PDA

View Full Version : The matt ryan fumble white TD

BillsOwnAll
10-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Does anyone have a replay of that in slow mo, in trying to show my brother and cannot find it anywhere. THanks

Joe Fo Sho
10-02-2017, 08:26 PM
http://video.nfl.com/films/vodzilla/83392/Cant_Miss_Play__TreDavious_White_runs_in-Pz9lSi6t-20171001_120243122_5000k.mp4

The end of that video has it.

BillsOwnAll
10-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Thanks a million

sahlensguy
10-02-2017, 08:54 PM
As it turns out, I don't know what is a catch OR a forward pass is anymore.

yordad
10-02-2017, 09:33 PM
He lost control. That's obvious. What isn't is whether he regained control or batted the ball forward. You cannot throw a ball unless u have possession

Crisis
10-02-2017, 10:39 PM
If that happened to us, Bills fans would still be complaining about how the NFL is rigged.

BillsOwnAll
10-02-2017, 10:43 PM
If that happened to us, Bills fans would still be complaining about how the NFL is rigged. I don't think it's rigged per say, I feel like the rules are so technical and everyone has a slightly different view on them. So when you see a slow mo video 100 times it depends on your view of the rule, never mind the way people get mad at refs who are suppose to make these calls in real time.

ublinkwescore
10-02-2017, 10:44 PM
Would ANY qb intentionally throw a ball with that grip on it? Hell no... he started to come forward because the ball was stripped and he was committed to passing the ball before he realized what happened. It was a fumble. And he did not regain control of the ball. If he did, he wouldn't have thrown a dead duck straight to the ground.

BillsOwnAll
10-02-2017, 10:48 PM
Would ANY qb intentionally throw a ball with that grip on it? Hell no... he started to come forward because the ball was stripped and he was committed to passing the ball before he realized what happened. It was a fumble. And he did not regain control of the ball. If he did, he wouldn't have thrown a dead duck straight to the ground.
That's probally the most valid explanation I've heard.

I agree he did not have control of the ball. It's just seems very inconsistent with the way those plays were called in the past, but it feels damn good to be on the good side of a questionable call that's for sure.

kishoph
10-03-2017, 03:35 AM
As it turns out, I don't know what is a catch OR a forward pass is anymore.

Or pass interference, late hit, etc. Although, what is a catch is the worst. The officiating in the league has no consistency, replay adds more controversy because they can't even get it right much of the time. This past Sunday's Bills game, it seemed that every other series there was a play that I had no idea what the final call would be, even with the replay showing what it should be.

ublinkwescore
10-03-2017, 04:48 AM
Or pass interference, late hit, etc. Although, what is a catch is the worst. The officiating in the league has no consistency, replay adds more controversy because they can't even get it right much of the time. This past Sunday's Bills game, it seemed that every other series there was a play that I had no idea what the final call would be, even with the replay showing what it should be.

Some times the refs just let them play.

Chet
10-03-2017, 04:51 AM
If the situation was reversed we'd be screaming bloody murder

DraftBoy
10-03-2017, 06:40 AM
If the situation was reversed we'd be screaming bloody murder

We would and I think Falcons fans are justified to be upset. It was a brutal call to go against them, but that happens sometimes.

Goobylal
10-03-2017, 06:59 AM
Look at the angle looking straight on at Ryan. There you see him slap/push the fumbled ball forward. The refs/league got it right.

jamze132
10-03-2017, 07:18 AM
There were two 50/50 plays that could have gone either way. Maybe I'm just conditioned as a lifelong Bills fans to expect the worst, but I honestly though they were going to overturn the fumble after review. Hyde's interception in the 4th was another that could have gone either way since you can clearly see the ball hit the ground but the saving grace for that call was that the ball didn't move in his hands. The nose can touch the ground as long as the player has complete control and I don't think there was enough evidence in the short time the officials have to overturn the call. Good thing for us and the NFL is that the officials let both plays continue. The NFL has come under a lot of fore for quick whistles and I'm glad they're letting them play it out.

DraftBoy
10-03-2017, 08:21 AM
Look at the angle looking straight on at Ryan. There you see him slap/push the fumbled ball forward. The refs/league got it right.

Yes, but that same angle only shows the ball begin to move. Then it stops moving and his arm continues forward. He clearly lost his initial grip, but appears (imo) to regain some semblance of control over the ball as his arm moves forward.

I'm certainly not complaining about the call or saying it was absolutely not a fumble. I just know that the call was a brutal one to have go against you.

streetkings01
10-03-2017, 09:03 AM
I saw it as a fumble. Hughes hit the ball loose.......he had no control of the football when he pushed it forward.

streetkings01
10-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Doesn't matter tho..........Falcons still would have lost the game.

daryls61
10-03-2017, 11:54 AM
If that happened to us, I would be raging pissed...

Cali512
10-03-2017, 12:30 PM
The problem with it being a fumble is I've seen QBs where the ball slips out and it goes forward and its never incomplete. If there was no Hughes and Ryan just lost a grip of the ball itd be incomplete. But regardless, I really think despite that, and even the injuries to Atlanta, we would've still won.

ublinkwescore
10-03-2017, 02:12 PM
The problem with it being a fumble is I've seen QBs where the ball slips out and it goes forward and its never incomplete. If there was no Hughes and Ryan just lost a grip of the ball itd be incomplete. But regardless, I really think despite that, and even the injuries to Atlanta, we would've still won.

But there was a Hughes.

Goobylal
10-03-2017, 03:30 PM
Yes, but that same angle only shows the ball begin to move. Then it stops moving and his arm continues forward. He clearly lost his initial grip, but appears (imo) to regain some semblance of control over the ball as his arm moves forward.

I'm certainly not complaining about the call or saying it was absolutely not a fumble. I just know that the call was a brutal one to have go against you.

I meant that you see on the side view that the ball is jarred loose by Hughes, but in the head-on view you see Ryan pushes it forward.

YardRat
10-03-2017, 05:38 PM
For as many times as we've been ****ed over by horrible calls, many times far more egregious than this specific one, I feel no compulsion to feel bad about being on the 'good' end for once.

Goobylal
10-03-2017, 05:51 PM
Just watched it again. It's a clear fumble and he was able to push it forward to appear like he was throwing a pass.

I have to wonder if the NFL reviewing plays at HQ is making calls more legitimate since you remove the hometown bias? Although I have no idea why the ref even needs to look at the play when HQ can look at every angle and decide, and just tell him what the call is?

PuntKicker
10-03-2017, 06:17 PM
Just watched it again. It's a clear fumble and he was able to push it forward to appear like he was throwing a pass.

I have to wonder if the NFL reviewing plays at HQ is making calls more legitimate since you remove the hometown bias? Although I have no idea why the ref even needs to look at the play when HQ can look at every angle and decide, and just tell him what the call is?

Are we absolutely certain they don't, or at least give a strong "suggestion"?

Buddo
10-03-2017, 06:36 PM
I think it's fair to say that where we got 'lucky', was in the calls on the field. If they had been the other way, i.e. incomplete passes, I seriously doubt the calls would have been reversed under challenge.

The Ryan one is the 'worst' of the two, as I'm not sure his hand actually does leave the football at all, although his control of it is certainly compromised.

I believe the Hyde one was a very good call, tbh, as in slow motion, you can clearly see he has both hands on the football, with daylight between the ball and the turf. In that instance, I think people don't realize, perhaps, that the 2d image, doesn't actually show just how much 'daylight' is actually between the ball and the turf. An official on the field, will actually perceive the correct amount, which if it looks like a couple of inches in the images, the reality could be almost twice that. While the tip of the football does make contact with the turf, at no stage does Hyde look even remotely out of control of it, even though it has the appearance of a 'trap'.

Goobylal
10-03-2017, 07:29 PM
Are we absolutely certain they don't, or at least give a strong "suggestion"?

Can't say for sure, but I think the decision comes from HQ.

Goobylal
10-03-2017, 07:31 PM
I think it's fair to say that where we got 'lucky', was in the calls on the field. If they had been the other way, i.e. incomplete passes, I seriously doubt the calls would have been reversed under challenge.

The Ryan one is the 'worst' of the two, as I'm not sure his hand actually does leave the football at all, although his control of it is certainly compromised.

I believe the Hyde one was a very good call, tbh, as in slow motion, you can clearly see he has both hands on the football, with daylight between the ball and the turf. In that instance, I think people don't realize, perhaps, that the 2d image, doesn't actually show just how much 'daylight' is actually between the ball and the turf. An official on the field, will actually perceive the correct amount, which if it looks like a couple of inches in the images, the reality could be almost twice that. While the tip of the football does make contact with the turf, at no stage does Hyde look even remotely out of control of it, even though it has the appearance of a 'trap'.

The Ryan call likely would have been reversed on a challenge had it not been called a fumble. He clearly loses control of it.

As for the Hyde catch, that's the "Bert Emanuel rule." You can trap it as long as you have both hands around it and control it completely.

Buffalogic
10-04-2017, 09:10 AM
The refs seem to be trying to let more plays play out and also seem to be sticking with the call on the field more this year in toss up scenarios.

Basically, it was inconclusive to me and in my mind, to the league, that Ryan regained his thumb on the ball after it was knocked loose. They only had one or two angles that they showed and neither showed the thumbs proximity to the ball. Looked like and open handed push more than a throw to me.

kishoph
10-04-2017, 10:43 AM
The refs seem to be trying to let more plays play out and also seem to be sticking with the call on the field more this year in toss up scenarios.

Basically, it was inconclusive to me and in my mind, to the league, that Ryan regained his thumb on the ball after it was knocked loose. They only had one or two angles that they showed and neither showed the thumbs proximity to the ball. Looked like and open handed push more than a throw to me.

https://ibb.co/fkM30b

ublinkwescore
10-04-2017, 05:06 PM
A fumble. Period.