PDA

View Full Version : Respect the process...

ublinkwescore
10-01-2017, 05:42 PM
That is all...

Night Train
10-01-2017, 06:01 PM
The process of tanking ?

Mace
10-01-2017, 06:19 PM
The process of tanking ?

It would have been more fun ?

ublinkwescore
10-01-2017, 06:33 PM
The process of tanking ?

I wanted us to tank... I REALLY wanted us to tank... but if we win our next 3 games, I'm no longer on the tank train. I'm on the "Let's end the drought" train.

Fixxxer
10-01-2017, 07:24 PM
it is obvious that McDermott is using some wicked reversed psychology on this team.

God Father
10-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Our team reminds me of Money Ball.

Mouldsie
10-01-2017, 10:31 PM
I thought it was "Trust the process?"

BertSquirtgum
10-01-2017, 11:06 PM
Trust the process you mean.

stuckincincy
10-01-2017, 11:22 PM
Our team reminds me of Money Ball.

Heh - that's the entire NFL. Good call.

ublinkwescore
10-02-2017, 02:54 AM
Trust the process you mean.

Trust/Respect whatever, just keep the process going.

Skooby
10-02-2017, 02:56 AM

Like processed food.

Historian
10-02-2017, 06:01 AM
McDermott seems to be using the Herb Brooks playbook.

"I'm not looking for the best players Craig, (Patrick) I'm looking for the right ones."

Forward_Lateral
10-02-2017, 06:08 AM

"I'm not looking for the best players Craig, (Patrick) I'm looking for the right ones."
And that's proven to work for how many years in NE? Find guys that fit your system and drink the koolaid. If you have 50 guys pulling in the same direction with the same vision, it's much stronger than 45 pulling and 5 in a different direction.

Mouldsie
10-02-2017, 08:24 AM
Respect the saying of Trust the Process

BertSquirtgum
10-02-2017, 10:57 AM

Jonathan Williams must have been a real pompous smart ass dickhead to keep Tolbert instead of him. Tolbert is really bad as a runningback. Tolbert should be penciled in as a fullback.

baalworship
10-02-2017, 11:04 AM
By hiring McDermott the Bills were bound to get better results from their best unit, the defensive line by switching to a 4-3. Also, the Bills did not draft cerebral football players so running around in Frazier's simple scheme also makes everyone play faster. Roster also improved A LOT in the secondary with the additions of Hyde and Poyer. Poyer was an unknown but he is playing lights out.

So are these changes enough to sell me on McDermott the head coach and GM. No. I'll give them credit for 2 good wins in a row but I am not drinking the Koolaid on this one. Bills started 4-2 last year under Rex, a guy that no longer seemed interested in the job. That didn't end so well. I'll Trust The Process when I see a high caliber QB drafted and a plan to surround him with weapons. A good defense is nice but won't get us anywhere farther than Miami last year or the Jets the year before that.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-02-2017, 11:19 AM
I'll Trust The Process when I see a high caliber QB drafted ....

That's difficult because everyone is shooting for that. A lot of LUCK has to be involved for that to happen.

For some perspectives, when Cowher became the HC of the Steelers, they won a lot of games. Well run organization. But only when Roethlisberger fell to them that they began to win superbowls.

baalworship
10-02-2017, 02:35 PM
Yes, and the Bills had Mahomes and Watson sitting right there with teams begging to get up there. And they traded that chance to improve the QB position. Now they might not get that look again. That's on McDermott. If he doesn't come out of 2018 draft with a QB better than the guys he passed on then the Process sucks.

Homegrown
10-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Can one Trust the process without Respecting it? ....

Mouldsie
10-02-2017, 02:59 PM
Yes, and the Bills had Mahomes and Watson sitting right there with teams begging to get up there. And they traded that chance to improve the QB position. Now they might not get that look again. That's on McDermott. If he doesn't come out of 2018 draft with a QB better than the guys he passed on then the Process sucks.

Fair

psubills62
10-02-2017, 03:43 PM
By hiring McDermott the Bills were bound to get better results from their best unit, the defensive line by switching to a 4-3. Also, the Bills did not draft cerebral football players so running around in Frazier's simple scheme also makes everyone play faster. Roster also improved A LOT in the secondary with the additions of Hyde and Poyer. Poyer was an unknown but he is playing lights out.

So are these changes enough to sell me on McDermott the head coach and GM. No. I'll give them credit for 2 good wins in a row but I am not drinking the Koolaid on this one. Bills started 4-2 last year under Rex, a guy that no longer seemed interested in the job. That didn't end so well. I'll Trust The Process when I see a high caliber QB drafted and a plan to surround him with weapons. A good defense is nice but won't get us anywhere farther than Miami last year or the Jets the year before that.

I'm having serious trouble finding much in here I agree with.

So let me get this straight. If McDermott takes over a team who drafted 10th that isn't considered talented (sorry, nobody believed this an improved roster) and gets us high enough in the draft that we're out of reach of the 12th overall pick (Watson), then the process sucks?

baalworship
10-02-2017, 04:52 PM
I'm having serious trouble finding much in here I agree with.

So let me get this straight. If McDermott takes over a team who drafted 10th that isn't considered talented (sorry, nobody believed this an improved roster) and gets us high enough in the draft that we're out of reach of the 12th overall pick (Watson), then the process sucks?

The Bills had the 10th overall pick. They had their choice of Patrick Mahomes or Deshawn Watson, two highly thought of prospects that mutiple NFL teams were calling to acquire. There was no need to do anything other than turn in their card for the highest rated QB on their board. Or are you a believer in building a team around Tyrod Taylor? Passing on QB after QB is something the Bills have done that has kept them irrelevant for 20 years.

YardRat
10-02-2017, 04:55 PM
Not passing on QB after QB is one of the things that has kept Cleveland irrelevant for so long.

imbondz
10-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Respect the saying of Trust the Process

lol

baalworship
10-02-2017, 04:59 PM
Not passing on QB after QB is one of the things that has kept Cleveland irrelevant for so long.

The Browns are just dumb. They had a chance to grab Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, or Jimmy Garrapolo in 2014 but their owner overruled the football guys and picked Johnny Football. They have a lot of talented young players but need to get someone better than Kizer in there or they will continue to be a dumpster fire.

YardRat
10-02-2017, 05:01 PM
The Browns are just dumb. They had a chance to grab Derek Carr, Teddy Bridgewater, or Jimmy Garrapolo in 2014 but their owner overruled the football guys and picked Johnny Football. They have a lot of talented young players but need to get someone better than Kizer in there or they will continue to be a dumpster fire.

Manziel isn't the only QB they have whiffed on. Just another on a long list.

baalworship
10-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Manziel isn't the only QB they have whiffed on. Just another on a long list.

Absolutely. It would take years to cover all their screw ups.

psubills62
10-02-2017, 08:15 PM
The Bills had the 10th overall pick. They had their choice of Patrick Mahomes or Deshawn Watson, two highly thought of prospects that mutiple NFL teams were calling to acquire. There was no need to do anything other than turn in their card for the highest rated QB on their board. Or are you a believer in building a team around Tyrod Taylor? Passing on QB after QB is something the Bills have done that has kept them irrelevant for 20 years.
Most QB's in that range are deemed reaches. They're not good enough to be top 5 locks, but good enough that QB-needy teams will reach for them. Mahomes was probably the least "reach" of the last decade drafted in that range, but Watson definitely was considered a reach at that point.

I don't believe on building a team around Taylor at all. I believe in building the best team possible, and when you have an opportunity to take a QB you love, do it. If you don't love a QB, don't reach to take him just because you feel like you need a QB. I also don't believe that coming out of the 2018 draft without a top QB will automatically make Beane/McDermott some kind of failure.

baalworship
10-03-2017, 03:05 PM
Most QB's in that range are deemed reaches. They're not good enough to be top 5 locks, but good enough that QB-needy teams will reach for them. Mahomes was probably the least "reach" of the last decade drafted in that range, but Watson definitely was considered a reach at that point.

I don't believe on building a team around Taylor at all. I believe in building the best team possible, and when you have an opportunity to take a QB you love, do it. If you don't love a QB, don't reach to take him just because you feel like you need a QB. I also don't believe that coming out of the 2018 draft without a top QB will automatically make Beane/McDermott some kind of failure.

The problem is the Pegulas did not have a general manager in place for the draft. Sean McDermott, with no relevant front office experience, was making the picks off Whaley's board. So the Bills punted on QB in a year where very good prospects were sitting there all because Terry Pegula didn't have a solid plan in place to take advantage of the draft. By all reports, Sean would have taken a cornerback at ten if the trade did not happen. The Bills new head coach was going corner no matter what.

YardRat
10-03-2017, 06:57 PM
What makes Beane more qualified to make a draft pick than McD? His title?

psubills62
10-03-2017, 08:42 PM
The problem is the Pegulas did not have a general manager in place for the draft. Sean McDermott, with no relevant front office experience, was making the picks off Whaley's board. So the Bills punted on QB in a year where very good prospects were sitting there all because Terry Pegula didn't have a solid plan in place to take advantage of the draft. By all reports, Sean would have taken a cornerback at ten if the trade did not happen. The Bills new head coach was going corner no matter what.
McDermott was hired in January. I guess you consider him completely incapable of watching any film himself of the QB's. The fact you think they "punted" on QB's is an absolutely ridiculous notion. I'm sure McDermott came in and figured since Whaley wasn't going to last, they just weren't going to bother scouting QB's. Not worth the time and effort and if they happened to pass on a franchise type of player, well I guess that's how it goes, right?

And rumors about the draft are just that, rumors. Maybe they would have gone corner at 10, maybe not. Doubt they would have gone QB if they had stayed, because if they wanted one, they would have taken one instead of trading down.

baalworship
10-03-2017, 10:34 PM
McDermott was hired in January. I guess you consider him completely incapable of watching any film himself of the QB's. The fact you think they "punted" on QB's is an absolutely ridiculous notion. I'm sure McDermott came in and figured since Whaley wasn't going to last, they just weren't going to bother scouting QB's. Not worth the time and effort and if they happened to pass on a franchise type of player, well I guess that's how it goes, right?

And rumors about the draft are just that, rumors. Maybe they would have gone corner at 10, maybe not. Doubt they would have gone QB if they had stayed, because if they wanted one, they would have taken one instead of trading down.

When the Buffalo Bills traded down from the tenth overall selection in the 2017 NFL Draft on Thursday night, they left a lot of talent remaining on the board. According to multiple reports, Ohio State cornerback Marshon Lattimore was the player they were targeting if the trade they orchestrated with the Kansas City Chiefs didn’t come to fruition.

WGR 550’s Sal Capaccio was the strongest in his wording: “My info says Bills were going to draft CB Marshon Lattimore before trade was finalized with Chiefs.”

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/4/28/15463700/2017-nfl-draft-results-bills-targeting-marshon-lattimore-first-round-tredavious-white

Imagine if the Sabres had hired Phil Housley and had him pick the players in the latest draft. That would have elicited laughter from other teams and the NHL.

Chet
10-03-2017, 11:49 PM
What sets you apart in this league is a franchise QB...that's what separates the haves and have-nots. We all have guarded optimism about our start, but deep down we know something's not quite right about this team. I love TT's heart, but he's a very limited QB in a league that is now predicated on passing the ball. You can have poor offensive lines and still be successful in this league (Packers, Seahawks, etc), but w/o a franchise QB you have a clearly defined ceiling on what your team is capable of. This is why I was baffled at some of the responses in the Luck thread, especially since we haven't seen competent QB play in 20 years.

k-oneputt
10-04-2017, 04:29 AM
Don't be baffled Chet, just the tip of the iceberg around here.
The plan I believe is to use all those draft picks they've accumulated to move into position to get that franchise qb this coming draft. I will wait to see how they work that next draft before passing judgement on their process.
I think the one think we can all agree on is this team is well coached and prepared every week, at least thus far, and is heading in the right direction.

YardRat
10-04-2017, 05:42 AM
Don't be baffled Chet, just the tip of the iceberg around here.
The plan I believe is to use all those draft picks they've accumulated to move into position to get that franchise qb this coming draft. I will wait to see how they work that next draft before passing judgement on their process.
I think the one think we can all agree on is this team is well coached and prepared every week, at least thus far, and is heading in the right direction.
So who is 'that guy'?

k-oneputt
10-04-2017, 06:52 AM
Who I want doesn't matter.
I wanted Mahones and you see what happened there.
Who they want I really have no idea.
I want Darnold. If not him I would be happy with Rudolph or Rosen.

baalworship
10-04-2017, 07:12 AM
Who I want doesn't matter.
I wanted Mahones and you see what happened there.
Who they want I really have no idea.
I want Darnold. If not him I would be happy with Rudolph or Rosen.

And I agree with you. Mahomes is looking better than any of the 2018 class right now. But hey, trade away a ton of picks to get a QB that is worse would be such a Bills move. I don't even think that's the plan. I think Bills pull a cheap out move and trade up from one of their 2nds to grab the 2018 version of Kizer.

psubills62
10-04-2017, 07:54 AM
When the Buffalo Bills traded down from the tenth overall selection in the 2017 NFL Draft on Thursday night, they left a lot of talent remaining on the board. According to multiple reports, Ohio State cornerback Marshon Lattimore was the player they were targeting if the trade they orchestrated with the Kansas City Chiefs didn’t come to fruition.

WGR 550’s Sal Capaccio was the strongest in his wording: “My info says Bills were going to draft CB Marshon Lattimore before trade was finalized with Chiefs.”

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/4/28/15463700/2017-nfl-draft-results-bills-targeting-marshon-lattimore-first-round-tredavious-white

Imagine if the Sabres had hired Phil Housley and had him pick the players in the latest draft. That would have elicited laughter from other teams and the NHL.
Having another CB targeted when their pick at 10 came up (a spot that had a lot of DB's at value at the time) does not mean they went into the draft only looking to draft a CB and were "punting" on QB.

baalworship
10-04-2017, 08:01 AM
Having another CB targeted when their pick at 10 came up (a spot that had a lot of DB's at value at the time) does not mean they went into the draft only looking to draft a CB and were "punting" on QB.

Interpret it how you want to. I know what that says to me. It also fits the other pieces and the drafting for need. Stephon Gilmore goes to FA, first pick is corner. Roberts Woods goes to FA, next pick is WR.

Historian
10-26-2017, 07:23 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DND73bWX0AAn1i-.jpg:large