X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

The Bills are a flawed AND thin team.

From the outset, we know there are big unknowns at entire secondary, the linebackers, at WRs, right side O-line. And then depth at RBs, TEs.

The depth at RBs is a mis-management by McDermiott.

I omit the QB because everyone knows the story: they like to upgrade, probably through draft next year but they take what is best available now.

Thru 5 games, we see that the safeties are lights out. They hit on both FAs there. Not sure about depth though, as they didn't draft any one.

Corners they hit on White and Gaines. But very little after that. I'm still not sure they have to trade away Seymour.

The linebackers are a weak link on this team. But they manage to hide it so far. No one steps up big time. Like the broadcasters said today, if Brown and Alexander are on the field, teams know the former is in coverage and the later is rushing up field. I would not be surprised as the season goes on, teams exploit this area more.

The WRs turn out to be the weakest link of this team, especially with the Zay Jones issues thus far. They don't have that guy other teams fear for. Looking back, the front office clearly does not put winning this year ahead of future plans. So they kind of made the bed with the trade of Watkins and they are sleep in it now.

The O-lines was hit by an unexpected injury of Glenn. There is hope if he's back after the bye to make it a better line overall. When I first saw he was active for the game, the thought of showcase and a trade came to my mind because Glenn would garner value and Handerson is due to coming back.

TEs are actually perform better than I expected. But they don't have a good blocking one.

McCoy is one guy. I think not tendering Gillislee had a big impact on the offense and I put this completely on McDermott. He probably fell in love to Tolbert since he brought him over from Carolina. Gillislee is not a place holder (like Tolbert) when McCoy needs a breather. I think the running games suffers a great deal there.

I'm not as optimistic as some here about Bills chances for a playoff spot. Mainly because the team is very thin. We'll see what they do during the bye. The Bills may have some pieces they can offer to other teams, like OT, DT (Washington) that are valued this year in NFL.
  • BLUTO
    • Mar 2017

Re: The Bills are a flawed AND thin team.

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
    From the outset, we know there are big unknowns at entire secondary, the linebackers, at WRs, right side O-line. And then depth at RBs, TEs.

The depth at RBs is a mis-management by McDermiott.

I omit the QB because everyone knows the story: they like to upgrade, probably through draft next year but they take what is best available now.

Thru 5 games, we see that the safeties are lights out. They hit on both FAs there. Not sure about depth though, as they didn't draft any one.

Corners they hit on White and Gaines. But very little after that. I'm still not sure they have to trade away Seymour.

The linebackers are a weak link on this team. But they manage to hide it so far. No one steps up big time. Like the broadcasters said today, if Brown and Alexander are on the field, teams know the former is in coverage and the later is rushing up field. I would not be surprised as the season goes on, teams exploit this area more.

The WRs turn out to be the weakest link of this team, especially with the Zay Jones issues thus far. They don't have that guy other teams fear for. Looking back, the front office clearly does not put winning this year ahead of future plans. So they kind of made the bed with the trade of Watkins and they are sleep in it now.

The O-lines was hit by an unexpected injury of Glenn. There is hope if he's back after the bye to make it a better line overall. When I first saw he was active for the game, the thought of showcase and a trade came to my mind because Glenn would garner value and Handerson is due to coming back.

TEs are actually perform better than I expected. But they don't have a good blocking one.

McCoy is one guy. I think not tendering Gillislee had a big impact on the offense and I put this completely on McDermott. He probably fell in love to Tolbert since he brought him over from Carolina. Gillislee is not a place holder (like Tolbert) when McCoy needs a breather. I think the running games suffers a great deal there.

I'm not as optimistic as some here about Bills chances for a playoff spot. Mainly because the team is very thin. We'll see what they do during the bye. The Bills may have some pieces they can offer to other teams, like OT, DT (Washington) that are valued this year in NFL.

Comment

• BLUTO
      • Mar 2017

This is all obvious to anyone that follows the roster moves. Glenn was injured last year and all of pre-season. His lack of playing time was not 'unexpected'. Humber and Alexander are pretty good LB's.

I don't know what information you are basing this post on???

Comment

• SpikedLemonade
        • Jun 2024

YES

Comment

• Joe Fo Sho
          Making Spirits Bright
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by ghz in pittsburgh View Post
          Do we have depth at QB? I think we should find out.

Comment

• Historian
            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
            • Dec 2002

The process needs a new engineer.

Comment

• BillyT92679
              • Jul 2002

Juan Castillo is a big problem. They're running the exact wrong style of blocking schemes.
              Let's Go BILLS and SU ORANGE![IMhttp://www.billszone.com/fanzone/attachment.php?attachmentid=&stc=1G]

Comment

• SWBillzbacker
                • Aug 2017

Not saying there is any point made in the thread that I don't agree with....but going into our bye-week, if someone said we would be 3-2, would you have believed it????

No. No true analyst or football guru would have for the exact reasons and points made in this thread.

Myself, I had the Bills at 1-4 going into the bye-week and if you think of it, the Bills were one Zay Jones completion from beating the best team in the NFL (Panthers) so cudos to McDermitt and staff.

However....the point is so true that this seasons roster IS depleted and that lands solely at the feet of Brandon Beane who seemed to want to wash his hands of the Whaley era.

Whaley did decide on Gillislee, Goodwin, and Woods purely out of salary-cap related issues in relation to free-agency and all 3 got great contracts where they went.

The other decisions of the Sammy and Darby trades....the release of Roby-Coleman, Seymour and head-scratching trade of Ragland for a 4th are again, at the feet of Beane.

Btw....Ragland's supposed 'non-fit' was blown out of proportion and taken completely out of context by local and national media once Beane publicly attempted to justify the trade by throwing Ragland under the bus. Tough stance when admittedly was a medical issue revealed later that Raglands demotion was purely an attempt at practicing a healing injury that was no where near 100% at expectation. Btw....he played well last night for KC!!!!
                "In McBeane I trust"....the dynamic duo

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

Our offense is a mess. Taylor is not great anyway, but with a poor offensive line, a less than ordinary wide receiver corps, and an ineffective running game (wasting McCoy because of the O-line's bad blocking or blocking schemes), I see us falling out of the playoff picture relatively soon after the bye week. Our good D just won't be able to overcome such a lousy offense.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• SWBillzbacker
                    • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Jan Reimers View Post
                    Our offense is a mess. Taylor is not great anyway, but with a poor offensive line, a less than ordinary wide receiver corps, and an ineffective running game (wasting McCoy because of the O-line's bad blocking or blocking schemes), I see us falling out of the playoff picture relatively soon after the bye week. Our good D just won't be able to overcome such a lousy offense.
                    We're also banged-up....injuries are playing a significant role; however, we are still in the mix at 3-2 with a bye-week to get healthy going into a favorable matchup against the Titans

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                      • Sep 2009

Depth is a huge issue.

The only WR signed through 2018 is Zay Jones, think about that for a minute. Entire new group for 2018.

Comment

• SWBillzbacker
                        • Aug 2017

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
                        Depth is a huge issue.

The only WR signed through 2018 is Zay Jones, think about that for a minute. Entire new group for 2018.
                        That appears to be Beane's plan....

Comment

• streetkings01
                          • Jul 2006

This is year 1 of a rebuild.........what were you guys expecting?
                          You can call me streetkings

Comment

• kingJofNYC
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by SWBillzbacker View Post
                            That appears to be Beane's plan....
                            No doubt, this was the plan all along, we just got off to a hot start and fans forgot the composition of this team.

Comment

• SWBillzbacker
                              • Aug 2017

Originally posted by kingJofNYC View Post
                              No doubt, this was the plan all along, we just got off to a hot start and fans forgot the composition of this team.
                              Well said.

McDermott and his staff are coaching this team up....esp. when you take injuries into consideration.

This is reason enough for Optimism about "The Plan"....it appears to be a culture change, if you will.

Comment

Working...
                              X