old soph. Marino was a sophomore in his only SB game. Even Colin Kaepernick's best season was year 2 of his career where he lost the SB by a FG. The teams records the year these SB QBs were drafted were: Pit 2003: 6-10, NE 1999: 8-8 (then 5-11 when Brady was 4th string rookie), Seattle 7-9, St. Louis was 5-11 in 1997 before Warner arrived & 4-12 his 1st season when he was the backup. Miami was the lone exception where Marino came onto a winning team (7-2 in strike year 1982). SF was 6-10 in 2010.