PDA

View Full Version : Was everyone wrong About Deshaun Watson

BuffaloBlitz83
10-04-2017, 06:26 PM
He looks very good very early. QB's with his background usually take much longer to get production. 9 total tds thus far. Tennessee actually was looked at as a decent D prior to that game. Seems too be improving every game. Were we wrong to pass on him?

YardRat
10-04-2017, 06:30 PM
If he does turn out to be better than average and has a decently productive and lengthy career 75% of the posters will claim to have wanted him all along and trash the Bills for being dumbasses and not taking him.

Yasgur's Farm
10-04-2017, 06:30 PM
It appears that he may be a franchise QB... To be determined. But we wouldn't have KC's 1st or Zay Jones. Although some will argue Zay's productivity, I like what we got over Warson at this point. We'll get iur franchise guy in the draft.

Skooby
10-04-2017, 06:46 PM
Let’s not annoint him just yet.

Pennywise
10-04-2017, 06:55 PM
Well, his last two games were better than anything I've seen coming from under center for the Bills in over 20 years.....so, yeah.

TigerJ
10-04-2017, 07:32 PM
It is nearly impossible today to predict how well any given college QB will transition to the NFL given the vastly different offenses that most teams in college run these days. Some (Watson and Prescott) seem to make the transition quickly and easily. Others get it eventually, but take a lot more time. Some never get it. I didn't advocate the drafting of Watson, but I was never against it either.

Mace
10-04-2017, 08:17 PM
4 games into a career doesn't mean anything. Look at RG3 & Kirk Cousins.

For that matter, Watson has thrown 16.75 more yards a game than Taylor, 0.5 more touchdown passes per game, 0.75 int's more, has a marginally lower completion pct and is rated 9 pts lower. I'd probably look at it in 3 years. Luck, Carr, Winston, Mariota, Prescott are still careers in progress.

Watson is off to a great start, I give him credit, but no telling if he's better than who we have in the future.

I didn't want them to take anyone early this season. Was disappointed Mahomes went so early, was interested in him later or Chad Kelly in the far later rounds. Was delighted when we ended up with Peterman in the middle. Still am. Next year ? In McBeane I trust.

Topas
10-05-2017, 01:25 AM
Agree, that it is early. But I had him rated on par with EJ and laughed at Houston when they took him. After Osweiler I was sure that they **** the bed for the second time. It is early, but signs are looking good. At least waaaay better than I expected.

Ingtar33
10-05-2017, 01:55 AM
He looks very good very early. QB's with his background usually take much longer to get production. 9 total tds thus far. Tennessee actually was looked at as a decent D prior to that game. Seems too be improving every game. Were we wrong to pass on him?

I always figured he was basically a high second rounder. Figured some team would be suckered into taking him into round one after the national title game. His numbers look amazing, but then everyone is blowing up the pats and titans defense this year, so that doesn't mean much. I'd like to see what happened in a couple of weeks after some more tape is out there. Apparently he doesn't see the field well (despite the numbers he's putting up) and has thrown a number of balls that should have been pick6s against competent defenses.

we'll see what happens.

Still hes done more in these past two weeks then EJ Manuel ever did in his career, and EJ was what I expected him to turn into.

Wally The Barber
10-05-2017, 02:29 AM
Reminds me of Vince Young. After 1 season teams figured him out

Thats why I never get crazy about Rookie QBs

jamze132
10-05-2017, 03:27 AM
We’ll its way too early to anoint him, you can find posts from me before the draft wanting us to take him. I think he’s going to be the best QB from the class.

baalworship
10-05-2017, 05:43 AM
The issue isn't whether fans on a message board were wrong. It's whether Sean Mcdermott was wrong to pass on Mahomes and Watson when the Bills did not have a franchise QB.

Jan Reimers
10-05-2017, 06:14 AM
He was a winner in a big-time program, athletic and competitive. I wanted us to take him, but like many fans, I couldn't judge his mechanics, his pocket presence, his ability to read defenses, or other things that the "experts" thought were lacking.

Sometimes, you simply need to judge a guy on his overall performance and ability to win, and overlook some alleged faults.

Buddo
10-05-2017, 06:18 AM
Way too early.

McDermott might be proven 'wrong' about Mahomes, but at least we got a 1st as the 'opportunity cost' of not taking him, which is pretty good value when it comes to covering your ass. Watson probably had the most 'rounded' personality of the guys coming out last year, and was undoubtedly a 'gamer'. That doesn't automatically translate into NFL success however. The signs for him are promising though, as he is currently, 'getting the job done'.

If you play sports over a number of year, you come across guys who don't necessarily look to be world beaters, yet every time they step up in class, they manage to raise their game to succeed. A prime example from recent years past, would be Fred Jackson. It takes these guys a few games to get it figured out, but they eventually do. I have a sneaking suspicion, that Watson, will be of this type of guy. That may sound a little odd, in that he was a fairly widely touted QB prospect, but as we have seen far too regularly over the years, the NFL represents a significant jump in class, and more so for NFL QBs.

TO be fair to McDermott (and Whaley at the time), there wasn't a 'slam dunk' prospect available, and rather than go at it immediately, I think it was the wisest course to keep the powder dry, until such time as they can find a guy they are convinced about. Current results seem to bear their approach out, and regardless of any clamour from the fans, it's unlikely any QB drafted, would have seen the field in a hurry this season.

psubills62
10-05-2017, 08:06 AM
You'd think after all this time people would know better than to come to conclusions after a couple games (or a couple of preseason games for certain other players). Let's leave the hot takes to the people who need to generate ratings for their media company.

golfball323
10-05-2017, 08:23 AM
Carson Wentz was the second coming at this time last year. Looking forward to see how Watson develops.

As for the Bills, in the short time they've been here SM and BB have done enough to earn my trust (the process)

swiper
10-05-2017, 08:27 AM

LOL. How is Dak Prescott doing this year? Where is Colin Kaepernick? JaMarcus Russell?

Watson had what, one good game? Let's take it easy all you youngsters looking for instant gratification.

swiper
10-05-2017, 08:28 AM
Carson Wentz was the second coming at this time last year. Looking forward to see how Watson develops.

As for the Bills, in the short time they've been here SM and BB have done enough to earn my trust (the process)

Wentz and Goff seem to be coming along. They could have gone either way. Let's not ask this question about Watson again until this time next year.

Bill Cody
10-05-2017, 08:48 AM
He's already much better than I expected. Too early to say where it goes but he has my attention.

Mahdi
10-05-2017, 09:00 AM
I liked him coming out. He was clearly a winner, and although he was a good runner his asset was actually his touch and accuracy.

He reminds me a bit of Drew Brees.

Yasgur's Farm
10-05-2017, 10:49 AM
Reminds me of Vince Young. After 1 season teams figured him out

Thats why I never get crazy about Rookie QBsVince Young... I never understood why he got any recognition at all. His rookie year he was ranked around 32nd best QB... Yet he goes to the pro bowl. He never did much after that either.

Night Train
10-05-2017, 04:47 PM
He threw some of the most horrid INT's at Clemson.

Maybe the win over Alabama gave him the confidence he needed but game film will catch up with him. Then he has to prove himself all over again. Not crapping on him but there were valid reasons many teams had reservations about him coming out.

Mr. Pink
10-06-2017, 02:46 AM
RGIII and Vince Young looked just as good in their first seasons.

See what he can do when the league starts getting more and more tape on him.

Still think RGIII got hosed by the Skins so we'll never know how good he really could have been or not been.

alohabillsfan
10-06-2017, 05:47 AM
RGIII and Vince Young looked just as good in their first seasons.

See what he can do when the league starts getting more and more tape on him.

Still think RGIII got hosed by the Skins so we'll never know how good he really could have been or not been.

Vince young self imploded, I agree on RGIII, although I don't think he had the QB IQ and looked to run if first option covered.

baalworship
10-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Way too early.

McDermott might be proven 'wrong' about Mahomes, but at least we got a 1st as the 'opportunity cost' of not taking him, which is pretty good value when it comes to covering your ass. Watson probably had the most 'rounded' personality of the guys coming out last year, and was undoubtedly a 'gamer'. That doesn't automatically translate into NFL success however. The signs for him are promising though, as he is currently, 'getting the job done'.

If you play sports over a number of year, you come across guys who don't necessarily look to be world beaters, yet every time they step up in class, they manage to raise their game to succeed. A prime example from recent years past, would be Fred Jackson. It takes these guys a few games to get it figured out, but they eventually do. I have a sneaking suspicion, that Watson, will be of this type of guy. That may sound a little odd, in that he was a fairly widely touted QB prospect, but as we have seen far too regularly over the years, the NFL represents a significant jump in class, and more so for NFL QBs.

TO be fair to McDermott (and Whaley at the time), there wasn't a 'slam dunk' prospect available, and rather than go at it immediately, I think it was the wisest course to keep the powder dry, until such time as they can find a guy they are convinced about. Current results seem to bear their approach out, and regardless of any clamour from the fans, it's unlikely any QB drafted, would have seen the field in a hurry this season.

If the Bills wait for a "slam dunk" QB prospect they will never improve the QB position. You don't wait for a perfect QB. You draft a very good prospect if they fall to you. Mahomes compared favorably to Derek Carr. Both were good QB prospects that the Bills passed on.

BLUTO
10-06-2017, 07:14 PM
It appears that he may be a franchise QB... To be determined. But we wouldn't have KC's 1st or Zay Jones. Although some will argue Zay's productivity, I like what we got over Warson at this point. We'll get iur franchise guy in the draft.

Good points! Maybe Watson will cool down once the NFL gets a book on him?

Mike
10-08-2017, 02:45 PM
Agree, that it is early. But I had him rated on par with EJ and laughed at Houston when they took him. After Osweiler I was sure that they **** the bed for the second time. It is early, but signs are looking good. At least waaaay better than I expected.

Watson won championship where he single handedly willed his team with a huge come from behind win. Most scouts had him as a 1st round pick.

EJ,on the other hand, held a great team back. He was an above average QB with with great physical assets (arm, size, speed) and awful football tangibles (reading defense, accuracy, pocket awareness) that benefited from being on a great team. After he left FSU, they won a Championship.

BTW: this was all very well known which is why scouts had different grades in them. Hindsight was that EJ would be a career backup and nothing more than a 3rd should be spent on him. Petterman is a better prospect.

Mouldsie
10-08-2017, 06:50 PM
LOL. How is Dak Prescott doing this year? Where is Colin Kaepernick? JaMarcus Russell?

Watson had what, one good game? Let's take it easy all you youngsters looking for instant gratification.

What? Dak Prescott is playing great?

BuffaloBlitz83
10-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Made some nice passes and runs. 5 tds granted 2 were in garbage time but tyrod can't ever get those in garbage time. Chiefs aren't a joke on D

baalworship
10-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Sean McDermott had his choice of Mahomes, Watson, or Tyrod at QB. He chose Tyrod.

EDS
10-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Sean McDermott had his choice of Mahomes, Watson, or Tyrod at QB. He chose Tyrod.

He just punted the QB decision to next year.

BuffaloBlitz83
10-30-2017, 10:24 AM
This season he continues to have is awesome. Guy seems to step up in big spots like in college. The D ruined his comeback yesterday

starrymessenger
10-30-2017, 11:10 AM
He has a very strong arm and has shown excellent ball placement (despite the rookie mistakes re picks) so far. Don't know if it will continue because there is more to playing the position, but he has certainly shown better in those two categories than I expected. Given his good intangibles and his mobility my guess today is that he will continue to improve and may very well develop into a franchise guy. The last two drafts have turned up some pretty good QB prospects.

justasportsfan
10-30-2017, 11:36 AM
We most likely would have drafted him if whaley was running the show. He was supposedly "in love" with Watson . Oh well. I cant complain about McD's decisions as of yet.

Forward_Lateral
10-30-2017, 12:00 PM
Watson is playing pretty well, but you have to remember he also has one of the best WR duo's in the game to rely on.

starrymessenger
10-30-2017, 12:06 PM
Watson is playing pretty well, but you have to remember he also has one of the best WR duo's in the game to rely on.

Absolutely correct but this is my point regarding Watson's ball placement. He is properly leveraging his receiving assets by putting the ball with the right zip or touch where his guys have the best shot at making the play. He is not just throwing it up for grabs with his guys doing all the work and contributing all the value.

Thurmal
10-30-2017, 12:24 PM
This season he continues to have is awesome. Guy seems to step up in big spots like in college. The D ruined his comeback yesterday
He threw 3 INTs including a pick-six when they were deep in Seattle territory. He's just as much at fault as the D.

Forward_Lateral
10-30-2017, 12:26 PM
He threw 3 INTs including a pick-six when they were deep in Seattle territory. He's just as much at fault as the D.
I thought he made some terrible decisions yesterday.