PDA

View Full Version : The Bills are a flawed AND thin team.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-08-2017, 07:23 PM
From the outset, we know there are big unknowns at entire secondary, the linebackers, at WRs, right side O-line. And then depth at RBs, TEs.

The depth at RBs is a mis-management by McDermiott.

I omit the QB because everyone knows the story: they like to upgrade, probably through draft next year but they take what is best available now.

Thru 5 games, we see that the safeties are lights out. They hit on both FAs there. Not sure about depth though, as they didn't draft any one.

Corners they hit on White and Gaines. But very little after that. I'm still not sure they have to trade away Seymour.

The linebackers are a weak link on this team. But they manage to hide it so far. No one steps up big time. Like the broadcasters said today, if Brown and Alexander are on the field, teams know the former is in coverage and the later is rushing up field. I would not be surprised as the season goes on, teams exploit this area more.

The WRs turn out to be the weakest link of this team, especially with the Zay Jones issues thus far. They don't have that guy other teams fear for. Looking back, the front office clearly does not put winning this year ahead of future plans. So they kind of made the bed with the trade of Watkins and they are sleep in it now.

The O-lines was hit by an unexpected injury of Glenn. There is hope if he's back after the bye to make it a better line overall. When I first saw he was active for the game, the thought of showcase and a trade came to my mind because Glenn would garner value and Handerson is due to coming back.

TEs are actually perform better than I expected. But they don't have a good blocking one.

McCoy is one guy. I think not tendering Gillislee had a big impact on the offense and I put this completely on McDermott. He probably fell in love to Tolbert since he brought him over from Carolina. Gillislee is not a place holder (like Tolbert) when McCoy needs a breather. I think the running games suffers a great deal there.

I'm not as optimistic as some here about Bills chances for a playoff spot. Mainly because the team is very thin. We'll see what they do during the bye. The Bills may have some pieces they can offer to other teams, like OT, DT (Washington) that are valued this year in NFL.

BLUTO
10-08-2017, 07:29 PM
From the outset, we know there are big unknowns at entire secondary, the linebackers, at WRs, right side O-line. And then depth at RBs, TEs.

The depth at RBs is a mis-management by McDermiott.

I omit the QB because everyone knows the story: they like to upgrade, probably through draft next year but they take what is best available now.

Thru 5 games, we see that the safeties are lights out. They hit on both FAs there. Not sure about depth though, as they didn't draft any one.

Corners they hit on White and Gaines. But very little after that. I'm still not sure they have to trade away Seymour.

The linebackers are a weak link on this team. But they manage to hide it so far. No one steps up big time. Like the broadcasters said today, if Brown and Alexander are on the field, teams know the former is in coverage and the later is rushing up field. I would not be surprised as the season goes on, teams exploit this area more.

The WRs turn out to be the weakest link of this team, especially with the Zay Jones issues thus far. They don't have that guy other teams fear for. Looking back, the front office clearly does not put winning this year ahead of future plans. So they kind of made the bed with the trade of Watkins and they are sleep in it now.

The O-lines was hit by an unexpected injury of Glenn. There is hope if he's back after the bye to make it a better line overall. When I first saw he was active for the game, the thought of showcase and a trade came to my mind because Glenn would garner value and Handerson is due to coming back.

TEs are actually perform better than I expected. But they don't have a good blocking one.

McCoy is one guy. I think not tendering Gillislee had a big impact on the offense and I put this completely on McDermott. He probably fell in love to Tolbert since he brought him over from Carolina. Gillislee is not a place holder (like Tolbert) when McCoy needs a breather. I think the running games suffers a great deal there.

I'm not as optimistic as some here about Bills chances for a playoff spot. Mainly because the team is very thin. We'll see what they do during the bye. The Bills may have some pieces they can offer to other teams, like OT, DT (Washington) that are valued this year in NFL.

BLUTO
10-08-2017, 07:33 PM
This is all obvious to anyone that follows the roster moves. Glenn was injured last year and all of pre-season. His lack of playing time was not 'unexpected'. Humber and Alexander are pretty good LB's.

I don't know what information you are basing this post on???

SpikedLemonade
10-08-2017, 07:33 PM
YES

Joe Fo Sho
10-08-2017, 07:35 PM

Do we have depth at QB? I think we should find out.

Historian
10-09-2017, 07:04 AM
The process needs a new engineer.

BillyT92679
10-09-2017, 07:32 AM
Juan Castillo is a big problem. They're running the exact wrong style of blocking schemes.

SWBillzbacker
10-09-2017, 08:34 AM
Not saying there is any point made in the thread that I don't agree with....but going into our bye-week, if someone said we would be 3-2, would you have believed it????

No. No true analyst or football guru would have for the exact reasons and points made in this thread.

Myself, I had the Bills at 1-4 going into the bye-week and if you think of it, the Bills were one Zay Jones completion from beating the best team in the NFL (Panthers) so cudos to McDermitt and staff.

However....the point is so true that this seasons roster IS depleted and that lands solely at the feet of Brandon Beane who seemed to want to wash his hands of the Whaley era.

Whaley did decide on Gillislee, Goodwin, and Woods purely out of salary-cap related issues in relation to free-agency and all 3 got great contracts where they went.

The other decisions of the Sammy and Darby trades....the release of Roby-Coleman, Seymour and head-scratching trade of Ragland for a 4th are again, at the feet of Beane.

Btw....Ragland's supposed 'non-fit' was blown out of proportion and taken completely out of context by local and national media once Beane publicly attempted to justify the trade by throwing Ragland under the bus. Tough stance when admittedly was a medical issue revealed later that Raglands demotion was purely an attempt at practicing a healing injury that was no where near 100% at expectation. Btw....he played well last night for KC!!!!

Jan Reimers
10-09-2017, 08:52 AM
Our offense is a mess. Taylor is not great anyway, but with a poor offensive line, a less than ordinary wide receiver corps, and an ineffective running game (wasting McCoy because of the O-line's bad blocking or blocking schemes), I see us falling out of the playoff picture relatively soon after the bye week. Our good D just won't be able to overcome such a lousy offense.

SWBillzbacker
10-09-2017, 09:02 AM
Our offense is a mess. Taylor is not great anyway, but with a poor offensive line, a less than ordinary wide receiver corps, and an ineffective running game (wasting McCoy because of the O-line's bad blocking or blocking schemes), I see us falling out of the playoff picture relatively soon after the bye week. Our good D just won't be able to overcome such a lousy offense.

We're also banged-up....injuries are playing a significant role; however, we are still in the mix at 3-2 with a bye-week to get healthy going into a favorable matchup against the Titans

kingJofNYC
10-09-2017, 09:05 AM
Depth is a huge issue.

The only WR signed through 2018 is Zay Jones, think about that for a minute. Entire new group for 2018.

SWBillzbacker
10-09-2017, 09:08 AM
Depth is a huge issue.

The only WR signed through 2018 is Zay Jones, think about that for a minute. Entire new group for 2018.
That appears to be Beane's plan....

streetkings01
10-09-2017, 09:28 AM
This is year 1 of a rebuild.........what were you guys expecting?

kingJofNYC
10-09-2017, 09:38 AM
That appears to be Beane's plan....

No doubt, this was the plan all along, we just got off to a hot start and fans forgot the composition of this team.

SWBillzbacker
10-09-2017, 09:48 AM
No doubt, this was the plan all along, we just got off to a hot start and fans forgot the composition of this team.

Well said.

McDermott and his staff are coaching this team up....esp. when you take injuries into consideration.

This is reason enough for Optimism about "The Plan"....it appears to be a culture change, if you will.

Bill Cody
10-09-2017, 10:04 AM
You mean this isn't a playoff team?:whatthe:

jamze132
10-09-2017, 10:09 AM
We shouldn't be *****ing about the team overall as we all had no expectations going into the season. They have performed admirably, especially the defense so far, but everyone needs to temper their expectations and not expect this team to make the playoffs. We've always known depth was/is and issue and now we get to experience that with our top players out.

justasportsfan
10-09-2017, 10:29 AM
It's going to take time for this OL to know what the hell we are trying to do in the running game. In the meantime, the QB should open up the running game. Wait nevermind. We have TT at qb.

Pennywise
10-09-2017, 10:41 AM
This is year 1 of a rebuild.........what were you guys expecting?

It really is funny to read. You’d think this team is in the same boat as the Browns with some responses.

Like it or not, and it seems that some don’t, this team is going to push for a playoff spot.

ublinkwescore
10-09-2017, 10:46 AM
If we don't have 5 win after 8 games, we need to tank.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-09-2017, 11:44 AM
I don't buy into the notion of tanking, and I don't believe McDermott & Beane are in that mindset either. You are fostering a team culture of winning. I can tell you from the experience here in Pittsburgh. Getting your organization right, building a culture. Good fortunes will follow. If you just buy stuff, if you want to tank to hit that lottery called 1st overall pick, see examples of Redskins and Browns (or the Colts even they hit the lottery on Luck).

However, you can have different priorities each year. This year they clearly put future in a higher priority than winning now, right from the draft day 1 to all the trades that followed. At least you can say they are consistent with the approach.

In terms of winning thus far, you gotta see what made them win and what is sustainable that can be carry forward to next year. I listed some individual and groups above. But I want to point out two things. The first and most important one is the team concept. I felt this has been missing for a long time in Buffalo (Jauron may had a bit one one of his years here): the sum of the team is greater than 11 individuals on the field, which is so true in NE, especial in Brady's first few years there. The Bills in the first 5 games this year have that vibe. The 2nd, I think the main contributors for the winning, McCoy, Hughes, Clay, Alexander, Tyrod are all older players who are right at their peak, having no more ceiling. For the heavy load the team putting on them, injuries can be a concern, and there is no one behind them. That's why I don't think this team's outlook at this year's playoff is cloudy.

Night Train
10-09-2017, 11:47 AM
" We can't expect more than 3 wins in 2017 .. "

and now, we not doing enough to win 11..

Got it..

baalworship
10-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Part of the reason this team is thin is the FO. They favored guys like Ducasse, Tolbert, Banyard over younger players with better upside. It is scary to think where they will be if their purge for next year includes Cordy Glenn and Dareus. Bills have the worst 25 years and younger roster in the NFL.

Mr. Pink
10-09-2017, 12:18 PM
The Bills aren't a flawed team, at least not anymore flawed than any other middling NFL team.

They're flawed at QB. And the true problem is that guy is so ultra conservative he doesn't play bad enough to get benched or for this team to bottom out but he's not good enough to get you to the playoffs either. A lot of fans and obviously the coaching staff haven't figured out the second part of that yet because the first part is so in your face and obvious.

Unfortunately because of his playstyle he'll continue to get contracts in this league, all the while never taking a team anywhere and be boring as crap to watch.

People like to harp on the WRs being bad, well you have no idea how bad or good they are when they don't get thrown the ball. I've seen less talented WRs and WRs corps do more over the years with better QBing. For a recent example look at the Vikings last year...Adam Thelan and Stefon Diggs are nothing to write home about, they're not top tier WRs, they're just a fresh body really and both went for over 900 yards. They also were targeted 200 times between them.

Here, at the pace we're going, we'll be lucky if the entire WRs corps gets targeted 200 times.

Turf
10-09-2017, 12:24 PM
The NFL is a flawed and thin league. In order to maximize profit at every corner, they have rosters that are too small and salary caps that can't support more players, cameras, cheer leaders, full time refs, and the list goes on.

Most teams are 2-3 injuries away from failure.

ghz in pittsburgh
10-09-2017, 01:03 PM
They're flawed at QB.

That measuring stick is very high. I guess only NE and Green Bay are not flawed at QB in the entire league.

If your philosophy is wait until we get a perfect QB, then you are looking at the Browns and keep on tanking.

Mr. Pink
10-09-2017, 03:26 PM
That measuring stick is very high. I guess only NE and Green Bay are not flawed at QB in the entire league.

If your philosophy is wait until we get a perfect QB, then you are looking at the Browns and keep on tanking.

There is no difference in going 1-15 or 7-9. Just at 1-15 you have better capital to get difference makers. Whether or not you don't screw up on those difference makers is whole 'nother ball of wax.

Thing is, even the Browns in the perpetual rebuilding because they don't know how to select difference makers, have even made the playoffs this century.

You almost have to be actively trying to not reach the playoffs in 18 years the way the middle of the pack in this league is so close to one another.

There are about half a dozen teams in this league set at QB, barring injury. Those teams are generally in the playoffs year in and year out. New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Seattle are perennial playoff teams. I'd say Oakland is pretty set. Indy is, when Luck isn't hurt. Dallas is looking that way with Prescott. Even with Dalton and Flacco respectively being terrible playoff QBs, they do enough in the regular season and one of those two teams makes the playoffs every year.

The Bills are nowhere near as close as a team like Cincy at QB, let alone Green Bay. I won't even mention New England as as much as you want to hate him, Brady is a top five all time QB and competing with that is nigh impossible.

YardRat
10-09-2017, 05:23 PM
Depth is a huge issue.

It's worked OK so far with the safeties and cornerbacks.