PDA

View Full Version : Would you be ok with Buffalo...

ublinkwescore
10-02-2017, 10:53 PM
Purposely losing to say the chiefs or some one else to eliminate new England from a wild card if we lock the division up? I say we damn well better unless it costs us home field of course...

BillsOwnAll
10-02-2017, 10:54 PM
I don't see how that makes sense..

ublinkwescore
10-02-2017, 11:00 PM
It's pretty simple. I promise you...

ICRockets
10-02-2017, 11:03 PM
Purposely losing

No.

TigerJ
10-02-2017, 11:06 PM
Sweep the Patriots and they have 4 losses. I'll take my chances that they can find a way to lose a couple additional games and find their own way out of the playoffs.

ublinkwescore
10-02-2017, 11:09 PM
Sweep the Patriots and they have 4 losses. I'll take my chances that they can find a way to lose a couple additional games and find their own way out of the playoffs.

What if they need help to find their way out of the playoffs?

Also, if I were McDermott, and I did throw a game to eliminate new England, is totally confess to it after I retired and giggle about it like a fat kid in a candy store.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if I were McDermott, and I did throw a game to eliminate new England, is totally confess to it after I retired and giggle about it like a fat kid in a candy store.

ICRockets
10-02-2017, 11:21 PM
We play the Chiefs before the Pats, so in order to feel safe with this very, very dumb idea we'd have to have AT MINIMUM a 4-game division lead so that losses to the Chiefs and Patriots would not close the gap.

There are 6 games between now and then. We have a 1-game lead now. That means if we went 6-0 from now until the game at Arrowhead, we'd need the Patriots to go 3-3. In that situation we'd be riding an 8-game win streak and you're suggesting we deliberately tank it?

ICRockets
10-02-2017, 11:33 PM
And let's take this further. For this to not be the stupidest dumb**** idea in the history of this forum, the Chiefs would have to be locked out of a potential division title with 6 games left. If they lose the next 6 while Denver wins their next 6, putting the Broncos at 9-1 and the Chiefs at 4-6, they still have a mathematical shot at the division title. Likewise, if we go 6-0 in the next 6 games to the Pats' 3-3, we're also 9-1 and competing for the #1 seed in the AFC. And you would ask that we throw that away based on the assumption that a team that just lost 6 straight could make the playoffs over the Patriots.

How you can make this thread with a straight face and still probably think I'm wrong for calling you unfathomably stupid will be forever beyond my comprehension. This thread belongs in Spam, and you belong in some sort of Remedial GED program.

BillsOwnAll
10-02-2017, 11:41 PM
I agree I was confused from the beginning, only way it would work out is if chiefs were week 17.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree I was confused from the beginning, only way it would work out is if chiefs were week 17.

ICRockets
10-02-2017, 11:42 PM
And for you dumbasses who are going to say I'm wrong to assume blink is really, really, really, really stupid for making this thread, consider that I debunked any notion that it's a feasible scenario within 30 minutes of becoming aware of its existence. That means that one of a few things must be true. EITHER:

1) Blink thought of the thread and immediately posted it without making any effort to check if it has any mathematical efficacy;

2) Blink thought of the thread, mulled it over in his head, and STILL made no effort to check if it had any mathematical efficacy;

3) Blink thought of the thread, made an effort to check if it had any mathematical efficacy and did so INCORRECTLY;

4) Blink thought of the thread, CONFIRMED that it has no mathematical efficacy, and posted it anyway.

One of those 4 scenarios has to be true. None of them are representative of an intelligent individual. No matter how you look at it, Blink proved himself stupid by posting this thread.

You're allowed to think I'm a meany poopooface for calling him out on it, but if you profess a desire for this forum to get better than you need somebody to call out the crap that doesn't belong in that "better" forum.

Skooby
10-03-2017, 04:51 AM
Nothing like mid-season losses to conference opponents to haunt you later = / thread.

ublinkwescore
10-03-2017, 04:51 AM
It was a hypothetical... obviously our schedule doesn't accommodate it...

ublinkwescore
10-03-2017, 04:55 AM
And my god, how big is the stick up your @$$?

Skooby
10-03-2017, 05:20 AM
It was a hypothetical... obviously our schedule doesn't accommodate it...
Maybe we should wound ourselves when climbing MT Everest, that'd be about the same.

This idea isn't creative, it's simply stupid so please acknowledge it as such.

ublinkwescore
10-03-2017, 05:27 AM
Maybe we should wound ourselves when climbing MT Everest, that'd be about the same.

This idea isn't creative, it's simply stupid so please acknowledge it as such.

It has it's strategic merits. Only a fool can deny that.

Skooby
10-03-2017, 05:35 AM

It has none sir, not to be disrespectful but it's probably the exact opposite of what the Bills are doing. Every down and moment is thought out and played hard, so how could you reasonably ask a team in the middle of a season to throw a game ?? Last game to rest our guys then I can see an argument but mid-season before anything is settled ? What is wrong with you man ?? Do You understand conference tie-breakers & the math ??

It's a fools play and idea, just admit you were wrong.

YardRat
10-03-2017, 06:01 AM
Purposely losing to say the chiefs or some one else to eliminate new England from a wild card if we lock the division up? I say we damn well better unless it costs us home field of course...

If our fate was set, whether that meant playoffs or not going again, on week 17 and a loss would eliminate the Patriots, I'd seriously consider 'resting my starters'.

YardRat
10-03-2017, 06:03 AM
I think some of you overlooked the bolded part and failed to consider other scenarios that were possibilities of the question posed. That's not blink's fault.

Skooby
10-03-2017, 06:03 AM
If our fate was set, whether that meant playoffs or not going again, on week 17 and a loss would eliminate the Patriots, I'd seriously consider 'resting my starters'.

Cool. How about a mid-season conference game against a team you might potentially tie with & need a head to head win to break the tie being the head to head is the first tie-breaker ?

YardRat
10-03-2017, 06:05 AM
Cool. How about a mid-season conference game against a team you might potentially tie with & need a head to head win to break the tie being the first tie-breaker ?

I would not be OK with 'resting starters' against the Chiefs this season.

Skooby
10-03-2017, 06:08 AM
I would not be OK with 'resting starters' against the Chiefs this season.

How about the factor that the worse the Chiefs' record ends up, the higher our first round pick we get from them ?? I understand that there's playoff potential movement up for them regardless but mid-season wins you nothing but hope, so you have to go with the hand dealt.

ICRockets
10-03-2017, 07:03 AM

You must think we're even stupider than you are. You already admitted you aren't doing it for strategic purposes, you're doing it out of pure, petty spite.

ICRockets
10-03-2017, 07:04 AM

jamze132
10-03-2017, 07:14 AM
Without our leading tackler and WR, I think we're going to struggle until they come back healthy. We got off to a great start but we have a tough game next week heading into the bye against the Bengals who looked pretty good on offense the other day. Two tough games coming out of the bye (at least we're at home) could set the tone for the rest of the season.

I do think the Pats are vulnerable this year because their defense is atrocious. However, us making the post season could come down to record vs common opponents and the rest of the AFC.

OpIv37
10-03-2017, 08:43 AM
If there was some bizarre scenario where we were either eliminated from the playoffs or in the playoffs by a loss doesn't affect our playoff seeding at all, and we were playing a team that had a "win and in" scenario to take the last WC spot from the Pats, I'd throw the game.

But that situation is highly unlikely. We need to think about our team first, and if the loss would have any negative impact on making the playoffs or having homefield, then taking the L intentionally just to screw them would be stupid.

imbondz
10-03-2017, 12:04 PM
So it’s a hypothetical question and you all are trying to make it real world. The answer to the question is yes. 100% of the hypothetical time we purposely lose a game IF it keeps the Patriots out of the playoffs and doesn’t hurt our chances of making it in, hypothetically speaking.

Skooby
10-03-2017, 12:16 PM
Real world application is fantasyland like.

ticatfan
10-03-2017, 12:28 PM
New England is not going anywhere, so why bother.

ublinkwescore
10-03-2017, 02:18 PM
You must think we're even stupider than you are. You already admitted you aren't doing it for strategic purposes, you're doing it out of pure, petty spite.

There is the possibility of a scenario where we could -assuming we are at least 2 or 3 games ahead of New England and or the rest of the league for that matter - drop a game to give a team a wild card late in the season that would effectively mathematically eliminate New England from the playoffs. And it could be to the benefit of any number of AFC teams. You are a petty child. And you can kiss my @$$.

ublinkwescore
10-03-2017, 02:20 PM
We could actually do so and NOT give up our playoff seed IF we are far enough ahead of the rest of the league. And eliminating a team with Brady from the playoffs (as an AFC team) however difficult or unlikely given that the pats win a lot of games, would in fact, NOT be a bad idea.

Joe Fo Sho
10-03-2017, 02:39 PM
We could actually do so and NOT give up our playoff seed IF we are far enough ahead of the rest of the league. And eliminating a team with Brady from the playoffs (as an AFC team) however difficult or unlikely given that the pats win a lot of games, would in fact, NOT be a bad idea.

If Miami ever gets their poop in a group your scenario could work with Miami and New England. If we have a big enough lead, in our last 5 games, we can actually give NE 2 losses and let Miami get 2 wins. If the Dolphins are fighting the Pats for the last wild card spot, I'd do everything possible to keep NE out of the playoffs so long as our seed remains the same.

It's incredibly unlikely, but it's not impossible. Anyone who thinks we should beat Miami in week 17 if it means letting NE into the playoffs is crazy. I bet we'd be getting letters from other AFC playoff teams begging us to let Miami win.

ICRockets
10-03-2017, 03:00 PM
There is the possibility of a scenario where we could -assuming we are at least 2 or 3 games ahead of New England and or the rest of the league for that matter - drop a game to give a team a wild card late in the season that would effectively mathematically eliminate New England from the playoffs. And it could be to the benefit of any number of AFC teams. You are a petty child. And you can kiss my @$$.

Who are we giving this wild card spot to? The Colts or the Dolphins? No. There is no scenario where either of those teams is in a position to knock the Patriots out of the wild card. Your idea is stupid beyond compare. How hard is it to admit that you're a ****ing moron?

Mace
10-03-2017, 06:24 PM
I think some of you overlooked the bolded part and failed to consider other scenarios that were possibilities of the question posed. That's not blink's fault.

"purposely losing" when they're clearly trying to build a competitive culture, speaks for itself. You want to beat whoever you play. If that means New England in the playoffs, then beat New England in the playoffs or they're not good enough to deserve a crap, imho. They need to want to face the Pats, not hide from them.

ublinkwescore
10-03-2017, 10:33 PM
Who are we giving this wild card spot to? The Colts or the Dolphins? No. There is no scenario where either of those teams is in a position to knock the Patriots out of the wild card. Your idea is stupid beyond compare. How hard is it to admit that you're a ****ing moron?

What part of hypothetical do you not understand?

ublinkwescore
10-03-2017, 10:35 PM

You know what, I am done with you. You are literally not intelligent enough to even dignify with a response. You enjoy wearing egg on your face... good day.

ublinkwescore
10-03-2017, 10:40 PM
If Miami ever gets their poop in a group your scenario could work with Miami and New England. If we have a big enough lead, in our last 5 games, we can actually give NE 2 losses and let Miami get 2 wins. If the Dolphins are fighting the Pats for the last wild card spot, I'd do everything possible to keep NE out of the playoffs so long as our seed remains the same.

It's incredibly unlikely, but it's not impossible. Anyone who thinks we should beat Miami in week 17 if it means letting NE into the playoffs is crazy. I bet we'd be getting letters from other AFC playoff teams begging us to let Miami win.

Thank you... if we win out, and KC drops a game or 2, we can actually pull this off. It is in fact an actual possibility, however remote. And to answer my own question, I absolutely would kick the pats out of the playoffs, we'd likely be resting our starters if we have home field locked up anyways... I certainly wouldn't let my starters go for more than a quarter before pulling them anyways. Bouncing new England to stay healthy for a home field advantage playoff run actually gives me a boner.

ublinkwescore
10-03-2017, 10:42 PM
"purposely losing" when they're clearly trying to build a competitive culture, speaks for itself. You want to beat whoever you play. If that means New England in the playoffs, then beat New England in the playoffs or they're not good enough to deserve a crap, imho. They need to want to face the Pats, not hide from them.

You do know you get a roughing the passer penalty if you merely breathe on Tom Brady wrong, right?

Bill Cody
10-03-2017, 10:52 PM
U have to laugh at the sheer arrogance of this thread's concept. A team that hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 17 years and has 3 wins so far is talking about a lose a game on purpose scenario. Breathtakingly ******ed.

ICRockets
10-03-2017, 10:57 PM
What part of hypothetical do you not understand?

Oh, this is purely hypothetical. Got it. So your thread is actually about a general tactic that teams use, known as "benching your starters" after your playoff seeding is locked in.

I'm so sorry, Blink. I can see now that this is a revolutionary idea you've concocted that is sure to turn the entire NFL on its head. All thanks to your brilliance and ingenuity to think of a strategy that everybody else has been familiar with for decades.

Somebody get this man a Coach Of The Year Award, STAT!

ublinkwescore
10-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Oh, this is purely hypothetical. Got it. So your thread is actually about a general tactic that teams use, known as "benching your starters" after your playoff seeding is locked in.

I'm so sorry, Blink. I can see now that this is a revolutionary idea you've concocted that is sure to turn the entire NFL on its head. All thanks to your brilliance and ingenuity to think of a strategy that everybody else has been familiar with for decades.

Somebody get this man a Coach Of The Year Award, STAT!

We could still choose to deliberately lose that game specifically for the purposes of eliminating a team that has been an absolute thorn in our sides for over a decade regardless of starters or second string...

- - - Updated - - -

The harder you try to be condescending, the more foolish you make yourself appear.

Albany,n.y.
10-04-2017, 12:32 PM
We could still choose to deliberately lose that game specifically for the purposes of eliminating a team that has been an absolute thorn in our sides for over a decade regardless of starters or second string...

- - - Updated - - -

The harder you try to be condescending, the more foolish you make yourself appear.

When you start a thread with a premise that we tank a game in November in order to eliminate another team that could easily beat us twice in December and eliminate us and don't admit that it is one of the dumbest ideas ever to be proposed on this board, take your flaming like a man and don't go to war against someone who points out the stupidity of the OP.

ublinkwescore
10-05-2017, 03:52 AM
So getting some measure of revenge, and strategic application are mutually exclusive? Dear god... who ties your shoes for you?

ublinkwescore
10-05-2017, 03:53 AM
When you start a thread with a premise that we tank a game in November in order to eliminate another team that could easily beat us twice in December and eliminate us and don't admit that it is one of the dumbest ideas ever to be proposed on this board, take your flaming like a man and don't go to war against someone who points out the stupidity of the OP.

It was a hypothetical. The only team we could potentially do this with would be miami... let miami beat us to send the pats home for january...

ICRockets
10-05-2017, 08:16 AM
It was a hypothetical. The only team we could potentially do this with would be miami... let miami beat us to send the pats home for january...

And as soon as we do it we no longer have any standing whatsoever to hate the Patriots for cheating, because we'd be tampering with the result of a game. The fact that you'd be ok with us doing that speaks to your total lack of integrity, just like your failure to admit this is dumb.

swiper
10-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Thank goodness the Bills don't agree with the o.p.

ublinkwescore
10-05-2017, 01:30 PM
Thank goodness the Bills don't agree with the o.p.

If they saw the Superbowl as the number one goal, and the opportunity presents itself, they would seriously consider doing it.

ICRockets
10-05-2017, 03:19 PM
If they saw the Superbowl as the number one goal, and the opportunity presents itself, they would seriously consider doing it.

I guarantee you it would never occur to this coaching staff. Not for a second.

Mr. Miyagi
10-05-2017, 03:50 PM
NFL players play to win. You can't get them to throw games.

Plus the KC game is on Week 12. Nobody will have anything locked up by then yet.

ublinkwescore
10-05-2017, 08:37 PM
NFL players play to win. You can't get them to throw games.

Plus the KC game is on Week 12. Nobody will have anything locked up by then yet.

If we can control New England's playoff birth by simply letting miami beat us in a garbage game because we have nothing to lose, I would absolutely throw that game with ****ty playcalling.