X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BLUTO
    • Mar 2017

I may be all alone -but- I could care less about - - -

An individual NFL player's personal views about race, politics, sex, abortion or his ideas about our country and the National Anthem.

I pay money to watch a game played by the best football athletes in the world. That's all I want. It's a product not a moral pursuit.

GO BILLS!
  • Thurmal
    • Oct 2005

Re: I may be all alone -but- I could care less about - - -

Originally posted by BLUTO View Post
    An individual NFL player's personal views about race, politics, sex, abortion or his ideas about our country and the National Anthem.

I pay money to watch a game played by the best football athletes in the world. That's all I want. It's a product not a moral pursuit.

GO BILLS!
    This is what athletes and movie stars and musicians and other celebrities don't get. They have had their asses kissed for so long, that they think that they are actually smarter than the average Joe, which they're clearly not. This last election was a hilarious repudiation of their lecturing and a true portrayal of how little influence they have outside of their little niche. Getting a reality check that brutal obviously crushed them, which is why you are seeing the meltdown and histrionics.
    "Miami played pretty damn good today and still got their ass kicked."

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

They...made it a moral pursuit.

Trump said something insanely stupid and the NFL tried to one up him in the stupidity race.

So now the game is secondary in the eyes of the media and talking heads doing the game.

I'll just record next weeks game so I can fast forward through it in 40 minutes and do something else worth my time Sunday. I don't wish to hear what a bag of hammers has to say.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• ICRockets
        Childish Fake Voter
        • Jul 2008

I love how so many white people think they get to tell black people that they're OBVIOUSLY stupid to think racism is a problem.

Comment

• jimmifli
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by ICRockets View Post
          I love how so many white people think they get to tell black people that they're OBVIOUSLY stupid to think racism is a problem.
          It's like they're watching horse racing.

Comment

• djjimkelly
            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by BLUTO View Post

GO BILLS!
            how about i truly DONT want to know their views on politics or religion or race they are in their early 20's and are pampered athletes i in fact truly could care less what they think

Comment

• sahlensguy
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by djjimkelly View Post
              how about i truly DONT want to know their views on politics or religion or race they are in their early 20's and are pampered athletes i in fact truly could care less what they think
              So are you (and the OP) bothered at all by the protest. I'm not sure what you guys are getting at.

Since you don't care, are you ignoring it and just paying attention to the game?
              Last edited by sahlensguy; 09-25-2017, 06:36 PM.

Comment

• ICRockets
                Childish Fake Voter
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by djjimkelly View Post
                And as we all know, they were raised in laboratories and hyberbaric chambers and incubation tanks, so they never knew a life without thousands of money.

Comment

• sudzy
                  • Apr 2013

Is that what he's saying? Because, I thought he was saying, that it would be nice to watch sports entertainment, without politics being involved. But, those days are gone.

Comment

• ICRockets
                    Childish Fake Voter
                    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by sudzy View Post
                    Is that what he's saying? Because, I thought he was saying, that it would be nice to watch sports entertainment, without politics being involved. But, those days are gone.
                    Yes, that's what he's saying. Did you miss the "bag of hammers" part of his comment?

Comment

• sudzy
                      • Apr 2013

Yes, that's what he's saying. Did you miss the "bag of hammers" part of his comment?
                      I'm glad your here to translate everything said into Millennial "I'm going to twist everything into PC crap, so I can overreact and get offended."

Comment

• Mace
                        Haha...yeah you think so ?
                        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
                        This is what athletes and movie stars and musicians and other celebrities don't get. They have had their asses kissed for so long, that they think that they are actually smarter than the average Joe, which they're clearly not. This last election was a hilarious repudiation of their lecturing and a true portrayal of how little influence they have outside of their little niche. Getting a reality check that brutal obviously crushed them, which is why you are seeing the meltdown and histrionics.
                        Lmao, you just described Trump, and didn't even realize it.

I learned long ago that life is too complex and accepted it won't cater to me, for better or worse. I don't believe seeking a lazy, tunnel vision existence catering to one's personal preferences develops an individual with thoughtful perspectives.

All that said, it's fine to just want to pay attention to the football, so just do it and ignore the rest.

I don't have any problem distinguishing the players as people from the players as players, and separating the social statement from the sport, I mean it is what it is.

Celebrities don't make themselves. We create them and give them a platform to lip off from, good or bad, and a football player is no different from the host of "The Apprentice".

In the end, it doesn't change my enjoyment of a football game.

Comment

• El Guapo
                          • May 2007

I am just curious -- how many of you go to your jobs and protest a political ideology every morning?

In my line of work, I have never seen anyone protest anything political before/during/after they started working.

At my work, we are from all different walks of life. I know we all have differing political and social views, but we are there to work and get a job done (and get paid for that effort). I could care less how Joe feels about climate change or a border wall. I need Joe to do his job so I can do mine. Chelsea needs me to do my job so she can do her job. She could care less how I feel about the electoral college.

This is what people are upset about. This is the players' job (playing football). It's not a platform for political gain.

I want to watch football. That's it. If I want to listen to politics, there are plenty of other channels I can turn to in order to get my fill of politics. If players want to make a statement, do it on your time, not the organization's time. There will be an audience. ESPN will cover it, trust me.

Final thoughts. Trump was wrong to get involved in this. The NFL was wrong to take the bait.

Go Bills!
                          A Bills fan in Dixie. How did that happen?

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Thurmal View Post
                            Here's the problem though- celebrities have something that most of us do not: people who listen to them.

Yeah, preachy celebrities can get annoying. Some are smart- most are not. And TBH, often when I agree with a celebrity on a certain issue, it still bothers me because they do such a terrible job of communicating the point and explaining the logic behind it that it does more harm than good.

But we all have issues about which we feel strongly. If I was famous, I think I'd have a hard time staying silent on certain issues even if my opinions on those issues had nothing to do with why I was famous.

The other part of the problem isn't with the celebrities- it's the way the general public reacts to them. They pay attention to the people who are famous rather than the people who are actually knowledgeable.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• kishoph
                              • Jun 2003

I love it when idiots ^ think only white people are racist or that black people are the only people that have endured suffering in this country.

Don't you have an old veteran somewhere you need to go and harass ?

Comment

Working...
                              X