PDA

View Full Version : Bills Players Get 700 Pounds of Chicken Per Week

DraftBoy
10-10-2017, 02:25 PM
http://www.espn.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/29391/feeding-an-nfl-team-for-a-week-get-700-pounds-of-chicken-for-starters

Some NFL players weigh more than 300 pounds. If you think those players can walk into their team cafeteria and eat whatever they want, think again. In the ultra-competitive modern NFL, players and teams are looking to gain an advantage wherever they can. Nutrition has become an important component of building a winning team, which means NFL teams carefully control what players eat while they're in the practice facility.

On a typical afternoon in the Buffalo Bills' cafeteria, which was expanded in 2014, salmon, chicken, broccoli and asparagus are on the menu -- but no burgers, fries, ice cream or sweets. "Everything is going to be as healthy as possible," assistant strength and conditioning coach Will Greenberg said in August. "The idea is if we can give [players] as many good nutrients as possible while they're here, there's going to be times where guys go and they want cheeseburgers somewhere -- they're going to have that, that's going to be their choice, that's fine. But if we can give them three meals here and maybe a take-home meal, that's a great chance for guys to eat healthy all the time."

The Bills' cafeteria serves about 250 people per day, which includes players, coaches and staff members. The kitchen staff arrives as early as 4 a.m. to begin preparations for the day and serves food until about 7 o'clock at night. Greenberg works with a nutritionist twice per week to determine menus for players, but one favorite snack has stuck.

Inside look at how the Bills feed the players and something nice to read to pass the bye week.

baalworship
10-10-2017, 03:21 PM
Grass fed beef? Good call.

"All of the food in the Bills' cafeteria is cooked in coconut oil or grass-fed butter. The team does not use canola oil or processed oils. If players want to add fat to their meal, there are small containers of fish oil and olive oil available."

This is pretty much how I eat. It works great and your energy soars when you avoid the fried foods, vegetable oils, and wheat. Looks like Bulletproof/Paleo influenced.

Mouldsie
10-10-2017, 08:46 PM
I cant believe it took until 2014 for an NFL team to start thinking about nutrition. Better late than never?

Skooby
10-10-2017, 08:52 PM
Dareus has his deepfried.

Topas
10-11-2017, 02:01 AM
I cant believe it took until 2014 for an NFL team to start thinking about nutrition. Better late than never?
I did not read the article, but I hope it does not say that they are thinking about it for the first time. I hope this is only a snapshot of the current status and not something new. Or is it? I mean we are talking about the Bills.

Mouldsie
10-11-2017, 10:24 AM
I remember when Chip Kelly came to the NFL he was "revolutionary" because he actually used science to plan nutrition for his players and used newer strength and conditioning methods. Other NFL teams began to follow suit when Eagles players were talking about how much more fit they were vs the previous regime. Chip then lost his competitive edge I guess lol

YardRat
10-11-2017, 05:50 PM
Teams have been 'concerned' about the players' diets and nutrition for a long time, it just has evolved over the years like the rest of the game.

Night Train
10-11-2017, 07:02 PM
Pats players go through 700 jars of Vaseline a week.

DraftBoy
10-12-2017, 05:49 PM
Pats players go through 700 jars of Vaseline an evening.

Fixed.