PDA

View Full Version : Hughes offering blistering criticism of Jimbo, saying his actions divided the team

SpikedLemonade
09-25-2017, 05:10 PM
Jay Skurski‏Verified account @JaySkurski (https://twitter.com/JaySkurski)<button type="button" class=" EdgeButton EdgeButton--secondary EdgeButton--medium button-text follow-text" style="color: rgb(29, 161, 242); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: bold; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 14px; line-height: 20px; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background: rgb(255, 255, 255); border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(29, 161, 242); padding: 6px 16px; transition: box-shadow 0.15s ease-in-out; border-radius: 100px; box-shadow: none; position: relative; white-space: nowrap; display: block; min-width: 105px;">Follow</button>

<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover dropdown-toggle js-dropdown-toggle" type="button" aria-haspopup="true" style="color: rgb(101, 119, 134); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px 0px 0px 9px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; padding-right: 9px; padding-bottom: 2px; padding-left: 9px; transition: box-shadow 0.15s ease-in-out; position: relative;">More
</button>

Jerry Hughes offering blistering criticism of Jim Kelly, saying his actions Sunday divided the team. #Bills (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash)

-----------------

Seems to me that the drunk should have just shut up rather than fluffing Trump.

Jim Kelly was a crappy leader then and is even a worst human being now.

camelcowboy
09-25-2017, 05:16 PM
**** Hughes, let me know when this band of turds make a playoff game.

jimmifli
09-25-2017, 05:25 PM
I think it speaks to racial divide.

When Jim got in trouble he signed a few balls and the cops drove him home... what's to protest about that?

camelcowboy
09-25-2017, 05:34 PM

When Jim got in trouble he signed a few balls and the cops drove him home... what's to protest about that?
Yeah because darius was kicked out of the league and never became the highest paid bill in history because he made bad decisions... the inequality

Thurmal
09-25-2017, 05:35 PM
This is the supposed party of tolerance, folks. "I embrace all types of ideas as long as they align with my own. Any others will be shunned or, better yet, silenced." This is why, when they talk about wanting to have an "open dialogue on race;" you laugh in their face. They only want to give their side and not hear anyone else's.

Screw Jerry Hughes. Jim Kelly is a legend; you're a player on a horrible team who is most famous for getting stupid personal foul penalties.

BertSquirtgum
09-25-2017, 05:43 PM
#****YouJerryHughes

YardRat
09-25-2017, 05:46 PM
Yeah, well, here we go...if Kelly really cared about this team and helping them re-establish themselves as a title contender he might have been better off toeing the new company line instead of making waves.

Thurmal
09-25-2017, 05:49 PM
Yeah, well, here we go...if Kelly really cared about this team and helping them re-establish themselves as a title contender he might have been better off toeing the new company line instead of making waves.

He put his hand on his heart and took his hat off during the National Anthem -- like anyone who is not a complete turd ought to do. How is that not toeing the company line or making waves? These idiots technically have every right to take a knee or whatever, but that DOES NOT mean that everyone else should be forced to fall in with their BS.

Mr. Pink
09-25-2017, 05:50 PM
And here is where all of this could become a major problem for the NFL.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/09/louisiana_lawmaker_saints_shou.html#incart_river_index

alohabillsfan
09-25-2017, 06:00 PM
Good luck to owners wanting tax payer cash for stadiums!

Scumbag College
09-25-2017, 06:00 PM
I just watched the two minute clip on Twitter from Hughes and he put forth a pretty rational statement about how Kelly coming out publicly really wasn't helping the team and might be counterproductive. Wasn't disrespectful to Jimbo in the least bit in my eyes.

jimmifli
09-25-2017, 06:08 PM
“I was very disappointed in him,” Hughes said on Monday. “I was very disappointed in how he approached the whole situation. Our team came together and united as a front, as a whole organization on how exactly we were going to approach the national anthem. If Jim [Kelly] was going to do what he did, then he should have come to the team and let us know his feelings and let us know how he was doing the national anthem because we didn’t know he was going to be there, from a team perspective.”

“I’m really confused and really upset because if this is truly what he felt what was in his heart, he should have come to the team and he should have approached that instead of making that a public matter instead of doing that on his social page. It’s not cool, very unacceptable and if he has something to say about it, come talk to us.“That doesn’t sit well with me, I won’t speak for everyone in our locker room, but that doesn’t sit well with me at all. because we came together as a team and discussed what we were going to do for the national anthem. For him to walk on come on the sidelines and do what he did was completely unacceptable. If you feel a certain type of way, come to the team and address it.”

“ If he wants to provide any words of encouragement, please, by all means, do that. But by dividing us, dividing the team, that doesn’t work.”

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/09/25/jerry-hughes-blasts-jim-kelly-for-comments-on-bills-protests/

sahlensguy
09-25-2017, 06:12 PM
This is what I said in the other thread. Jim Kelly should not have gone to the press with his negative personal opinion about a Buffalo Bill. No law was broken.

jimmifli
09-25-2017, 06:14 PM
I agree with Jerry. It was a controversy that was thrust upon each team. The Bills players and management got together, worked out a plan that everyone was comfortable with.

Jim shows up on the sidelines, contradicts the team's decision to kneel, then criticizes them in the media - all without making any effort to share his opinion with the team prior slamming them in the media.

I understand why Hughes is upset. It's one thing for old players to act as ambassadors, but when they start throwing grenades it's time to get them off the sidelines.

Scumbag College
09-25-2017, 06:23 PM
I agree with Jerry. It was a controversy that was thrust upon each team. The Bills players and management got together, worked out a plan that everyone was comfortable with.

Jim shows up on the sidelines, contradicts the team's decision to kneel, then criticizes them in the media - all without making any effort to share his opinion with the team prior slamming them in the media.

I understand why Hughes is upset. It's one thing for old players to act as ambassadors, but when they start throwing grenades it's time to get them off the sidelines.

Thank you...media organizations oftentimes give misleading headlines as click bait. I know that I fell for this just now in reading the article and listening to Hughes' comments.

Hughes' comments weren't "blistering." Instead of airing a difference of opinion in person, Jim went through social media and the radio to voice his problems with players, Shady in particular. I'd be irked if someone in the same organization I worked in did that to me.

sahlensguy
09-25-2017, 06:23 PM

Supposedly all NFL teams were in the tunnel during national anthems prior to 2009. This means that Kelly never even was on the sideline during them when he was a player. He's out of line on this one.

coastal
09-25-2017, 06:24 PM
It's always fun when the town drunk spouts off.

BillsImpossible
09-25-2017, 06:27 PM
https://static.infowars.com/politicalsidebarimage/nfl-rip.jpg

jimmifli
09-25-2017, 06:38 PM
Thank you...media organizations oftentimes give misleading headlines as click bait. I know that I fell for this just now in reading the article and listening to Hughes' comments.

Hughes' comments weren't "blistering." Instead of airing a difference of opinion in person, Jim went through social media and the radio to voice his problems with players, Shady in particular. I'd be irked if someone in the same organization I worked in did that to me.

Gotta sell those clicks...

But Jerry seems like a level headed dude, his criticism is fair and it sucks to see his reasonable opinion reported this way.

BillsImpossible
09-25-2017, 06:42 PM
Did any player in the NFL speak out against Colin Kaepernick after he wore socks depicting cops as pigs?

https://sportshub.cbsistatic.com/i/r/2016/09/01/40547605-e7b5-4d8a-ace4-608263f4c6dd/resize/670x377/c23a3fa0efaa8e6ba60bf0b568ba153d/kaepernick-socks-cops-08-31-16.png

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/look-colin-kaepernicks-practice-socks-appear-to-disrespect-the-police/

Did any player in the league speak out against Colin Kaepernick after he wore a t-shirt showing Fidel Castro with the words, "Great minds think alike," beneath?

https://cdn1.ijr.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/castro-638x330.jpg

http://ijr.com/2016/08/683250-kaepernick-wears-fidel-castro-t-shirt-on-tv-cuban-who-fidel-tortured-gives-him-a-piece-of-his-mind/

Any words of wisdom about this, Jerry?

Goobylal
09-25-2017, 06:48 PM
Kaepernick showed what an idiot he is by wearing that Castro T-shirt. And continuing to do something that over half the country disagrees with is the definition of divisive.

YardRat
09-25-2017, 06:50 PM
He put his hand on his heart and took his hat off during the National Anthem -- like anyone who is not a complete turd ought to do. How is that not toeing the company line or making waves? These idiots technically have every right to take a knee or whatever, but that DOES NOT mean that everyone else should be forced to fall in with their BS.

I would reply in greater detail, but Hughes' own words as provided by jimmi in post #12 are more than sufficient.

If Jim doesn't want to be a part of the new culture than he should remove himself or face being removed by others.

k-oneputt
09-25-2017, 06:50 PM
So all these idiots are allowed to express their views on a national platform but if Jim does it he's wrong ?
F THEM.

ICRockets
09-25-2017, 06:52 PM
Yeah because darius was kicked out of the league and never became the highest paid bill in history because he made bad decisions... the inequality

....you're using the NFL's disciplinary standards to argue against a point that could not be more explicitly referring to ACTUAL law enforcement?

SpikedLemonade
09-25-2017, 06:55 PM

Jim, as always, only cares about himself.

Turf
09-25-2017, 06:56 PM
The media won't stop until it starts WWIII.

ICRockets
09-25-2017, 06:58 PM
The media won't stop until it starts WWIII.

This is accurate, but if you think kneeling during the national anthem will have anything to do with it you're dumber than our President.

SpikedLemonade
09-25-2017, 06:59 PM
I would reply in greater detail, but Hughes' own words as provided by jimmi in post #12 are more than sufficient.

If Jim doesn't want to be a part of the new culture than he should remove himself or face being removed by others.

I agree -- Jim's face should be removed....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDnW5XxjwI8

kishoph
09-25-2017, 07:12 PM
Hughes talks about them coming together as a team and discussing what they were going to do during the anthem. In a interview today Eric Wood said they agreed they would all stand and interlock arms as a sign of unity. Maybe McCoy and others are the ones that couldn't care about team unity.

k-oneputt
09-25-2017, 07:19 PM
Well of course because it doesn't agree with THEIR views.
If Jim was in line with their thinking all would be fine with Jim on the sideline.

BillsImpossible
09-25-2017, 07:24 PM

This response reminds me of a program I watched last night on CNN about North Korea. "Secret State."

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9C0zTmjMxEg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

YardRat
09-25-2017, 07:31 PM
I think some of you need to step back and re-think the concept of 'team', because obviously you've forgotten, or maybe never understood it to begin with.

Night Train
09-25-2017, 07:44 PM
I think some of you need to step back and re-think the concept of 'team', because obviously you've forgotten, or maybe never understood it to begin with.

Well said. Being white as rice doesn't mean I automatically had it better than every athlete of color.

I grew up poor and did 2 tours in the Navy. I didn't enjoy sitting in the Persian Gulf 27 years back, being shot at. My point is we all look at things differently and I respect that. Dodn't have a big issue with the kneeling, just disappointed I suppose. But Shady doing jumping jacks and stretches during the anthem was a bad look. Don't minimize it. That's BS.

cookie G
09-25-2017, 07:55 PM
I should be outraged about a fellow poster..
who's outraged about Jerry Hughes
who's outraged about Kelly
who's outraged about Shady
who's outraged about Trump
who's outraged about NFL players
who are outraged that Colin Kaepernick is blacklisted
who is outraged at law enforcement
who are outraged about someone being outraged at whatever outrageous actions they might have taken.

this could go on forever.

ParanoidAndroid
09-25-2017, 07:55 PM
All of you people who are so upset just fell for exactly what Trump wanted. This was a calculated ploy to incite anger and nationalistic fervor. It's so damn obvious. He cannot exist as president or be re-elected without it and he knows it. I wish people weren't so dang gullible. And Shannon Sharpe was right. For a lot of these players that kneeled (McCoy stretched showing he couldn't care less), this was more about ego than about a protest of social injustice. Kaepernick is head and shoulders above any of these dopes. So people didn't like how he protested. Fine. But are you really going to let a bull**** artist like Trump pander to this to get a vote? Of course you are, because you're gullible. As for Jim, he can do better and he will.

kishoph
09-25-2017, 07:59 PM
I should be outraged about a fellow poster..
who's outraged about Jerry Hughes
who's outraged about Kelly
who's outraged about Shady
who's outraged about Trump
who's outraged about NFL players
who are outraged that Colin Kaepernick is blacklisted
who is outraged at law enforcement
who are outraged about someone being outraged at whatever outrageous actions they might have taken.

this could go on forever.

That's outrageous.

DraftBoy
09-25-2017, 08:02 PM
That's outrageous.

I'm outraged over your outrage over why Cookie is supposed to be outraged.

cookie G
09-25-2017, 08:02 PM
That's outrageous.

I like you, but I've lost a great deal of respect for calling my outrage outrageous.

DraftBoy
09-25-2017, 08:09 PM

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/09/louisiana_lawmaker_saints_shou.html#incart_river_index

Might want to read up on the guy who offered this law before saying this where it becomes a major problem for the NFL. Same rep introduced a bill to mandate that strippers can't be older than 28 or weigh more than 160 pounds.

He's a second term state legislature with no sway or leadership position.

jimmifli
09-25-2017, 08:09 PM
That's outrageous.

Truly.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YSLhrIuAZak" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cookie G
09-25-2017, 08:14 PM
M Same rep introduced a bill to mandate that strippers can't be older than 28 or weigh more than 160 pounds.

Is that such a bad law?

BillsImpossible
09-25-2017, 08:25 PM

Tell that to the Steelers offensive line that said they would stand with the most famous man in American sports today, Alejandro Villanueva.

Welcome to the New House, YardRat.

DraftBoy
09-25-2017, 08:27 PM
Is that such a bad law?

Whatever floats your boat has always been my motto.

BillsImpossible
09-25-2017, 08:28 PM
I'm on Team USA.

Who's not?

stuckincincy
09-25-2017, 08:30 PM
Is that such a bad law?

I can see the upside.

YardRat
09-25-2017, 08:32 PM
Tell that to the Steelers offensive line that said they would stand with the most famous man in American sports today, Alejandro Villanueva.

The 'New House' is McDermott and Co trying to build a new culture, a new attitude, that focuses on team over individual. That's what wins football games.

Get on board, or GTFO, and nobody is above that, even Jim Kelly.

Jimbo certainly has the freedom to say what he wants, when he wants...just like anybody else. He also has to understand that his comments and actions could have consequences, and if those comments or actions are determined to be detrimental to the team than they should remove him from having access.

BillsImpossible
09-25-2017, 08:42 PM
The 'New House' is McDermott and Co trying to build a new culture, a new attitude, that focuses on team over individual. That's what wins football games.

Jimbo certainly has the freedom to say what he wants, when he wants...just like anybody else. He also has to understand that his comments and actions could have consequences, and if those comments or actions are determined to be detrimental to the team than they should remove him from having access.

You've gone bananas.

BillsImpossible
09-25-2017, 08:48 PM
So you agree with Mike Tomlin's statement about Alejandro Villanueva, YardRat?

“Like I said, I was looking for 100 percent participation, we were gonna be respectful of our football team,” Tomlin said when asked about Villanueva ignoring the order and coming out for the anthem.

Goobylal
09-25-2017, 09:02 PM
Maybe the rest of the Steelers should have left the lockerroom before the end of the game.

Pennywise
09-25-2017, 09:11 PM
This is what I said in the other thread. Jim Kelly should not have gone to the press with his negative personal opinion about a Buffalo Bill. No law was broken.

Why shouldn't he have? Jim Kelly can speak his mind in public just like the players can take a knee, or do stretches, or pick their nose. Freedom of speech is a two way street. Opposition is a real thing.

Pennywise
09-25-2017, 09:18 PM

And how do you think that would go over with the fanbase?

I'm being serious.

Today, the Buffalo Bills would like to announce we are cutting all ties with Jim Kelly because he went public with his unfavorable comments concerning the teams "united" protest.

I actually hope that happens. I want to see the fallout.

jimmifli
09-25-2017, 09:21 PM
Whatever floats your boat has always been my motto.

That's a big boat though.

Novacane
09-25-2017, 09:26 PM
This needs to end soon for both sides sake. The constant bickering is already taking the fun out of the game. If it doesn't stop the NFL is committing suicide IMO.

YardRat
09-25-2017, 09:26 PM
And how do you think that would go over with the fanbase?

I'm being serious.

Today, the Buffalo Bills would like to announce we are cutting all ties with Jim Kelly because he went public with his unfavorable comments concerning the teams "united" protest.

I actually hope that happens. I want to see the fallout.

It's a good point, probably the same as it's going over here on the forums regarding the comments. If the team wins games, though, nobody will care about it.

If fans had a choice between keeping Kelly involved with the team OR making the playoffs, I'm pretty confident what most would vote for.

Mr. Pink
09-25-2017, 09:33 PM
Might want to read up on the guy who offered this law before saying this where it becomes a major problem for the NFL. Same rep introduced a bill to mandate that strippers can't be older than 28 or weigh more than 160 pounds.

He's a second term state legislature with no sway or leadership position.

Again I said could, did not say will.

If this were to happen you'd have states that would be unable to sustain NFL football. Teams wouldn't go there and the teams that are there presently would end up moving once it was their turn for a new stadium.

It's an issue, even if you want to quickly dismiss it.

DraftBoy
09-25-2017, 10:02 PM
Again I said could, did not say will.

If this were to happen you'd have states that would be unable to sustain NFL football. Teams wouldn't go there and the teams that are there presently would end up moving once it was their turn for a new stadium.

It's an issue, even if you want to quickly dismiss it.

No, it's a crack pot idea by attention seeking junior state rep that means nothing.

sahlensguy
09-25-2017, 10:27 PM
Why shouldn't he have? Jim Kelly can speak his mind in public just like the players can take a knee, or do stretches, or pick their nose. Freedom of speech is a two way street. Opposition is a real thing.

Of course Jimbo has the right to say what he said. But just because you have the right to do something, it doesn't mean that you should.

The negative personal remarks about a law abiding Buffalo Bill should have stayed in house and Kelly as much as anyone should understand that. Going public with them only puts more of a spotlight on Shady, who's teammates now have to deal with the distraction. The lockeroom is less strong after a big win due to Kelly's big mouth. The results will manifest themselves next gameday.

Mouldsie
09-25-2017, 11:46 PM
All of you people who are so upset just fell for exactly what Trump wanted. This was a calculated ploy to incite anger and nationalistic fervor. It's so damn obvious. He cannot exist as president or be re-elected without it and he knows it. I wish people weren't so dang gullible. And Shannon Sharpe was right. For a lot of these players that kneeled (McCoy stretched showing he couldn't care less), this was more about ego than about a protest of social injustice. Kaepernick is head and shoulders above any of these dopes. So people didn't like how he protested. Fine. But are you really going to let a bull**** artist like Trump pander to this to get a vote? Of course you are, because you're gullible. As for Jim, he can do better and he will.

Shannon Sharpe had a lot of interesting things to say:
https://twitter.com/SportyByNature/status/912337429683679233

WagonCircler
09-25-2017, 11:46 PM

Oh my GOD. Spoken like a person who has zero idea how many times Bruce and Thurman and Darryl and Biscuit got rides home and hall passes from cops.

You think you know. But you don't know.

ICRockets
09-26-2017, 01:18 AM
Oh my GOD. Spoken like a person who has zero idea how many times Bruce and Thurman and Darryl and Biscuit got rides home and hall passes from cops.

You think you know. But you don't know.

And it wouldn't surprise me if Kaep himself received similar preferential treatment, but that's not even remotely relevant. They did so because they're rich and famous. Kaep didn't start protesting for himself, you dimwit. He did it because he had a platform that many who are not so privileged will never have.

SpikedLemonade
09-26-2017, 03:50 AM
That's a big boat though.

In this case, the cruise ship of a declining and decaying American society.

SpikedLemonade
09-26-2017, 04:14 AM

It sure does.

BertSquirtgum
09-26-2017, 05:52 AM
Let's talk football. Politics are for pussies.

Historian
09-26-2017, 07:23 AM

This.

Do we really need any of the alumni on an already crowded sideline in the first place? (any of them)

At the very least they should be relegated to the broadcast booth. Go ahead, pontificate all you want up there.

I feel for McDermott.

He's trying to build something here, and crap like this simply doesn't help.

SpikedLemonade
09-26-2017, 07:42 AM
This.

Do we really need any of the alumni on an already crowded sideline in the first place? (any of them)

At the very least they should be relegated to the broadcast booth. Go ahead, pontificate all you want up there.

I feel for McDermott.

He's trying to build something here, and crap like this simply doesn't help.

Jimbo is only there for the free drinks.

sahlensguy
09-26-2017, 07:58 AM
Let's talk football. Politics are for pussies.

We're here because of Jim Kelly.

SpikedLemonade
09-26-2017, 08:17 AM
We're here because of Jim Kelly.

Both in this thread and 4 time consecutive Super Bowl losers.

Damn drunk!

jlgarsh
09-26-2017, 09:21 AM

You might want to read what Villanueva said about the situation. He was out there by himself due to a miscommunication.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20819284/alejandro-villanueva-pittsburgh-steelers-standing-alone-intentional

SpikedLemonade
09-26-2017, 10:08 AM
You might want to read what Villanueva said about the situation. He was out there by himself due to a miscommunication.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20819284/alejandro-villanueva-pittsburgh-steelers-standing-alone-intentional

Did you really ask BillsImpossible to read?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUDmG4Fi3sY

sukie
09-26-2017, 10:17 AM

That is alot of cash

Mr. Pink
09-26-2017, 07:45 PM
and some more issues that could potentially hit the NFL and the fans themselves down the line...

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017/09/26/directv-allows-some-nfl-refunds-after-anthem-controversy.html

Mouldsie
09-27-2017, 11:44 AM
Funny thing is Kaepernick got black-balled by the league... most NFL owners were prob Trump voters... and they just wanted to silently ignore the issue and not bring attention to it (for the financial reason seen above). Trump attacked the shield and that's the only reason we saw the reaction we saw.

NFL shield > Human lives or injustice.

They're between a rock and a hard place now

DraftBoy
09-27-2017, 11:46 AM
McCoy on Kelly's Comments...

"Like I texted him, he said some things to the media that he probably could have said to me," McCoy said. "But his opinion, it really doesn't matter to me. I like Jim Kelly. He texts me and I just told him, 'Hey, you're human.' People have their own opinions. What you said, you don't have to apologize for it. I don't think you're wrong. That's how he felt. I understand. You're human and I told him exactly, 'My respect for you, it hasn't changed. It's still very high.' He's a hell of a player and I respected him when I met him, and even the relationship I have so far. So it didn't affect me at all."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20836760/lesean-mccoy-buffalo-bills-jim-kelly-apologize-for

Classy.

Mr. Pink
09-27-2017, 11:53 AM
Funny thing is Kaepernick got black-balled by the league... most NFL owners were prob Trump voters... and they just wanted to silently ignore the issue and not bring attention to it (for the financial reason seen above). Trump attacked the shield and that's the only reason we saw the reaction we saw.

NFL shield > Human lives or injustice.

They're between a rock and a hard place now

It's absolutely for financial reasons that the NFL didn't want to be at the forefront of this issue.

There are people on this board who are highly dismissive of all of this and the financial loss the NFL could sustain due to this ridiculousness but it's there.

And it's there to the individual players as well.

Brandon Marshall on the Broncos lost two endorsement deals because of kneeling before and one of Von Miller's current endorsement deals has decided to stop negotiating with him to extend it.

sahlensguy
09-27-2017, 11:57 AM
McCoy on Kelly's Comments...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20836760/lesean-mccoy-buffalo-bills-jim-kelly-apologize-for

Classy.

Spot on. Kelly shouldn't have gone public with it. I think Shady was the bigger person in this case.

Historian
09-27-2017, 12:11 PM
Somebody tweeted last night that Kelly is beginning to remind them of that guy "who graduated three years ago, but still hangs out up at the high school"

I thought it was funny.

DraftBoy
09-27-2017, 12:20 PM
It's absolutely for financial reasons that the NFL didn't want to be at the forefront of this issue.

There are people on this board who are highly dismissive of all of this and the financial loss the NFL could sustain due to this ridiculousness but it's there.

And it's there to the individual players as well.

Brandon Marshall on the Broncos lost two endorsement deals because of kneeling before and one of Von Miller's current endorsement deals has decided to stop negotiating with him to extend it.

Marshall also got a new endorsement deal that covered the losses and with Miller the endorsement deal he lost expired in March and they were discussing a renewal of the previous. He didn't lose anything he had at the time of his protest.

Mr. Pink
09-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Marshall also got a new endorsement deal that covered the losses and with Miller the endorsement deal he lost expired in March and they were discussing a renewal of the previous. He didn't lose anything he had at the time of his protest.

And now they're no longer discussing it.

And again you're being completely dismissive over the negative affects all of this has the potential to cause.

Lemme guess, DirecTV offering full refunds to people who cancel their Sunday Ticket if they cite the kneeling as their reason is also no big deal.

ICRockets
09-27-2017, 02:37 PM

And again you're being completely dismissive over the negative affects all of this has the potential to cause.

Lemme guess, DirecTV offering full refunds to people who cancel their Sunday Ticket if they cite the kneeling as their reason is also no big deal.

How many subscribers do they have? How many refunds did they give out?

DraftBoy
09-27-2017, 03:18 PM

Which I said, but he didn't lose something he had. The endorsement had run out already.

I'm not being dismissive, I'm presenting the remainder of the partial story that is being told.

No, I think that is a pertinent iteam and a poor business decision by them.

alohabillsfan
09-27-2017, 03:26 PM
No, I think that is a pertinent iteam and a poor business decision by them.[/QUOTE]

Its a smart business decision, Better to allow people to drop just the ticket, than to have them cancel direct tv and go with cable, dish, or stream. Most will probably come back next year anyways.

DraftBoy
09-27-2017, 04:03 PM
Its a smart business decision, Better to allow people to drop just the ticket, than to have them cancel direct tv and go with cable, dish, or stream. Most will probably come back next year anyways.

I don't think one person has either threatened to or taken steps to cancel their entire cable package over this. People are that upset about this that they are going to punish themselves by cutting all of their TV?

I say that as somebody who hasn't had cable for more than 2 years.

Mr. Pink
09-27-2017, 04:15 PM
I don't think one person has either threatened to or taken steps to cancel their entire cable package over this. People are that upset about this that they are going to punish themselves by cutting all of their TV?

No one said they're gonna cut all of their TV. There are other options out there and DirecTV isn't the only one. It's a good business decision by them, and likely came because people threatened to cancel their entire service.

It's a bad decision for fans and for the NFL though.

If DirecTV loses enough subscriptions, they decide running the Sunday Ticket is no longer economically viable to sustain, they then cancel their contract with the NFL or simply choose not to renew it. No other subscriber picks up the Sunday Ticket because of this and then there is no more Sunday Ticket. The fans lose because they cannot watch their team every Sunday out of market and the NFL loses likely a huge chunk of cash. Then the players lose because there's less money going into the salary cap which drives down their pay.

Add in the other issues you've just completely dismissed with some states maybe not publicly funding anything NFL related and players losing endorsements and you've shrunk the league, shrunk the pay scale and likely shrunk some of the playing base overall.

All of this could happen. Not will, not won't but could. And it's really idiotic to just completely dismiss all of it as some silly senator, or x player just picked up another endorsement to cover it, or DirecTV makes a bad business decision.

The funny part of all of this is the NFL is a league where it wants to maintain itself always above the players individually. Well as of today the league doesn't matter. No one is talking about the football. They're talking about players kneeling during the anthem, Shady stretching during the anthem, Villanueva apologizing because he went out to salute the flag by himself, the Cowboys taking a knee right before the anthem and then standing for it. Football now is secondary and protests are primary.

YardRat
09-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Somebody tweeted last night that Kelly is beginning to remind them of that guy "who graduated three years ago, but still hangs out up at the high school"

I thought it was funny.
"Well....alright, alright alright..."

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/dazed-and-confused-matthew-mcconaughey_612x380_0.jpg?w=612

alohabillsfan
09-27-2017, 04:31 PM

Have you not seen fans burning hundreds of dollars of merchandise? If you don't think people are not canceling you're delusional.

Mr. Pink
09-27-2017, 04:36 PM
Have you not seen fans burning hundreds of dollars of merchandise? If you don't think people are not canceling you're delusional.

Don't worry, that will be dismissed to only a few people here and there making poor decisions.

In case anyone else really cares and doesn't actually know that this is happening.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nfl-fans-burn-football-jerseys-after-anthem-protest-2017-9

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-25/anthem-protest

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/09/25/video-guy-muncie-burned-his-colts-stuff-after-nfl-protests/700674001/

http://gnb.247sports.com/Bolt/Green-Bay-Packers-fan-burns-all-gear-after-National-Anthem-prote-107980042

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/miami-dolphins-nfl-anthem-protest-jersey-burning-video

Oh yeah, even fans of the perennial NFL dynasty with best player in the league are doing it...

http://www.necn.com/news/new-england/Swansea-Man-Invites-Town-To-Burn-Patriots-Jerseys-Over-Anthem-Protests-448079303.html

ICRockets
09-27-2017, 05:01 PM
Don't worry, that will be dismissed to only a few people here and there making poor decisions.

Until you can offer solid numbers that suggest otherwise, of course smart people are going to take your histrionics with a grain of salt.

DraftBoy
09-27-2017, 05:04 PM
No one said they're gonna cut all of their TV. There are other options out there and DirecTV isn't the only one. It's a good business decision by them, and likely came because people threatened to cancel their entire service.

Not in every part of the discussion and you don't know that to be true.

It's a bad decision for fans and for the NFL though.

If DirecTV loses enough subscriptions, they decide running the Sunday Ticket is no longer economically viable to sustain, they then cancel their contract with the NFL or simply choose not to renew it. No other subscriber picks up the Sunday Ticket because of this and then there is no more Sunday Ticket. The fans lose because they cannot watch their team every Sunday out of market and the NFL loses likely a huge chunk of cash. Then the players lose because there's less money going into the salary cap which drives down their pay.

The NFL can also, and I would argue should, renegotiate their TV deal to offer more games regionally on more channels to negate that fact and many fans would see it as a positive move because it removes the exclusivity, and cost, of the Sunday Ticket package, which I've never quite understood from a household perspective but that's a different topic all together.

Add in the other issues you've just completely dismissed with some states maybe not publicly funding anything NFL related and players losing endorsements and you've shrunk the league, shrunk the pay scale and likely shrunk some of the playing base overall.

Again not dismissed, countered. Just because you don't like it or agree with it, doesn't make the points irrelevant. Now you get somebody in a senior position in a NFL state talking about cutting the funding then you're talking about something. But please don't tell you actually believe the crackpot who thinks he can regulate the stripper industry is somebody seriously worth listening to.

All of this could happen. Not will, not won't but could. And it's really idiotic to just completely dismiss all of it as some silly senator, or x player just picked up another endorsement to cover it, or DirecTV makes a bad business decision.

Sure, but we should absolutely listen to the stripper legislator.

The funny part of all of this is the NFL is a league where it wants to maintain itself always above the players individually. Well as of today the league doesn't matter. No one is talking about the football. They're talking about players kneeling during the anthem, Shady stretching during the anthem, Villanueva apologizing because he went out to salute the flag by himself, the Cowboys taking a knee right before the anthem and then standing for it. Football now is secondary and protests are primary.

And it will stay that way until kickoff on Sunday when the cycle runs its course, ratings may go up they may go down. Some of the wacky things you think are real may happen, they may not.

At the end of the day if we want to talk about if the business model is in trouble or not then that's a discussion that really needs to be had at the end of the season when we have as much information as possible.

Mr. Pink
09-27-2017, 05:06 PM
And two lasts things for someone to dismiss...

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/09/27/nfl-boycott-veterans-day-weekend/

and

https://www.si.com/eats/2017/09/27/restaurants-ban-nfl-games-player-protests-national-anthem

All of this is a major PR nightmare for the league.

DraftBoy
09-27-2017, 05:08 PM

Yes, I have. They are stupid.

DraftBoy
09-27-2017, 05:10 PM
And two lasts things for someone to dismiss...

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2017/09/27/nfl-boycott-veterans-day-weekend/

and

https://www.si.com/eats/2017/09/27/restaurants-ban-nfl-games-player-protests-national-anthem

All of this is a major PR nightmare for the league.

That first one could be a very big deal if the tickets are unsold as a result. Thousands of empty seats will absolutely matter and send a message, but they need to be unsold seats otherwise the revenue still partially comes in.

SpikedLemonade
09-27-2017, 05:15 PM

I thought it was funny.

The Town Drunk can be funny at times.

Oh..... FU Wagon!!!

alohabillsfan
09-27-2017, 05:42 PM
Yes, I have. They are stupid.

So they are stupid for protesting? Interesting...

Pennywise
09-27-2017, 07:20 PM
That first one could be a very big deal if the tickets are unsold as a result. Thousands of empty seats will absolutely matter and send a message, but they need to be unsold seats otherwise the revenue still partially comes in.
Yeah, that will have absolutely no effect of networks and sponsors, will it?

Pennywise
09-27-2017, 07:24 PM
NFL owners will have this all straightened out and have their players standing tall on the sidelines just in time for November’s “Salute to Service” month. Too much money to be lost and too much bad PR to be had otherwise.

DraftBoy
09-27-2017, 07:31 PM
NFL owners will have this all straightened out and have their players standing tall on the sidelines just in time for November’s “Salute to Service” month. Too much money to be lost and too much bad PR to be had otherwise.

Never was a question this would happen. Now will the US Military pull its money/support? That would be a massive statement.

ublinkwescore
09-28-2017, 12:44 AM
Can we keep football... football only... please? Is that too much to ask?

SpikedLemonade
09-28-2017, 05:06 AM

It is a game involving humans.

Humans think.

As such, issues of the human condition will always be part of football.

ICRockets
09-28-2017, 06:58 AM
So they are stupid for protesting? Interesting...
Just so I make sure I understand you correctly, you're trying to equate "A football team did something I don't like" with "Cops are killing unarmed black men and getting away with it" in terms of the causes' general worthiness, and also you expect people to still take you seriously afterwards?

k-oneputt
09-28-2017, 10:06 AM

No it can't be done. The lib *******s actually think that we care what they have to say on a supposed Bills site. Good luck. I'm off to other football sites.

sahlensguy
09-28-2017, 10:23 AM
lol. Another one who takes his ball and goes home...

ICRockets
09-28-2017, 11:51 AM
No it can't be done. The lib *******s actually think that we care what they have to say on a supposed Bills site. Good luck. I'm off to other football sites.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jsaTElBljOE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

k-oneputt
09-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Not going home douchebag, rather trying to find good Bills info without having to delve through all the lib bs on a Bills site.
So run along with your worhless thughts.

ICRockets
09-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Not going home douchebag, rather trying to find good Bills info without having to delve through all the lib bs on a Bills site.

WAAAAAAAAA! WAAAAAAAAA! I DON'T LIKE HEARING INFORMATION THAT CONFLICTS WITH MY IDIOTIC WORLDVIEW! WAAAAA! MOMMY GET IT AWAY FROM ME!

alohabillsfan
09-28-2017, 12:31 PM
WAAAAAAAAA! WAAAAAAAAA! I DON'T LIKE HEARING INFORMATION THAT CONFLICTS WITH MY IDIOTIC WORLDVIEW! WAAAAA! MOMMY GET IT AWAY FROM ME!

No, it's just your constant childish banter...

alohabillsfan
09-28-2017, 12:37 PM
Added to the ignor list in time! Phew

- - - Updated - - -

Let me know if you find the adult Bills forum.

SpikedLemonade
09-28-2017, 01:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

SpikedLemonade
09-28-2017, 01:09 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GVV7L66xh4

SpikedLemonade
09-28-2017, 01:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kKvlv-IY7k

ICRockets
09-28-2017, 01:17 PM
No, it's just your constant childish banter...

Based on the definition of racism preferred by a small-yet-growing section of the Progressive population, yes only white people can be racist. However, before you Hulk out over that concept, I'd like you to allow me to explain it further.

Essentially, the general idea behind defining racism the way these people (including myself, though I don't use this definition around here because most of the posters on this board are too conservative to entertain radical concepts) define it is that the word 'racism' applies exclusively to systems of racial oppression or discrimination. Since white Americans do not experience racial oppression/discrimination, they are not victims of racism. Since people of color do not historically possess the power to oppress or discriminate white Americans on the basis of their race, they cannot be racist.

HOWEVER- and this is why I like this definition of the word more than the traditional definition- what this means is that VERY FEW WHITE PEOPLE CAN BE DESCRIBED AS RACISTS. In order to fit my preferred definition of being a 'racist' you must be a conscious participant in the systemic oppression or discrimination of people of color. Are you a landlord who routinely refuses to rent or sublet to POC? You're a racist. Are you an electrician who marched at Charlottesville? You are not a racist.

Now, that doesn't mean you're entirely absolved if you are that hypothetical Charlottesville tradesman. You are still prejudiced. You still have a racial bias. But I find those words to be less charged with contempt toward the biased party, and more with frustration and disappointment. And if you're white, you can still be the victim of a POC's prejudice or racial bias. So I'm not suggesting that people of color are the only ones who've had to endure such a thing.

Nor am I suggesting that racism is the only system of oppression that exists in the U.S. Far, far, far from it. There's sexism (which is different, if we're using the corresponding definition, than misogyny), classism (which is different, if we're using the corresponding definition, than snobbery), ageism, etc.

I know from experience that a lot of you are going to bristle at the notion that you can't call a black person racist. You're not going to be able to fathom the full weight of what I'm saying, so you're going to feel attacked. That is the exact WRONG reaction. The point of re-defining what these '-isms' represent is to unite us against our mutual oppressors. Because make no mistake, we're all being oppressed by a lot of the same systems. The difference is that oppression and discrimination based on race, specifically, is an epidemic within police departments and judicial systems across America. THAT is what the kneeling originally represented to guys like Colin Kaepernick and Michael Bennett. They were protesting a system where cops are more likely to see jail time for killing a dog than they were for killing an unarmed black man.

But the insidious thing about systems of oppression is that they are violently resistant to being overturned. You're seeing IMMENSE militarization of police forces across the country. Body armor, SWAT gear, tactical rifles, ****ing TANKS for Christ's sake! If you dismiss their wrongdoing against one powerless group, why would you think they'd stop there? If the problem gets bad enough that white people start to rise up against it, they will put us down without any more hesitation than they have for putting down POC now unless. we stop them. before. they can. Unless. we speak out. and change the tide. All of us. White. Black. Latino. Native American. Man. Woman. Poor. Middle-class.

Please, think about this. Engage in this conversation with me. Ask me questions. Don't just dismiss what I'm saying because it's coming from a so-called 'L i b t a r d'.

That's an example of I post I've written this week on this topic. In what universe could this be construed as "childish banter"? I'm trying to engage people with whom I disagree on a deeper level than labels like "racist" usually allow. It's met with silence, derision, and- somehow without comment from the moderators- a fat joke. But because...what, I responded to antagonism with some sarcastic rhetoric instead of flying off the handle, so now it can all be written off as "banter"?

Come on, man. I have to believe you're smarter than that. At least be honest that the reason you want to ignore me is because you're afraid if you listen to me try more you might need to take what I say seriously. And if I'm right, you're afraid that it's going to shatter portions of your worldview. Consider our conversation a kind of...existential trust fall. I know what it feels like to have worldviews shatter. Talk about it. That's what message boards are for.

And I know, I know. I'm on ignore. But if doing so made you feel better and you're willing to keep the lines of communication open, I'd invite you to return in earnest. Either way, respond or not...

Aloha.

k-oneputt
09-28-2017, 05:33 PM
Proved the point a-hole. Nobody wants or cares about your lib bs in the Bills forum. Congrats on ruining the site

ICRockets
09-28-2017, 05:52 PM
Proved the point a-hole. Nobody wants or cares about your lib bs in the Bills forum. Congrats on ruining the site

The invitation goes to you as well, friend. If you ever want to talk about what you're feeling, we're all here for you. This is a safe and compassionate environment. Have a splendid evening!

SpikedLemonade
09-28-2017, 06:06 PM
The invitation goes to you as well, friend. If you ever want to talk about what you're feeling, we're all here for you. This is a safe and compassionate environment. Have a splendid evening!

Who said that this site should be this or that?

If you don't like it -- LEAVE!!!!

Is it really that difficult to understand?

There are other Bills sites.

sahlensguy
09-28-2017, 06:17 PM

Hey you don't know that. His mom might be a fan.

(Lighten up dude)

ICRockets
09-28-2017, 06:23 PM

Sure, I would just hate to lose somebody as thoughtful and articulate as putty.

Let's face it, he put a lot of time and effort into telling why he disagrees with our position, and we acted like all he did was call us names and stomp away in a huff.

Mouldsie
09-28-2017, 06:29 PM

if u dont lyke this kuntry den u ken geet owt!

BertSquirtgum
09-28-2017, 06:35 PM
I can't believe I had to put that fat dickhead on ignore. I've never put anybody on my ignore list. Even that bigger pos swiper.

SpikedLemonade
09-29-2017, 09:22 AM
If someone puts me on ignore, I take it as an honour.

AND a validation of their IGNORance.

sahlensguy
09-29-2017, 10:25 AM
If someone puts me on ignore, I take it as an honour.

AND a validation of their IGNORance.

Keep the good fight.

"Those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself." Richard M. Nixon

CommissarSpartacus
09-30-2017, 05:21 AM
The only people that complain about the political forum are those who are too stupid to discuss something other than a game for children.

Invariably THEY are the people that drag politics into the football forum by making some ******ed comment, and when people skewer them for it they whine that they're going to take their ball and go home.

The fact is, you're only going to have intelligent conversation about football if you have intelligent people as members.

And pandering to the double digit IQ right wing morons by agreeing with their complaints only assures the continual decline in membership IQ levels.

The solution to declining quality of football discussion IS TO SAY SOMETHING SMART and stop whining.

Too bad that's so difficult for some.

swiper
09-30-2017, 06:01 AM
I can't believe I had to put that fat dickhead on ignore. I've never put anybody on my ignore list. Even that bigger pos swiper.

Do your parents know what failures they are?

You are the Zone's poster child for abortion.

BertSquirtgum
09-30-2017, 06:27 PM
Do your parents know what failures they are?

You are the Zone's poster child for abortion.

There you are. Where have you been? I missed you.