PDA

View Full Version : The NFL GAME is doomed!

BLUTO
09-21-2017, 11:31 PM
The NFL has major issues that seem to be converging at once to form a cesspool of negativity. Television ratings were down last season and have been falling his year. The polarizing national anthem protests and now black-power salutes when a white player is tackled certainly are a part of the mix (Michael Bennett - Seahawks).

So is the rising price of attending the game that serves to disenfranchise the average fan. And, the growing debate over concussions and head trauma has cast a pall over the sport at all levels and led to a decline in youth participation. That’s an extremely ominous sign for football’s future.

But really, it seems to come down to a gut feeling that the games themselves just aren’t as well-played or compelling or as aesthetically pleasing as they used to be. Everyone has a theory as to why. Too many interruptions — commercials, replay reviews, etc. —- that disrupt the flow.
Too many rule changes designed to help the offense. Too much reliance on a short, risk-averse passing game, and too much conservative play-calling in general.
Too few good quarterbacks.
Too much restriction on padded practices ( which is designed to protect players health) has hampered the development of offensive linemen with their play agreed to be at an all-time low.
It seems the players have taken over the GAME. But, is it really a GAME anymore or a money-making slick media production ????

Cali512
09-22-2017, 12:48 AM
The NFL has major issues that seem to be converging at once to form a cesspool of negativity. Television ratings were down last season and have been falling his year. The polarizing national anthem protests and now black-power salutes when a white player is tackled certainly are a part of the mix (Michael Bennett - Seahawks).

So is the rising price of attending the game that serves to disenfranchise the average fan. And, the growing debate over concussions and head trauma has cast a pall over the sport at all levels and led to a decline in youth participation. That’s an extremely ominous sign for football’s future.

But really, it seems to come down to a gut feeling that the games themselves just aren’t as well-played or compelling or as aesthetically pleasing as they used to be. Everyone has a theory as to why. Too many interruptions — commercials, replay reviews, etc. —- that disrupt the flow.
Too many rule changes designed to help the offense. Too much reliance on a short, risk-averse passing game, and too much conservative play-calling in general.
Too few good quarterbacks.
Too much restriction on padded practices ( which is designed to protect players health) has hampered the development of offensive linemen with their play agreed to be at an all-time low.
It seems the players have taken over the GAME. But, is it really a GAME anymore or a money-making slick media production ????

Its the annoyance of games. The NFL has become annoying to watch. Personalities are not allowed to be showcased like they used to, no one can celebrate, the violence is at an all time low. I spend most Sundays being annoyed, not just at bills games but every game. I used to only get emotional about stupid calls vs buffalo, but now I even get mad at calls vs other teams, sometimes even ones we are playing. I'm sick of penalties being called that shouldn't, and every rule to protect the player isn't that even called evenly. I'm sick of officials not letting turnovers fully play out, there is no reason to blow a play dead during a fumble because all turnovers are reviewable.

Kick returns and punt returns used to be some of the most exciting parts of the NFL. The NFL literally made Devin Hester useless if he came out now, which is so depressing to think about. There can never be another Devin Hester, its literally impossible now. If Hester just came out of the draft no one would of ever cared about him. Its amazing that the NFL can actually do this to the game. Also the NFL is trying disparately to make the passing game better and as easy as possible, but it handicaps defenses now.

Also the stupid relocating is getting out of control, and the fact that people say Jerry Jones was a major force in getting a team in LA bothers the **** out of me. Why should any owner have any say in where any other team plays? Meanwhile Jacksonville who has been a huge failure is still where they are. I've heard that the NFL is talking about a london team, which is stupid as **** and proves all they care about is money. The fact that 2 of the greatest franchises of the past 20 years were forced to move is downright sickening. STL and Oakland had a great fan bases and their fans were all over the country. I've met fans of both teams that loved their teams to death, and now the NFL used them for a marketing opportunity. Oakland may win a superbowl then immediately move to LV, which just is wrong

alohabillsfan
09-22-2017, 02:14 AM
Great points from both of you! I agree 1000% on the overuse and inconsistent penalties! Now it's confusing to call a completed pass!!! It use to be easy, hands on the ball, both feet in bounds... now, hands on ball, both feet in bounds, total control of ball to ground or a football move, (whatever the **** that is). It's stupid !

imbondz
09-22-2017, 03:12 AM
Only a matter of time until football is on the same level as boxing. It’ll become a niche sport. All because of the reasons you all stated above. 100% agree. My wife bought me tickets to the Bills/Atlanta game for my birthday. New stadium, ticket prices were ridiculous. If I never go to a game again I won’t care.

Skooby
09-22-2017, 05:18 AM
Our team has sucked for almost 2 decades and it's boring to watch eventual losses.....

YardRat
09-22-2017, 05:31 AM
Just another example of the widening gap between the haves and have nots.

feldspar
09-22-2017, 08:03 AM
Gotta say that I'm getting a little sick of it too...that's all.

I have my own life. A guy catches a pass, the refs make a bad call...blah, blah, blah. My life is still what it is regardless of sporting events.

No rationale to care in the first place. Must be the cool logo on the helmet. Do they really represent my home-town? How come? They'll bolt for more money.

I don't even hate other teams that much anymore. I think the NFL will sink a bit. The elephant in the room is gambling, and to lesser degree fantasy football, which you can also wager on.

streetkings01
09-22-2017, 08:14 AM
TV rating are down because fans have found different ways to watch games. Nobody wants to pay these crazy ticket prices or NFL Sunday Ticket prices for a bad product.

alohabillsfan
09-22-2017, 10:00 AM
While the hip new young NFL fans love their fantasy football it does not even come close to the allegiance us veterans devote for our team!

alohabillsfan
09-22-2017, 10:10 AM
Oh ****... and lastly, the announcers are horrible!

Thurmal
09-22-2017, 10:10 AM
The officials are terrible and WAY too visible. Look at last night -- the best game of the year, and it gets decided on a ticky-tack offensive PI call. Not only have they ruined kickoffs with the new rule, but even if a guy actually gets a chance to return one (or a punt return) and actually breaks it -- arguably the most exciting play in all of football -- there is probably a 65% chance it's coming back on some penalty called 30 yards away from the carrier. Holding and PI calls are completely arbitrary, safeties now get penalized for breaking up passes, no one knows what constitutes a catch, you can't hit the quarterback unless you're actively in the process of sacking him, etc. Flow of the game is ruined.

sukie
09-22-2017, 10:18 AM
As long as there is Vegas and Fantasy Football... the NFL will be fine. I agree on the following points:

Cost to attend is silly but with only 8 home games and 2 pre season games. I understand the prices especially with salaries being dolled out.

Concussion and parental reaction to them.. Less youth participation but it IS a payday for those with athletic talent. I feel that is valid but not a huge issue.

The kneeling and protests... Meh. Real football fans could care less.

Relocation... Only has an effect on those markets that got the rug pulled out from under them.

I feel the real reason ratings are down IS the different ways the game is viewed. Advertisers will still line up. even if ratings dropping... it was a high pedestal to fall from.

I think the entertainment level IS diminished with the rule changes but unfortunately most were necessary. physics can kill. Celebrations? Let it happen for the most part. Minor taunting? Who cares. It's a natural human reaction.

Pennywise
09-22-2017, 10:45 AM
TV rating are down because fans have found different ways to watch games. Nobody wants to pay these crazy ticket prices or NFL Sunday Ticket prices for a bad product.

I believe TVratings are down because it has become a very boring product. I still get the Sunday Ticket, but I am not newrly as enthused about football as I was even five years ago.

Mouldsie
09-22-2017, 11:16 AM
It's become too corporate

Generalissimus Gibby
09-22-2017, 12:16 PM
I believe TVratings are down because it has become a very boring product. I still get the Sunday Ticket, but I am not newrly as enthused about football as I was even five years ago.

If the Bills had made the post season four out of those five years and made a Superbowl would you still feel this way?

streetkings01
09-22-2017, 12:31 PM
I believe TVratings are down because it has become a very boring product. I still get the Sunday Ticket, but I am not newrly as enthused about football as I was even five years ago.The jailbroken fire stick has more to do with it.

streetkings01
09-22-2017, 12:32 PM
It seems as if I spend more time looking for flags then I do actually viewing the game.

DraftBoy
09-22-2017, 12:44 PM
They could improve ratings if they had a TV deal that allowed for more variety. It's ridiculous that an average NFL fan can only get four games on Sunday.

Wally The Barber
09-22-2017, 01:04 PM
As for concussions, its time to go back to the good ol days

Night Train
09-22-2017, 03:53 PM
I heard last nights ratings for the LA-SF game were quite good.

Fantasy football drives ratings.

feldspar
09-22-2017, 04:23 PM
As for concussions, its time to go back to the good ol days

I'll put that on before you give me a haircut, old boy.

DynaPaul
09-22-2017, 04:44 PM
No parity. Granted some teams have horrible front offices and are totally inept but the same teams are in it every year with maybe one or two surprise teams. Refs have clear biases and some teams who I won't mention (they're in our division) win with questionable talent and methods while the NFL only pursues fluff charges against them.

coastal
09-22-2017, 05:16 PM
At my company's annual meeting last year, we held a dinner in the Dallas Cowboy's practice complex.

it was a marbled cathedral... security was everywhere... only allowed to take pictures in verylimited locations. If you even snuck a phone out, security was on you with someone directing in their ear pieces. On our tour, we were shown their practice locker room. It was in the shape of a football and the most immaculate place you could imagine. Again... no pictures allowed in there. the whole complex is a multi-million dollar fiesta of disproportionality.

All of that... for athletes who were coddled to in HS and college and never asked once to earn it scholastically like the rest of us.

Blondie
09-22-2017, 05:25 PM
Coastal asked me to post this pic

https://blftpa.dm2301.livefilestore.com/y4mgRaSzFrQjzkOciFCtcfxxRr4XVzbdZ0lmCSHvC5RjzUwNy3BjOOZWJnYw-HcPvvT9iRddmaUTGDW5sVuXG324_sA6bE3nqJ5KcAcrUZGawHSjoOL6tQOhuOHfUA0mSrtZYvD2r214ZXlsqqdgDrmor8LwAVs6xHELKhdw4gJkhiLtcR7Ic1ht813LMXCxpFvSTwNXcFuVpHZBtBZLUkMjQ?width=660&height=473&cropmode=none

coastal
09-22-2017, 05:26 PM
One of the pics allowed

Pennywise
09-22-2017, 05:39 PM
If the Bills had made the post season four out of those five years and made a Superbowl would you still feel this way?

Every Bills game is exciting because they are my team.

The NFL product is boring. I'd rather watch a college game any day of the week if the Bills aren't involved.

BillsOwnAll
09-22-2017, 05:42 PM
It's becoming unwatchable, last night for example how can you root for an amazing comeback when you know the refs will eventually mess it up, then they say well they should have made plays earlier and not let it get to that point. But comebacks are
Part of the game.

And I would love to see a stat on how many punts have penalties it's got to be over 50%. Especially if the returns over 10 yards.

Lastly it's just about a QB now. You know the handful of teams that have a chance to win because there's only a handful of QBs who can win.

The nfl will not be forever. Maybe 20 more years

- - - Updated - - -

Vince McMahon was a little to early with the XFL

BLUTO
09-22-2017, 05:45 PM
I heard last nights ratings for the LA-SF game were quite good.

Fantasy football drives ratings.

Thursday Night games are CABLE TV only ratings.

Per Variety 9-21-17 CABLE HIGHLIGHTS: NFL Network’s THURSDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL fell 0.25 from last week’s game to 2.80.

Historian
09-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Only a matter of time until football is on the same level as boxing. It’ll become a niche sport. All because of the reasons you all stated above. 100% agree. My wife bought me tickets to the Bills/Atlanta game for my birthday. New stadium, ticket prices were ridiculous. If I never go to a game again I won’t care.

What did you pay Bondzi?

Just curious to know what tix cost in other markets.

imbondz
09-23-2017, 02:46 PM
What did you pay Bondzi?

Just curious to know what tix cost in other markets.

I’m not sure exactly cuz I was afraid to ask and I haven’t seen the credit card bill yet. I know they were over $100 each. But...my wife knows nothing about football, had no idea where to get seats in the stadium, has never been to an NFL game and wanted to surprise me for my birthday and get as good a seats as possible.

Normally I would not pay that much for a game. I’m fine with nosebleed seats unless it’s a Bills playoff game. lol.

psubills62
09-24-2017, 11:19 AM
College football is exponentially more fun to watch for multiple reasons.

Arm of Harm
09-24-2017, 05:08 PM
There are three sets of interests represented: the players, the owners, and the fans. Of the three groups the fans are in the weakest bargaining position. Apparently, the majority of those calling the shots have chosen to regard the fans with an increasingly difficult to conceal cynicism. The NFL and the networks continue making inroads on the things which cause fans to love the game. The overall approach is shallower. Football today is a collection of beer and SUV ads, hype, officiating delays, in-game marketing messages and in-game player branding, etc.

If the NFL wants to retain fans' interest, they need to get back to focusing on football. And they need to move away from all the stuff which has been distracting them from football.

sukie
09-25-2017, 02:11 PM
There are three sets of interests represented: the players, the owners, and the fans. Of the three groups the fans are in the weakest bargaining position. Apparently, the majority of those calling the shots have chosen to regard the fans with an increasingly difficult to conceal cynicism. The NFL and the networks continue making inroads on the things which cause fans to love the game. The overall approach is shallower. Football today is a collection of beer and SUV ads, hype, officiating delays, in-game marketing messages and in-game player branding, etc.

If the NFL wants to retain fans' interest, they need to get back to focusing on football. And they need to move away from all the stuff which has been distracting them from football.
Without the advertisers, tv contracts, in game ads and branding... who could afford a ticket?

endzone
09-25-2017, 05:28 PM
The NFL Owners are scared of their employees - especially the players. To make big money they need them but are afraid to tell them to stand-up, shut-up and act like men who are blessed to being making huge amounts of money just by playing a kids game.

Night Train
09-25-2017, 07:18 PM
No doom... but after yesterdays politics a bit of blowback in the ratings may happen.

The product is flag happy. I watch the Bills game and Redzone on Sunday. I watch TONS more college football.

Arm of Harm
09-25-2017, 08:06 PM
Without the advertisers, tv contracts, in game ads and branding... who could afford a ticket?

High school games don't have any of that stuff. Or if they do, it's only a minuscule percentage of what one associates with an NFL game. And yet . . high school games are very affordable. Far more than NFL games. Why? Because the players aren't paid anything.

NFL player salaries have gone up dramatically. In 1990, Joe Montana became the first player in NFL history (http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1990-12-12/sports/1990346110_1_million-montana-contract) to get paid more than $3 million a year. Derek Carr's contract pays him $25 million a year (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2674596-derek-carr-signs-raiders-contract-qb-reportedly-is-nfls-highest-paid-player). So we've seen a nearly tenfold expansion of player salaries in less than 20 years' time. That massive and needless expansion had to come at someone's expense. It came at the expense of the fans.

Football was far more enjoyable to watch in 1990 than it is today. That is not a coincidence.

kgun12
09-26-2017, 06:44 PM

Nice try to spin this, the rating were fine until Kaepernick started kneeling and the NFL started blackmailing states to vote certain way. This weekends stupidity by the players is going to bring out facts that the average voter didn't know. Example my secretary came in my office today and asked me if I knew how much these players made, the tax exemption teams get, and that tax payers pay for most of the stadium builds and renovations?

These idiots woke up the sleeping giant, the end is near, it's too bad these over priced uneducated athletes don't understand how well they had it. The more they speak the worse it's going to be! The best thing they could do is put out a statement, we made our stand and now we will not disgrace our flag anymore, however they're too stupid!

kgun12
09-26-2017, 06:51 PM
The NFL Owners are scared of their employees - especially the players. To make big money they need them but are afraid to tell them to stand-up, shut-up and act like men who are blessed to being making huge amounts of money just by playing a kids game.

This is why the owners backed the players Sunday, had they said you kneel you're fired, the players would have turned on them faster than they turned on Trump. TV ratings would fall, sponsorships would go away and the billionaire owners lose lots and lots of money! Pu$$ie$

kscdogbillsfan1221
09-26-2017, 06:59 PM
This is why the owners backed the players Sunday, had they said you kneel you're fired, the players would have turned on them faster than they turned on Trump. TV ratings would fall, sponsorships would go away and the billionaire owners lose lots and lots of money! Pu$$ie$
Correct
all the owners care about is money. Which is why they are billionaires.. Had they really given two ****s about 'social justice' then they wouldn't employ wife beaters, accused rapists, etc etc. And before some of you get your panties in a bunch... Yes, i know they aren't all criminals but you can't deny that they willfully and gainfully employ them so long as their talent exceeds their baggage. The fact of the matter is, owners don't like their money messed with (no one does really) and they know that although a large number of people will be pissed off, turned off etc to the whole protest the flag thing, overall the public will watch the games, go to the games etc so they aren't worried about losing from that standpoint. What they couldn't afford to do (in their mind) was piss of the players who in their mind are the most important part of the league.

DraftBoy
09-26-2017, 08:20 PM
No doom... but after yesterdays politics a bit of blowback in the ratings may happen.

The product is flag happy. I watch the Bills game and Redzone on Sunday. I watch TONS more college football.

Ratings were up 3% on the aggregate for the weekend + Monday, but something to watch. I expect this will give the NFL nice bump (sub 5%).

kgun12
09-26-2017, 09:54 PM
Ratings were up 3% on the aggregate for the weekend + Monday, but something to watch. I expect this will give the NFL nice bump (sub 5%).

See BillsImpossible new thread, no bump here! "Through three weeks, viewership for national telecasts of NFL games is down 11 percent this season compared to 2016, the Nielsen company said on Tuesday

DraftBoy
09-27-2017, 05:16 AM
See BillsImpossible new thread, no bump here! "Through three weeks, viewership for national telecasts of NFL games is down 11 percent this season compared to 2016, the Nielsen company said on Tuesday

I did and you know the difference between what he wrote and what I wrote, correct?

Historian
09-27-2017, 05:56 AM
See BillsImpossible new thread,

You're quoting BIMP?

You really wanna hitch your trailer to that one?

ticatfan
09-27-2017, 08:47 AM
The CFL is still fun, BUT they to have gone the route of pad less practice. But it is still a league played by people for fun not money. Now they all hope to get to the money league.

Bill Cody
09-27-2017, 09:16 AM
things I hate:
1) watching kicks/punts because you know there's like a 90% chance whatever happens there's a penalty. Those fouls should only be called if they have a direct bearing on the play which they usually don't.
2) leaving any team with a good QB time on the clock with a chance to win, you know they will, it's not drama
3) seeing a team get 40 yards on a ticky tack PI call. Should make it 15 like college.
4) the games take too long. Anything more than 3 hours is just stupid and makes for a boring experience
5) Monday night football used to be special. Now you have 3 nights a week of games and the matchups are often lousy. Thursday night football was a stupid overreach. It's hard on the players and the contests usually suck. The league is way overexposed.
6) If you don't have a top QB you're toast. Passing is too easy. I'd let the defenders make contact for 10 yards, that might make things a little harder. All these easy completions are boring.
7) Field goal kickers are way better than they used to be. Time to narrow the uprights.
8) this protest during the anthem thing is boring on both sides. Play the anthem before the players come out of the locker room or just skip the anthem and just end this.

DraftBoy
09-27-2017, 11:18 AM
things I hate:
1) watching kicks/punts because you know there's like a 90% chance whatever happens there's a penalty. Those fouls should only be called if they have a direct bearing on the play which they usually don't.
2) leaving any team with a good QB time on the clock with a chance to win, you know they will, it's not drama
3) seeing a team get 40 yards on a ticky tack PI call. Should make it 15 like college.
4) the games take too long. Anything more than 3 hours is just stupid and makes for a boring experience
5) Monday night football used to be special. Now you have 3 nights a week of games and the matchups are often lousy. Thursday night football was a stupid overreach. It's hard on the players and the contests usually suck. The league is way overexposed.
6) If you don't have a top QB you're toast. Passing is too easy. I'd let the defenders make contact for 10 yards, that might make things a little harder. All these easy completions are boring.
7) Field goal kickers are way better than they used to be. Time to narrow the uprights.
8) this protest during the anthem thing is boring on both sides. Play the anthem before the players come out of the locker room or just skip the anthem and just end this.

I would be interested in seeing #3, #5. #6, and #7 all happen.

They have to find a way to shorten the game. Three hours or more for a 60 minute football game is just stupid.

One of the things I enjoy so much about soccer is that every game takes the exact same amount of time. You know once you buy your ticket or turn on your TV that no matter what in about 2 hours it's going to be over.

Mr. Pink
09-27-2017, 11:48 AM
1. Kickoffs are absolutely pointless, most are touchbacks, just eliminate them. Punting is mostly pointless too, especially teams that punt on 4th and 1 from midfield.

2 and 6 are the same point. But 2 and 6 have always existed. It's not like Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, Sonny Jurgeson, Bart Starr, Norm Van Brocklin, Y.A. Title weren't studs. And shockingly enough the teams who had studs at QB, even way back in the day, were perennially good.

3. Making that penalty only 15 yards instead of spot of foul would make PI go up a ridiculous amount. You're 40 yards downfield and see the receiver has a step on you and the ball is in the air? Well just tackle him.

4. Never happen. Networks want their ad revenue. The longer they can stretch the game without pissing off the fans, the more money for them.

5. Completely agree. I'd get rid of all of these night games. It's nothing special anymore. However will never happen, see 4 and ad revenue for networks especially in prime time.

7. FGs are fine as they are. Making extra points longer was a good thing and shows you that 30 yard FGs aren't gimmes.

8. easy solution, if you don't like the protesting, just tune in at 1:15. Problem solved.

ticatfan
09-27-2017, 12:51 PM
1. Kickoffs are absolutely pointless, most are touchbacks, just eliminate them. Punting is mostly pointless too, especially teams that punt on 4th and 1 from midfield.

2 and 6 are the same point. But 2 and 6 have always existed. It's not like Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, Sonny Jurgeson, Bart Starr, Norm Van Brocklin, Y.A. Title weren't studs. And shockingly enough the teams who had studs at QB, even way back in the day, were perennially good.

3. Making that penalty only 15 yards instead of spot of foul would make PI go up a ridiculous amount. You're 40 yards downfield and see the receiver has a step on you and the ball is in the air? Well just tackle him.

4. Never happen. Networks want their ad revenue. The longer they can stretch the game without pissing off the fans, the more money for them.

5. Completely agree. I'd get rid of all of these night games. It's nothing special anymore. However will never happen, see 4 and ad revenue for networks especially in prime time.

7. FGs are fine as they are. Making extra points longer was a good thing and shows you that 30 yard FGs aren't gimmes.

8. easy solution, if you don't like the protesting, just tune in at 1:15. Problem solved.

1- Go the CFL route ,keep the game exciting. 5yrd rule.

Bill Cody
09-27-2017, 01:05 PM

Well it used to be ST's were exciting. Now with the penalties and where they kick off they aren't. Either stop calling the irrelevant penalties or bag it entirely.

I'm not saying the QB hasn't always been important. But you used to see teams win with mediocre QB's occasionally. Not any more. If you don't have a great QB you're toast now.

The 15 yard PI rule has been there forever in college and that hasn't happened.

I think fans ARE getting fed up with the length of games

https://thesportspost.com/nfl-most-improved-position-kicker/ FG's are no longer the suspenseful play they used to be when over 85% are now good, up from just over half 50 years ago. What's exciting about that?

Yeah I guess. But that doesn't eliminate the controversy or the implications of the protest. Football used to be a refuge from politics

BLUTO
09-27-2017, 05:21 PM
Well it used to be ST's were exciting. Now with the penalties and where they kick off they aren't. Either stop calling the irrelevant penalties or bag it entirely.

I'm not saying the QB hasn't always been important. But you used to see teams win with mediocre QB's occasionally. Not any more. If you don't have a great QB you're toast now.

The 15 yard PI rule has been there forever in college and that hasn't happened.

I think fans ARE getting fed up with the length of games

https://thesportspost.com/nfl-most-improved-position-kicker/ FG's are no longer the suspenseful play they used to be when over 85% are now good, up from just over half 50 years ago. What's exciting about that?

Yeah I guess. But that doesn't eliminate the controversy or the implications of the protest. Football used to be a refuge from politics

I think the 15 yard penalty for pass interference would be a great rule change.

WagonCircler
09-28-2017, 09:06 AM
I think the 15 yard penalty for pass interference would be a great rule change.

I disagree. It would drastically reduce the number of 20+ yard pass plays. Once a DB gets beat after 15 yards, they would just mug the WR.

I think it would be better to have two penalties. One for impeding the receiver's path (downfield) or bumping, and one for blatant interference, i.e. grabbing, tackling.

DraftBoy
09-28-2017, 09:49 AM
I disagree. It would drastically reduce the number of 20+ yard pass plays. Once a DB gets beat after 15 yards, they would just mug the WR.

I think it would be better to have two penalties. One for impeding the receiver's path (downfield) or bumping, and one for blatant interference, i.e. grabbing, tackling.
I'd be ok with that, but do we really want to put more ambiguity into the referee's jobs?

Also I've heard that a lot as a reason to not change the DPI call, but the college game is similar and there isn't an epidemic of college WR's getting mugged down the field.

DesertFox24
09-28-2017, 09:57 AM
I believe the ratings are down because most people are finally realizing unless you have Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Big Ben, or a good rookie deal QB with a stellar defense your team has zero chance to win the super bowl. This has to do with the rules of the game and how defenses cannot stop the passing attacks of offenses like Tom Brady etc...

Additionally the players are constantly changing and I am an advocate for free agency but it makes it hard to be a fan when you are constantly getting new players and fan favorites are leaving for bigger deals.

I am not even talking about teams like the Browns and Bills that change coaches and schemes every two years so we are constantly churning our roster.