PDA

View Full Version : it's amazing what different coaching does

kscdogbillsfan1221
10-01-2017, 05:04 PM
Was just thinking about this. Does anybody have any doubt that if Rex Ryan was still coaching this team, we would be 1-3?

idiotic penalties, the defense having no idea what they were doing. All of that seems gone. Thank God.

Novacane
10-01-2017, 05:09 PM
I was thinking the same thing. What does this say about Ryan? It says he sucks imo.

Pennywise
10-01-2017, 05:10 PM
Rex Ryan was the worst Bills coach in the drought era. Yes, worse than Jauron....way worse.

Buffalogic
10-01-2017, 05:10 PM
This shows you everything you need to know. We aren't going anywhere.

https://twitter.com/JonScottTV/status/914582533135839232

Albany,n.y.
10-01-2017, 05:11 PM
Also, buffoons don't get any benefit of the doubt from the refs. Let's hope that McDermott lasts in Buffalo longer than Belichick in NE.

YardRat
10-01-2017, 05:15 PM
Looking good so far, hopefully the coaching and culture can just keep getting better.

ublinkwescore
10-01-2017, 05:46 PM
Looking good so far, hopefully the coaching and culture can just keep getting better.

Culture change is in #theprocess!!!!

Mace
10-01-2017, 06:30 PM

I love it.

Arm of Harm
10-01-2017, 07:28 PM
Looks to me like Pegula did much, much better with his second HC hire than with his first.

psubills62
10-01-2017, 07:40 PM
Not going to make any proclamations, but so far I'm pretty impressed. Looked like we dumped a lot of talent, replaced them with a lot of "hopefully this player will be good" and so far it's working. And it's even more promising that it seems like there is a lot of room for improving the talent on the roster.

jimmifli
10-01-2017, 07:42 PM
He reminds me of Gregggg but with people skills.

alohabillsfan
10-02-2017, 06:04 AM
Here is my interpretation..we all know rex was ego driven and not work ethic driven. There was a game early last year that the bills stifled a team in the red zone. Post game news conference Rex has to say look at how smart I am and goes on to tell the media that he and his brother broke down all the tendencies of that teams red zone offense. Well great Rex, you just gave away the secret! Idiot. McDermott seems like the coach that's in at 5am working where as Rex would show up at 8 with a box of donuts!

Forward_Lateral
10-02-2017, 06:06 AM

LOL they are polar opposites. Gregg is an maniacal egomaniac who was a terrible Head Coach and a slimeball.

Topas
10-02-2017, 06:42 AM
One of the comments beyond this was, that we might have finally found our head coach. I got watery eyes. That might be true. And I dont care about the record, and I realize that we are a few plays away from being 1-3. And I think we will not make the playoffs and the wheels will eventually fall off when some injuries hit. But if we finally found a real head coach that is not being outcoached the moment our players step on the field, that would be awesome. We have waited so long.
Go Bills!!!

Historian
10-02-2017, 07:01 AM
I'll do two more Miracle references:

BROOKS: "He doesn't know what to do!" (Tikonov)

This was all I could think of at the end of the game. Towards the end, Ryan was pressing a bit, and his offense looked pretty disorganized. I believe it's because the Falcons had not played from behind all that much. It looked like a Chinese fire drill at times.

BROOKS: "Should be a tough test. We're sure not gonna overlook them."

McDermott will invariably say something to this effect during a presser this week.

:up:

daryls61
10-02-2017, 07:14 AM
McBean>Rex/Whaley

Bill Cody
10-02-2017, 09:23 AM
Leave the wins and losses aside for the moment. When Rex was hired I had a sinking feeling we'd be laughingstocks even more than usual because that was Rex's MO with the Jets, stupid self centered pressers, a total lack of discipline, huge number of penalties. And that's exactly what we got sadly. Rex sucks more than toes. Getting rid of him was like successful cancer surgery. And Mac is off to a great start being the anti Rex. Team seems focused, isn't beating itself. I'd be pleased with that at 1-3 because it wouldn't feel like if you wore a Bills hat you're just setting yourself up to get you balls busted by the whole planet. Not now. And that feels good.

The fact that we're 3-1 is gravy. 8-8 can feel a lot of different ways depending on how you get there. After one year of Rex I was checking out gardening forums.

justasportsfan
10-02-2017, 09:28 AM
McD has has this team playing smart. Under Rex this team was stupid.

Mahdi
10-02-2017, 09:34 AM
Rex and Whaley failed in one major area... Bringing in players that make their scheme work.

Rex's 3-4 needs tall, strong front 3 DL and they had short, quick guys instead.

Damon Harrison should have been their #1 signing instead they didn't even address bringing in a big run stuffer that every successful 3-4 has.

They thought they could convert everyone into the scheme and it didn't work.

justasportsfan
10-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Rex and Whaley failed in one major area... Bringing in players that make their scheme work.

Disagree. Alexander , Zach Brown etc. thrived under Rex's scheme. Some of them were hold overs from when Pettine was here and did well for Pettine as well. Rex tried to mix both his scheme and Schwartz's which confused the players. Then he brought in his brother who made things worse.

Offensively, Mike Gillislee and the OL were great at the running game that Rex wanted to implement. They also brought Incognito here. Whaley found players off the street that played well. It was up to Rex to put things together and he failed.

feldspar
10-02-2017, 09:46 AM
Remember when Anthony Lynn was widely thought to be the next Head Coach?

So glad THAT didn't happen.

Arm of Harm
10-02-2017, 10:48 AM

To me, McDermott is the kind of guy who has a clear picture of what he wants the team to be like. He quietly, tirelessly works to make that picture a reality.

Gregg is not that. He strives to create the appearance of that. Deep down I think he wants to be that. But he isn't, and never will be. To compensate, he's had to place more emphasis on appearances than McDermott. Also Gregg lacks McDermott's humility.

Bill Cody
10-02-2017, 10:57 AM
To me, McDermott is the kind of guy who has a clear picture of what he wants the team to be like. He quietly, tirelessly works to make that picture a reality.

Gregg is not that. He strives to create the appearance of that. Deep down I think he wants to be that. But he isn't, and never will be. To compensate, he's had to place more emphasis on appearances than McDermott. Also Gregg lacks McDermott's humility.

But to be fair Gregg had it all over Mac when it came to color coded charts

Mahdi
10-02-2017, 11:04 AM
Disagree. Alexander , Zach Brown etc. thrived under Rex's scheme. Some of them were hold overs from when Pettine was here and did well for Pettine as well. Rex tried to mix both his scheme and Schwartz's which confused the players. Then he brought in his brother who made things worse.

Offensively, Mike Gillislee and the OL were great at the running game that Rex wanted to implement. They also brought Incognito here. Whaley found players off the street that played well. It was up to Rex to put things together and he failed.

Alexander and Zach Brown were LBs. Rex's whole defense is predicated on what the DL does and he had KW and MD as his best players but suited for a 4-3. There was not enough height, length or power in the front 3. Compare that to Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson and Snacks Harrison. Completely different setup.

Historian
10-02-2017, 11:11 AM
But to be fair Gregg had it all over Mac when it came to color coded charts

...and bullhorns!

jimmifli
10-02-2017, 11:22 AM

Gregg had a clear picture of what he wanted the team to be. And he had a clear plan on how to get there. His plan sucked because he treated the team like little kids.

He has the technical chops, work ethic and smarts to be a successful head coach. He just lacked the people skills. And maybe the integrity (that's tough to judge from the outside).

McD has all of the above.

Bill Cody
10-02-2017, 12:44 PM
Gregg had a clear picture of what he wanted the team to be. And he had a clear plan on how to get there. His plan sucked because he treated the team like little kids.

He has the technical chops, work ethic and smarts to be a successful head coach. He just lacked the people skills. And maybe the integrity (that's tough to judge from the outside).

McD has all of the above.

It wasn't just that. Gregg wasn't interested in offense. Kind of hard to be a great HC when you basically abdicate 1/2 the squad to the coordinator. Yeah he did that. Otherwise how would he go a full season passing like 70% of the time on 3rd and 1 with an OL that could run block but could not pass block? He couldn't see the identity of his team and it cost him games. Kevin Gilbride was actually a clever guy but he needed to be reined in and he wasn't. So Man Boobs failed. You're right though about communication. His teams would come up small whenever we were on national TV, thinking of a game at KC where we were just flat and another against the Jets "who's with me guys" (sound of crickets). Anyway why the hell am I diving down this stupid rabbit hole....life of a Bills fan, everything sets you off about some stupid failure, sorry.

As for integrity when you run a bounty scheme for big hits and taking guys out which he did as DC in NO I think absolutely we can judge from the outside that that is just wrong and lacking in integrity.