PDA

View Full Version : The Bills certainly were lucky in Atlanta

ghz in pittsburgh
10-02-2017, 08:51 AM
I won't say the win was all smoke and mirrors, but they certainly got a lot of luck went their way in that game.

Both Julio Jones and Sanu out in games are big set back for them. Out during games is usually far worse then declared out because of preparation and reps. The Bills got a bit of that themselves after Mattews out - really no one for the slot.

Then the fumble returned for TD. I doubt anyone of us thought it was a fumble at the time. I was just happen that they were going to punt to be honest.

The 2nd Hyde INT.

Even the last play where White clearly hold the jersey some but was not called.

A win is a win. Just not sure the team is that good. I do like McDermott's process --- no one really explained what it is but I took it as simply everyone (one of eleven) doing his job. Some times others beat you at your job, which is still far better than under Rex where people didn't even know their jobs from play to play. That part --- some more talented guy will beat you when you are doing your job may come into play later this season, particularly when injuries mounts.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-02-2017, 09:04 AM
Did you know that in the comeback that Beebe stepped out of bounds before receiving the td? What else can we find to ***** about?

streetkings01
10-02-2017, 09:04 AM
Who cares......we won period. Our defense held them to 3 points thru 1.5 quarters while they both were on the field. The defense was holding its own against them and it would've continued. We beat Atlanta...........let the Pats, Dolphins and Jets worry about them now.

SpikedLemonade
10-02-2017, 09:05 AM
I agree we were lucky.

We deserve some luck.

Pennywise
10-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Did you know the Bills got ripped off WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY worse in New England in 1998 and the next year in the playoffs at Nashville?

Enjoy the freaking win.

Homegrown
10-02-2017, 09:16 AM
You've good to be good, to be lucky

feldspar
10-02-2017, 09:26 AM
I won't say the win was all smoke and mirrors, but they certainly got a lot of luck went their way in that game.

Both Julio Jones and Sanu out in games are big set back for them. Out during games is usually far worse then declared out because of preparation and reps. The Bills got a bit of that themselves after Mattews out - really no one for the slot.

Then the fumble returned for TD. I doubt anyone of us thought it was a fumble at the time. I was just happen that they were going to punt to be honest.

The 2nd Hyde INT.

A win is a win. Just not sure the team is that good. I do like McDermott's process --- no one really explained what it is but I took it as simply everyone (one of eleven) doing his job. Some times others beat you at your job, which is still far better than under Rex where people didn't even know their jobs from play to play. That part --- some more talented guy will beat you when you are doing your job may come into play later this season, particularly when injuries mounts.

The fumble return for a TD I still think was a horrible call.

But the Hyde INT was legit. The ball is allowed to touch the ground if the player has control of it, which Hyde did. The ball didn't move because of the ground. He had a firm grasp of it. That was the right call.

Slightly grabbing the jersey on that 4 th-and-one at the end would have been a MAJOR ticky-tack call. It shouldn't have been made IMO. I'd say the same thing if the teams were reversed. The receiver's progress was not impeded whatsoever.

The injury to Jones helped us, no doubt.

But the Bills played well enough to win this game regarless, and they did.

Topas
10-02-2017, 09:35 AM
I learned now about the open hand rule and I think it was the right call. At least if it called that way on the field there is no way that there is conclusive evidence that he still had grip on the ball. I think that was the correct call. Same as the tuck rule. Right call, stupid rule.
I take it.

Topas
10-02-2017, 09:38 AM
... Some times others beat you at your job, which is still far better than under Rex where people didn't even know their jobs from play to play.
hahaha, so true. In retrospect (especially with now having seemingly a competent Head coach), we can laugh about it now.

BillsOwnAll
10-02-2017, 09:38 AM
As they say

"Luck is created when preparation meets opportunity"

Every goood team "gets lucky" here and there. IE the pats

The King
10-02-2017, 09:41 AM
If the Bills lost this game the effort was still impressive. The Bills are working their asses off. There's no question this team is not as talented as Atlanta but those guys are grinding. Getting rid of our Prima Donnas has really shown some character. It's really exciting to think about what this team is going to look like with all those draft picks too. We're not going to win the next 12 games but if we keep playing like this it's going to be hard to be disappointed in this team.

BillsFanCupp38
10-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Luck or not, wins are hard to come by in the NFL especially on the road against a quality teams. I'll take it.

Historian
10-02-2017, 09:45 AM
"Luck, is when preparation meets opportunity." -Marv Levy

Novacane
10-02-2017, 10:05 AM
How many games have we lost on close/bad calls? We still have a lot of evening out to do!

BillsOwnAll
10-02-2017, 10:06 AM
"Luck, is when preparation meets opportunity." -Marv Levy
The be fair a Roman philosopher was credited with the creation of this proverb, also, I said it 4 posts up :0

Joe Fo Sho
10-02-2017, 10:14 AM
I thought the call on the fumble recovery TD was as terrible as the call against Von Miller when we played the Broncos.

I loved every minute of both of those calls.

THATHURMANATOR
10-02-2017, 10:19 AM

The 2nd Hyde INT.

Ok thanks!

Forward_Lateral
10-02-2017, 10:20 AM
That was a fumble, by the rulebook. The ball was coming loose before he threw it. Therefore, it's a fumble. You can't volley a ball and call it a forward pass.

imbondz
10-02-2017, 10:30 AM
Did you know that in the comeback that Beebe stepped out of bounds before receiving the td? What else can we find to ***** about?
Was that 4th down? Can’t remember even tho I’ve watched the game 10 times.

imbondz
10-02-2017, 10:36 AM

The 2nd Hyde INT.

9 out of every 10 games happens this way. Bout time the calls went our way! I understand this mentality cuz we’ve been losers for 17 years but if you can’t see that we can compete with elite teams this season you’re not watching closely. That doesn’t mean we don’t completely collapse next week but so far our D is elite. First time in franchise history we’ve beaten 2 undefeated teams back to back.

BertSquirtgum
10-02-2017, 10:44 AM

The 2nd Hyde INT.

Bills Win!!! Stop the hating and crying. We're 3-1 and look like we could be good for the first time in a long time. Give it a rest until we suck again.

OpIv37
10-02-2017, 10:47 AM
Yeah some luck was involved.

But how many times have we lost close games due to bad calls, foolish turnovers and/or being decimated by injury? This is one of the few times I recall the luck going in our favor. Usually it works against us. So, I'll take it.

Generalissimus Gibby
10-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Was that 4th down? Can’t remember even tho I’ve watched the game 10 times.

No Reed caught the TD on 4th Down. On this play Beebe ran down the sideline and stepped out of bounds. Jerry Gray stopped covering him because the ref was looking right at Beebe's direction and thought for sure Beebe would have been ruled out of bounds. I don't feel sorry for Gray because he blew loads as DC and because well you never ****ing stop covering your assignment until the play is over

Joe Fo Sho
10-02-2017, 11:54 AM
Both Julio Jones and Sanu out in games are big set back for them. Out during games is usually far worse then declared out because of preparation and reps.

Let's double Jones' and Sanu's production in the 1st half and see what they were on pace for:

Julio Jones - 6 catches, 60 yards
Muhamed Sanu - 2 catches, 6 yards, 2 rushes, 8 yards

We were doing pretty good against these guys in the 1st half when they were healthy.

Skooby
10-02-2017, 12:23 PM
You make your own luck in the pros.

Albany,n.y.
10-02-2017, 12:25 PM
Isn't it about time that on a Monday we're hearing that the refs gave us the game instead of that the refs stole the game from us?

Mr. Cynical
10-02-2017, 12:37 PM
You've good to be good, to be lucky

This. You don't see crap teams like Cleveland getting lucky and winning games. Sure, they got some breaks, but they also had to CAPITALIZE (pun intended) on those breaks, which takes skill and effort. Clearly not doing an SB dance - not even close - but I also won't piss away a win due to "luck". We've seen enough the last 17 years to know the difference.

streetkings01
10-02-2017, 12:39 PM
How many games have we lost on close/bad calls? We still have a lot of evening out to do!Last years Seahawks game comes to mind.

tomz
10-02-2017, 12:43 PM
The fumble return for a TD I still think was a horrible call.

But the Hyde INT was legit. The ball is allowed to touch the ground if the player has control of it, which Hyde did. The ball didn't move because of the ground. He had a firm grasp of it. That was the right call.

Slightly grabbing the jersey on that 4 th-and-one at the end would have been a MAJOR ticky-tack call. It shouldn't have been made IMO. I'd say the same thing if the teams were reversed. The receiver's progress was not impeded whatsoever.

The injury to Jones helped us, no doubt.

But the Bills played well enough to win this game regarless, and they did.

The replays showed clearly that he lost his grip on the ball. The ball was sideways when he pushed it forward. Not a pass. What's the issue?

Jan Reimers
10-02-2017, 12:46 PM
I think that if 1,000 more lucky calls go our way, we will be about even since 1960.

tomz
10-02-2017, 12:47 PM
BTW I was at the game. Didn't see the hold on White. Saw 86 replays of the Ryan fumble.

Their new stadium is awesome. We could only hope for something that nice in WNY. And LOTS of Atlanta fans disguised as empty seats. Bills section was right below me. Impressive turnout!

imbondz
10-02-2017, 12:59 PM
BTW I was at the game. Didn't see the hold on White. Saw 86 replays of the Ryan fumble.
Their new stadium is awesome. We could only hope for something that nice in WNY. And LOTS of Atlanta fans disguised as empty seats. Bills section was right below me. Impressive turnout!

I was at the game too. The amount of Bills fans there was insane to me. I asked Falcons fans if it was more than other teams or less and they all said more. Stadium is ridiculously cool.

Bill Cody
10-02-2017, 01:14 PM
oh those lucky lucky Bills

lol

Albany,n.y.
10-02-2017, 01:43 PM
The replays showed clearly that he lost his grip on the ball. The ball was sideways when he pushed it forward. Not a pass. What's the issue?

The issue is that 99 out of 100 times when a team that was in the Super Bowl, led by a franchise QB, has that play against a long time non-playoff team, it's called an incomplete pass. Even if it was the right call, it's almost never called that way.
The league still owed us for what I still think was another right call that is never called that went against us. In the 1990s I was at a Bills game vs the Dolphins. Kelly threw the ball out of the endzone into the stands and it was called intentional grounding. I've never seen that play called intentional grounding before or after that one time. On the next play Kelly was intercepted in the endzone & Miami ran it back for a pick 6. It tool over 20 years, but that NFL has finally redeemed themselves.

sukie
10-02-2017, 02:28 PM
The issue is that 99 out of 100 times when a team that was in the Super Bowl, led by a franchise QB, has that play against a long time non-playoff team, it's called an incomplete pass. Even if it was the right call, it's almost never called that way.
The league still owed us for what I still think was another right call that is never called that went against us. In the 1990s I was at a Bills game vs the Dolphins. Kelly threw the ball out of the endzone into the stands and it was called intentional grounding. I've never seen that play called intentional grounding before or after that one time. On the next play Kelly was intercepted in the endzone & Miami ran it back for a pick 6. It tool over 20 years, but that NFL has finally redeemed themselves.

Time to let it go... Breathe

John Doe
10-02-2017, 02:36 PM
When a team does not turn the ball over, good luck seems to follow.