PDA

View Full Version : Bills O-LINE is terrible!

BLUTO
10-13-2017, 08:29 PM
An article from Pro Football Focus (below) says it all. Have you ever heard of Glenn being mentioned as an All-Pro? I have always questioned Woods strength at Center. He can't knock people off the line of scrimmage. Groy did last season when Eric was injured. He's one of the highest paid Bills and doesn't deserve that distinction. Miller? Has anyone seen a clip of him doing anything? A great block? He's invisible. And, and doesn't dominate anyone. Poor Jordan Bills was released by the Bears. He just gets by but actually hustles doing his best.

Pro Football Focus looked at their grades for every single offensive lineman in the NFL to put together a list, ranking the best-to-worst blocking units (https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-by-average-grade-week-5?utm_content=buffer1a5b1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=nfl) in the league. The scores are derived from the average of each of the five starting linemen’s grade.

Unsurprisingly, the Bills’ found themselves towards the bottom of the league, ranked No. 22 with an average grade of 57.0.

While Richie Incognito is among the top 10 guards in the NFL once again, the rest of Buffalo’s line has been unable to come near to playing at his level.

The unit has played well in pass protection as they rank seventh in the league with a pass blocking efficiency rating of 82.2, having allowed just 38 pressures on 171 pass blocking snaps. However, the issues come with run-blocking, where basically everyone but Incognito has a poor grade so far. The Bills run more outside zone plays than anyone in the league, leading the NFL with 76 attempts, but they rank just 17th in yards before contact, averaging just 1.06 yards on these plays.

Night Train
10-14-2017, 04:59 AM
Bills have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds next April. Outside of QB, take a guess at what they will focus on.

jamze132
10-14-2017, 05:06 AM
Bills have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds next April. Outside of QB, take a guess at what they will focus on.

I hope you’re right and we don’t draft a RB or a DB in the first or second.

sudzy
10-14-2017, 05:24 AM
This line was built for the straight ahead blocking scheme Rex/Roman ran. So let's bring in someone that runs a zone blocking scheme, so we can get as far away as we can, from what these players do well. It's the Bills way.

SpikedLemonade
10-14-2017, 05:29 AM
Told you so....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q55Gmey7wE

ublinkwescore
10-14-2017, 05:32 AM
Qb, ol and wr should be our top priorities...

sudzy
10-14-2017, 05:38 AM

They should be 3 of the teams 4 picks in the first and second round next year with the 4th being LB.

swiper
10-14-2017, 05:47 AM

And, of course, CB.

sudzy
10-14-2017, 05:50 AM
And, of course, CB.

Depth. I think White and Gaines are good fits in this defense and (for the most part) have done a good job. I don't think any of our starting LBs are good fits.

djjimkelly
10-14-2017, 06:20 AM
i still dont understand what is going on with cordy glenn

i hear some reports that he was a healthy scratch

then i heard tasker on wgr saying he isnt 100%

what is the truth? as far as i have seen glenn was a decent player. what is the truth healthy scratch or hurt?

swiper
10-14-2017, 06:28 AM
i still dont understand what is going on with cordy glenn

I think McDermott is working to get players to 100% buy in to him and his plan or get out.

For the some players it was easy for him. If they don't come on board, they're out. Gillislee. Gilmour. etc, etc, etc.

But guys like Glenn & Dareus have potential in his system and if he can get them to buy in, they can stay. But the players may be pushing back.

The Beef
10-14-2017, 06:50 AM
Depth. I think White and Gaines are good fits in this defense and (for the most part) have done a good job. I don't think any of our starting LBs are good fits.

Gaines is a FA, CB is in play.

OL, LB, CB, DT and WR are all in play, and QB of course.

Shady isn't getting any younger, if they can't land a QB and Saquon Barkley falls to them I wouldn't be upset with them throwing a first at a RB.

sudzy
10-14-2017, 06:59 AM
Gaines is a FA, CB is in play.

OL, LB, CB, DT and WR are all in play, and QB of course.

Shady isn't getting any younger, if they can't land a QB and Saquon Barkley falls to them I wouldn't be upset with them throwing a first at a RB.

Well, it's a good thing the have 6 picks in the first two days. Good RBs can be found outside of the first, see Kareem Hunt. This team has invested a couple of 1st on RBs in the drought and hasn't helped end it. This team needs to come out of the 1st with a QB.

kishoph
10-14-2017, 07:15 AM
This line was built for the straight ahead blocking scheme Rex/Roman ran. So let's bring in someone that runs a zone blocking scheme, so we can get as far away as we can, from what these players do well. It's the Bills way.

The Bills used mostly zone blocking under Lynn in 2016 and they were most successful team (yardage) last season with zone blocking.

SpikedLemonade
10-14-2017, 07:28 AM

This crap happens every year and we rarely rarely invest in the OL early.

Look at the other thread where some posters are suggesting we also draft LBs and RBs.

This has been two decades of OL neglect.

Night Train
10-14-2017, 07:37 AM
This crap happens every year and we rarely rarely invest in the OL early.Look at the other thread where some posters are suggesting we also draft LBs and RBs.This has been two decades of OL neglect.

Were Beane and McDermott here ?

Thanks for playing..

SpikedLemonade
10-14-2017, 07:38 AM
Were Beane and McDermott here ?

Thanks for playing..

Does it/will it make a difference?

kingJofNYC
10-14-2017, 07:47 AM
When healthy Glenn has graded very well on PFF so I'm not sure why you're pointing him out, just go look up his past grades since you seem to be interested in PFF.

Wood is overrated, he's too up and down.

cookie G
10-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Why why why do people insist on doing this?

For the past 2 years..in terms of run blocking, the line could have been considered ....dominant. The numbers bear out that fact.

So this year, they bring in an OC who has about 3 running plays in his playbook...and the OL can't run block any more?

Please....

Hasn't 2 years with Rex Ryan taught people anything about putting players in crappy positions and then wondering why they fail?

Good lord people.

Under Rex, a front 4 that led the league in sacks for 2 years suddenly couldn't pass rush any more, according to many. And Preston Brown and Nigel Bradham were considered by some as the worst LB's in the history of the team. None of that was true.

Now, the OL that has led the NFL in rushing for 2 years all of the sudden has forgotten how to run block.

Please...stop the madness.

Denver's run game has improved dramatically after Dennison left.
Baltimore's run game has equally improved after Juan Castillo left and Greg Roman took over the run game.
Buffalo's run game has taken a huge dive since these two got here.

It isn't a coincidence.

baalworship
10-14-2017, 01:53 PM
Greg Roman is considered the top run game coach in the NFL. So when he left it was going to be a big loss. Dennison has been fetching coffee for Kubiak. Dennison and Castillo should both be shown the door.

The run game helped hide the flaws of TT. Now that TT does not have the top rushing game in the NFL his flaws are easily exposed.

justasportsfan
10-14-2017, 03:41 PM
This crap happens every year and we rarely rarely invest in the OL early.

Yes we do. Not all pan out but we do. We also had a top OL under DEAlessandres (sp)

endzone
10-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Greg Roman is considered the top run game coach in the NFL. So when he left it was going to be a big loss. Dennison has been fetching coffee for Kubiak. Dennison and Castillo should both be shown the door.

The run game helped hide the flaws of TT. Now that TT does not have the top rushing game in the NFL his flaws are easily exposed.

Have we won anything with that STRONG running game??? You gotta throw the ball effectively to win in the NFL.

baalworship
10-14-2017, 06:39 PM
Have we won anything with that STRONG running game??? You gotta throw the ball effectively to win in the NFL.

Hey, I am the biggest proponent of building a modern, NFL passing offense. But it's not like their regression in the run game has made them a better passing team. Now they suck at both.

Wally The Barber
10-15-2017, 07:16 AM
I was just looking at AFC East Standings....

Oh look, the Bills are in first place

BertSquirtgum
10-16-2017, 10:53 AM
I would say that o-line is made to look terrible because of how bad their quarterback is.