PDA

View Full Version : Poor Anthony Lynn

Albany,n.y.
10-02-2017, 12:22 PM
I feel sorry for the guy. He's head coach of a team that for all intents & purposes, has no home field. The stadium was full (well even at it's capacity, it's hard to use the word full) of Eagles fans yesterday. I'm sure when I go to the game on 11/19, I'll be seeing more of my Bills brethren than Chargers fans.

Now, for full disclosure, I was against Lynn being hired as Bills coach because I didn't want any carryover from Rex's staff getting a promotion within the Bills organization, and I think we got the right coach. But, with the hand he's been dealt, it's going to be tough for Lynn to get any traction as an NFL head coach and is likely to rejoin the assistant ranks long before the end of the McDermott era in Buffalo.

At what point would it be wise for an assistant coach in the NFL to turn down an opportunity to be a head coach? It may mean he'll never get another shot, but at the same time going to a no-win situation can ruin your career as well. Once it was obvious the Bills were not going to hire him, Lynn was put into a very bad corner: accept what might turn out to be the worst coaching job in the league, or miss what might be the only opportunity to be a head coach. I remember Dave McGinnis turned down the Bears in 1999 & a year later got the Arizona job (the team he was an assistant with) and then proceeded to have a horrible record, 17-40 for 3 1/2 seasons and never was a head coach again. Meanwhile 2 head coaches who quit the Bills got other chances & both are current NFL head coaches. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Mouldsie
10-02-2017, 12:32 PM
I've pondered that a lot too. I think at the end of the day since these are competitive people they tend to take the opportunity but when we hired Chan I think some guys were waiting for a better opportunity as we were a laughing stock at the time.

Another example: Mike Pettine may have made a mistake in taking the Browns job when he did. Might have cost him his only HC chance.

Mularkey and Marrone both resigned from our team which may have given them a leg up on a 2nd chance.

YardRat
10-02-2017, 05:29 PM
If you get a shot, you take it. Even if the first gig is a failure, it'll just be a couple of years in the assistant ranks until another comes around...most guys get a second chance to redeem themselves.

swiper
10-02-2017, 05:32 PM
I've pondered that a lot too. I think at the end of the day since these are competitive people they tend to take the opportunity but when we hired Chan I think some guys were waiting for a better opportunity as we were a laughing stock at the time.

Another example: Mike Pettine may have made a mistake in taking the Browns job when he did. Might have cost him his only HC chance.

Mularkey and Marrone both resigned from our team which may have given them a leg up on a 2nd chance.

All because ownership in Buffalo has sucked forever.

Turf
10-02-2017, 05:34 PM
All I can say is we got the right guy, and thank God is wasn't Anthony Lynn, we'd be 1-3 or 0-4.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
10-02-2017, 06:22 PM
I feel sorry for the guy. He's head coach of a team that for all intents & purposes, has no home field. The stadium was full (well even at it's capacity, it's hard to use the word full) of Eagles fans yesterday. I'm sure when I go to the game on 11/19, I'll be seeing more of my Bills brethren than Chargers fans.

Now, for full disclosure, I was against Lynn being hired as Bills coach because I didn't want any carryover from Rex's staff getting a promotion within the Bills organization, and I think we got the right coach. But, with the hand he's been dealt, it's going to be tough for Lynn to get any traction as an NFL head coach and is likely to rejoin the assistant ranks long before the end of the McDermott era in Buffalo.

At what point would it be wise for an assistant coach in the NFL to turn down an opportunity to be a head coach? It may mean he'll never get another shot, but at the same time going to a no-win situation can ruin your career as well. Once it was obvious the Bills were not going to hire him, Lynn was put into a very bad corner: accept what might turn out to be the worst coaching job in the league, or miss what might be the only opportunity to be a head coach. I remember Dave McGinnis turned down the Bears in 1999 & a year later got the Arizona job (the team he was an assistant with) and then proceeded to have a horrible record, 17-40 for 3 1/2 seasons and never was a head coach again. Meanwhile 2 head coaches who quit the Bills got other chances & both are current NFL head coaches. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Sweet 11/19 I am going to look for tickets.

kgun12
10-02-2017, 06:54 PM
I do believe there is a coach in our division that sucked his first opportunity and look at him now! And like what was already mentioned, if you get a chance to get one of the 32 head coaching jobs you take it!

POTLAND PSILBYLO
10-02-2017, 07:20 PM
Haha! Section 101 Row B seat 9

Night Train
10-02-2017, 07:38 PM
His play calling has been terrible, according to reports.

Albany,n.y.
10-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Haha! Section 101 Row B seat 9

I'm on the other side of the stadium, section 125 row X.

feldspar
10-04-2017, 10:20 AM
I don't see what his qualifications to be a head coach were in the first place.

I don't feel sorry for him at all. I'd be sorry if the Bills hired him in that capacity, though...

John Doe
10-04-2017, 02:08 PM
When Lynn got the Chargers job I thought that he was lucky to be in a situation with good QB, receivers, running back, and pass rushers already in place.

He hasn't done much with it so far.

POTLAND PSILBYLO
10-04-2017, 09:54 PM
I'm on the other side of the stadium, section 125 row X.

Dang. Look for me with the blue jersey

Captainrc4
10-05-2017, 11:12 AM

I wouldnt say "Poor Anthony Lynn." He is a product of Rex and watching the Chargers games he game plans the same way. Lynn is not a good head coach, he wasnt even a good OC in my opinion. Yes, the numbers say otherwise, but a lot of that had to do with McCoy and Taylor (As much as it pains me to say that). I am glad he didnt get the HC job for the Bills. I wanted McDermott or McVeigh when the Bills were looking, I am glad we got one of them. We are much better than I thought we would be and it feels great to have a dominate defense once again.