• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuffaloBlitz83
    We play to win the game!
    • Oct 2009

Was everyone wrong About Deshaun Watson

He looks very good very early. QB's with his background usually take much longer to get production. 9 total tds thus far. Tennessee actually was looked at as a decent D prior to that game. Seems too be improving every game. Were we wrong to pass on him?
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Re: Was everyone wrong About Deshaun Watson

If he does turn out to be better than average and has a decently productive and lengthy career 75% of the posters will claim to have wanted him all along and trash the Bills for being dumbasses and not taking him.
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
      • Feb 2005

It appears that he may be a franchise QB... To be determined. But we wouldn't have KC's 1st or Zay Jones. Although some will argue Zay's productivity, I like what we got over Warson at this point. We'll get iur franchise guy in the draft.

Comment

• MitchMurrayDowntown
        Skoobasaurus-Rex
        • Oct 2011

Let’s not annoint him just yet.

Comment

• Pennywise
          • Mar 2005

Well, his last two games were better than anything I've seen coming from under center for the Bills in over 20 years.....so, yeah.

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

It is nearly impossible today to predict how well any given college QB will transition to the NFL given the vastly different offenses that most teams in college run these days. Some (Watson and Prescott) seem to make the transition quickly and easily. Others get it eventually, but take a lot more time. Some never get it. I didn't advocate the drafting of Watson, but I was never against it either.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Mace
              Haha...yeah you think so ?
              • Mar 2013

4 games into a career doesn't mean anything. Look at RG3 & Kirk Cousins.

For that matter, Watson has thrown 16.75 more yards a game than Taylor, 0.5 more touchdown passes per game, 0.75 int's more, has a marginally lower completion pct and is rated 9 pts lower. I'd probably look at it in 3 years. Luck, Carr, Winston, Mariota, Prescott are still careers in progress.

Watson is off to a great start, I give him credit, but no telling if he's better than who we have in the future.

I didn't want them to take anyone early this season. Was disappointed Mahomes went so early, was interested in him later or Chad Kelly in the far later rounds. Was delighted when we ended up with Peterman in the middle. Still am. Next year ? In McBeane I trust.

Comment

• Topas
                German smartass
                • Feb 2014

Agree, that it is early. But I had him rated on par with EJ and laughed at Houston when they took him. After Osweiler I was sure that they **** the bed for the second time. It is early, but signs are looking good. At least waaaay better than I expected.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                  Dances With Buffaloes
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloBlitz83 View Post
                  He looks very good very early. QB's with his background usually take much longer to get production. 9 total tds thus far. Tennessee actually was looked at as a decent D prior to that game. Seems too be improving every game. Were we wrong to pass on him?
                  I always figured he was basically a high second rounder. Figured some team would be suckered into taking him into round one after the national title game. His numbers look amazing, but then everyone is blowing up the pats and titans defense this year, so that doesn't mean much. I'd like to see what happened in a couple of weeks after some more tape is out there. Apparently he doesn't see the field well (despite the numbers he's putting up) and has thrown a number of balls that should have been pick6s against competent defenses.

we'll see what happens.

Still hes done more in these past two weeks then EJ Manuel ever did in his career, and EJ was what I expected him to turn into.
                  My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Wally The Barber
                    • Jul 2007

Reminds me of Vince Young. After 1 season teams figured him out

Thats why I never get crazy about Rookie QBs
                    Beware of Sarcasm

Comment

• jamze132
                      • Jun 2003

We’ll its way too early to anoint him, you can find posts from me before the draft wanting us to take him. I think he’s going to be the best QB from the class.

Comment

• baalworship
                        • May 2003

The issue isn't whether fans on a message board were wrong. It's whether Sean Mcdermott was wrong to pass on Mahomes and Watson when the Bills did not have a franchise QB.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

He was a winner in a big-time program, athletic and competitive. I wanted us to take him, but like many fans, I couldn't judge his mechanics, his pocket presence, his ability to read defenses, or other things that the "experts" thought were lacking.

Sometimes, you simply need to judge a guy on his overall performance and ability to win, and overlook some alleged faults.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Buddo
                            • Mar 2007

Way too early.

McDermott might be proven 'wrong' about Mahomes, but at least we got a 1st as the 'opportunity cost' of not taking him, which is pretty good value when it comes to covering your ass. Watson probably had the most 'rounded' personality of the guys coming out last year, and was undoubtedly a 'gamer'. That doesn't automatically translate into NFL success however. The signs for him are promising though, as he is currently, 'getting the job done'.

If you play sports over a number of year, you come across guys who don't necessarily look to be world beaters, yet every time they step up in class, they manage to raise their game to succeed. A prime example from recent years past, would be Fred Jackson. It takes these guys a few games to get it figured out, but they eventually do. I have a sneaking suspicion, that Watson, will be of this type of guy. That may sound a little odd, in that he was a fairly widely touted QB prospect, but as we have seen far too regularly over the years, the NFL represents a significant jump in class, and more so for NFL QBs.

TO be fair to McDermott (and Whaley at the time), there wasn't a 'slam dunk' prospect available, and rather than go at it immediately, I think it was the wisest course to keep the powder dry, until such time as they can find a guy they are convinced about. Current results seem to bear their approach out, and regardless of any clamour from the fans, it's unlikely any QB drafted, would have seen the field in a hurry this season.

Comment

• psubills62
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Sep 2008

You'd think after all this time people would know better than to come to conclusions after a couple games (or a couple of preseason games for certain other players). Let's leave the hot takes to the people who need to generate ratings for their media company.
                              "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                              - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

Working...
                              X