PDA

View Full Version : Special Teams CONFIDENTIAL

BLUTO
10-04-2017, 10:02 PM
If you can't (or don't want to play) Special Teams on this '17 Bills team you're toast.

-Jonathan Williams wouldn't do it and Joe Banyard will
-Mike Gillislee didn't like it and Mike Tolbert loves it
-Stephon Gilmore was afraid of it and Hyde & Porter & Gaines contribute

It's an overall team attitude. The process - - The Team!

Topas
10-05-2017, 01:26 AM
Interesting. I didnt know that.

YardRat
10-05-2017, 05:30 AM
I'd be more impressed to see Hauschka or Schmidt take snaps on offense or defense.

Seriously though, playing teams is the poster child for building a family/team-first attitude.

Buddo
10-05-2017, 06:27 AM
I'm not so sure that it's a 'given', especially in respect of guys not being willing to play teams. It may be that being no good at playing 'Teams', isn't acceptable.

What I would say is that Belichik has had no problem with using some of his 'top' players on teams, over the years, and it seems as though it's very much a part of how he coaches, in that all his players have to be prepared to help out wherever he feels it's necessary.

With McDermott, it may be that he (currently) sees it as part of his 'buy in' to the team, and helps to avoid cliques.

John Doe
10-05-2017, 03:54 PM
If you can't (or don't want to play) Special Teams on this '17 Bills team you're toast.

-Jonathan Williams wouldn't do it and Joe Banyard will
-Mike Gillislee didn't like it and Mike Tolbert loves it
-Stephon Gilmore was afraid of it and Hyde & Porter & Gaines contribute

It's an overall team attitude. The process - - The Team!

I think that you can add Robert Blanton to the list.

After Colt Anderson broke his arm against Atlanta, Blanton was forced to play special teams. I don't think that the audition went well - he was cut soon after and a good special teamer (Shamarko Thomas) was added.

TigerJ
10-05-2017, 10:01 PM
I knew that Jonathon Williams didn't do special teams, and that was a factor in the Bills choosing to retain Banyard over Williams. I didn't know that about Gillislee, but I knew Tolbert was a special teamer.

Albany,n.y.
10-06-2017, 09:13 AM
I get nervous whenever I see Hyde on punt returns.

Albany,n.y.
10-06-2017, 09:18 AM
I remember Gillislee on special teams watching the Jets score on a kickoff without making any attempt to even fall on the ball in the endzone. Someone joked that there was a new definition to his nickname "Touchdown Mike". I guarantee he'll never do that again in NE.

Pennywise
10-06-2017, 04:29 PM
Hasn't Banyard been inactive on gamedays?

BLUTO
10-06-2017, 07:04 PM
I think that you can add Robert Blanton to the list.

After Colt Anderson broke his arm against Atlanta, Blanton was forced to play special teams. I don't think that the audition went well - he was cut soon after and a good special teamer (Shamarko Thomas) was added.

That's probably why Blanton has been cut, re-signed and cut again.