PDA

View Full Version : How can the Bills dump Marcell Dareus?

endzone
09-27-2017, 10:10 PM
$16.4 mil against our cap this year. Can you imagine being at practice and in the locker room with him while being a real contributor to the team and making so much less money- - - so much less. Damaging the team's cohesiveness.

I'm sure the new GM has a ton of lawyers seeking an out from his contract. Can it happen and how??

stuckincincy
09-27-2017, 10:34 PM
You can't change a written contract if one party won't agree to a change.

Nobody, be it lawyer, paperboy, Girl Scout cookie seller, or astronaut, can change that.

Mace
09-27-2017, 11:29 PM
We're stuck with him. Whaley didn't make sure there was any language besides "guaranteed" in that extension.

The argument was always Dareus wouldn't have agreed to it. Oh dear, that would have been sad.

Albany,n.y.
09-28-2017, 12:30 AM
Only out is to get him thrown out of the league.

Wally The Barber
09-28-2017, 03:41 AM
Some say he is un-tradable. ,this is not the case, the bills can share his contract with the next team.
Problem is Dareus is probably not worth half.
I would live with him for now and depending on his effort make a decision after the season

I predict he returns and has a big season, we will see

Skooby
09-28-2017, 03:56 AM
He needs to get to work, he won't be leaving his last big contract without a fight for his money.

Wally The Barber
09-28-2017, 03:58 AM
He needs to get to work, he won't be leaving his last big contract without a fight for his money.

agreed

SpikedLemonade
09-28-2017, 05:08 AM
Such a waste of talent.

YardRat
09-28-2017, 05:40 AM
Defense is better when he's in there, I'm OK hanging on to him for a while longer.

They can dump him anytime they want to, it's just a matter of being willing to eat the cap hit when they do.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-28-2017, 06:48 AM
I still have hope for him. From all I heard, he's not that bad a kid and if you go back to college days, he was OK. Looks like motivation is an issue with him.

From yesterday's video from OBD, and McDermott's comment, he may yet to contribute this season in meaningful way. In a way, we'll see the McDermott's people skills which the media has touted.

Marcel should not be a leader; the contract he's given is flawed. But the new regime is dealt with this hand. For a guy value as much D-Line as McDermott, I have to believe he really wants trying everything to make it work. We'll see.

On the field I believe the better the Bills do, the more likely Marcel will buy in, contribute, even thrive. Player's are not blind. It is easier for anyone to buy in if you see what your leader is selling works. If Marcel has any competitive spirit for football left, seeing how his teammates, especially fellow less talented DTs succeed without him, has to push him to get on the program.

ublinkwescore
09-28-2017, 07:13 AM
I say talk to him and say we'll cut him and pay him out but if he signs with someone else, the salary he gets from them is Buffalo's up until his contract with the Bills expires and the value of his contract with Buffalo is reached.

jamze132
09-28-2017, 07:19 AM
Has he practiced this week?

Ginger Vitis
09-28-2017, 08:11 AM
Has he practiced this week?
http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2017/09/27/glenn-doesnt-practice-dareus-limited/

justasportsfan
09-28-2017, 09:17 AM
Defense is better when he's in there, I'm OK hanging on to him for a while longer.

They can dump him anytime they want to, it's just a matter of being willing to eat the cap hit when they do.

Agreed. let's not look into getting rid of him. How about we look into fixing his head.

OpIv37
09-28-2017, 09:32 AM

While technically true, his dead cap is absurd- something like $19 million for each of the next two years. Taking that much of a hit and having to replace a starting DT is not a position the FO wants to be in.

I don't know if the CBA allows us to trade him and eat part of the cap hit as part of the deal, but that's the only plausible out. And that's assuming someone else wants him.

Bill Cody
09-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Agreed. let's not look into getting rid of him. How about we look into fixing his head.

a couple bong hits should square that away right?

Ginger Vitis
09-28-2017, 10:03 AM
I don't know if the CBA allows us to trade him and eat part of the cap hit as part of the deal, but that's the only plausible out.

Trading a player you still have to absorb the amortized bonus cap hit the same way as if the player was released... And any team that Dareus is traded too takes on the base salaries that are already laid out in his contract... Of course Dareus new team could renegotiate his deal just as the Bills did when they traded for LeSean McCoy

The Beef
09-28-2017, 10:53 AM
They won't move him this year unless they get blow away with am offer ie a 1st rounder.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's moved next year in a move up for a QB or moved for some mid round picks or a guy who is determined not to be a fit in a scheme. McBeane will take the cap hit next year if they get whatever they consider fair value in return. Which I'm guessing they'd take two 3rd rounders next year and swallow the cap hit in 2018.

Bill Cody
09-28-2017, 11:10 AM
You want to take the cap hit before you have a big QB salary to pay

ghz in pittsburgh
09-28-2017, 11:42 AM
The issue is not as simple as just get rid of him. As someone else noted above, it is replacing him with someone of quality. This is Kyle's last year. I don't think the team is naive to believe we can't get by at DT position without the talents somewhere close to Marcel and Kyle next year.

If Dareus is no longer capable, they have no choice to release him. If Dareus steadily refuse to buy in and dodging it, they have no choice. Those are worst case scenarios that you are talking about taking a cap hit of $20 million, finding a capable replacement for another 10 million hit.

BLUTO
09-28-2017, 08:52 PM
The issue is not as simple as just get rid of him. As someone else noted above, it is replacing him with someone of quality. This is Kyle's last year. I don't think the team is naive to believe we can't get by at DT position without the talents somewhere close to Marcel and Kyle next year.
If Dareus is no longer capable, they have no choice to release him. If Dareus steadily refuse to buy in and dodging it, they have no choice. Those are worst case scenarios that you are talking about taking a cap hit of $20 million, finding a capable replacement for another 10 million hit.

Why is it Kyle's last year? I think he's playing better than of the DT's we have.

Mace
09-28-2017, 09:38 PM

I agree with you about hanging on to him, because they have nothing to lose but, well huge dead cap and a few games of good Dareus is better than none with some as yet unknown alternative who can maybe get near that level when he brings his "A" game.

But as to the last part, well...it's like saying the US can start any war they want to if they're willing to eat the consequences. That leaves us and the team hoping and praying for at least a few games of good Dareus until he's not so painfully punted. When you think about it, that's kind of sad and aggravating because at this point of his career, nice guy or not, he shouldn't be inspiring crossed fingers and "maybe he'll come around" for what the franchise is committed to paying him.

I mean that's almost bootable on principle, first chance you get.

djjimkelly
09-28-2017, 09:59 PM
hes more then solid when motivated

coaches need to figure it our before we dump this guy.

hes a mess however hes great when hes on. which of late is never

ublinkwescore
09-29-2017, 11:28 AM
Our only hope is that he buys in this year, otherwise, we just need to cut his a$s and eat the cap hit... then buy some Doug Whaley toilet paper.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-29-2017, 02:31 PM
Joe Buscaglia‏Verified account @JoeBuscaglia (https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia) <small class="time" style="font-size: 14px; color: rgb(101, 119, 134);"> 2h2 hours ago (https://twitter.com/JoeBuscaglia/status/913818415294554112)</small><button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton u-textUserColorHover dropdown-toggle js-dropdown-toggle" type="button" aria-haspopup="true" style="color: rgb(101, 119, 134); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; padding: 2px 9px; transition: box-shadow 0.15s ease-in-out; position: relative;">More
</button>

#Bills (https://twitter.com/hashtag/Bills?src=hash) OT Cordy Glenn has been ruled out vs ATL. DE Shaq Lawson is questionable, & DT Marcell Dareus was taken off injury report completely.

7 replies10 retweets20 likes
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton js-actionButton js-actionReply" data-modal="ProfileTweet-reply" type="button" aria-describedby="profile-tweet-action-reply-count-aria-913818415294554112" style="color: rgb(101, 119, 134); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; padding: 0px 2px; transition: box-shadow 0.15s ease-in-out; position: relative;">Reply
7</button>
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton js-actionButton js-actionRetweet" data-modal="ProfileTweet-retweet" type="button" aria-describedby="profile-tweet-action-retweet-count-aria-913818415294554112" style="color: rgb(101, 119, 134); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; padding: 0px 2px; transition: box-shadow 0.15s ease-in-out; position: relative;">Retweet
10</button>
<button class="ProfileTweet-actionButton js-actionButton js-actionFavorite" type="button" aria-describedby="profile-tweet-action-favorite-count-aria-913818415294554112" style="color: rgb(101, 119, 134); font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; font-size: 16px; line-height: 1; font-family: inherit; margin: 0px; overflow: visible; cursor: pointer; background-image: initial; background-position: initial; background-size: initial; background-repeat: initial; background-attachment: initial; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; padding: 0px 2px; transition: box-shadow 0.15s ease-in-out; position: relative;">
20</button>