PDA

View Full Version : Has talking about the NFL surpassed the interest in the actual games ?

BLUTO
09-19-2017, 09:25 PM
The games are getting more boring than ever. Too many average teams, too many commercials, too many penalties, not enough big plays and few star players that draw fans to stadiums. The TV ratings are falling fast and so are actual in-stadium attendance numbers.

It seems talking about free agents, the draft, coaches, stats and roster moves have become more important than the games themselves.

Is it symptomatic of a new generation, the unlimited media choices for entertainment or NFL greed leaving the true football fans behind?

Any comments?

OpIv37
09-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Teams like the Redskins left the true football fan behind a generation ago in the name of the almighty dollar.

BLUTO
09-20-2017, 06:42 PM
Teams like the Redskins left the true football fan behind a generation ago in the name of the almighty dollar.
Why the Redskins in particular?

Turf
09-20-2017, 07:51 PM
I think you're right. And I think without fantasy football the ratings drop 40%.

swiper
09-20-2017, 08:04 PM
I think you're right. And I think without fantasy football the ratings drop 40%.

That too will run it's course. I already dropped out of all leagues a couple of years ago. I just got back in this year, halfheartedly.

endzone
09-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Maybe this is another reason -

"Seahawks defensive end Michael Bennett was the 1st NFL player to protest this season where he’s been vocally leading nasty anti-American protests ever since. Shortly after signing a $30 million dollar contract with the Seahawks, Bennett still somehow felt “oppressed” as a black man living in America, and decided to sit on his ungrateful behind during the game against the Los Angeles Chargers back in August.

Not satisfied with quietly sitting on the sideline while the National Anthem plays, Bennett is now raising the black power salute every time he sacks a white player on the field, a disgusting racist symbol that black supremacists have used for decades to display their supremacy over the white race."

feldspar
09-21-2017, 01:29 AM
To be honest, I haven't watched a single game yet this year.

Week one, it was because of Hurricane Irma...I'm in Florida. Week two it just "meh." Tried to find a good stream, then said **** it...I have the NFL GamePass thing, so I figure I'll catch up later. They got those things where they condense the games to about 20 minutes, showing only the plays. Speaking of that, I think I read somewhere that the average NFL game only has around 13 minutes of live action, yet the game lasts about 3 hours.

Week three I'll be out of town...lol

But man oh man. I was reading about the face mask penalty that wasn't called and the offensive pass interference killer that WAS called...seemed like just a game killer. I was glad I was not emotionally involved. Same old crap. Refs playing that big of a role is not good.

The NFL has become less interesting to me ever since I stopped wagering on the games a while ago. You got money riding on the outcome, and you better believe the game is more "interesting." I wonder how many people watch just to gamble...now they have a team moving to Vegas...

Good thread.

Buddo
09-21-2017, 04:31 AM
Way too much hype and BS around a lot of games, that everyone knows are just going to be crap to watch.

There's a certain moral corruption about things also, with cheats being lauded, and inconsistent rules, the interpretation of which often seem to favour the 'big name', be it team or player.

Changes to stuff like the CBA, means that if there isn't almost instant success, 'it's time to move on'. This doesn't equate to necessarily putting the best product on the field.

Vested interests, in all sorts of ways, from college ball not even remotely trying to develop QB play, to the NFLPA restricting almost any sort of practise, is contributing to that.

Lots of stuff that equates to turning people off, tbh. It's not just 'one' thing, but lots of things, any one of which could lead to someone saying, 'I'm not going to be bothered by this anymore', or 'I've got something better to do this weekend'.

I'd also say that the rate of turnover on many rosters, doesn't help. It's hard to invest in personalities,e.g. jerseys, when you don't know if they are going to be around for more than a minute or two. You've only got to look at what happened with Watkins and Darby to see that point - but it's not just happening on the Bills.

Novacane
09-21-2017, 06:48 AM
17 years of your team sucking has a lot to do with it too!

alohabillsfan
09-21-2017, 07:24 AM
Free live streams, referees throwing way to many flags and inconsistently, tends to turn me off. I was never a big college football game guy but find those games more exciting! Lastly the PC and protests.

Generalissimus Gibby
09-21-2017, 09:24 AM
17 years of your team sucking has a lot to do with it too!

Beat me to it. If we had been to the playoffs a few times in the last 17 years and had stayed relevant then I think there would be a lot more interest in the actual game despite some shortcomings with the pro game that others here have mentioned

baalworship
09-21-2017, 09:31 AM
The Buffalo Bills are just one team in the NFL. The NFL product is fine and stable. Certainly there are problems looming with the head injuries but for now the gambling and daily fantasy sports will keep the league awash in cash even if their product isn't as good.

But the NFL does have a slew of exciting young QB's emerging. Derek Carr, Andrew Luck, Marcus Mariotta, Jameis Winston. And more to come from 2017 and 2018.

It's the Bills who need to examine if their brand of defensive, play not to lose football will keep this town excited for another 2-3 years.

DraftBoy
09-21-2017, 09:53 AM
It's exactly what the NFL wants. Despite a market having not put forth a winning effort in nearly 20 years, the area is still fully committed to talking NFL year round. That kind of buy-in and devotion will lead to more season tickets, merchandise, and money spent once the team becomes decent to good again.

kishoph
09-24-2017, 05:26 AM
I don't know if it would upset me if this league of prima donnas folded tomorrow, this is not the game of football I fell in love with almost 50 years ago. Week by week I lose interest in the NFL. Between being a fan of a franchise that has sucked going on 20 years, the pussifying of the game and now the political BS, it's no longer something I need.

Wally The Barber
09-24-2017, 05:53 AM
People are bored with inflated player salaries, ridiculous free agency system, Wrestle mania style broadcasting, big mouth players,high ticket prices, empty stadiums,over analyzing every freaking game.

JUST A BIG CASH COW OWNED BY THE MOB

Novacane
09-24-2017, 08:14 AM
It's just bad business to insult 50% of your patrons. It doesn't matter if that's not your intention. What matters is what the customer thinks. If you're ok with risking losing customers go ahead and protest away.

kishoph
09-24-2017, 09:07 AM
It's just bad business to insult 50% of your patrons. It doesn't matter if that's not your intention. What matters is what the customer thinks. If you're ok with risking losing customers go ahead and protest away.

I think 50% is a very low estimate.
Not sure the way to unify is to divide.