X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Cody
    • Sep 2004

Aaron Rodgers

Ok so off the top this is a random basically stupid thread. So it should fit in nicely here.

Anyway I'm watching Thursday night football, the usual terrible game on Thursday, and you just have to be pretty much in awe of Aaron Rodgers. The guy is fun to watch and he is amazingly good. And it's just kind of hard to take thinking of the parade of clowns we've had under center for the past 12 years. And here's the stupid part. Out of the blue, ok fine I'd had a couple, it got me angry all over again at Tom Donahoe for the 2004 draft. It was the old double whammy. He can't make a deal to move up a few slots to draft Ben Rothlisberger so he panics and trades back in the 1st to draft JP (P as in *****) Losman, a deal and a pick I hated as the card was being carried to the podium (you can look it up). And in that deal the Bills gave up their 1st rounder in 2005, a pick that could have landed them...yes indeed Aaron Rodgers. Bledsoe was a good player but immobile and Donahoe let him get killed behind a bad OL. But he would have been fine for another couple years, much much better than JP.

Just to throw some additional random salt in the wound the Cowboys selected future Hall of Famer Demarcus Ware with the pick they got from the Bills and their 2005 draft was voted best of the decade.

And we still don't have a QB. And don't you guys start in how I need to get over it blah blah blah we're Bills fans we don't get over anything and we remember stupid stuff at stupid times so don't act like you guys don't do the same stupid ****. End random rant.

• Novacane
    • Jul 2002

Re: Aaron Rodgers

If they hadn't taken Losman the Bills probably would of found some great CB they just couldn't pass up instead of taking Rogers.

Comment

• Historian
      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
      • Dec 2002

Clearly we did not win that offseason...

Comment

• Jeff1220
        H to the 12:20
        • Jul 2002

I always think of situations like this in terms of chaos theory/butterfly effect. If the Bills hadn't traded, who knows who they would have traded for or who the would've picked the following year. If they had picked Rodgers, he might never have amounted to anything. Maybe Losman would've gone to a team that was the perfect fit and he would become a superstar. We have no way of knowing how these simple changes in the draft would have unfolded if they had transpired that way. Maybe the drafting of Losman in some long, roundabout way, kept a terrorist attack from happening, for example. Or more simply, maybe if Rodgers was drafted by the Bills, he ends up hurt and out o football before he even got a chance to start in GB. The point is that we can't assume that the Aaron Rodgers the Packers drafted would be the same Aaron Rodgers if the Bills had drafted him.

Comment

• Mouldsie
          • Aug 2012

Best I've ever seen

Comment

• YardRat
            Well, lookie here...
            • Dec 2004

Can we ever have a discussion about any player without going down a 'we should have drafted him...dumbass (insert GM name here)' ??

Rodgers is one of the best at the moment for sure, and fun to watch.

Dallas drafted DE Marcus Spears with the pick they got from Buffalo, not DeMarcus Ware. They took Ware with their own pick.

There are a lot of other players from that draft that we didn't get that would have been whiffs too. It's not like taking Rodgers would have been a 'gimme' like everybody thinks.
            YardRat Wall of Fame
            #56 DARRYL TALLEY
            #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ginger Vitis
              • Feb 2009

Supposedly Mike Nolan the coach of the 49ers at the time of the 2005 draft saw Alex Smith open the car door for his mother and was so moved by that that was the tipping point in him wanting Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers.... AT that time the 49ers were very dysfunctional and Rodgers might not have been very successful there had the 49ers taken him...

Comment

• The last buffalo fan
                I told the pet store guy "How else am I supposed to get the mouse out of my ass?"
                • Sep 2004

We did not have the men nor the brains to pick the best nor the right player, end of the conversation.
                The Mexican & too!!

- Adriano & Emiliano, the next Villa & Zapata. Viva Mexico, cabrones!!! -

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Lots of dumb teams that weekend. Famous film of him sitting alone in the Green room while being picked much later than expected.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• jimmifli
                    • Nov 2006

I don't need to live in the alternate universe where we drafted A-aron, but it's be nice to visit it at least once.

Comment

• Mace
                      Haha...yeah you think so ?
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                      Bledsoe was a good player but immobile and Donahoe let him get killed behind a bad OL. But he would have been fine for another couple years, much much better than JP.
                      Bledsoe wasn't really fine, he was getting battered and wouldn't have lasted. It was noticeably impacting his effectiveness here.

The thing I always mention when Losman comes up (how he turned out is how he turned out though), is that they said they intended to run and gun to get away from having a statue QB battered in the pocket behind an OL with issues. Then all they talked about during preseason was breaking Losman of his footwork so he'd stay in the pocket. They didn't run and gun at all, they tried making Losman a statue when that's what they wanted to replace when they drafted him. They were a screwed up organization.

If they'd have drafted Rodgers, they wouldn't have changed anything to suit him, wouldn't have had the patience to grow him. They'd have tried breaking him of his footwork and he'd have taken a beating, fast and furious, and they'd have drafted someone to replace him shortly.

Recognizing talent is one thing. Actually being able to develop or use it is another. We had issues with both back then.

I can still appreciate the thought though.

Comment

• Spartacus
                        • Mar 2003

You guys are only telling part of the story.

Ralph and Donahoe INSISTED that Bledsoe be let go after 2004 and that Losman be installed as the starter for the 2005 season against the recommendation of their OC.

When Losman crapped out in 2005, Ralph and TD blamed it on the OC and insisted Mularky fire him, which he did.

The fired OC was then hired by the new HC of the Packers, a first timer in the position, as the QB coach.

The QB coach then rescued Brett Favre's career and when Favre left, tutored Aaron Rodgers into one of the greatest NFL QBS ever.

They won ONE SB ring together and would have won more if the GB head coach wasn't such a moron and ******* who was jealous of all the credit the QB coach/OC/Assoc. HC was getting and insisted he be fired.
                        My tebya razdavim

Comment

• sudzy
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by Bill Cody View Post
                          Ok so off the top this is a random basically stupid thread. So it should fit in nicely here.

Anyway I'm watching Thursday night football, the usual terrible game on Thursday, and you just have to be pretty much in awe of Aaron Rodgers. The guy is fun to watch and he is amazingly good. And it's just kind of hard to take thinking of the parade of clowns we've had under center for the past 12 years. And here's the stupid part. Out of the blue, ok fine I'd had a couple, it got me angry all over again at Tom Donahoe for the 2004 draft. It was the old double whammy. He can't make a deal to move up a few slots to draft Ben Rothlisberger so he panics and trades back in the 1st to draft JP (P as in *****) Losman, a deal and a pick I hated as the card was being carried to the podium (you can look it up). And in that deal the Bills gave up their 1st rounder in 2005, a pick that could have landed them...yes indeed Aaron Rodgers. Bledsoe was a good player but immobile and Donahoe let him get killed behind a bad OL. But he would have been fine for another couple years, much much better than JP.

Just to throw some additional random salt in the wound the Cowboys selected future Hall of Famer Demarcus Ware with the pick they got from the Bills and their 2005 draft was voted best of the decade.

And we still don't have a QB. And don't you guys start in how I need to get over it blah blah blah we're Bills fans we don't get over anything and we remember stupid stuff at stupid times so don't act like you guys don't do the same stupid ****. End random rant.

Kind of sums up the last 20 years for the Bills. The bad plays start at the top.

Comment

Working...
                          X