Clock Managment: Should we be concerned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mouldsie
    • Aug 2012

Clock Managment: Should we be concerned?

One thing I have not seen discussed (that might end up being Tyrod's fault around here somehow --but I personally would not blame him for) is the horrible clock/game management on Sunday.

Should we be worried about McDermott being Chan Gailey or Dick Jauron like in his clock management? He did study from Andy Reid who is notoriously one of the worst in the league at this.... or will he learn from his mistakes?

Referring mainly to the end of the first half when we could have called timeouts with Carolina on O and had time to put together a scoring drive and the end of the game when Carolina had the ball and we let them burn clock before taking a timeout so we could see the formation which ended up not doing anything for us since the reason they didn't score was an overthrow. I think there might be another example I am forgetting.

I like McDermott mostly, but I want him to be better the next time this comes up.
  • ICRockets
    Legendary Zoner
    • Jul 2008

Re: Clock Managment: Should we be concerned?

The other example is when we let about 15 seconds elapse under a minute on a Tyrod scramble.

I think there's cause for concern but not alarm, right now. Time management is one of those things you never know how a new HC is going to handle until they have to. Personally, I'm glad it happened this early so we can see how he evolves and adjusts.

Comment

• Jaybird
      • Dec 2005

He's a first year and first time coach. He will make some questionable decisions at times. He needs to learn from his mistakes

Comment

• Cali512
        • Jan 2012

None of it bothered me. With how our offense was playing I think it was smart to just go in the half and now allow a risk of a turnover. The last drive shouldn't of been an issue if Tyrod wasn't running around non stop, also by saving the TO, if zay catches the ball we have the ball at the 2-3 yd line with 11 seconds on the clock.
        Not here to be right, just here to have interesting discussions about my impulsive opinions

Comment

• Forward_Lateral
          • Mar 2004

It's one freaking game. Jesus

Comment

• sukie
            Seriously?
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Forward_Lateral View Post
            It's one freaking game. Jesus
            Agreed. people here are gonna blow MCLs with all this jerking going on. Spike's jerking will cause chafing butt that is another matter.

Comment

• Mouldsie
              • Aug 2012

It's not trivial if the goal is to win. We possibly win the game, even with the players making the mistakes that they did, if we simply made intelligent clock decisions.

Comment

• Typ0
                honey pie
                • Jul 2002

didn't bother me a bit ... I just thought how the last thing I would want to see is the defense on the field again. Other things are concerning though.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                  • Aug 2012

You're okay intentionally going into the last drive of the game down by a TD with less time on the clock than you could have had with a simple timeout?

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
                    • Aug 2004

I thought McDermott gave a pretty good answer. Remember the Bills went into that 4th down play, some 14 seconds left, with one time out in the pocket. MeDermott has countered reporters/radio hosts' question with "do you like to have that time out should Zay made the catch and downed at 1 yard line?"

You can argue that's a legit answer. I know the what ifs. Like what if he used that TO earlier and his team may have 30 seconds left (but no timeout left) instead of 14. His line of thinking is don't use it until it is absolutely necessary.

Comment

• Mouldsie
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
                      I thought McDermott gave a pretty good answer. Remember the Bills went into that 4th down play, some 14 seconds left, with one time out in the pocket. MeDermott has countered reporters/radio hosts' question with "do you like to have that time out should Zay made the catch and downed at 1 yard line?"

You can argue that's a legit answer. I know the what ifs. Like what if he used that TO earlier and his team may have 30 seconds left (but no timeout left) instead of 14. His line of thinking is don't use it until it is absolutely necessary.

He did use the timeout though.... he just waited almost the entire 40 second play and game clock before he called it (after the Panthers came out in formation and were about to snap the ball)

Comment

• Thurmal
                        • Oct 2005

The only play that really raised an eyebrow for me was when they gave the ball to McCoy for no reason whatsoever on the last play of the first half with 0:06 left. Just take a knee and get out of there. No reason to risk a fumble or injury for the 0.4% chance that he somehow breaks off an 80-yard TD run.
                        "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Homegrown
                          Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                          • Jul 2008

Same thing every year .... rinse-wash-repeat

Best part was passing for 1 yard, then burning 30% of the remaining time to complete the next play - awesome!!

1-10-BUF 37 (2:00) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short right to J.Matthews to BUF 38 for 1 yard (J.Bradberry).2-9-BUF 38 (1:39) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short left to Z.Jones pushed ob at 50 for 12 yards (D.Worley)

I'll never understand why fans understand the concept of clock management, but the guys playing (and coaching) for the Bills are so oblivious to it ....

Comment

• Mouldsie
                            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Homegrown View Post
                            Same thing every year .... rinse-wash-repeat

Best part was passing for 1 yard, then burning 30% of the remaining time to complete the next play - awesome!!

1-10-BUF 37 (2:00) (Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short right to J.Matthews to BUF 38 for 1 yard (J.Bradberry).2-9-BUF 38 (1:39) (No Huddle, Shotgun) T.Taylor pass short left to Z.Jones pushed ob at 50 for 12 yards (D.Worley)

I'll never understand why fans understand the concept of clock management, but the guys playing (and coaching) for the Bills are so oblivious to it ....
                            IDK if they do based on this thread lol

Comment

• Homegrown
                              Havin' a ball ... rollin' to the bottom
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Mouldsie View Post
                              IDK if they do based on this thread lol
                              Too true - lol .....I'm beginning to think that that after 17 years of garbage, the bar has been set so low that some peeps are settling for anything even remotely competent

Comment

Working...
                              X