PDA

View Full Version : Bye Week Adjustments

golfball323
10-12-2017, 09:09 AM
feel free to post any ideas you'd like to see implemented for the rest of the season:

Here are mine:

1. Move Ryan Groy to RG.

2. Activate Joe Banyard & decrease Tolbert's touches to 4> a game.

3. Put in a trick play or two. When's the last time we saw something that made us say "Where did that come from!?"

4. Increase Marcel's workload. Would like to see him begin manning the center next to KW a bit more.

Bill Cody
10-12-2017, 09:28 AM
I'd like to see the Peterman option implemented for the remaining games. Does that count as a trick play?

ghz in pittsburgh
10-12-2017, 09:35 AM
I'm not sure about the current bye week routine in NFL any more. Used to be they work Monday - Wednesday, focusing on things they want to fix, even bigger changes (like new blocking scheme, new guy to start in a position etc.). Then they are off until Sunday.

With the lack of news from OBD in terms of personnel, I guess all internal changes, adjustments right now.

BertSquirtgum
10-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Don't the players have the bye week off?

SpikedLemonade
10-12-2017, 12:25 PM
I'd like to see the Peterman option implemented for the remaining games. Does that count as a trick play?

I would say it is the smart play.

sukie
10-12-2017, 04:43 PM
Wildcat... that trick always works

BOBM253
10-12-2017, 05:40 PM
1. scrap the zone blocking scheme and go back to what was successful last year.
2. Delete McCoy stretch plays.
3. Let Tyrod scramble more as well as with some designed running plays.
4. Have plays where Tyrod has a 3 step drop with only the immediate option to throw or throw away. 1-2-3 throw
5. Install more play action passes.

6. Put Banyard as backup RB

sudzy
10-12-2017, 06:00 PM
3. Put in a trick play or two. When's the last time we saw something that made us say "Where did that come from!?"

4. Increase Marcel's workload. Would like to see him begin manning the center next to KW a bit more.

3. Why does it seem that"trick plays" end up being big plays more times for the defense then the offense?

4. If Marcel wants to play hard, then play him more. If not, then don't bother increasing his work load.

YardRat
10-12-2017, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I think Groy deserves pt, don't understand why he isn't getting any. Would like to see Banyard get some too.

Not a fan of trick plays, a team has to get consistently good at the basics before the tricks work adequately.

Also like the adjustments with Tyrod...I've said this in other threads, but let him drop back, one read, and if it isn't there dump it off or run.

Find a FA WR to bring on board, or bring up Reilly.

justasportsfan
10-12-2017, 08:13 PM
Hire someone else to be the run coordinator. I think Castillo is in over his head trying to be OL coach and run coordinator.

Whatever it is, our run game blows. We need to fix it.

endzone
10-12-2017, 09:24 PM
I would say it is the smart play.

Agreed! I won't try to explain the move but I can feel the move!

stuckincincy
10-12-2017, 10:46 PM
Stop making the safties play CB. This is stiffing the LB corps.

djjimkelly
10-13-2017, 06:04 AM

i think if we ran 5 pass plays in a game where the ball came out on time it would be considered trickery

jamze132
10-13-2017, 07:03 AM
1. Redesign the run game to take advantage of our strengths.

2. Call shorter WR routes designed to give Tyrod 1/2 looks before improvising, which he excels at.

3. Blitz more to create pressure on opposing passers.

4. Let Ryan Groy play RG.

baalworship
10-13-2017, 07:25 AM
Cut Ducasse, Start Groy.
Fire Dennison and Castillo. Let anyone else call the plays and use the power blocking concepts that fit the players.
Start Cordy Glenn at LT, move Dawkins to RT.
Activate Reilly from PS, bench Zay Jones.
Tyrod can make one read, if not there run.

Mr. Magoo
10-13-2017, 07:28 AM
bring up Reilly.

Agree 100%. I have been say this for weeks.

The Beef
10-13-2017, 11:11 AM
Jamze nailed it.

Dennison needs to throw it his zone blocking scheme. It's not working, it doesn't appear that it will work with this unit.

There also should be a major reshuffling on the line.

As mentioned Groy should be inserted over Ducasse and Miller. If that's the case I'd slide Cordy to RT and let Dawkins continue at LT. I also have no problem with flipping Cordy and Dawkins, if Cordy is healthy. He and Richie have been very good lined up next to eachother.

If McD is dead set on not inserting Groy, then I'd prefer Cordy inserted at RG with Henderson at RT after the suspension. At this point get your most talented grouping on the field and hope for the best.

psubills62
10-13-2017, 03:37 PM
Sign Navorro Bowman.

ParanoidAndroid
10-13-2017, 07:07 PM
This stuff makes me chuckle.

cookie G
10-13-2017, 08:52 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-by-average-grade-week-5

22. Buffalo Bills
Average offensive lineman grade: 57.0

While Richie Incognito is among the top 10 guards in the NFL once again, the rest of Buffalo’s line has been unable to come near to playing at his level. The unit has played well in pass protection as they rank seventh in the league with a pass blocking efficiency rating of 82.2, having allowed just 38 pressures on 171 pass blocking snaps. However, the issues come with run-blocking, where basically everyone but Incognito has a poor grade so far. The Bills run more outside zone plays than anyone in the league, leading the NFL with 76 attempts, but they rank just 17th in yards before contact, averaging just 1.06 yards on these plays.

Just last year, with the same linemen, the yards before contact figure was around 3 yards, best in the league by a long shot..

The off balance, innovative quirky, power running game last year has been replaced with a steady dose of "stretch play left".

Take note..."the Bills run more outside zone plays than anyone else in the league, leading the NFL with 76 attempts (that is a full 50% of the rushing plays attempts this year, more when you consider TT's carries)"

You can blame Clay, Matthews, TT, or whoever else you want for the severe drop in the run game...

but the culprit's name is Dennison.

There's a reason Denver's running game went from bottom 6 last year to top 5 this year.

So....

lock him in the closet on game days and let a committee of TT, Shady, Incognito and Wood call the plays.

stuckincincy
10-13-2017, 09:53 PM
On offense...quick hitches. And grab this bunch of WR's by the neck and shake them silly, until they learn to keep eyes back to what's going on around LOS and what their QB is doing.

McCoy knows, and does it.

The BUF OC really has to work provide dump off targets for TT. The other teams learned last year, and how to combat TT.

Simple strategy.

SpikedLemonade
10-14-2017, 07:32 AM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-by-average-grade-week-5

22. Buffalo Bills

While Richie Incognito is among the top 10 guards in the NFL once again, the rest of Buffalo’s line has been unable to come near to playing at his level. The unit has played well in pass protection as they rank seventh in the league with a pass blocking efficiency rating of 82.2, having allowed just 38 pressures on 171 pass blocking snaps. However, the issues come with run-blocking, where basically everyone but Incognito has a poor grade so far. The Bills run more outside zone plays than anyone in the league, leading the NFL with 76 attempts, but they rank just 17th in yards before contact, averaging just 1.06 yards on these plays.

Just last year, with the same linemen, the yards before contact figure was around 3 yards, best in the league by a long shot..

The off balance, innovative quirky, power running game last year has been replaced with a steady dose of "stretch play left".

Take note..."the Bills run more outside zone plays than anyone else in the league, leading the NFL with 76 attempts (that is a full 50% of the rushing plays attempts this year, more when you consider TT's carries)"

You can blame Clay, Matthews, TT, or whoever else you want for the severe drop in the run game...

but the culprit's name is Dennison.

There's a reason Denver's running game went from bottom 6 last year to top 5 this year.

So....

lock him in the closet on game days and let a committee of TT, Shady, Incognito and Wood call the plays.

I agree that play calling is a problem but the talent on the OL is simply NOT there.

cookie G
10-14-2017, 10:22 AM
I agree that play calling is a problem but the talent on the OL is simply NOT there.

Any idea what it takes to average nearly 3 yards before contact on a run play? The Bills blew away the rest of the league in that category.

Playcalling isn't A problem, it is THE problem.

swiper
10-14-2017, 10:33 AM
You've said that.

cookie G
10-14-2017, 10:57 AM
You've said that.

I did.

I haven't bought in to the offensive run game.

I'm sure McBeane is trying to trade me for a Panthers fan as we speak.

YardRat
10-14-2017, 11:25 AM

22. Buffalo Bills

Isn't PFF the same source that Mouldsie uses to show Taylor having the least amount of time to throw in the league? Doesn't exactly match up with the bolded, does it?

cookie G
10-14-2017, 12:21 PM
Isn't PFF the same source that Mouldsie uses to show Taylor having the least amount of time to throw in the league? Doesn't exactly match up with the bolded, does it?

In some respects, it pass pro has gotten better, especially since they implemented more roll outs and PA after the Carolina game.

So is there a point in here somewhere?

YardRat
10-14-2017, 02:06 PM
In some respects, it pass pro has gotten better, especially since they implemented more roll outs and PA after the Carolina game.
So is there a point in here somewhere?

Not a point as much as a question, and not necessarily directly relevant to your point about the run game...but tangentially.

How credible is a source that can conclude the offensive line is really good in pass pro (seventh) but really bad in time to throw (31st)?

SpikedLemonade
10-14-2017, 07:34 PM
I did.

I haven't bought in to the offensive run game.

I'm sure McBeane is trying to trade me for a Panthers fan as we speak.

He was offered a jags fan but he is holding out for more.

You should appreciate the compliment.