PDA

View Full Version : WR's & Walt Powell

Mouldsie
10-02-2017, 11:28 AM
I wanted to discuss the WR group:

I believe they are a below average unit... among the worst in the league. I believe this does make the offense/Tyrod (and any Bills QB) a bit less effective than it could otherwise be. I believe the Watkins trade was a mistake from a competitive standpoint in 2017.

That said, it's over and he's gone and so is the monetary/injury risk he came with.

Perhaps Beane did not anticipate the team playing this well either. So now that we are where we are: could we make a move for a WR? Who might be available who can contribute? I look at a team like the Chargers who have a deep group and are off to a poor start so they might want to switch it up (and they should get Mike Williams back in a couple weeks). Anyone else? Would Beane risk draft capital for WR help if this team sits at 4-1 going into the bye? Could Josh Gordon somehow get reinstated? Maybe McDermott could call in a favor from his old Pal Andy Reid and ask about Demarcus Robinson? The last idea off the top of my head would be Jarvis Landry who Miami doesn't seem interested in paying and is in the last year of his contract. If Miami struggles maybe they look to change some things, though Landry doesn't exactly give us the deep outside threat he can get open in the 0-10 yard range with his quickness and route running.

----

Final note: I think Walt Powell might actually be the best WR on the team, as sad as that sounds. I am glad he's back this week!

YardRat
10-02-2017, 01:32 PM
I wonder if Boldin is having second thoughts.

I don't want to trade draft assets for a WR right now, but with Matthews injury something is going to have to be done. Wouldn't mind seeing Brandon Reilly brought up from the PS.

Ed
10-02-2017, 01:41 PM
I don't really see them making any significant moves other than activating Powell, and/or promoting Reilly or Dupre from the PS. Not sure how I feel about Boldin returning if his heart's not in it.

I think they'll just make do with what they have and hope that Matthews can return sooner than later. With the bye coming up, maybe he only misses a couple games.

Skooby
10-02-2017, 01:51 PM
Boldin is still available for Buffalo but he hasn't spent anymore time in the system, that being said I hope he reconsiders and comes back.

sukie
10-02-2017, 02:26 PM
No to Boldin. Don't need him. Grow with these wide outs. Don't want to poison the soup of the first QTR season.

Joe Fo Sho
10-02-2017, 02:48 PM
WR's are the least important position on this team with Tyrod at QB, I wouldn't give up a draft pick for a WR right now. Over the last 2 years, our top receiver has averaged less than 4 catches per game. We can get that production from almost any professional ball catcher.

Mouldsie
10-02-2017, 02:57 PM
Where to even start....

Wally The Barber
10-02-2017, 02:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4TczdX2cns

Oaf
10-02-2017, 03:00 PM
Our WRs are hot garbage. Legitimate ones would've made the catches that K. Clay and Jones couldn't get to. Not saying they won't improve, but I am stunned we won with that sort of production on the outside. Kudos to Tyrod.

M
10-02-2017, 03:25 PM
And Walt Powell has been released.

streetkings01
10-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Andre Holmes and Zay Jones have to step up.

jamze132
10-02-2017, 03:45 PM
Need to make a trade. One more game before the bye week. Cinci is beatable right now...I'd hate to go in their and do nothing on offense because we don't have **** for receivers.

YardRat
10-02-2017, 03:55 PM
Why hang on to Powell for a month and then cut him?

kingJofNYC
10-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Yeah, that's a good question.

Hopefully it's something we don't know about, because there's not much logic to it from the outside.

Jan Reimers
10-02-2017, 04:57 PM
Where are Drew Haddad, Mike Williams and Dez Lewis when we need them?

OLDSRIP
10-02-2017, 04:58 PM

Can you cut a guy while he is suspended?

my guess is no. That's why thy. Cut him when the suspension ended.

or not

Night Train
10-02-2017, 05:09 PM
I wonder if Boldin is having second thoughts.

I don't want to trade draft assets for a WR right now, but with Matthews injury something is going to have to be done. Wouldn't mind seeing Brandon Reilly brought up from the PS.

This.. Promote Reilly, for sure.

Our top receiver is Clay, as well it should be. He has been ignored far too long.

swiper
10-02-2017, 05:12 PM

I believe they are a below average unit... among the worst in the league. I believe this does make the offense/Tyrod (and any Bills QB) a bit less effective than it could otherwise be. I believe the Watkins trade was a mistake from a competitive standpoint in 2017.

That said, it's over and he's gone and so is the monetary/injury risk he came with.

Perhaps Beane did not anticipate the team playing this well either. So now that we are where we are: could we make a move for a WR? Who might be available who can contribute? I look at a team like the Chargers who have a deep group and are off to a poor start so they might want to switch it up (and they should get Mike Williams back in a couple weeks). Anyone else? Would Beane risk draft capital for WR help if this team sits at 4-1 going into the bye? Could Josh Gordon somehow get reinstated? Maybe McDermott could call in a favor from his old Pal Andy Reid and ask about Demarcus Robinson? The last idea off the top of my head would be Jarvis Landry who Miami doesn't seem interested in paying and is in the last year of his contract. If Miami struggles maybe they look to change some things, though Landry doesn't exactly give us the deep outside threat he can get open in the 0-10 yard range with his quickness and route running.

----

Final note: I think Walt Powell might actually be the best WR on the team, as sad as that sounds. I am glad he's back this week!

LOL @ your Powell comment. To the other, you're being wildly unrealistic. I believe you have what you're going to have at WR here right now barring them bringing in a street free agent for a look see here or there. They may pluck someone off another practice squad if injuries put their roster number down. But outside of that stop looking for things like Boldin coming back. That would be a dumb mistake. And they're never going to give away a draft pick for somebody else's albatross.

YardRat
10-02-2017, 05:18 PM
Our WRs are hot garbage. Legitimate ones would've made the catches that K. Clay and Jones couldn't get to. Not saying they won't improve, but I am stunned we won with that sort of production on the outside. Kudos to Tyrod.

Well, let's be real...

Who has the most titles in the 21st century?
Who have their WR's been when they've won it all?
Who are their biggest threats in the passing game?

Oaf
10-02-2017, 05:29 PM
Powell is gone… Thought he was a gamer as well.

Ed
10-02-2017, 05:47 PM
He didn't count as a roster spot and they didn't have to pay him either, so it really doesn't hurt to keep a guy on the suspended list. They probably just wanted to be able to re-evaluate their options when his suspension was up.

Night Train
10-02-2017, 05:59 PM
Who are their biggest threats in the passing game?

Their QB.

endzone
10-02-2017, 06:13 PM

----

Sammy had just ONE CATCH for 17 yards in the Rams big win Sunday. He's a nice talent to have on the roster but not a go to receiver.

Mouldsie
10-02-2017, 10:12 PM
So long for Powell.

You can release someone under suspension BTW. We did it with Fat Karlos

Oaf
10-03-2017, 11:15 AM
Some options… https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/10/3/16406994/buffalo-bills-trade-options-low-risk-targets-wide-receiver-jordan-matthews-injury

DraftBoy
10-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Some options… https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2017/10/3/16406994/buffalo-bills-trade-options-low-risk-targets-wide-receiver-jordan-matthews-injury

If he's available, I'd take a run at Moncrief.